New Comments Policy For The Newcastle United Blog

As you may now know, we were forced to close down the comment section to the articles last Sunday night, because the comments were simply getting out of control.

nufc-crest.png

And I feel responsible as the owner of the web site to control these types of comments.

Since then I’ve had lots of notes from our readers on ways to overcome this and control inappropriate comments better.

The main thing we will now start doing, that we’ve resisted in the past, is that repeat offenders will be banned form leaving a comment.

So here’s the new procedures we will follow starting tomorrow:

• Every user will continue to register with their name and email ID
  •  If a user posts a comment which is inappropriate – I will give them a warning via email.
  •  If, for some reason, I cannot contact them via their email ID, they get banned immediately.
  •  The second time a user posts an inappropriate comment they will be banned
  •  If someone logs on with my name as Ed Harrison, Dr. Ed Harrison or whatever, which has been happening more frequently recently, they will be banned immediately.
  • If someone is making inappropriate comments I ask that users on the site contact me immediately via the Contact Form, which will be handily available.
    I will not mind getting multiple emails from users, because I’ll need to take action fairly immediately.
    One example may be from other club’s supporters, who only log on to try to stir the Newcastle fans up, and have been succeeding too many times lately.
  • Use of bad language is discouraged and if a comment contains certain words – you know what they are, they will straight to me to be moderated. However, whereas before I simply changed the offending words to  ***   I’ll now just delete the comments.
    The “F” word and the “C” word are two words that are not allowed.

Also, to aid readers who use mobile phones and personal assistants to view our web site, when you click on an article, the first column on the right, which contains a lot of pictures and therefore lots of data, will not be downloaded.

This will hopefully improve the usability of the site for mobile users.

I’d like to get some feedback to see if this is effective and also advice on how the site could be better improved for mobile users – again please use the contact form.

When you click on the home site www.nufcblog.com there will be the usual two columns on the right hand side.

We’ll start these new procedures in a way that will continue to allow our users to post reasonable comments on the site. It’s only about 1% of the readers that try to spoil it for everybody else – but let’s now declare war on that 1%.

Comments are welcome again, and I’ve set it so that you can now comment on yesterdya’s articles – but please keep them civil.

The new procedures go immediately into effect – and I am relying on our loyal readers to work with me to control the inappropriate comments, so we can do what we all want to do.

That is to have good discussions about the news of the day concerning our great club – Newcastle United.    😀

Thanks – Ed Harrison.

• Pan

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Nice one Ed 🙂

• Ross

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Ed, the moment i posted my comment in the previous lambias article, this appeared and basically answers the exact question i posed to you,haha

• matty_g

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:14 AM

Gr8 idea Ed,

• mozza

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:16 AM

just put this on another story but al admit am wrong twice,you dont what youv’e got till it’s gone, mind saying that al hold me hands up av had a pop at other clubs stirrers on here, and at 36 a should know better, my lass said the day”you look like youv’e lost a limb you misserable ####”, dont rise to the people snipin on here is the lesson a few including myself need to learn, cheers ed although my lass wont thank you

• mozza

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:19 AM

aye ross and as a said before i agree with you, humble pie tastes ramk

• Hadrian

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:25 AM

nice to have comments back (was wanting a moan earlier on an article 😀 ) , but id think you’d find the blog would just be another ‘also ran’ without them .

• furrygiblets

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Awesome news Ed cheers!

So what’s everyone’s thoughts on getting Faz back 😀

• Mac

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Nice on Ed welcome back. Well another slow day today. Glad Newcastle spoke out to quash any rumours,just wish Cashley would come out and say a bit.

• Nick Gray

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:33 AM

good on ya ed.

dont let the few ruin it for the rest of us.

• cooldj

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:33 AM

name and shame thats what i say (as long as wall virginity don’t count as offensive!!! (i weren’t here on sunday, in nice words what was said??))-but whats to stop those offenders putting down another email and then coming with a new name?? i spose the whole waiting for moderation is particuarly annoying!!!

• ObaFan2

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Great news Ed and like others I’m so happy the comments are back and hopefully back to stay.

A blog gets pretty emplty without comments and what would we do without TT’s words of wisdom on foreign footballers 🙂 lol

• Daniel Petersen

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:37 AM

Cheers Ed, good to have you back.

• domtoon

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Well, I guess we all have to work together to make this work this time.

