Joey Barton Refuses Newcastle Deal?


There’s news today in the Daily Mirror, that Joey Barton has refused to take a 50% pay cut at Newcastle United.

joey-barton-92.jpg

Joey Barton – refused the Newcastle offer yesterday?

But we’re not sure if the Mirror has any backing in truth for this story today.

We were looking for news yesterday about Joey’s response, and if some paper is going to take a guess at the outcome, they will obviously say Barton refused it – because that would set up a confrontation and sell more papers.

This Mirror says that Barton refused to speak to Newcastle officials yesterday, but our information is that his agent Willie McKay was supposed to travel to Liverpool, from his Yorkshire home, to talk to Joey about the Newcastle offer yesterday.

We think that Newcastle will also make no formal decision on Joey until after his next and final trial, which is due to start on June 30th.

He is accused of assault against his former Manchester City French team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

Sources close to Joey are said to believe the penalty Newcastle is imposing is far too high – and Joey is said to doubt Newcastle’s motives for coming up with their pay cut suggestion.

But Joey also has to remember that he’s in deep water here, and he’s hardly coming from a position of strength.

It’s not often you read of a professional footballer serving time in jail, not to mention there’s another trial still to come, on a completely different alleged assault.

If Joey makes a fuss at all, and refuses to take the deal Newcastle have offered, the club should cut their losses immediately and end his contract.

The club will no doubt retain his registration so they have some chance to recover some of the £5.8M transfer fee they paid Manchester City last June.

And of course there is also time to ensure we bring in a suitable replacement for Joey during the summer.

It’s interesting in our poll on whether we should keep Joey.

At the time of writing 748 readers want him to go, and 745 want him to stay, and you can still vote if you haven’t already done so, but it couldn’t get much closer than that.

We think this has turned out to be a bad deal for our club.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

40 comments so far

  • Tom_Toon

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:17 AM

    Comment #1

    sack him then. No1 else in the league will take him on the kind of wages hes on afterwards.

    0
  • JC

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM

    Comment #2

    Sack him TODAY!!!

    0
  • Jimi

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

    Comment #3

    He’ll be lucky to get near 30k from a new club when he’s out. I also think it’s a bit harsh a penalty with questionable motives but he has no choice but to take it now. Take it or be a free agent in jail Joey….

    0
  • Tom_Toon

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:25 AM

    Comment #4

    And if he isnt attched to club and Dabo appeals, its very likely he’ll be in there for antoher year.

    0
  • kev

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:28 AM

    Comment #5

    Apparently sources from Setanta sports are saying that Tunisian star Armine Chermiti is on our wanted list. Don’t know anything about this guy or who he plays for , anyone else know more about him? As for barton, he’s had it.

    0
  • broon ale

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:29 AM

    Comment #6

    its about time we distance ourselves from negative headlines. Cutting our ties with joey barton will be a step in the right direction.
    if he hasnt learnt at 25 years of age, he will never learn. He is a liability and I hold big sam partly responsible for convincing the board that he was a gamble worth taking. Egg on our faces now!

    0
  • JJ

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:29 AM

    Comment #7

    Ye, accepting the deal would demonstrate his will to improve as a person.
    If he refuses, he will never be any different ans we should sack him to get some form of compensation.

    0
  • HeronMag

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:30 AM

    Comment #8

    That’s it. Get rid. I was advocating giving the lad a second chance if he agreed to taking a pay cut.

    He’s been given a 2nd chance and hasn’t taken it.

    He obviously doesn’t appreciate what a massive investment Newcastle United made in buying him and we are losing out because of his lack of discipline.

    £6,000,000 down the drain. What a complete waste of money and talent. What club would touch him now?

    0
  • Tom_Toon

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:30 AM

    Comment #9

    kevvvvvv, where??????????????

    0
  • Jimmie

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:31 AM

    Comment #10

    IF its true that he has rejected the deal then sack him and keep his registration and hold out for a fee if any other club wants to take the risk to sign him!

