Ashley Still Deciding What To Do With Barton


The Newcastle Journal is reporting today that Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is still weighing up his options, on what to do with our very troubled midfielder Joey Barton.

joey-barton-_468×679.jpg

Joey Barton – next trial due up on 30th June

The Newcastle club have already offered Joey an offer that would keep him at the club, but he’d need to take a 50% pay cut, but Barton and his agent Willie McKay turned that down flat.

There was even news that Joey was annoyed by the offer, but the boy doesn’t seem to understand the very serious nature of his position, and to say the least, he is hardly in a position of negotiating power, from the slammer.

And it seems that our readers are split on what they think the club should do with him.

In our first simple poll on whether we should keep Joey at Newcastle:

  • 53 % said no
  • 41% said yes 
  • 6% still not sure.

That’s with over 2,000 votes in and you can still vote, if you haven’t done so already.

In our latest poll, where we gave a choice as to what the club could do:

  • 46% want to have him sacked
  • 31% want to keep him on half wages
  • 13% want to sack him after the Dabo trial
  • 7% want to keep him on full wages
  • 3% still not sure

That’s with just over 1200 votes in, and the poll is still open for those who haven’t voted yet.

So overall, in that poll, 59% want him sacked, 38% want to keep him, with 3% not sure. So you could say the position against Barton is hardening, with our readers.

A source close to Ashley said yesterday:

“Mike is determined that Joey Barton should not go unpunished for letting the club down so badly.”

“We will not ignore what has happened and we will take action.”

“But there has been no final determination as to what that punishment should be and we are not going to make any announcement until after his next trial at the end of June.”

“It would not be right to comment before then.”

It’s a really tricky situation for the club, and we have no doubt that Kevin Keegan will make an attempt to keep him, whatever happens at his upcoming trial on June 30th.

He is accused at that trial of assault against his former Manchester City team-mate, French midfielder Ousmane Dabo.

But we’ll be pleased when all this is over, one way or the other.

It’s doing the good name of Newcastle United harm, with both the football public and our future potential players out there.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

21 comments so far

  • The Entertainers

    Jun 21, 2008 at 9:50 AM

    Comment #1

    Newcastle cant take any moral high ground regarding the Dabo incident, as we signed him after that event.
    It would be interesting to know if we did insert any conditions in his contract when he signed, regarding any custodial sentances for that incident.

    The Mcdonaldgate is a different matter altogether. I am sure Ashley knows exactly what he wants to do, but is waiting until the Dabo verdict.

    I was one of the fans who voted to keep Barton but on 50 % of his wages. However as time goes by and the silence is deafing from SJP, i believe Barton will not be a Newcastle player next season.

    0
  • dick

    Jun 21, 2008 at 9:59 AM

    Comment #2

    ashley will wait untill the next court case, if he goes down for that they may get some compensation off city, but you never know with the last lot of management

    0
  • The Entertainers

    Jun 21, 2008 at 10:09 AM

    Comment #3

    Was Barton a Freddie or Ashley signing i cant quite remember.

    I have a terrible feeling Dick is right and it was FFS with that said we might have dug a real hole and can see we Ashley will be really annoyed at taking on that.

    0
  • Drew

    Jun 21, 2008 at 10:17 AM

    Comment #4

    Agreed, we cannot punish him for the Dabo incident, no matter what, as he was signed after that happened.

    He was a FFS signing to let you know.

    0
  • Danny

    Jun 21, 2008 at 10:19 AM

    Comment #5

    I thought joey would have been a very good player for us last season when Sam bought him.

    He can be a very dynamic midfielder and also very creative and defensive, But the club can not ignore the situation it finds itself in.

    If we think about what any other respectable club would do if joey played for them then I think he would be a free agent by now. Can you imagine Sir Alex retaining the services of Joey?..

    Personally I think if we look at his form last season and what he can offer us next season then I do not think he is deserving of his place in our team.

    Don’t get me wrong I think it will be tough just to get rid of a player of joey’s talent and to see him walk into another team as a “free” agent would be annoying.

    If he has rejected the chance to stay with us on half wages then cut him loose…We have tried to compensate for him in his position and he shoved it back in our faces….

    I would let him go and replace him with Larrson of Birmingham City.

    0
  • Sav

    Jun 21, 2008 at 10:28 AM

    Comment #6

    It is not the club’s or Ashley’s job to punish Barton over the fracas. That is for the courts.

    They should have slapped a fine on him for the fact he was out at 5 in the morning, pissed. That should have been done at the time the story broke but I didn’t hear it if they did.

    If Ashley is that concerned about the club’s squeaky image he should never have gone near Barton in the first place. Most fans, it seemed, did not want us to sign him at the time. Halving his wage but still keeping Barton on the books and sending him out in the black and white in front of cheering kids would do nothing to improve it.
    It has got nothing to do with that but a whole lot to do with the fact Barton was a 5.5 million player, but is now a 2.5 million player because of his own actions. That is true but it would be hard to pursue. Plenty players have done stupid things to seriously damage their reputations yet I’ve never heard of one taking a 50% wage cut.
    If it could have been done quietly, it might have been feasible, but Barton is not a noble creature and is never going to accept it voluntarily. Would most of us? Now we are brought to the sight of loud and unseemly negotiations with this lag between the bars of his cell. And it seems he is the one calling the shots. Ashley and the club lose credibility the longer this drags on. He should either stand by his man regardless, as it seems Keegan would, or he should take the £5 million hit and tear up his contract and give Kevin some extra transfer cash from his wallet to replace Barton with.
    That would salvage a bit of credibility, but we are running low on options with this situation and Barton has no lawns for Ashley to park his tanks on, only a big, high wall and lots of barbed wire.

