A good article in the Newcastle Journal this morning by Luke Edwards, about how the Newcastle club will be run in the future, and what the priorities are at the club.
Mike Ashley – will become more involved in running Newcastle
The Journal has apparently spoken to a senior member of Newcastle’s board, and has been given some good insight on how the club will be run.
First of all Mike Ashley will take a more active part in the running of the club, after Kevin Keegan told Mike he would need to be more involved if Newcastle were going to be successful.
This happened at their meeting in London on Friday, May 9th and it seems that meeting was a positive one for the club.
One thing that has surprised us is that the source says there is not a drive to reduce the wage bill in the summer.
But nevertheless Ashley wants to build for the future and the stars Newcastle bring in during the summer, should be young, and have their best years ahead of them.
While nothing has been done about incoming transfers so far this summer, that will change when Kevin gets back from his family holiday in a couple of weeks.
That will also be towards the end of the ongoing Euro 2008 Championships, and we are told there should be some significant action at that time with incoming players. That’s good.
The source has also again stressed that the final say on players is Kevin’s and not Dennis Wise.
Dennis and his other two recruitment executives, Tony Jimenez and Jeff Vetere have the vital job of scouting and finally recruiting the players, but the final say on any player will always be with Keegan.
It couldn’t work any other way, so we have been surprised by the reports that Dennis is running the show – but he is an important figure for the club if we are to sign good up and coming players.
To us this news makes a lot of sense, so presumably we’ll need to hold off on incoming transfers for a little while, but Kevin returns from his holidays within 2 weeks, so we’ll hopefully get some idea then, as to the quality of player we are able to attract this summer.
The club are also willing to punish Joey Barton following his imprisonment for assault last month, as we reported yesterday.
The club wants to cut the playerâ€™s wages in half to around Â£30K week. A final decision on what to do with Barton will not be made until his upcoming trial is complete.
However, Keegan has made it clear to the board that he would like to keep the star, and we would expect that if Barton accepts the terms Newcastle lay out for him, he will remain at the club.
Keegan has also given a list of players to Dennis Wise, that he is willing to lose in the summer, if acceptable bids are received, and Dennis has already told the playersâ€™ agents they can leave. We have to assume Emre was on that list.
Unfortunately this also seems to suggest that Alan Smith will be kept at the club, since his agent, Alex Black, has often said his client is staying on Tyneside next season.
That’s not good news, but overall these things all make a lot of sense, as long as we see players starting to arrive as soon as Kevin returns.
Comments very welcome.