Barton Sentence Tomorrow – Expect Magpies Statement

The prosecutor in Joey Barton’s trial today in Manchester, Richard Vardon, said the events at Manchester City’s training ground on May 1st of last year, were an “explosive combination of football and violence”.

joey-barton-3.jpg

Joey Barton – pleaded guilty to one charge – and will be sentenced tomorrow

Barton and Dabo had confronted each other after a row during a training match, the court was told.

Dabo, 31,  was intimidated by Barton , and the Frenchman pushed the shoulder of Barton with both hands, at which point Barton retaliated by punching Dabo in the head, causing the Frenchman to fall over and lose consciousness.

Vardon said during the trial that several witnesses stated that Barton then continued to punch Dabo, while he lay on top of the player, and that Dabo couldn’t retaliate because he was in a dazed state.

Richard Vardon added that one witness of the fracas, footballer Georgios Samaras, said he had never seen such violence on a training pitch in all his career.

Barton admitted one charge of assault, occasioning actual bodily harm (ABH), and will now be sentenced tomorrow, and the maximum sentence for causing actual bodily harm is five years in prison.

Dabo, 31, who now plays for Rome side Lazio, had flown in from Italy to be at the trial, and was in court to hear Barton plead guilty.

This is the third time Barton has been in criminal court during 2008, and he hardly is giving his club Newcastle United anything but embarrassing publicity.

Barton has, not for the first time, brought shame on himself and his club, at a time when Newcastle are attempting to attract good players to the club.

The news of Barton’ s guilt today is now being broadcast around the world, but Newcastle United said it would not be commenting on today’s hearing.

However, since the Newcastle Board now know Barton is guilty and simply has to be sentenced, we would expect them to hold a meeting to finally decide what they will do with the player.

We would expect Newcastle United Football Club to make an announcement tomorrow, announcing that decision, once the player has been sentenced.

It wouldn’t upset us one little bit if the club sacks him.

• Ben_BKK

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:57 PM

Get rid of him, don’t know why we’re even waiting for the sentence…

• normski1930z

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:59 PM

well it would upset me if we didnt get our money back ed…..

• Callum

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:00 PM

I agree, no one who is in court more then on the field should be playing for NUFC!

• robertsa

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:01 PM

what was big sam thinking getting rid of scott parker for him. the north east in all fairness is a hard place but we dont except him. bring in another main centre midfield player like nolan or bullard

• The Entertainers

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:02 PM

I dont understand us taking the moral high ground with this offence.

We knew he assaulted Dabo, anyone seeing and knowing the attack, will have expected a guilty verdict. All Newcastle had to do was ring Pearce.

We only have ourselves to blame regarding this attack. Its the McDonalds one and the taxi one that have hurt the fans more.

This is because we gave him a chance and hes repaid us with 2 further court cases. Forget the Dabo incident, we knew about it and still signed him.

Bigger fool us!

• gordon

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:15 PM

why did he plead guilty because he was informed that there will be know additional prison sentence.

• Punk Skunk

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Gordon, Plea bargaining mate…It goes in your favor & ‘Shows remorse’, apparently!..
    …Don’t you watch movies bro’?.. 😀

…Now, if he’d grassed ‘Mr Big’, he’sd be out by now!.. 😀

• Viper

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Well we’ve only seen glimpses of his midfield skill. Not enough. At all.

More dark global Toon news. Cheers. W@nker.

And to get £ back for the f6;)-up? Insurance I hope.

• catawbamag

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:48 PM

“I dont understand us taking the moral high ground with this offence.”

I agree. We knew about the Dabo bustup when we signed him. Its his McDonalds punchfest that should be in question.

I’m for giving him another run with the club. Nothing to gain by offing him now, other than to loose his salary. Even if they sign someone on a lesser pay pac, they more than likely have to factor in another transfer fee.

Another team willing to gamble on him is looking for a bargain. They’ll wont pay anything near his potential market value.

• Swanx

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Deco just signed for Chelsea for £7.9M

• shearer 4 pm

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:57 PM

why did we sign him, he’s let down all the fans, the club, the managers, his team mates and the clubs image in general, this will make it harder to make future signings, just a dissapointment, the lad did have such a good future in the game aswell, but he neva really set the place alight,

send him to west ham wid bowyer, dyer and bellamy they can all fight together,

do us all a favour and jus p*ss off out the club if you know whats good for you!!!

• AndyNUFC

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:03 PM

———————————-
    Now, i’m sorry, but an “explosive combination of football and violence” sounds like a better version of Green Street… would have been well fun to watch.

• jettson

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM

not worthy of our great club and the shirt, Shearer would have knocked 7 bells out of him if he was still here to teach respect- a glorified well paid thug! we better off without morons ruining our club with actions like that!! sack him and keep the registration, he will get nowt just like he deserves!! a bully and a coward!!

