Barton Gets Suspended Sentence – Newcastle Statement

As we expected Joey Barton has been given a suspended sentence in his Dabo trial.

joey-barton-grey-suit.jpg

Joey Barton – sentence of 4 months suspended for 2 years

This is hardly a surprise since the judge yesterday told Barton he would give him a suspended sentence if he were to plead guilty, and Barton immediately obliged.

Joey Barton was given a four-month suspended prison sentence and 200 hours of community service today in Manchester after admitting he attacked a former Manchester City team-mate Ousame Dabo, during a training match argument, leaving Dabo unconscious and covered in blood.

Barton is already serving a six-month sentence for an attack outside a Liverpool branch of McDonald’s on December 27th last year.

Today’s sentence has been suspended for two years.

Judge Mushtaq Khokhar told Barton today:

“As a professional footballer you are someone who is talented and greatly idolized by young and old alike, whether you are playing at Manchester City and now at Newcastle United.”

“You are constantly in the public eye. You have a high profile, there would be instances of provocations … being an idol brings with it responsibilities which you have to carry with you all the time.”

“You want to be setting an example, particularly to those who idolize you, particularly youngsters who look up to you.”

As expected Newcastle United issued a statement immediately following the sentence:

Newcastle United notes the sentence passed to Joey Barton at Manchester’s Minshull Street Crown Court today.

The Club now intends to hold discussions with Joey and his representatives at the earliest possible opportunity.

Until such time that this meeting has taken place, there will be no further comment from the Club.

We now expect that meeting to take place in the very near future, and for Newcastle to issue a more detailed statement on what they have decided to do with Barton, following that meeting.

Comments very welcome.

• steve

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Thats British Justice for you – bet Dabo feels it was worthwhile flying over!

Bit of a joke really but lets get on with life and stop going on about it, we know we aren’t gonna sack him

• Mac

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:02 PM

One good thing to come from this today is taht we haven’t been linked with a host of new players

• Rich

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Where the comments before just someone messing? you dont understand how exited I got when someone said “heard the news fantastic news etc” then ed saying if its news hes heard its more then fantastic?

Was this someone messing about?!!? please confirm!!!

• BennAllen

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:09 PM

this is the best news ive heard all summer!! [concerning nufc]

• 51times

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:09 PM

I don’t care about Dabo and I don’t care about that little charv who Barton smacked. I do care about Newcastle United however, so everybody please come down from your pedestals and get over it.

• Stami

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:13 PM

51 times, i agree! As long as NUFC comes out on top on the pitch im happy!

• Kash2

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:15 PM

AXE HIM!!!!

• BennAllen

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:16 PM

kash2 not funny anymore..

• BennAllen

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:17 PM

good use of words thou

• Kash2

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Thanks

• HonoraryGeordie

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:19 PM

I think Dabo should get jail time for being a pussy and getting beaten by a lightweight like Barton…

• steve

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Lets face it he was shite last season anyway – playing mediocre for half a dozen games hardly makes him worthwhile – I dunno what half of you lot were watching when you say he was great last season.

I really feel like just not renewing my season ticket – Looks like we aint going to get any decent players in and we’re stuck with a loony who gets 60k a week for dragging us through the mud, weren’t we supposed to have finished with players like him.

No wonder every teams fans laugh at us!

• HonoraryGeordie

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:20 PM

Only messing, just bored of all this Barton-bashing (no pun intended!) and thought i’d be controversial

• Chris

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:20 PM

We’ve been linked to players all summer and to what? Barton is a quality player and he’s ours for another 3 years? Get him back in training.

• Matty

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Still dont want to see him playing on SJP turf again nor any in England. If I had a bairn and he smashed the crap out of some stranger and gave the excuse Barton did it I would fly off it – ok not likely to happen but you see my point.

• geordie in taipei

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:21 PM

I cant be bothered with this Barton stuff anymore – is there any news at all anywhere about signings? Weve let a load of players go and STILL doesnt seem to be anyone close to coming in !

• Davies

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:24 PM

Ed, how about a nice article about something else eh?

• Rob Kirton

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:27 PM

We’ve had other bad boys at the club. Dyer, Bowyer and Bellamy. We saw fit to move all of them on. Their misdameanours were nothing compared to Barton’s.

Being consistent we should move him on also.

If he has breached terms of his contract, he can be summarily dismissed, and not owed a penny. By making himself unavailabale for the day job, albeit at a very quiet time of year :0) he may already be in breach.

I am not one of the hang em and flog’em types, and actually have some sympathy for his drink related personal problems. However for the club not impose some form of punishment over and above the legal punishment he has received, sends out the wrong signal in terms of what is acceptable behaviour for an employee. Most businesses will have issued a formal warning at least by this point.

