The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Didier Turned Down Magpies For Middlebrough

4:27 pm, Wednesday, July 9th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 204 Comments

The Middlesbrough official web site is reporting today that their new signing, Frenchman, Didier Digard claims he snubbed Portsmouth, Newcastle United and Monaco to eventually sign for Middlebrough.

didier-digard-_939867.jpg

Didier Digard – impressive youngster turned down Newcastle

Apparently the 21 year-old youngster, who Newcastle were said to be interested in, has claimed he snubbed a host of clubs to join the Middlesbrough club.

Digard told the club’s official website today:

“I am very pleased to be joining Middlesbrough because it is a project that is totally different to Paris Saint Germain,” “I know you are trying to build something here.

“Gareth Southgate was a big influence on my decision to come to Middlesbrough. I had the opportunity to go to other clubs – including Monaco, Newcastle United and Portsmouth – but I was very impressed by Gareth.”

“I know he has a great relationship with the players and it was clear he knew exactly what he wanted to do with the club. He convinced me this was the club for me.”

“I know the Middlesbrough players because I have seen them playing important Premier League games on TV in France.” “I like the way they play and I am looking forward to being a part of that,”

“I know that the challenge is to get in the top seven or eight places in The Premier League and to have the chance of get into fifth place and qualify for the Uefa Cup. That is what I want to help Middlesbrough do.”

“If I can help the club achieve their ambitions, then I can achieve my ambitions too. I have to perform well for Middlesbrough and for the France Under-21 team and only then I can hope to be picked for the full French side.”

The presence of fellow countryman Jeremie Aliadiere at The Riverside will presumably help Digard settle down while he starts his English lessons, as he continued:

“At the beginning it is perfect to have Jeremie here. I don’t know him personally but of course it is good to have a French-speaking player to help me.”

“But it is important for me to get to know all of the players and to feel part of the club so I will be taking English lessons as soon as possible.”

Let’s be brutally honest, here – as Newcastle fans this is very disappointing news because , make no mistake, this boy looks very good and a potential star of the future.

He would have been heralded as an excellent buy if we had managed to get him to Tyneside.

We also believe that what Didier says is 95% likely to be the truth, because he would hardly tell fibs on his first interview with the Middlesbrough official web site.

It’s an excellent signing for the Teesside club, no doubt about it, and it’s not easy for us to say that, and we also think Gareth Southgate can turn into a very good manager.  In fact all 3 north east clubs right now have top class managers.

The only thing we can potentially learn from this, is that Kevin must be allowed to talk to every player potentially coming to the club.

We have to allow Kevin to speak to these potential signings so he can sell the club and his vision to the players.

That’s something that will be very difficult for Dennis Wise to do right now, let’s face it – as a Londoner who has only just joined the club. We do expect him to get better as he’s at the club longer, but Kevin’s also the manager the players will be playing for.

We’re not blaming Dennis at all, don’t get us wrong, but surely the manager always has to speak to the players about his vision for the club.

And of course there’s nobody better doing that than Kevin Keegan – although Gareth seems to have done a good job – at least with Didier.

Gareth was a great player, who Bobby Robson almost signed for us when he managed Newcastle, and there’s no doubt he’s a great guy – and very down to earth, but this one is still a difficult one for us to take.

Boy, we’re feeling  a little bit depressed right now, where’s those pills.  :(

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

204 responses so far ↓

• 1 Spyro // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:29 PM

good player, bit of a shame we missed out on him to tell the truth. Oh well, plenty more fish in the sea

• 2 toon-munch // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM

LoL that’ll teach him dumbass hope he likes fizzy pop

• 3 A geordiedoonsooth // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Honestly I’m not really bothered that we didn’t get him. I don’t think he’s what we need.

• 4 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:35 PM

never mind! didn’t really rate him! better player out there at similar price!!

• 5 bin laden fc // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Just wait til he sees all the fans turn out to support their club next season!!!

Or the lack of them, tee hee.

• 6 Stami // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM

he will regret this terrible mistake!!! “oh gosh darn…i should have moved to the Toon when i had the chance…curses” :)

• 7 MAG PIE // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Didier hell! I don’t believe him. Maybe we enquired but no offer. it’s redknapp all over again.

