There’s not much new news today on the transfer market with Newcastle United, but we thought it would be worthwhile to list the most recent players we look to be after.
Gokhan Inler – Â£4M good price for Swiss International
- Newcastle are said to be preparing a Â£4m bid for Swiss international Gokhan Inler, according to the Daily Telegraph. Inler looked good in the Swiss games in Euro 2008 and is of Turkish descent, which cannot be too bad.
The 24-year-old Udinese midfielder stands just under 6’0″ tall, and only turned 24 on June 27th.Â Â The news is that Keegan was impressed with the midfielder at Euro 2008, and has presumably had him fully checked out by Dennis Wise and the recruitment team.
Â£4M would be a good price for the club and would seem a good buy for the Swiss International who has now been capped 18 times for his country.
- As we reported yesterday we may be very interested in Rosenborg’s star central midfielder, Per Ciljan Skjelbred. The 21-year-old Norway defender would look a great acquisition for the club, but it seems we would need to move quickly for the boy, because Rozenburg are getting him to sing a new contract within 2 weeks.
His agent has warned Newcastle that they will need to bid soon for his player, if they really want him. Not sure of the price for the youngster, but as far as skill go it seems he would a be a good long term buy, and of course he has supported Newcastle since he was a child.Â Â 😀
- We were linked yesterday with 5’7″ striker Leroy Lita of Reading, by the News OfÂ The World, but we give little credence to that story. Maybe Sunbderland and Middlesbrough are in for the player and the NOTW just threw Newcastle United into the mix, but what we’ve seen of Leroy, we’re not sure he’s good enough for Newcastle, quite honestly.
- We were linked yesterday with two center-backs.
23 year-old Anton Ferdinand from West Ham for around Â£6M, which we think is too much and with 28 year-old Dutch defender, Joris Mathijsen. The Dutchman is quoted at Â£10M, which we again think is too much although he did play solidly for Holland at Euro 2008.
We think Mathijsen may be a good buy if we can bring the price down, but we’re not too sure about Anton, who’ve we’ve been linked with many times before, and therefore we wouldn’t bother with him.
- News in the People yesterday that we are after Steve Sidwell from Chelsea for Â£5M – and will challenge Aston Villa for his services.
We’ll have a full story on this today, but for Â£5M we think 25 year-old Steve would be a good buy, and would probably mean Joey Barton is on his way out of Tyneside.
We think buying Gokhan Inler, (24), Per Ciljan Skjelbred (21), Steve Sidwell (25) and Joris Mathijsen (28) for Newcastle, at decent prices, would all be good moves for the club, and certainly strengthen our squad, who return for pre-season training today.Â Â 😀