    0
  • mitch

    Jun 21, 2008 at 11:01 AM

    Comment #7

    I think the club should sue joey for damages and hold his registration for the term of his contract as if you do something that affects the value of something like joey has then you owe money let him rot and hold his registration.

    0
  • Leo

    Jun 21, 2008 at 11:01 AM

    Comment #8

    christ what is with the longer posts when it comes to joey barton

    he is a gremlin and i wish we didnt have him in our club, he doesnt deserve it

    0
  • WIGAZ

    Jun 21, 2008 at 11:42 AM

    Comment #9

    Just get rid! end of subject! playing for Toon is a honour & priviledge! i’m sure you’d agree most of us would sell our souls to run out in front of 52,000 fanatic geordies at SJP wearing No 7 on your back! this lad doesnt give 2 F**ks! about us or anybody else but himself! he deoesn’t deserve to be a professional footballer! He knocked back a 50% pay cut! well why doesn’t he just piss off & play for the prison side & be a dole waller when he gets out! He’s a thug not fit to wear the shirt lads! liverpool got Gerrard, chelsea got Lamps, man u got scholes.carick & we’ve got barton! doesnt even compare! get out our club you scumbag!

    0
  • dylan2k8

    Jun 21, 2008 at 11:54 AM

    Comment #10

    hey the 30th of june is my birthday sack barton now

    0
  • clinta

    Jun 21, 2008 at 11:58 AM

    Comment #11

    A mistake from start to finish signing him, i hope he never plays for the toon again as i find it hard to cheer on this type of character, even when his wearing my beloved black and white. he’s hardly a role model for the young supporters of the club either is he?

    If he is aloud to stay, they’ll be other incident that give our club a bad name.

    everyones entitled to a second chance i knw, he had his when we signed him!

    0
  • normski1930z

    Jun 21, 2008 at 12:31 PM

    Comment #12

    i think there is 2 sides to every story, but i would defo cut his wages…..

    0
  • Pan

    Jun 21, 2008 at 12:41 PM

    Comment #13

    Of course we can take the moral high ground regarding the Dabo incident, even though we signed him after that event. He’s innocent until proven guilty, and if found guilty….

    0
  • The Entertainers

    Jun 21, 2008 at 12:54 PM

    Comment #14

    @ Pan

    Did you see the CCTV !!!!!

    In the law there has to be reasonable and proportionate actions taken when claiming self defence mate, his only defence i can see.

    Did i miss the injuries on Bartons face? Or is that because there was’nt any!

    Trust me mate, Newcastle will have looked at the incident and will have realised that there is apossiblitiy of a guilty verdict and still went ahead with the signing…..so i disagree they can not take the moral high ground on this one.

    0
  • Beattie

    Jun 21, 2008 at 12:54 PM

    Comment #15

    I’m with mitch on this one.

    0
  • The Entertainers

    Jun 21, 2008 at 1:00 PM

    Comment #16

    @ Beattie

    Have you seen how long the Mutu saga has taken, even now its not over.

    Also within a year Barton will be aloud to leave the club if he has’nt played 10% of all our games. FIFA regulations, it was reported about Ronaldo, if they stick him in the reserves for the rest of his contract that after a year he can leave.

    But what do we do? We’re damned if we do and damned if we dont.

    0
  • stjames

    Jun 21, 2008 at 1:12 PM

    Comment #17

    WIGAZ #9
    “Just get rid! end of subject! playing for Toon is a honour & priviledge! i’m sure you’d agree most of us would sell our souls to run out in front of 52,000 fanatic geordies at SJP wearing No 7 on your back! this lad doesnt give 2 F**ks! about us or anybody else but himself! he deoesn’t deserve to be a professional footballer”

    The whole truth and nothing but the truth.

    clinta #11
    “A mistake from start to finish signing him, i hope he never plays for the toon again as i find it hard to cheer on this type of character, even when his wearing my beloved black and white. he’s hardly a role model for the young supporters of the club either is he?”

    Remember last winter when he came out and blamed the fans for him and the teams failure to perform. That´s the type of character he is.

    0
  • Bill F SPLASH THE CASH ASH

    Jun 21, 2008 at 2:50 PM

    Comment #18

    The fact is he has called the Ashley bluff and they have been left with egg on their faces. They should either have sacked him (my vote) or backed him, not go down the half baked blackmail route.
    If they had decided to back him they could then have looked at all options once he was out of prison, which imo will be not for several years. In which event he should not be entitled to any wages anyway as he would not be fulfilling his obligations to the club.

    0
  • jordi

    Jun 21, 2008 at 3:16 PM

    Comment #19

    Surely there will be something in his contract about gross misconduct or bringing the club into disrepute and the options available when it occured (because it obviously would).

    I voted to get rid of him. It’s not NUFC’s job to punish him like someone said before but that doesn’t mean we have to have the little ******* at our club taking our money.

    It’s not like he’s that good a player to worry about him playing against us is it? We can replace him easily enough (loads of people on parole…)

    0
  • ScottyT

    Jun 21, 2008 at 5:14 PM

    Comment #20

    exactly leo.. jst a thug doesnt deserve to be at a club like ours at all.

    0
  • gallowgate31

    Jun 21, 2008 at 8:52 PM

    Comment #21

    Honestly don’t believe he will get out….

    He will be in breach of his contract which will then be terminated and we can then sell his registration when he gets out in time for the 2018 FA cup!!

    Have never liked him.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.