Didier Turned Down Magpies For Middlebrough

The Middlesbrough official web site is reporting today that their new signing, Frenchman, Didier Digard claims he snubbed Portsmouth, Newcastle United and Monaco to eventually sign for Middlebrough.

didier-digard-_939867.jpg

Didier Digard – impressive youngster turned down Newcastle

Apparently the 21 year-old youngster, who Newcastle were said to be interested in, has claimed he snubbed a host of clubs to join the Middlesbrough club.

Digard told the club’s official website today:

“I am very pleased to be joining Middlesbrough because it is a project that is totally different to Paris Saint Germain,” “I know you are trying to build something here.

“Gareth Southgate was a big influence on my decision to come to Middlesbrough. I had the opportunity to go to other clubs – including Monaco, Newcastle United and Portsmouth – but I was very impressed by Gareth.”

“I know he has a great relationship with the players and it was clear he knew exactly what he wanted to do with the club. He convinced me this was the club for me.”

“I know the Middlesbrough players because I have seen them playing important Premier League games on TV in France.” “I like the way they play and I am looking forward to being a part of that,”

“I know that the challenge is to get in the top seven or eight places in The Premier League and to have the chance of get into fifth place and qualify for the Uefa Cup. That is what I want to help Middlesbrough do.”

“If I can help the club achieve their ambitions, then I can achieve my ambitions too. I have to perform well for Middlesbrough and for the France Under-21 team and only then I can hope to be picked for the full French side.”

The presence of fellow countryman Jeremie Aliadiere at The Riverside will presumably help Digard settle down while he starts his English lessons, as he continued:

“At the beginning it is perfect to have Jeremie here. I don’t know him personally but of course it is good to have a French-speaking player to help me.”

“But it is important for me to get to know all of the players and to feel part of the club so I will be taking English lessons as soon as possible.”

Let’s be brutally honest, here – as Newcastle fans this is very disappointing news because , make no mistake, this boy looks very good and a potential star of the future.

He would have been heralded as an excellent buy if we had managed to get him to Tyneside.

We also believe that what Didier says is 95% likely to be the truth, because he would hardly tell fibs on his first interview with the Middlesbrough official web site.

It’s an excellent signing for the Teesside club, no doubt about it, and it’s not easy for us to say that, and we also think Gareth Southgate can turn into a very good manager.  In fact all 3 north east clubs right now have top class managers.

The only thing we can potentially learn from this, is that Kevin must be allowed to talk to every player potentially coming to the club.

We have to allow Kevin to speak to these potential signings so he can sell the club and his vision to the players.

That’s something that will be very difficult for Dennis Wise to do right now, let’s face it – as a Londoner who has only just joined the club. We do expect him to get better as he’s at the club longer, but Kevin’s also the manager the players will be playing for.

We’re not blaming Dennis at all, don’t get us wrong, but surely the manager always has to speak to the players about his vision for the club.

And of course there’s nobody better doing that than Kevin Keegan – although Gareth seems to have done a good job – at least with Didier.

Gareth was a great player, who Bobby Robson almost signed for us when he managed Newcastle, and there’s no doubt he’s a great guy – and very down to earth, but this one is still a difficult one for us to take.

Boy, we’re feeling  a little bit depressed right now, where’s those pills.  🙁

• Spyro

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:29 PM

good player, bit of a shame we missed out on him to tell the truth. Oh well, plenty more fish in the sea

• toon-munch

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM

LoL that’ll teach him dumbass hope he likes fizzy pop

• A geordiedoonsooth

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Honestly I’m not really bothered that we didn’t get him. I don’t think he’s what we need.

• HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM

never mind! didn’t really rate him! better player out there at similar price!!

• bin laden fc

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Just wait til he sees all the fans turn out to support their club next season!!!

Or the lack of them, tee hee.

• Stami

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM

he will regret this terrible mistake!!! “oh gosh darn…i should have moved to the Toon when i had the chance…curses” 🙂

• MAG PIE

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Didier hell! I don’t believe him. Maybe we enquired but no offer. it’s redknapp all over again.

• HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM

A question for you lot!
    If we had £50 million to spend who would you buy realistically? or at a push!!

• Kash2

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Did he really turn us down?

• Kash2

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:38 PM

@HPS: Haven’t got a clue!

• Tom_Toon

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Ed, why would Aliadiere be an influence?

We have Zoggy who is in the u-21 french team with Digard.

• Tom_Toon

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM

HPS – We dont need £50mil, we need half that.

• bin laden fc

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM

I believe we can only target players that are not being targeted by clubs with any sort of European footy.

• Kash2

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Apparently we’re the only offer on the table for Larsson!