• Chris F

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:39 AM

While it’s good to see comments back, i do still think a wholly better solution would be to keep them seperate entirely from the articles on a seperate forum section for the site.

that would allow you add an appropriate link at the bottom of each article pointing to the forums, as well as giving you more control over who can post, which would do away with all the incendiary baiting coming from other clubs’…..well, from spurs fans.

you may not be able to moderate them yourself, ed, but i’m sure there are plenty of regular commentators on here who could help you out as forum mods, though obviously you’d have to be able to trust whoever was given that privilege.

the sad fact is, the site’s popularity is becoming it’s undoing, as an unmoderated comments facility is just too open to abuse, as we’ve seen in the past few days.

it would also serve to keep things on topic, as far too often i’ve seen these comments sections descend into either slanging matches, or veer off on topics wholly unrelated to the article they’re attached to.

i have nothing against that sort of thing, but it has it’s place, and live comments on a blog should, imo, be kept relevant to the article they’re attached to.

just my tuppence worth.

• arctoa

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:41 AM

I rarely ever comment any more anyway, but it’s all good in the hood with this new system. It did seem like things were getting out of control. Keep up the good stuff, Ed: this is my staple daily source of information, along with nufc.com.

• ToonDaft

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:43 AM

love the comments at the end of articles Ed, shame for the idiots i agree 😉

• mozza

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:43 AM

@domtoon aye you right there, we should collectivelly adopt a no reaction to provokers attitude, dont react and they’ll soon get bored

• Nick K.

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:45 AM

I have always liked this website. Good to hear that a policy for posting is in place. Chris’s idea of separating the news and comments sounds like a good. However, this might mean more work for Ed. 🙂

• Jim

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:45 AM

Good to have this back Ed. Being away from the North East, there’s not that many folk to talk Toon news to.

• Aussie geordie

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Thanks Ed.

• JR Lutterbach Habib

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Great changes, Ed.

Sorry for some language erros, I’ll try to write down as right as I know. I’m brazilian, and there are some slangs that I’ll probably don’t know.

Finally, I try to comment all NUFC’s news right here.

Proud to be here, the most famous NUFC Blog on the net. At least in Brazil.

• Mac

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Why where are u Jim?

• Mac

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Aussiegeordie where abouts in OZ are u?

• Jim

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Sooo… Anyone got a reasonable idea about who’s stirring the brown stuff about the club? I think there must be more to it than pure newspaper naughtiness.

Whatever the source, I think Ashley could have personally knocked all this fuss on the head a long time ago with a definitive statement of intent, both to boost the supporters as well as attract potential signings.

Abereen Mac. Left the NE about 12 years ago.

• Tom_Toon

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Cheers Ed, i thought i might have to start up my social life again 🙂

• harrier

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:52 AM

booyah! nice ed! if we all behave ourselves the wum’s and such will stick out like sore thumbs

• Tom_Toon

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:54 AM

We have just signed Inler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the official site!

• Mac

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:54 AM

Nice one. Yeah i left 3 years ago and now live in Liverpool. However missus was born in Oz so now talking about moving over there.
    I’m not sure if the brown stuff is being stirred,i won’t convinced until Cashley backs KK or he comes out himself and squashes the rumours

• Ross G

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Wots the F and C words = =Fulham and Charlton??

• mozza

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:55 AM

i was thinking that tom toon, av been having blog withdrawl symptoms all day

• Tom_Toon

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:56 AM

aye mozza, doesnt help where i am its been torrential rain all day!

• Mac

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Tom don’t mess about please. He would be my trophy signing

• Ross G

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Tom Toon u liar can u ban him Ed?

• FOX TOON

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Just like to say this is a good idea Ed, This is my 1st post on this site and maybe my last (who knows?) but I am on here everyday to see what is goin on in the world of NUFC, it helps my days go that lil bit faster. Hope we get some more signings in soon!

Well, Good work Ed kepp it up!

• Tom_Toon

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:57 AM

🙂

First wind up on the reborn blog!

Nothing offensive about that!

• ragzy

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:58 AM

edwardo domingo, the crazy legged winger that never was.
    Appreciate the effort, some things just go to far!

• Mac

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:59 AM

Yeah there is i am close to tears, I want this guy to sign would be immense

• mozza

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:59 AM

ha ha tom toon back with a bang nowt like a wind up to galvanise the troops

• Tom_Toon

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:00 AM

The expletives now have to be replaced with ‘poo head’ 🙂

• Mac