• Magpie6699

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM

We gave him his chance when we (foolishly in my opinion) took him on with the Dabo case hanging over him AND several previous incidents of bad behaviour. This latest case makes no difference – I agree – but not in terms of keeping him – that was long ago decided for me. We should just sack him (but keep his registration).

• The Entertainers

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:13 PM

SSN are reporting the judge has indicated a suspended sentance…..unbelievable!

He can also start applying for parole too.

He’ll be out in time for the start of the season!

Criminal Justice system folkes…..bigger bloody joke than Barton himself!

• Ben

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM

What happened with Mutu. Did Chelsea get the money they took him to court for?

We should sack him and if we can get he transfer fee off him by taking him to court all the better. Including that £300k loyalty bonus!

• catawbamag

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:21 PM

Fortunely, the final decision doesnt rest with us.
    I hope the decision on whether he stays or goes lies with Kev.

If the King wants him back, I want him back. If the King says let him go, I’ll respect his decision.

• Nobby's Dad

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:25 PM

Another load of cr*p dumped on us at great expense by that Scottish w@nker Willie McKay! Ashley should issue a statement saying the Toon will never do business with him again. In the past couple of years he’s had about 15 – 20 million out of the club and not 1 of his clients has been worth signing

• steve

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:38 PM

Barton obviously gets his kicks out of punching the living daylights out of people who are unconscious – I agree we knew about this but I’d imagine Barton was saying it was nothing more than a training ground incident, and Pearce and Man City obviously just wanted their 6 million so said nowt
    Coupled with the fact he’s now in the nick for yet another offense and he now says he’s an alcoholic we should cut our losses and sack him
    To be honest I don’t care if KK wants to keep him, he’s bad news all round and I’ll bet there’ll be more incidents like this one in the future

• 51times

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Anyone watch the Tennis? Jesus, what a match. Truthfully I thought it was only a matter of time before Gasquet finished Murray off but I’m glad I was wrong.

• tam toon

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Am I missing the point here or what! When he came to the toon this Dabo thing must have been addressed. He told them he was innocent READ THIS:-Barton not afraid of prison
    3 December 2007 | 08:30 – PA Sport

email this page print this page change font size ARTICLE Joey Barton is not afraid of a prison sentence if he is found guilty of assaulting former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

The Newcastle and England midfielder is expected to be in court in June on a charge of occasioning actual bodily harm on Dabo – but Barton insists he has done nothing wrong.

In an interview for Inside Sport to be broadcast on BBC1, Barton said: “If you go to prison for defending yourself then, yes, I suppose I’ll have to think about it.”

“I don’t care. It doesn’t scare me at all, because I’ve done nothing wrong. I can go home and sleep at night and know I’ve done what I thought was right.”

“I don’t think I’m a bad person. If the incidents I’ve been involved in had been to anyone other than a Premier League footballer, I don’t think they’d even be mentioned. It was something that I’ve seen five, six, seven times since I’ve been a professional footballer.”

“But nobody cares whether I’m innocent or guilty – nobody cares. I’m already guilty before I’ve been sat in front of a judge – that’s the disappointing thing.”

“It’s my reputation. It’s my fault I’ve got that reputation, but you shouldn’t be slaughtered for trying to make yourself a better person. One day I will get to speak about the full facts.”

Well you had the chance you little Turd to speak about the full facts, but you took the deal and pleaded guilty. Well if you are now pleading guilty you lied to your employers, so you now should be sacked. NUFC have now got a watertight case to get shot- so please do it now!

• GSfan

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:48 PM

Nadal’s gonna win anyway. Dam the Spanish are on a rise this year :p

• normski1930z

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM

tam toon when i watched that interview the guy sounded abit like a fruitloop but who knows….

• ObaFan2

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Bully……….. with a short fuse.

• tam toon

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM

Well summed up Normski!

• dan_from_france

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:05 PM

get rid good riddamce i say

• toonbully

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:06 PM

The spirits of Hughie gallacher , Joe Harvey and Jackie Milburn who watch over st jame’s must be turning in their graves . like Jettson says he never has deserved the black and white stripes .
    GET RID OF THE NO GOOD SCUMBAG NOW !

• Fist of Fury

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Man City fan here – feel soory for you fellas with this one. Liked Barton initially as he came through the Academy and looked the part at times. A real shame he is and will always be a headcase !! – bully boy tactics and so glad that not only did we manage to offload him but a reasonable fee for him too. As they say you can take the lad out of Liverpool but ……… etc. He’s simply an egomaniac who believes he’s in the same class as Gerard- fact is he’s sh*** !

• normski1930z

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:09 PM

hey tam am sick to death of bad press for nufc but what can you do??? we knew this b4 he signed hes a s**t the interview with gabby logan was comical to say the least…. i have a higher calling….give me a f**kin break the guy is out of his f**kin mind/

• Geordie Nick

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:13 PM

everyone new this was gonna happen b4 we even signed him last year so wats the point whinging about it now, anyway hes the best midfielders we have at the club and we cant afford to let him go cos ashley isnt gonna be buying anyone better by the looks of it

• catawbamag

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:14 PM

BURN HIM, HES A WITCH, BURN HIM!