• 8 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM

A question for you lot!
    If we had £50 million to spend who would you buy realistically? or at a push!!

• 9 Kash2 // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Did he really turn us down?

• 10 Kash2 // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:38 PM

@HPS: Haven’t got a clue!

• 11 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Ed, why would Aliadiere be an influence?

We have Zoggy who is in the u-21 french team with Digard.

• 12 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM

HPS – We dont need £50mil, we need half that.

• 13 bin laden fc // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM

I believe we can only target players that are not being targeted by clubs with any sort of European footy.

• 14 Kash2 // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM

Apparently we’re the only offer on the table for Larsson!

I reckon Digard is a bit of an arse to be honest, anyone see his rant about PSG?

• 15 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

bin laden fc = fernando

• 16 Ally // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Hope he hasnt got a young family for the sake of the kids

• 17 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

turned us down …..yeah right..

• 18 iain // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM

sounds thick as pig muck that lad, never mind turning us down if he turned down pompey as well he’s crackers. euro footy plenty of french lads down there, better manager, better lifestyle and living, better weather, closer to france.

ill bet his wages have more to do with it than anything or the fee that was paid. its not like top clubs were queing up for him was it.

i was gutted about moric and turan but not this lad, psg are cack have been for ages and lets face it the last player we signed from them was useless.

wneger is in need of a replacement for flamini and didnt even try to sign him.

boro wanted him more congrats to them on getting a player they wanted, not a huge loss to nufc imo.

• 19 bin laden fc // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

read that too kash – would be a great aquisition imo. I’d make an offer for kapo as well.

• 20 MAG PIE // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Tom Toon – NZogbia not likely to sing our praises – he wants away doesn’t he?

• 21 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Tom toon just go with it?
    Who would you buy for to fill needed positions!!! and who would you get rid of?

• 22 Bob // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

If he wants to qualify for the UEFA Cup, why did he:

+ turn down Portsmouth – who are in the UEFA Cup after winning the FA Cup last year

+turn down Monaco who, I believe, challenge for a Champions League Spot regularly

Sounds like a load of balls to me. Probably wanted to get on the fan’s side.

• 23 Punk Skunk // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Very much doubt we offered anythin’ for him, otherwise he’d be here, not smogsville!..
    …Blah, blah, blah southgate nice man (no coaching badge!), blah, blah paid cash money for me, blah, blah NUFC didn’t want me!..
    …Wow, what a signing!.. :D

• 24 bin laden fc // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

bin laden fc = scotty. Just bored so i thought i’d play with me name for a bit. Once we have some transfers to start taking about i’ll act my age and stick with scotty.

• 25 iain // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

ed – i would take this palyers comments with a pinch of salt given the argument he had with psg in the press over this move.

• 26 MAG PIE // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:46 PM

At the risk of TT calling me deluded I’d spend my £50 million:

£15m Van der Vaart
    £15m Joe Cole
    £10m Dean Ashton
    £5m Inler
    £5m Wheater

• 27 Spyro // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:46 PM

LOL @ Punk Skunk

• 28 bin laden fc // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:46 PM

magpie your deluded!!! lol

• 29 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM

MAG PIE – Deluded :)

and Zoggy came out and said he was very happy here, take it you missed that?

• 30 furrygiblets // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM

i agree with what Bob said, why would he turn down those other two clubs if it’s European football he wants?

• 31 Spyro // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Mag Pie if you offered that type of money you wouldnt get ANY of those players…well maybe Ashton. Joe Cole for 15million!? Barry is valued at 18 by Villa so how did you work that one out mate? lol

Boro love Wheater and he wouldnt go for less than 8million or something. Inler will cost around 8 also i think. I cant be bothered to talk about the VDV bit, you know what i think about that.

• 32 Tom4Nufc // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Would have been a good signing, I am currently in France and all the papers have been saying that Newcastle inquired about the player and he would have jumped at the chance to join us, but we infact didnt make a bid.

This is odd as two weeks ago the papers where claiming that it was a done deal and he had signed for us, just shows the media know nothing.

