Newcastle Target Close to Schalke Move

We reported this story last Thursday, thanks to information from one of our readers, Alan Devon, but now Sky Sports is reporting our interest in FC Twente 6′6″ midfielder Orlando Engelaar.

orlando-angelaar-32.jpg

Orlando Engelaar – FC Schalke close to a deal?

The update seems to be that German side, FC Schalke, are now close to completing a deal with the midfielder, and if Premier League clubs, including Newcastle United, are really interested in the player, they will need to move fast.

Speaking exclusively to Skysports, Engelaar’s agent, Eduard Burleson, admitted talks with Schalke are already fairly advanced:

“We have spoken with Schalke and terms have been agreed,”

“But the two clubs have not agreed yet, and so that is where we stand on that.”

But Burleson said that interest from a number of Premier clubs was also increasing, with Everton and Newcastle said to be the main two English clubs involved.

Burleson continued:

“I know Everton are interested and that Newcastle could soon make a move,”

“He chose to speak to Schalke, firstly because there was not any interest from England at the time.”

“And also because of the coach Fred Rutten, the former Twener coach now at Schalke, who was so good for him at Twente.”

“But if it does not work, it is now clear could be English options.”

Engelaar has so far played every game for Holland in the Euro 2008 tournament, which is turning into a classic.

He is expected to start again tonight against Russia, in the quarter-finals, so Newcastle fans will get another chance to check him out.

This game promises to be another great game, given the way Russia took Sweden apart earlier this week.

Burleson added:

“Orlando has taken his form from Twente straight into the national side and continued at the same level,”

“I think for this reason a number of clubs have suddenly realized what many of us already knew, that he is a very good player.”

The 28 year old has played for Holland 8 times, since making his debut last year, and has played for FC Twente 56 times since 2006, with 8 goals.

• Ashton

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:36 PM

He is a big shit !

• Tom4Nufc

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:39 PM

He is good, would be great for us, but the price is excessive for a 28 yr old unproven prem player.

• sirjasontoon

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Never heard of him..so not bothered,isn’t 28 over the hill for us these days though where buying kids?

Hmmmmmmmm whatever, very bored of all the speculation and no action zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Sav

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:46 PM

No wonder he’s trying to get away, with Mike Baldwin coming in!
    Unfortunately, having one 6’6″ player in the middle doesn’t change the fact that the players we have and continue to be linked with (Arda Turan, Arshavin, Shorey, McGeady etc.) make us a ‘vertically challenged’ team. If this lad’s extra height could be shared out around the pitch, he’d be worth considering.
    But its not.

• belfast toon

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:47 PM

zxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Submitted by Chris // Jun 19, 2008 at 14:47

This isn’t even a story from a reader – it’s a direct lift from the appalling newcastle-mad website.

“Ed” mate – your “stories” are blatant attempts to drive up traffic to the site in order to mug daft advertisers out of their cash.

“We” think most of the time you’re talking/writing cobblers.

However, if you’re going to reporting everything ….. told tell anyone I told you…… but I saw Arshavin’s lass (with the girlfriend of that blond Russian striker with the long name) in Homebase on Team Valley yesterday looking at curtain material and plant pots. A sure sign they’ve already signed

————————————

Maybe now is a good time to apologise for your comments regarding the Editor of this site Chris? Especialy since it was me who wrote the article for ‘the appaling’ newcastleMAD.

Yes I write for several sites and yes I AM actualy a reader of this site too.

Alan Devon

• scottish mag

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:49 PM

he would be a class signing been very impresses with him at the euros and also last season, he has been playing dm for holland but i thought he was more of a attack minded midfielder.

also did u guys hear ex sunderland gk and gk coach tim carter was found dead in bushes in manchester, its on bbc football website

• micepie

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Oh dear, the usual dour rumours and stories today…no substantial offers from us on the table for the players we’d like, vague talk of one or two of our best players leaving, not sure what to do about Barton etc.

The situation should surely be pretty simple: put in two or three offers for the best players we want (e.g – 12M for Arshavin, 7M for Samba) and take things from there.

I did love the Times article though, and that all makes sense. Even if we only bought 5 great youngsters (but ideally 19 and 20 so as to be ready for the first team squad) and no one else that’d be fine, so long as keep what we have.
    Just no offers for very average players please.

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Just for the record too, Lampard, Gerrard, Ballack and Gareth Barry are all around the same age as Engelaar.

