Improved Contract Will Be Taylor Made For Steven

We had reported recently that Mike Ashley has intervened personally to ensure Steven Taylor got a good contract at his only club, Newcastle United.

steven-taylor-6522.jpg

Steven Taylor – very pleased about new contract

Steven Taylor is currently enjoying a well earned holiday, but he still managed to talk to the Evening Chronicle:

“Knowing the owner wants me to stay means a lot to me.”

“Everyone knows I love this club and want to commit my future here, but the deal has to be right for me, and the club.”

“I’m happy there’s been some progress, and I hope everything’s sorted out soon.”

“It’s all in the hands of my agent, and I can’t really say any more.”

We hope it will be sorted out soon too, and we would expect it will be good for the club and Steven.

Apparently, VP Tony Jimenez has been doing the deal with Taylor’s London-based agent Leon Angel.

All of our new executives will not be working from London either, as Derek Llambias, who is also overseeing the deal,  as our new Managing Director,  is to work out of Newcastle.

Taylor will now be on parity with Charles N’Zogbia and James Milner at the club, our best three youngsters, and we think all three are on around £30K/week.

We’re pleased that Steven is pleased, because he can become a top player at the club.

He still has a lot to learn, but he’s always seemed willing to do that, at the only club he has ever wanted to play for.

And of course once Kevin Keegan returned to Newcastle in January, there was no way Steven was leaving, since he was a wide eyed ball-boy, the last time the messiah was at the club.   😀

We still need to sign captain Michael Owen of course, but we don’t think that will be a problem, and we expect Mike Ashley to make another exception for Michael.

This will all please Kevin Keegan – that’s for sure.

• harrier

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Bout bloody time

• wilko

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:06 PM

hurray, we have lift off – sounds like things are now beginning to move along with the tying up of contracts. just need the others to take off as well now, Mo etc

• staffsmag

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Now the ball is rolling lets get the main men under our belt and start looking for fresh blood!!!!!

• Rob Kirton

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:10 PM

A good deal for the club, and hopefully for Taylor.

He started asking for a new deal 1 year into a 4 year contract. The club have held him to it for a further two – so saving on two years worth of increased salary.

He signed a deal. Basicaly he has been told to stick to it and see the new one when due. Hopefully it pans out well for both parties.

• Leo

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:21 PM

i know some people say they dont like the fact taylor does loads of interviews. i personally dont care, i enjoy reading his words, he never misses out on saying how much he loves our club

• Faustino

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Good news. If I was neogitating this I would have put a ‘no talking to the chronicle anymore Stevie boy’ clause in it.

• Yahya Ahmad

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Thats great! Now we need some defenders and midfielders! I wonder when he will get his first cap for England! Shoudve happened by now!

• Marat18

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:23 PM

i’m pleased for the lad.
    also i’m pleased that now, when Steven has professional agent (and not his father, who I’m sure is a good Dad, but probably don’t have a clue what agent’s work is), all negotiations were done in a proper way. Without going out to the press and any compainings.

• Tom_Toon

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Marat, any news in Russia on Zhirkov or Arshavin’s future?

I believe Zhirkov has been Russias best player not Arshavin.

• craig chisholm

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:30 PM

no point in getting to excited yet lads, the deal is still not done and can fall appart very easily. We are finding out that our club do not rush for anything or anyone anymore, good or bad, thats a matter of opinion. Its a pathetic day when the only thing we have to be happy about is the possiblility of hopfully extending the contract of a newcastle born kid who does not want to leave anyway. He only wants 30 grand a week – this should have been resloved ages ago without even being an issue – its a joke.

• Ross G

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:35 PM

WHERE YOU GET THAT TITLE FROM ED??? ORIGINAL!

• Faustino

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:35 PM

My christ it must be fun round your house Craig mate 😉

In all fairness to you, my dreams of taunting you with a rosey outlook and decent signings are becoming more slight and unlikely by the day.

Not gone yet though.

• catawbamag

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:41 PM

A contract on par with Milner and Zog is fair enough. I cant really blame the club for not getting a deal done, if he was looking for 50k as rumored awhile back. Get it done, Tony.
    Now how about getting Owen sorted before the inevitable press speculation connecting Owen to every team on the globe.