    0
  • gonufc

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM

    Comment #12

    Why are we offering him a 50% pay cut, he should be offered a contract of nothing, why on earth would we pay him for being in prison, that’s a joke. If he took this contract that would still be, what 15 – 20 grand a week? That’s just annoying and awful.

    0
  • kev

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM

    Comment #13

    Tom toon, if you go on to http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Newcastle+United you will see the story has come in the last hour.

    0
  • Danish_Magpie

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:39 AM

    Comment #14

    I agree with what the board have done here, and actually tihnk they should be complimented for it. I didn’t agree with sacking him originally, but he must understand he has not lived up to his contract and should not continue to command the big money he is on. Any decent man would say, “right, i’ve messed it up, im not living up to my contract and im not even available for selection. The club are sticking by me, and I will take a paycut to staya and prove myself.”

    If he does anything else, I will be on the “get rid of him” bandwagon. Just a shame, because he is a good player but alas.

    Bring in Manuel Fernandes and Engelaar for the midfield.

    LCM: N’Zogbia, (Milner)
    RCM: Manuel Fernandes, (Geremi)
    CM: Engelaar, (Butt)

    Bring in Pogrebnyak, Elmander, Crouch, Ashton Bendtner (if available) or Gomis (if available), or Arshavin for the strikeforce

    ST: Owen, Oba, (one of the above), Viduka, Carroll, Smith(i know i know.. but it looks like he might stay..)

    Bring in Shorey and Torosiris in defense:

    LB: Shorey (Torosiris)
    RB: Beye (Torosiris)
    CB: Faye, Taylor, Edgar, Cacapa

    GK we are set.

    This would be relatively inexpensive. Yes, we could still use a CB, midfielder, and striker in the above team. But it’s a start..

    0
  • willowtoon

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:40 AM

    Comment #15

    The offer is a legal issue needed before theycan sack him.

    If he refuses then this strengthens the clubs position to sack him but keep the registration.

    With MUTU chelsea sacked him but also lost out on the transfer fee as he got a new employer straight away. The same will go for Barton. We can take a stance but without a shadow of a doubt another club will employ him.

    0
  • liamtoonbirchy

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:43 AM

    Comment #16

    We now need 9 signings

    3 DEF – Kompany, Boulahrouz, Torosidis

    5 MID – Turan, Mattos, Larsson, Aimar, Srna, Ireland

    1 ST – Zigic or Gomis

    0
  • valle

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:44 AM

    Comment #17

    I think its fair that he should take a paycut, i cant see whats so questionable about it… Circumstances has changed since we bought him, and he due to these he is no longer qualified to earn that kind of money. At least we give him a chance instead of just sacking him…

    0
  • drh

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:47 AM

    Comment #18

    simply get rid, who else would get £30k week for sitting in jail?

    Much better options out there for much less money!

    He’s an idiot, not that good, and a liability that WILL continue to cause dressing room unrest if he does eventually return. Sack now but retain registration

    0
  • Beattie

    Jun 11, 2008 at 11:53 AM

    Comment #19

    Get him “Mutu’d”

    0
  • drh

    Jun 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM

    Comment #20

    with emre now injured his move to turkey could go tits up, so as long as he can remain fit, we have one less space in midfield to fill! Yes he is injured, but i think he has again come back too soon for his country, but saying that he was one of the brighter performers for turkey the other night!

    0
  • cam_toon

    Jun 11, 2008 at 12:03 PM

    Comment #21

    Well I think its ridiculous that anyone would think we are giving a hard time to Barton.

    He was told to behave before we signed him.

    He is in JAIL for two violent assaults with another pending case.

    If anyone else here was locked up for 5-6 mnths we would all be sacked without a bat of an eye.

    He is in breach of his contract …. SIMPLE.

    If he does not accept the generous offer of a pay cut then he frankly deserves everything he gets.

    Kick him out.

    Hold his registration.

    Sue him (mutu) to recap the transfer fee.

