Shay Given – Newcastle Great Club With Fantastic Fans

Shay Given has today bluntly dismissed talk of any move away from Newcastle United.

shay-given-1211.jpg

Shay Given – great football club with fantastic fans

We knew Shay and his wife Jane were very settled in Newcastle, so when the news came up a few weeks back that Arsenal were after him, it seemed interesting whether he would even want to move.

But Shay talked today to the Irish Daily Mail about Newcastle and his future:

“I’ve been with Newcastle since 1997 and I’ll soon be getting a Geordie twang.”

“It’s a great football club with fantastic fans, so I have no reason to leave.”

“I have three years left on my contract and I am very settled in the North East.”

“I see myself staying at Newcastle for the rest of my career,”

Great words from Shay, and you’ve got to say that these are the type of players we need at Newcastle.

Shay has been bothered by his groin the last 20 months or so, but has been spending the summer trying to get extra fit, so he will challenge again for the first team goalkeeper jersey, with his pal Steve Harper.

But we’re very pleased to be having both of them fighting it out again next season.,

The goalkeeper position will not be a problem for us next season, and let’s hope Shay is back to his sparkling best.

• looney_toon

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:24 AM

great i hope he stays – absolute legend – even if harper is almost as gd as him

• geordiegraham

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM

he is a legend but has neva been the same since harewood injured him. i think harper is just as gd

• Martin

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Shay is a legend. Talk of him being sold is stupid. Harper is a very good goalkeeper and I’m delighted we have him but Shay will always be my first choice. Yes Shay has struggled recently but he’s been carrying a injury since Sep 2006 with everytime he’s been rushed back in.
    I firmly believe next season he’ll be better than ever. He’s still going to be our Number 1 for the next 6 years most likely.

• Ben_BKK

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Definitely don’t want him to leave…

• HeronMag

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Best keeper in Newcastle’s history.

• tapir

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:32 AM

lets get Akinfeev!
    any russian will do now since Arshavin is out of sight……..

• normski1930z

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:33 AM

met him in marthas in the toon a few months back down to earth…. top pro.

• ELFER

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:40 AM

All the people always forget that you must have a strong 2nd goaldkeeper to have enough competition there!

I’m sure when some day (hopefully a long long time away) given retires, he has to first of all give his thanks to harps 😉

• valle

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Great to hear Shay talk of us like that, we love you too Shay…

• 51times

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:44 AM

He’s had his groin problem fixed now, so hopefully he’ll be back to his best. Now as much as I do like Harper and I think he’s been just as great a servant to the club as Given has, Shay has more experience both in the league and internationally so he deserves the chance to win his place back.

• Ali

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:57 AM

massmedia@arshavin.eu.

What harm can it do?

• valle

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Guys if you liked the old championship manager, you should try this game

Its like the old CM2 and the best online one i have tried by far.

• Kash2

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:04 AM

We’re totally sorted for GK’s. Harper and Given, then Krul, Forster and Soderberg.

Now we need the following:

LB – Shorey is a possibility
    RB – Need to add competition for Beye
    2 CB – God knows, but have to be commanding!
    DM – Who?
    CM – Seb Larrson can play on right as well
    Playmaker – Aimar/Arshavin?
    LM/LW – Unsure, maybe Kapo?
    RM/RW – Aaron Lennon it would seem
    ST – Looks like Chamakh is the man

• The Entertainers

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Its great news.

I always thought if Shay wanted to go to Arsenal we should let him as hes been such a loyal player (demonstrated again with these comments).

Also we appear to have a great pool of talent behind him.

Well done Shay your always welcome here

• Leo

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:49 AM

liking the whole ‘geordie twang’ thing

people say in the past he should go, harpers better etc, i should know i was one of them, but it doesnt have any go on the fact he is one hell of a model professional who hopefully will be back to his best this season

• Punk Skunk

Jun 23, 2008 at 12:56 PM

2 Excellent goalies is what we need & 2 excellent goalies is what we’ve got!..

• ObaFan2

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:22 PM

“I see myself staying at Newcastle for the rest of my career,”

Good news and well said, adopted Geordie 🙂

• Gateshead Mag.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM

It sickens me people giving Shay stick. He’s been here for 11 years and loves the club just as much as any of us do. He’s stook loyal to us all these years even when the likes of Arsenal came in for him when he was at his best. I hope he gets over his groin problems and becomes the brilliant keeper he is.

• M.Stockley

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:48 PM

agreed gateshead mag, well said

• chuck

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Great pro, loyal team-member, hope he stays untill retirement !

• Anthony

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:52 PM

he is a legend

• CRAIGG

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Shay is a god, It was the most annoying few days in my memory of this site when loads of people were saying we should sell him.

Harper is a good keper good but not great, The reason he is and has always been 2nd choice is because Shay is absolutely outstanding and is a great loyal servent to our club.

Easily the greatest keeper in our history.

• xfer

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:00 PM

True legend.

• domtoon

Jun 23, 2008 at 8:55 PM

you cannot sell the left leg of newcastle united. selling him would be just wrong wrong wrong, and i’m so glad shay has spoken out to put an end to all this emirates talk.

TOP BLOKE AND TOP KEEPER!

• Il capitano

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:33 AM

I am so pleased to hear these words by Shay Given. It is important to keep Michael Owen, Steven Taylor and Shay Given. Shay Given have proved for ten years, that he is one of the best keepers in the premiership, lets hope he wants to stay with us for the rest of the career.