As a die-hard Toon fan why would I want a crap player to sign for us?

He is a very very good player and would definately be a good signing for us. He’s not the attacking player we need but he can play DM,CM,AM and striker which is why I feel he would be a very good capture for us.

• Ally

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:56 PM

i agree with u dev, having seen this lad for holland a couple of times he looks top class, strutts around the park as if he owns it! hopefully something can happen in the next couple of days regarding him

• Leo

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:58 PM

oh well seemingly another one bites the dust…

or does it, as i said in another article, newcastle had picked out arda arshavin etc… before they were on the lips of those reporters and pundits…

i just hope that we are going to do the same a couple more times and pick some players we dont really know who are able to do things such as arshavin and arda…

and as ive read alot of people didnt know of arda turan so there is hope for us bringing players in

lets all hold hands and sing cum by ya my lord

and pray that something is brewing

• scottish mag

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:59 PM

—————-given——————-

beye– samba– collocini– enrique

——engellar—vaart—arda——–

—————-arshavin—————

———-owen———-martins——

this team is not very realistic but i reckon it would do really well probs cost £65m but could get near the top 5

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Well I can uderstand people not being sure because he is quite new to the national team set-up over here but I see a lot of his games and the Dutch equivelant to MOTD.

He plays very similar to Zidane but without the circus tricks. Simple and acurate passing and keeps possesion better than anyone we have in our team now. He keeps everything simple and and can play in several positions but for me his biggest asset is his composure in tight situations…he can have 3 or 4 players around him but he still keeps posession or plays a perfect pass.

He doesn’t score many goals but that’s not his game. It’s due to the fact he is such a simple player that he doesn’t get much press coverage.

• Ally

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:02 PM

how much could we get him for dev?

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:03 PM

just watch the game tonight and watch how composed he is when pressured. He is very calm and hardly ever loses the ball.

Every team needs one or 2 midfielders like that, diciplined and more than happy to be a provider than a striker.

• tommyy

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Dev – Do you know who wrote that little bit about the Mr Kippling survey thing on Newcastle-MAD?.

• Tom4Nufc

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:06 PM

8m has been quoted, I still feel this is too much, he has quality, isnt proven in Premiership, and Ashley wont pay this, though I hope I am wrong,

Btw Dev, you well and truly showed Chris up there… Good job, anyone who doubts this sites creditability is a mug.

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:06 PM

I’ve heard 10m Euro’s but Schalke only agreed 4.3m Euro so that price is probably went up due to more interest. It is common knowledge over here that he wants to move to the Premier League and only began talks with Schalke when it looked doubtful he’s get a move to England.

The Schalke deal is far from close though because so far they have not submitted a bid and have just signed Jefferson Farfan. So it’s still very plausable that he will end up in England now that there is firm interest.

• Ally

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:07 PM

jefferson farfan has signed for Schalke so i dont know where that leaves them with the Engelaar situation, there cud maybe be an opportunity to get him!

• Ally

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:09 PM

whats the latest on van der vaart dev is he still happy at hamburg or does he want to move on? is that just a non starter where we are concerned

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Tommy,

nah mate, that kipling shit aint nowt to do with me. I don’t write exclusively for nufcMAD, I write for different sites and just football. But I’m a Toon fan through and through so I promise you all that whatever news comes from me is genuine stuff I’m hearing over here.

I’m actualy trying to get an interview with McClaren as Twente isnt far from me so if I get that I’ll defo have some news on Engelaar. Spoke to the club yesterday but I’m waiting for a call back from their press dept.

There will always be doubters, I once got subjected to loads of abuse for reporting Toons interest in Dirk Kuyt….and even after Newcastle confirmed it those same people were not big enough to apologise to me but thats what some people are like.

Like I say, I wouldnt ever bullshit about Toon. Why would I want to do that?

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:15 PM

van der Vaart is 100% moving this summer and Toon have been mentioned but if I’m honest I think he will end up at Liverpool to replace Harry Kewell, that’s just a hunch though.

Reports here mention Chelsea, Man City, Toon, AC Milan, Ajax and Werder Bremen but he has indicated he would prefer England so there is a chance if Mike Ashley will loosen the purse strings…you lot wil be the first to know if I hear anything though.