    A loser / liability like that is not welcome at our beloved club.

    0
  • Leo

    Jun 11, 2008 at 12:13 PM

    Comment #22

    he is a fool and will have to rot in prison if this is true, i truely hope the dabo case goes against him now

    scum bag

    0
  • 51times

    Jun 11, 2008 at 12:14 PM

    Comment #23

    If he really has turned it down, there is nothing to do but end his contract.

    0
  • Graeme

    Jun 11, 2008 at 12:15 PM

    Comment #24

    I just cant believe the stupidity of the Board to be honest; They have let this drag on and on and on.

    He should have been sacked the same day he was sentenced to 6 months in jail. His registration should be witheld so that any team stupid enough to want this moron will have to pay a “transfer fee” to take him on.

    Newcastle can then sue Barton for any loss incurred due to his “gross misconduct” as happened to Mutu.

    He should be sacked immediately, if not sooner.

    0
  • ObaFan2

    Jun 11, 2008 at 12:59 PM

    Comment #25

    Barton doesn’t seem to be in a strong position and if he rebuffs this offer then stuff him.

    Someone should let him know the position Mutu is now in, owing Chelsea a fortune!!!!!!

    Barton is certainly old enough to suffer the consequences for his actions.

    0
  • iain

    Jun 11, 2008 at 1:04 PM

    Comment #26

    what a c@nt if its true and to think we paid him a loyalty bonus citeh owed him to get him to nufc.

    i think i might end up in jail if i ever met barton in the street.

    0
  • toonoot

    Jun 11, 2008 at 1:13 PM

    Comment #27

    If his pay is cut to £30,000 per week, that’s £1.5 million a year. ffs

    0
  • Punk Skunk

    Jun 11, 2008 at 1:13 PM

    Comment #28

    Oh, it must be true…it’s in the mirror!?!..
    …I’m sure they’ll have the goods on this story, ‘cos they’re probably livin’ the cell next door, for the crime of purgery!..
    …Gun-jumpin’ & high-horse spring to mind!..

    0
  • stjames

    Jun 11, 2008 at 1:23 PM

    Comment #29

    I’m getting frustrated about this Barton saga. 🙁 It looks to me like our club is taking advantage of Barton’s situation and trying to earn a little money on it. For me that’s a totally wrong approach. Barton is a confirmed criminal and we don’t want criminals in our team.

    The club must show a moral responsibility towards kids and fans. The ethics must be crystal clear. That’s all there´s to it. Sack him!!!

    0
  • Punk Skunk

    Jun 11, 2008 at 1:31 PM

    Comment #30

    Everyone has the right to an opinion on this…
    …But lads, please don’t base it on what the (de)press spout!..
    …They’re shit-stirrin’, tossers!..

    0
  • Bill F SPLASH THE CASH ASH

    Jun 11, 2008 at 1:52 PM

    Comment #31

    I think I made my position clear on this and it more or less agrees with stjames.
    Sack him or back him but don’t pis* him about, there is no honour bought to our club with these type of tacky dealings.

    The case hasn’t been heard yet but I don’t think Dabo actually needs to be there. Its a criminal case not a private one and as long as the CPS feel they have a strong enough case then they will prosecute. Some one correct me if I am wrong. As I understand it there are plenty of people willing to testify against him so the chances are that he will go down for an extended stay. In which case all of the other stuff will be irrelevent and his contract terminated.
    Might be an idea Ed not running this story again till after the case is heard as most of this speculation is pointless till then.

    0
  • BILLY - B

    Jun 11, 2008 at 2:08 PM

    Comment #32

    Is he still getting paid while he is in jail if so it just proves what an incompetant idiot fat freddie is to give someone of Bartons history a contract without safeguards. Apart from that there should be no ifs or buts he must be sacked now and his regestration kept so that when another mug club comes along we can recoop some of the losses.

    0
  • AdamCF

    Jun 11, 2008 at 2:09 PM

    Comment #33

    I’m sure they can sue him for the games that he couldn’t play while he was in the slammer.