I reckon Digard is a bit of an arse to be honest, anyone see his rant about PSG?

• Tom_Toon

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

bin laden fc = fernando

• Ally

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Hope he hasnt got a young family for the sake of the kids

• normski1930z

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

turned us down …..yeah right..

• iain

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

sounds thick as pig muck that lad, never mind turning us down if he turned down pompey as well he’s crackers. euro footy plenty of french lads down there, better manager, better lifestyle and living, better weather, closer to france.

ill bet his wages have more to do with it than anything or the fee that was paid. its not like top clubs were queing up for him was it.

i was gutted about moric and turan but not this lad, psg are cack have been for ages and lets face it the last player we signed from them was useless.

wneger is in need of a replacement for flamini and didnt even try to sign him.

boro wanted him more congrats to them on getting a player they wanted, not a huge loss to nufc imo.

• bin laden fc

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

read that too kash – would be a great aquisition imo. I’d make an offer for kapo as well.

• MAG PIE

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Tom Toon – NZogbia not likely to sing our praises – he wants away doesn’t he?

• HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Tom toon just go with it?
    Who would you buy for to fill needed positions!!! and who would you get rid of?

• Bob

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

If he wants to qualify for the UEFA Cup, why did he:

+ turn down Portsmouth – who are in the UEFA Cup after winning the FA Cup last year

+turn down Monaco who, I believe, challenge for a Champions League Spot regularly

Sounds like a load of balls to me. Probably wanted to get on the fan’s side.

• Punk Skunk

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Very much doubt we offered anythin’ for him, otherwise he’d be here, not smogsville!..
    …Blah, blah, blah southgate nice man (no coaching badge!), blah, blah paid cash money for me, blah, blah NUFC didn’t want me!..
    …Wow, what a signing!.. 😀

• bin laden fc

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

bin laden fc = scotty. Just bored so i thought i’d play with me name for a bit. Once we have some transfers to start taking about i’ll act my age and stick with scotty.

• iain

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

ed – i would take this palyers comments with a pinch of salt given the argument he had with psg in the press over this move.

• MAG PIE

• bin laden fc

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:46 PM

magpie your deluded!!! lol

• Tom_Toon

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM

MAG PIE – Deluded 🙂

and Zoggy came out and said he was very happy here, take it you missed that?

• furrygiblets

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM

i agree with what Bob said, why would he turn down those other two clubs if it’s European football he wants?

• Spyro

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Mag Pie if you offered that type of money you wouldnt get ANY of those players…well maybe Ashton. Joe Cole for 15million!? Barry is valued at 18 by Villa so how did you work that one out mate? lol

Boro love Wheater and he wouldnt go for less than 8million or something. Inler will cost around 8 also i think. I cant be bothered to talk about the VDV bit, you know what i think about that.

• Tom4Nufc

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Would have been a good signing, I am currently in France and all the papers have been saying that Newcastle inquired about the player and he would have jumped at the chance to join us, but we infact didnt make a bid.

This is odd as two weeks ago the papers where claiming that it was a done deal and he had signed for us, just shows the media know nothing.

• normski1930z

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

50 mil eh we will be lucky to get 50 pence out of the fat lad if im honest hps…

• toon-munch

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

oh well the spuds didn’t want spidey apparently but hey look

Tottenham are being linked with Real Mallorca winger Juan Arango, who has admitted he wants to move to England this summer. (Clubcall, 1515 BST)

• MAG PIE

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

TT – I did miss that. thats good news – no doubt Geremi got the credit. Not missing his Mum anymore Charlie?

• Punk Skunk

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Spyro, y’knarwarra mean?..What a crock…
    …No-one wanted him, that’s the only way smoggers get players!..
    …As someone said earlier, he’s just tryin’ to get on-side with their mighty 12,000 hard core fans!..

• Kash2

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM

I’d have Kapo, but I think we’re pretty much well stocked for wingers. Maybe if we bin Duff, then he could be worth looking at!

• steve

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM

I’d not be to sure that he actually turned down the chance to join Newcastle

• MAG PIE

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Spyro

When will Joe Cole play for Chelski ?

Only if lampard goes and even then surely Deco will be ahead of him. Then there’s talk of Robinho, Arshavin and others signing.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

KK can persuade – ask Sir Les

The Toon Army have impressed Joe Cole – he’s said so before

Ok – more likely he’d join fernando’s lot but it is not impossible

• Spyro

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Digard is a decent young player and i would have liked to sign him, but him turning down us and pompey sounds a bit errrrr (roll eyes).

i think we inquired and didnt follow up, much like what we are doing with everyone else lol

1 2 3 6