• Bill F SPLASH THE CASH ASH

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Ed just out of curiosity and I don’t expect names, but who from the club actually read or comment on the blog. I am certain you will know, as with Chris Mort recently you will see their e-mail addresses.
    A simple answer would satisfy me in the following form.
    Could you say if it is A, B or C from the following.
    A. Players. B. Management. C. Players and Management.
    I’m sure it would be of interest to my fellow bloggers to know if their comments are being followed at the club.

• Geordie Gerrard7

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:30 PM

mike ashley is no ken barlow, he will spend money we will just have to wait, although i think vdv will go somewhere like chelsea

• Bob

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Good to have you on this blog, Dev!

Keep the news coming!

• tommyy

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Dev – ahh right. I wasn’t advocating that you were anything to do with that Kippling saga, i just thought whoever wrote that little piece on it did a good job on putting that survey stuff in its place. I shall never buy another cake from them again lol.

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:37 PM

cheers Bob, will do

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Tommy,

yeah I actualy found that survey a bit soft too. It first appeared on the Sunderland Echo website which brings me to the question….where did those dirty scumbags finish in the vote?

I suppose it’s because none of them work so they have no wages to complain about lol.

• belfast toon

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:39 PM

gr8 news I’ve found something more interesting than reading speculatoin from the daily rags might cheer yiou up too

• tommyy

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Bill F – whats this about Chris Mort? he commented on this blog? also people from the club could very easily use different emails or whatever?

• tommyy

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Dev – Same, i saw it on their aswell. What Tw@s! A snidey little article that would never have made any other media column or webpage as it’s so pointless, untrue and irrelevant to anything. Lol exactly, they don’t even qualify as citizens of anywhere.

• Nick C

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Does anyone know any more about Digard? Someone sent in a link about NUFC being in pole position to get him from a French site.

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Either that or the people who patrol the town centre asking people to do the survey deliberately stayed clear of Sunderland for fear of having their pens and clipboards nicked by local bag heads.

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Digard sounds like a bit of a trouble maker and I’m not sure he even is a target. Would be good to get someone living in France to give us the gen on him though as I’ve not really heard much about him myself.

• tommyy

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:56 PM

I think they did patrol Sunderland and get their Pens and clipboards robbed, that would explain some of them now learning to write.

• joel

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:58 PM

• Bill F SPLASH THE CASH ASH

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Tommyy it was about two weeks ago, he posted a comment (and Ed assured us it was kosher) before he stepped down as chairman, saying for up to date accurate transfer news we should go to the official Newcastle web site. I think that they were getting upset that Ed was getting more hits than them. It’s also why I reckon they closely follow this site. Please correct me if I am wrong Ed.

• Matthew

Jun 21, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Newcastlemad is possibly the worst Newcastle site out there, the amount of shite they put on newsnow with misleading headlines just to get the traffic is crazy.

“Newcastle confirm Arsenal interest over Given!” is the sort of headline they come out with only when you read the article there’s nothing of the sort being said, like I said just a con to get their traffic up.

I’m not passing comment on your articles Dev (unless you wrote the one about Given) but even if you do write good ones there are plenty of people who won’t read them because they’re not prepared to search through the majority of crap on that site.

If your articles are any good then get them up on Newcastle-Online as they’re struggling for writers as their forum is so popular, not only is it a far more respected site but it’s one of the fanzine sites that has a close relationship with the club as do .com and the mag.

As for this site, sometimes things do get posted which is more gossip than fact but most people are happy to discuss it, the only down side is there isn’t a quote feature but apart from that it’s a good site.

• Geordie Gerrard7

Jun 21, 2008 at 3:01 PM

DOES ANYONE THINK WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT SCOTTY PARKER, I DO, ITS EXACTLY ONE OF THE KIND OF PLAYERS WE ARE LOOKING AT ATM

Jun 21, 2008 at 3:08 PM

No I never wrote about Given mate. I’m in Holland so I’m probably more out of touch with home-based players than you.

Most of my articles are either general stuff or news I’m getting in Holland. I work near the German and Belgium borders so a lot of my work mates are either Germans or Belgians but there is also zillions of Turks here too.

I get my stories from numerous sources including Dutch radio, Dutch fans forums or word of mouth but normaly what I write comes out in the English press within weeks.

I knew about Toons interest in Dirk Kuyt long before the club admitted it and until they did admit it nobody really knew who he was so I was accused of talking shit. But just like van der Vaart and Engelaar these stories were reported by Skysports not long after I reported it.

Like I’ve said before, I’ve no intention of speading unfounded rumours, I’m a Toon fan so the last thing I would do is mislead my own fellow supporters.