Mob mentality takes hold.

• Gooderz

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Joey must face some consequences. He must either be sacked or forced to take a significant wage cut should he stay otherwise the club’s going to look a soft touch and will make negotiating terms in our favour far more difficult.

• Punk Skunk

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:15 PM

toonbully, i think y’right man…But i also reckon in their day there was alot more players punching each other out…& now we get to hear about a lot more of these cases!..
    …Please don’t think i’m condoning it, i’m just sayin’ we have more info now!..

• Geordie Nick

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:17 PM

toonbully- hughie gallacher??? not exactly the best example now is it, an alcholic who was due in court for throwing an ahstray at his son so decied to commit suicide instd of going to court tht day

he used to pass a bottle of whiskey round at half time

• noel hopper

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:23 PM

little harsh….not that i am defending him but leagally as the case stantds he did defend himself after being attacked…would none of you have a go if some italian tosser had a swipe at you….as some of you have said the mcd’s thing much worse as member of public…could we not get frank warren to have a lok at him cause..alledgedly he has knocked out several blokes with just one punch…

• Yorkie Dave

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:27 PM

just seen the images on news at 10 and i think Ed should put a petition together to get this guy sacked . He is showing what a bad family he comes from. He must NEVER be aloud to play our sacred game or step foot onto the hallowed SJP turf again!!! I am outraged about this now ive seen this footage, They should loose his cell key for good!!

• normski1930z

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM

god all mighty but my wife has a valid point and i would say nish, she is beautiful and i trust her and she says that there are certain partys who i trust and there are things like dennis wise ye nah…… i dont why but she dosnt trust him and i trust my misses…

• Geoff Forster

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:30 PM

I’m sure at the end of the day, KK’ll be asked can you work with him … probably Yes.

Then it’ll be a financial decision. How much will we get for him, plus saving on his wages. Barton’s too clever to go for the pay cut option.

If he’s out before the season starts .. done his time .. isn’t he entitled to another chance?
    Or will he put others off signing for us. Will he re-offend?

Perhaps Aaron Spear’s mother should tell her boy not to offer him a cigar at the Christmas party.

• Obafemi Martins

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM

I think I’ve got a bit more time for Barton than others on here. He’s stated he thinks he was not necessarily completely to blame, and the statements show that the first aggressive move was made by Dabo. He was planning to plead “Not guilty” the whole time, but once informed by the Crown Court today that a “Guilty” plea will result in a suspended sentence, then his legal team will have told him: snap their hands off mate, and rightly so.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending his actions. I think he could have been the bigger man and left well alone, but at the time he was an active drinker and clearly had aggression issues, compounded by alchohlism.
    I actually respect him for admitting to such a destructive and anti-social affliction. From what I understand he has been tee-total for some time , and it was only his brother’s influence around Christmas/New Year that led him to fall off the wagon in spectacular style and get rat-arsed and punch some poor git. I think the professional help he has been getting for his problems will have helped him realise that he should not drink, ever.
    In summary, I think that he’s a fiery character, and he’s made some mistakes – but there is more the the story than just “Dabo got assaulted”, and he shouldn’t be persecuted continually for his alcoholism. This will be something that will stay with him for life, and no matter what bravado he shows along the lines of “I can do the time”, he will be severely psychologically influenced by this whole affair.
    It’s up to him to turn this into a positive for his career, and I think that as a club we can be an aid to his rehabilitation (6 million reasons why this should be our stance), and help him acheive what he clearly can be capable of. Everyone deserves a second chance, and he’s been through a period of making very poor choices. Yes he’s loaded, yes we’re all jealous, yes he should know better, but sometimes it takes going right up to the brink of disaster before reality hits home and you change your life for the better.
    I’d like to hope that Barton can show he is reformed, and prove that he can forge a professional career. He clearly has the passion that managers seek in their players, but he’s never had the guidance to channel that in a positive way. We as a club should offer that, and see where it can take us and Joey. I think both parties would benefit from this stance, rather than the “sack the little tw@” attitude that I can see is to a certain extent is justifiable, but in my opinion is shortsighted and not going to be beneficial to either player or club.
    The suspended sentence means he will be out by August, it’s up to us if we’re big enough to support a player of our club at the time of his greatest need, or simply turn our back on him.
    As a businessman, I might be tempted to say get rid, but as a human being, which we all are, I would urge compassion towards a fellow man.
    I hope someone read this to the end!

• Geordie Nick

Jun 30, 2008 at 10:34 PM

yorkie dave- get a life for f*k sake, a petition!! thts just about the worst idea iv ever heard