Apart from being morally dubious, cutting his wages has never really been an option. That would involve tearing up an existing contract and replacing it with another; which he would never agree to.

Barton must now walk into the headmasters office with a book down his pants. Don’t be totally surprised if he does receive the sack.

• sas

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Mac, spot on mate

• bashinexile

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:32 PM

There is an honest conflict of interest here between

(1) those who want the best for the club and naturally say “thank god now lets get our great player back on the pitch” and
    (2) those who want the best for the club and say “lets sack this liability for the damage he has done to our reputation, before he drags us down further”

I think Joey is a decent enough player but that can not be an issue here. I fear that by allowing him to stay we are mortgaging the soul of the club.

I’m not claiming to be whiter than white and I don’t think anyone should but I believe that grown men should display some form of moral compass. This basic need is so much greater given the money and the adulation of young fans that is involved here. An executive in any other business (in the public eye or not) would have lost his job for less and rightly so – the damage that this does is significant in the long term and not just to the bottom line.

I don’t want my children to idolise this man. I don’t want to chant this mans name from the sidelines and I don’t want to associate this man with a club I have supported all my life.

I feel its in the best, long term, interests of the club to sack him now.

• The Entertainers

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:32 PM

Yeah can we start off some rumours for a change.

I’ll start off….

I was in McDonalds in Liverpool today and sitting behind me was Joey Barton and i heard him say we were goin to sign Asharvin this week.

Honest!

• Davies

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:33 PM

How about a story about a really good signing?

• YID ARMY

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:34 PM

He has made your club a layghing stock yet again. Opposition fans will slaughter him every game he plays which will lead to bookings . He is a liability on and off the pitch. I dont even think he is a good player but with the state of your club i dont think you are in a position to sack him.

Even though the kid probably deserved a slap he must be sacked .

• YID ARMY

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Davies. That is mission impossible as you havent made a signing let alone a good signing since shearer.

• Davies

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM

At the risk of sounding tasteless (and utterly hypocritical), does anyone fancy bating Smith into a brawl?

• beye the great

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:38 PM

steve you say say thats british justice i completely agree i am not sure about the dabo incedent but in terms off that little chav there is no way he should have been sent to jailhow many times when you go out on the town do you see some one fighting n do they ever get sentenced and for the rest of the toon fans that say sack himjust think about the fact that keegan wants to give him a 2nd chance n as far asi am concerned keegan is always right

• Davies

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Sorry about that, don’t know what came over me…

• Lord Justice S***

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM

I in no way condone what JB done to the bloke in the street, they he probably deserved a punch in the gob, the subsequent beating was a bit overboard to say the least!!

Though the Dabo thing is just being used as a stick to beat Barton with!!

Nothing happened after this incident, it was classed as a training ground spat that happens on all training grounds!!

I shall resrve my judgement on the DABO incident until I have seen the evidence….and if it is more vicious than this then i shall pass judgement!!!!!!!!!!!

• normski1930z

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:41 PM

the best laugh about it is i watched the video and joey barton fights like wor lass i would love it he tryed that bs with me, i would pull his arms off and beat him around the head with them…..

• toooooon fan

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:42 PM

cant wait to see swp in black n white next season
    why dont anyone believe me anyway

• John

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:43 PM

just going off on a different story but did’nt a certain Toon Fan who regular hits this blog say Arshavin was in hes resteraunt with the King and big news was he was going to sign today?

Bull sh*ter

• normski1930z

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:45 PM

tooon fan you only have youself to blame coz you have told so many lies on here …..

• Davies

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:45 PM

It’s because you’re full of sh1t Tooooon fan.

Didn’t you know?

• John

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:45 PM

how about that…The minute i bring him up he comes in with some more bull sh*t ..

• HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:46 PM

I can’t see any signings until at least the weekend? Hope im wrong!!

• normski1930z

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:47 PM

spot on john, you must have a crystal ball mate…..

• Kash2

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Breaking News:

I was in the brothel waiting for the whore to see to my needs, when KK, Wisey and Jiminez came walking out the S&M room a little worse for wear talking about signing Ousemane Dabo from Roma.

You heard it here first!!!

• normski1930z

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:48 PM

@hate i hope we have got 2 in by then mate…..

• Spyro

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:49 PM

tooooon fan, im not being funny but haven’t you got anything better to do? most of us come on this site because we care about the club and we want to see it moving forward. It is for this reason that we regularly read ED’s articles, check the clubs progress, and then comment accordingly (most of the time). But my friend it just seems like you are on here to build some of the bloggers’ hopes up and get a cheap laugh out of it. correct me if i am wrong

• Kash2

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:49 PM

I started playing Football Manager again, and gave NUFC £40m to spend. I have to say that Chamakh is legendry on it. Actually, every player Tom_Toon has suggested is amazing on it.

Coincidence?