• Spitfire

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:44 PM

I’ve read loads of these blogs on various subjects. Everyone seems to be hyper at the moment. No one liked the way things were done under the old regime but now everyone is getting itchy about the way things are being done under the new regime. Everybody needs to take a chill pill and just go with the flow. Things will work out just in a more measured calm way. It may be three steps forward two steps back but we want long term stability and ultimately long term success. We have to take some pain to get some gain. For Gods sake everybody just meander up to the new season – don’t get hysterical about contracts signings, wage levels, meetings, Ashley, Keegan. Llambias and so on. Its just part of footballs rich tapestry. Ignore it if you can’t enjoy it.

• HeronMag

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Glad to hear Steve is getting closer to committing himself to the toon. Could be a fantastic player one day.

OFF TOPIC:

Fat Fred on buying RCD Mallorca – “All I can say is that we’re in discussions,” Shepherd said. “We live in Mallorca most of the year. Mallorca has always been our second team.” (Source Reuters)

Anyone else think he had anything to do with that spud Marcelino signing for the toon? Robson complained he didn’t really want Kluivert… methinks Fat Freddy took too close an interest in our transfers.

I seriously hope MA leaves the decisions to KK.

• Marat18

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Tom Toon
    nothing new here, mate. That’s all about tomorrow’s game here.
    but I just read Arshavin’s interview, here is the part of it:

Journalist: I know that Arsenal, Barca, MU and Chelsea fans are ecstatic of your perfomances and Newcastle fans even organized AA’s fan-club. Zenit’s recruitment director confirmed that you have 5 serious offers, and it’s not a secret that Barca’s managment had contacts with you. What you can say about your future?
    Arshavin: more important is that clubs are interested in me, it pleases me to recieve offers from grands, but I don’t wanna talk about it now. Let’s think about our next game, blah-blah-blah.

• craig chisholm

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:03 PM

ha faustino, i’ll have you know that my house is a right good laugh. It seems that there are three types of us, you being the eternal optamist, me looking at the signs that i am seeing and voicing my displeasure at what we see and there are the fence sitters who one day say good stuff and the next bad. I hope that i am wrong and that all our signings are in the bag and come 01st july we are all on here saying good stuff. I still dont believe it though alas. I am out in the middle of the ocean and i have been able to comunicate with all me mates, you lot on here, run a home and keep in constant contact with the wife and four kids. Why after months of some very highly paid people at newcastle supposedly working hard on players is there nothing, not one single bit of progress at all? If we were as shit at our jobs we’d be sacked. If i was as shit as them people would be dead! My season ticket renewals landed on the floor last week and they have jumped up alot mate. I want to see something solid to make me justify giving mike ashley (cos that who its going to) a massive amount of my money. Its pennies to him but it aint to me. My kids are gonig on about the new away kit with my lad wanting owens name………our hands are tied, all of us supporters. we are just hanging around hoping that he comes good, against the signs that we are all seeing.
    Remember four weeks ago you and graham were telling me to chill out and that the signings would come etc……..well……we are all still waiting and are 2 weeks from pre season.

• mozza

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:05 PM

taylors anals only glimmer of hope for interviews now thats why he overdoes his praise for him, todays article was a joke claiming man utd were watching him, he has potential but he aint the finished article, hopefully this is the catylist for things to pick up pace

• Nick C

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Lads, this a pretty good article. It might put things in perspective for a few people.http://www.newcastle-online.com/2008/06/25/dont-panic/

What do u reckon???

• Matthew

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Taylor was offered the same as Milner and N’Zogbia last Summer according to Allardyce on a Newcastle World video, since then the papers have said he was looking for between £50k and £60k per week so fair play to the club for holding their ground as he wouldn’t get that sort of money anywhere else.

He’s going to except similar to what he was offered before except he’s lost out on around £1 million by being greedy.

• sas

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Nick C, I was just gonna post that link. It’s 100% spot on.

• jimmy tack

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Hello boys and girls. I dont have any contacts at the club but can say that steve sidwell is in talks as i type! How do i know? Well i am his cousin! You are his first choice. He doesnt want to join villa!!

• nightfall

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Tom Toon – agree about zhirkov…the guy’s phenomenal…he’s a must…cheeper and way better then arda or any other winger… and perhaps arshavin would follow him 😉

• Ian

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:14 PM

I agree Craig, he isnt even signed up yet and people think that is progress??

I am so confused with the whole situation I really do not know what is happening, either Ashley is a really odd one and has to be different or he is nearing a sale of the club, something isnt right here, go on to other club sites and look at the source of their material, Sentanta, Sky, Guardian, Telegraph, BBC etc etc, nothing out of ours, just this official taylor thing and Vetere and Wise are unable to renew an existing players contract without the intervention of Ashley? now that really smells funny to me.