    0
  • toon_mad

    Jun 11, 2008 at 2:27 PM

    Comment #34

    my shortlist of players in no order:

    sergio ramos – if only!
    andres Guardado – very pacy wingback
    Jesus Navas – check him out!!!!
    Vincent Kompany
    duda
    Andres D’allasendro – i think pompy loane him years ago but what a playmaker
    Marcelo
    mokoeana
    serghino
    freddy adu
    marclehino
    carlos vela – amazing youngster
    micha richards
    Klose/ibrahimivic
    jouqain
    alkmar have a player called dremble i think – hes good 2 if its the one im thinking of
    Riquelme!!!!!
    Huntelaar
    Berbatov – his mother says he used to sleep in toon top as a kid?
    shearer to come back 🙂
    yakubu
    elmander
    etoo

    ….and if i had to pick 3 out that list:

    -> Riquelme
    -> Jesus Navas
    -> Marcelo or D’allasendra

    sample 11: kk wont have to worry about goals leaked if you score more, like old days 🙂

    Given (gk)
    Enrique (lb)
    Taylor (cb)
    Faye (cb/dm)
    Beye (rb)
    Guardado (lwb) – this fella is fast
    Obagoal (amc/st) – sit in front of midfield
    Riquelme (amc) – best playmaker in world
    D’allesandro (amc) – attacking minded kk 🙂
    Owen (st)
    Huntelaar (st)

    apart from the usual suspects, others you may not of heard of ive seen them play a few times and my mates agree most of em are mint.

    and why are ronaldnhio linked with mancity? we are way better team then them, and spurs. i would love to kill every spurs fan!!!!!

    Defo keep obagoal, and owen convinced me end of season. keep milner taylor and nzogy, get rid barton, viduka,smith,carr,ameobi

    0
  • staffsmag

    Jun 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM

    Comment #35

    Proves that he is only interested in the money and couldn’t give two f**ks about the club, his team mates, the board or the supporters. Sack him now and lets spend the money elsewhere !!!! Scouse tosser !!!!!

    0
  • Lawman

    Jun 11, 2008 at 2:40 PM

    Comment #36

    KK likes the guy but there is no way any other club would take on the challenge of signing this jailbird, let alone offer him £30k.

    Although the PL talks in stupid money terms these days, there are still many good players out there with a much cleaner history than Barton’s being paid less than £30k/week.

    If he accepts it, the £30k deal should be back-dated to the day he was sent to jail.

    I guess if he accepts (which is a bloody good deal for him), it’s not all doom and gloom. Time will heal his reputation and hopefully a good season will help us recoup more of our investment.

    0
  • Nick Dryden

    Jun 11, 2008 at 3:11 PM

    Comment #37

    Enter Mort in his solicitor role before he leaves????? Barton is taking us to court!!!!! The guy really has no shame. We had to pay an extra 300K signing off fee that city wouldn’t pay him!
    This guy is so totally out for himself it’s sickening. He represents everythign that is rotten in society. A moronic thug with no values and class (despite a huge salary) whatsoever.

    0
  • Ian

    Jun 11, 2008 at 3:13 PM

    Comment #38

    He should take the pay cut, downsize to a sensible house, get a sensible car, invest as much as he can and use his money on some sort of professional therapy and improving his education and public image, when he is finished in the game he is finished in life, he can only turn it around while he has income he has now, later on he wouldnt get a job sweeping the streets as he would be considered a danger to be near the public.

    0
  • Frankieboy

    Jun 11, 2008 at 4:12 PM

    Comment #39

    Not bothered if its true or not the club should never have let it come to this.Bad for business.

    0
  • GraemeR

    Jun 11, 2008 at 4:21 PM

    Comment #40

    PAY CUT – the bloke should be SACKED – he is a liability both on and off the pitch. 60K a week and this is how he behaves – I would like to see the PFA back this thug

    0

You must log in to post a comment.