Carroll To Miss Euro Under-19 Tournament This Month

Really bad news for our young striker Andy Carroll, as he will now miss out on further England honors with the strong England Under-19 team this month, because he has suffered a heel injury.

andrew-carroll-4444.jpg

Andy Carroll – has a heel injury

The England Under-19 international striker was scheduled to play for his country in the European Under -19 Championship finals, after the side easily qualified top of their group. The Championships begin on July 14th.

Andy will now report back to St. James’ next Monday and have a scan and start treatment for his heel.

Carroll has subsequently been left out of the squad for the tournament in which England will play their first game against host country, the Czech Republic, in Jablonec on July 14.

An FA source said today:

“It’s unfortunate for Andy, but there will be plenty of chances for him in the future.”

“He’s made good progress on the international stage so far and hopefully there is more to come.”

Our Hungarian Under-19 International, 18 year-old Tamas Kadar may be playing in that tournament, assuming he has recovered from the injury he sustained on his first call-up for the full Hungary squad earlier this summer.

Kevin Keegan had expected to be without Andy for most of the pre-season program, but Andy will now at least be in Newcastle receiving treatment.  We don’t know how long he is scheduled to be out.

Keegan may have some striker problems with now both Andy and Mark Viduka out injured, but Oba Martins, Michael Owen and Alan Smith are available for selection. Looks like Alan will get a game in pre-season, and we’re sure he’ll be playing all out in an effort to remain at the club.

We are expecting Kevin to sign a new out and out striker shortly.

Shola Ameobi is also still with Newcastle, with the Nigerian-born striker still no closer to a transfer out of Newcastle, and he will also be trpotiyng for training on Monday.

• Chris

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Bad news for the lad. Would have been an opotunity to show his worth before the new season.

• Stami

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Anyone keen on putting money on Smith scoring this season…lol!

• Leo

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:15 PM

too bad, next signing please lol. only kiddin, i think that we will hear something from keegan today

• Graeme

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Ed, how on earth does Smith qualify as a Striker?? Its how many YEARS since he last scored a goal????

Assistant Corner Flag Attendant at best, preferably at Cheltenham or somewhere similar. Certainly donr want to see him cluttering up SJP next season.

• broon ale

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:19 PM

he (alan smith) has been included in the midfielder section on the official website

• Davies

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Smith actually scored in pre season last year. His first match with us I think. I don’t remember the last time he scored a competitive goal. Perhaps he’ll do it this season, but hopoefully at another club. Shame, I like the guy and his work rate is fantastic. Unfortunately he’s given us too many yellow cards and little else.

As for Carroll, as long as it’s not too serious, I reckon he’ll be getting a bit of first team action this season. Hopefully there will be somebody other than Smith or Ameobi (neither of which should still be with us by the 16th August) to take some shots at Old Trafford with Oba and Owen. Perhaps Derdiyok……..

• Bill F SPLASH MORE CASH ASH

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:32 PM

I’m afraid your Russian antecedents are showing through Ed. trpotiyng for training!! Unless its something new. 🙂

• ObaFan2

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Davies, I seem to remember it being a good goal by Smith too, if memory serves from a corner and a good headed goal.

Shame for Carroll but I’m sure he’ll get more chances.

Ronaldo is apparantly having a minor op. but unfortunately he’d be due back for the opening game of the season 🙁 Let’s hope there is a complication along the way and he misses the first game of the season (thats if he’s still in the EPL!).

• Obafan

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Bad luck for the young lad, but I think he will have other chances in the future.

I can’t stand the fact that it will be almost certain that Smith will be here for yet another season. Talking about a player who has got nothing to offer to a team. The only thing he does is tackling at the worst moments, resulting in dangerous set pieces for the opponents; the only good thing is that he gets lots of yellow cards so he is suspended a couple of games.
    What a stupid decision to put him in our central midfield last season. We all criticised Butt, indeed me too (e.g. at Old Trafford), but it was not a gift to play next to Smith.

• Ben_BKK

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:16 PM

“Bill F SPLASH MORE CASH ASH // Jul 3, 2008 at 14:32

I’m afraid your Russian antecedents are showing through Ed. trpotiyng for training!! Unless its something new. :)”

I was wondering if I was the only one who’d picked up on that 😛 Usually I wouldn’t say anything, but then I can usually guess what you mean…in this case, I have no idea what you’re saying.

• Marc Hottiger

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:21 PM

He means reporting, I think.

• Bill F SPLASH MORE CASH ASH

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:31 PM

I sure its meant to be reporting, its just that it sounds a little Russian. And to be honest I dont know what I am saying half of the time, so I am hardly one to be picky. 🙂