• gordon

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:16 PM

thats all we need another player who makes mistakes constantly.

• gaz

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:27 PM

just heard sidwell is signing

• Cliveloveskk

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Hope your right JT. I actually heard he was at the ground off a cab driver on the way back from the airport this morning.Same cab driver also reckons Wright phillips will be joining

• GSfan

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Off topic –

Just surfed some Italian sources and used my pro Babelfish Translation skills. Came up with something interesting regarding Arda’s situation which made me go “wtf?”. Here’s the translation I got! from corrieredellosport.it/Notizie/Calcio/34561/%C2%ABArda+Turan+alla+Juve+o+al+Milan%C2%BB .

“ROME, 25 june – Turan Arda, 21enne forward of the Galatasaray, will disembark in Italy the next season. It has assured l’ agent of one of stars of Turkey semifinalist all’ European 2008: “The next week, when the Europeans are ended, we will define all. For he many societies have contacted me – Ahmet Bulut to sportal.it- has said but the price of its cartellino rather is elevated and it wants only the best. However he will play in Italy it will make and it in a grandissima. Juve and Milan are interested, from monday will begin to speak of. However I confirm that the next season Arda Turan will play in Italy.”

Ok… wtf? How can they say something like that in such a sure manner? It’s as if they say it’s certain that he’s gonna go to either milan or juve or something along those lines… Any Italians lurking this blog that can say anything about this?

• Cliveloveskk

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:38 PM

The cab driver works for Geordie cabs and seemed to know quite a bit about comings and goings. The only thing i heard of real interest to me was that Smith wont be going anywhere and kk will use him as a striker and not in midfield.

• PALESTINIAN YID

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:40 PM

First signing looks as though it will be sidwell. H and J mentioned it on talksport as well.

• ToonKing

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:44 PM

just got in lads, slow day eh ?

• ToonKing

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:46 PM

• Matthew

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Vetere is our European scout so I’m not sure what he has to do with negotiations, all contracts are done through Tony Jimenez.

The truth is nobody knows whats going on so people form an opinion from gossip in newspapers.

How has Ashley supposed to have “stepped in” anyway?

• Ian

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Matthew do you reckon Tony Jimenez is no longer capable of completing a contract on his own or with his team for a £30k per week player?

Really even with Owen costing a fair amount of money I cant see it taking as long as it is, maybe the potential new owners dont want big contracts signed until they are in power?

Not looking at the press, simply wondering why the silence and why the staff arent capable of signing contracts for existing players anymore?

Either Ashley is a real oddball or something is going down.

• harrier

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:05 PM

I hope so Ian – I could see everything being declared on the 1st. That would be wonderful.

• Ian

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:14 PM

July the 1st 5 players in and what are you all talking about, odd flamers you geordies!!!

I hope so.

• normski1930z

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:57 PM

for me the jury is still out on steven taylor he is a decent cb in the making ok but he aint no franco baraesi or roberto ayala and never will be hes just ok nothing special like my father said before he died at times he looks abit of a carthorse but lets face it if faye is in top form and we get say a colacini i think stevie boy could well be warming the bench.

• Matthew

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:15 PM

The thing is Ian I’m not sure what Ashley has done to be regarded as ‘stepping in’ and with the club in the middle of a transfer window I don’t see Taylor’s contract as being a priority at this moment in time.

As for the length of time it’s taken to do the deals, the club arranges to have a meeting with the players agent and they discuss it from there, the reason Owen said there will be more news in around 2 months is because that’s likely to be when they’re pencilled in for another meeting.

Having met members of the board from being on the fans committee I can tell you the last thing they’re thinking of doing is selling the club, although everything has a price.

• Lew Davies

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Jimmy Tack, – Do us a favour then m8 and tell the ginger tosser he aint welcome at the Toon. He had his chance last year and chose greed over progressing his carrer. He is a mercenary and WE dont want him. Wouldn’t be surprised if there is some truth to what you say though, this club never learns. …….

• Ian

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Matthew he has owned the club for a year now.

If this is your idea of a slick on the ball operation fair enough, but it isnt looking like that to me standing here.

If everything takes Newcastle as long as you say then we are knackered as the window closes again in two months, they wont have managed to ‘pencil’ in a meeting until the last three days of the window if they catch the player on the first day.

Rubbish, something is going on, they are panicking themselves and Taylor is being used to try and keep the fans quiet for another week or two.