Freddy Shepherd Wants To Buy Real Mallorca

There are several reports this Sunday morning, that former Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd, is set to launch a £32M bid to buy Spanish first division side Real Mallorca.

freddy-shepherd-14.jpg

Freddy Shepherd – wants to buy Real Mallorca

Shepherd has a holiday home on the island of Mallorca, and has already been linked previously with moves to invest in a number of English clubs, including Leeds United, Bolton Wanderers and Sheffield Wednesday.

It turns out that Real Mallorca’s President, Vicenc Grande, has put his 93% of the club’s shares up for sale for 40M Euros (about £32M)

But Grande would prefer to sell to a Spanish buyer, and may even raise the price if he has to sell to Shepherd.

Shepherd received around £37M from the sale of his 29% stake in Newcastle United to Mike Ashley about a year ago, and he seems to have the money to buy the Spanish club, although not the money to fund big transfers into the club.

The 65-year-old would like to buy 100% of the shares of the club, who finished in 7th place in the Spanish league last season.

It’s interesting that Newcastle United are expected to play a tournament that will be hosted by Real Mallorca in early August, as pre-season preparation.

Shepherd and his lawyers are expected to open negotiations this coming week.

• JJ

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Good, maybe the big man can help us use the club as a feeder club for Newcastle. Or sell us their best players on the cheap…

OPn another topic, Im starting to worry about if this Turan deal takes place. The lads not exactly a teenager and he cant even make the Turkish starting team. Why would we want to pay 11Mil for a player like that. Rather keep N’Zogbia!!!!

No no no to Turan for me!!!!

• Tom4Nufc

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Oh no! There club will be ruined withing 5 years!

• Toonboy

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Good luck

• Indian tøon

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:19 AM

God save the club from this man..

• ToonKing

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:29 AM

well at least he’ll be in another country….

• neeraj

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:36 AM

god save mallorca,

• sirjasontoon

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:40 AM

I bet he starts buying them some great players though i.e backing his manager.

On a different subject it has been reported that Keegan has been pushed to the outer fringes of any involvement in player recruitment by Wise and his team of “dilly dallys” I am worried that players just don’t like Dennis Wise and that he will be unable to land any decent players.

There is a deafining silence coming out of Newcastle as player after player seems to snub the club and I have to admit I have not been so depressed in ages.

I had my doubts about Ashley and his ambition and news yesterday about Joey being asked to take a wage cut is again seeming like serious penny pinching from where I am sitting.

Joey is without doubt a liability but at the end of the day he is a Newcastle player I suggest we try and get him help one last time and then start making decisions and if all else fails then sell him.

I was so pleased when Mike was appointed and really expected money to flood into the the club on decent transfers looking back at the winter window I think I was certain then that this owner was not all he was cracked up to be..I will wait to be proved wrong but it might be a long wait.

• 51times

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Sucks for Mallorca

• Leo

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:32 AM

aww i feel sorry for real mallorca

if only it was madrid and then he could fvuk them up and then have to sell on their star players

• michael

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Utter “sir” jason toon, if that is your real name….

How can you justify wanted to spend all someone else’s money on expensive foreigners and complain about the”deafening silence” when the transfer window is only 8 days old and in the middle of a major tournament.

As far as penny pinching goes… Well it’s about bloody time. We were £100million pounds in debt this time last year. And why would you want to add to that? Think what will happen to Chelsea when Abramovich evetually f**ks off (probably quite soon to be honest). They already owe him in excess of £300 million. I applaud Mike Ashley for wanting to have a sustainable stable club. I think Keegan will be given at least 3 seasons to see what he can do. I expect that as opposed to wasting 9million quid on a player unable to make the Turkey team we watch and see if he’s actually any good.
    Wages should be around 50% of annual turnover of any bussiness. At NUFC they are about 80% which is ridiculous for such an underperforming bunch of players. If we start think with our heads instead of our hearts then we should definitely use this opportunity to halve Barton’s wages, sell Duff, Smith, Ameobi, Geremi, Rozenhal, Cacapa and look for replacements who will play their hearts out for half of the money these guys earn.

• michael

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Also it’s funny to see that Fat Fred did such a number on us, that not even a debt ridden club recently out of administration and plying their trade in the third tier of English football would welcome his money. I think the correct name for this punishment used to be “banishment”.

• Obafan

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Don’t care what FF does… The only thing I care about is the activity Ashley does and so far it seems nothing more then saving money (all players need to get lower wages). I’m starting to fear what will happen to my beloved club.

• CRAIGG

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Obviously if he’s got a holiday home on Mallorca then he must be buying them

My nans got a caravan in Prestatyn and shes apparantly according to the mail buying out Rhyl FC next month

• Toon_Army

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Bet this story is a load of garbage. We have a pre season tournament coming up with Real Mallorca and another two teams ( I forget who) in it.

Complete rubbish 😀

• najikhin

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:43 PM

freddie..dont forget to sign luque for your new club..

• seetow

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:45 PM

LOL good luck mallorca

• Bill F SPLASH THE CASH ASH

Jun 8, 2008 at 1:10 PM

He will probably bring in a certain ex Toon manager as well. 😉

• ronaldeano

Jun 8, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Well im glad the fat thieving pig is barred from our great club. The place smells fresher now 🙂

• CRAIGG

Jun 8, 2008 at 1:12 PM

It does that Deano!!!

• M. Stockley

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:07 PM

ugly fat sackof shit… why dont you buy spurs, thats the onlything u could do right now that would makeme dislike you more.

• Michael12

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Look, I think Fat Fred while having made bad appointments in the past did not do so to see the club crash. You forget the objective of any business is to maximise shareholder wealth.

Fred made decisions to improve is wealth but unfortunately not the right ones. In business you make gambles and Fred made some poor gambles but we only found out after they went wrong.

Fred, unlike Ashley made audacious signings, buying Shearer, Owen. He showed so much faith in Souness by backing him with £50 Mill.

Ashley is dithering and hiding.

• M. Stockley

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:24 PM

fat freddy is a prick dude!

• ronaldeano

Jun 8, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Micheal12, Shepherd is a fat thieving ginger tosspot, enough said.

• Michael12

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I agree Ronadeno, he was over weight and made some not very popular decisions but that is business. Frankly he did a good job of business for his pockets. Improved his wealth which is the reason he was a shareholder, no?

But let us also agree, that he was not afraid to show us where the money is when it came to signings. He was by no means as frugal as Ashley

• Rich

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Least he had ambition, i hate Ashley!

• Michael12

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I am not backing Freddy because I hate Ashley. I hate neither Ashley nor Shepherd. I think both have great business sense and their respective wealth is testimony to this.

Well done to them both. I criticise Ashley because of his reluctance to spend. Pragmatically, it is perhaps his business model, unlike the aggresive approach of

• weismu

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Could you give me your opinion of Shepherd when being the president of Newcastle?
    What do you think about the management in the club: the finances, the transfers and the players purchased?
    Please, give me details to reach some conclusions.
    Has he improved the club in the last years or just the opposite?

Many thanks in advance for the info!!