• 33 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

50 mil eh we will be lucky to get 50 pence out of the fat lad if im honest hps…

• 34 toon-munch // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

oh well the spuds didn’t want spidey apparently but hey look

Tottenham are being linked with Real Mallorca winger Juan Arango, who has admitted he wants to move to England this summer. (Clubcall, 1515 BST)

• 35 MAG PIE // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

TT – I did miss that. thats good news – no doubt Geremi got the credit. Not missing his Mum anymore Charlie?

• 36 Punk Skunk // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Spyro, y’knarwarra mean?..What a crock…
    …No-one wanted him, that’s the only way smoggers get players!..
    …As someone said earlier, he’s just tryin’ to get on-side with their mighty 12,000 hard core fans!..

• 37 Kash2 // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:51 PM

I’d have Kapo, but I think we’re pretty much well stocked for wingers. Maybe if we bin Duff, then he could be worth looking at!

• 38 steve // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM

I’d not be to sure that he actually turned down the chance to join Newcastle

• 39 MAG PIE // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Spyro

When will Joe Cole play for Chelski ?

Only if lampard goes and even then surely Deco will be ahead of him. Then there’s talk of Robinho, Arshavin and others signing.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

KK can persuade – ask Sir Les

The Toon Army have impressed Joe Cole – he’s said so before

Ok – more likely he’d join fernando’s lot but it is not impossible

• 40 Spyro // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Digard is a decent young player and i would have liked to sign him, but him turning down us and pompey sounds a bit errrrr (roll eyes).

i think we inquired and didnt follow up, much like what we are doing with everyone else lol

• 41 Punk Skunk // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM

i wouldn’t have joke hole, not even for less than £15m, he’s a one-trick pony, no left foot, dwells on the ball & tries too hard to be impressive, in short he’s a ball-greedy show-off!..

• 42 MAG PIE // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:55 PM

gotta go … 2 morrow we sign a biggie – Tom toon will be optimistic …. fernando will change sides …..the site will crash.

• 43 Ed Dub // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I bet anything the reason he chose Middelsbrough was for money, they probably offered him better terms then Newcastle and pompey.

He can’t say that the football we play isn’t exciting.
    He also can’t complain about the lack of French speaking players at the club, we have Baye, Geremi, N’Zogbia, Cacapa and a couple of others I think.

As do pompey!

It was all about the cash, make no mistake.

• 44 Spyro // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Joe Cole seems like the exact type of player Scolari will play to me

• 45 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM

joe cole ?? i would rather have mikel arteta or tim cahill if am honest…

• 46 Spyro // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Joe Cole is fantastic, how can people doubt him?

• 47 Davies // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM

I haven’t read most of these comments as I’m “busy” at work. Not fussed about Digard, but we should really get a better offer in for Larsson before other clubs do.

As for Gareth Southgate; I remember him for one thing….

Penalty shootout anyone?

• 48 Tom4Nufc // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I agree with spyro, and to those who say he hasnt got a left foot, how come he managed to keep his place in the chelsea and england team on the left of midfield for so long?

• 49 harrier // Jul 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Have you seen Inler’s picture on his website?

he is baaaaaad-a**

• 50 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:01 PM

divent knaa aboot that like harrier he looks abit light on his feet to me….

• 51 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Joe Cole is englands most talented player and one of the only ones who actually deserves to play international football.

• 52 Matthew // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Digard has been stopping at N’Zogbias place while he’s been over here, good friends apparently.

If we had a bid accepted for the ladies agent would have been shouting about it from the rooftops like he did throughout the whole negotiation stage with Boro.

• 53 DC Magpie // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Here is a site to bookmark;

That is if you like giving back as much as we just received from a mr Fernando

My 50 M (Assuming KK does the negotiations)

4 – Onouha or Etuhu (Young Man City FBs)
    6 – Derdiyok
    8 – Swiss holding midfielder who some would claim we have already signed
    15 – Mountinho
    15 – Collocini

2 – on young talent from Turkey, UK, Brazil, Portugal etc

Not sure how much Skjelbred would cost but I’d get him in as well :)

• 54 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:04 PM

tt i think stevie gerrard might have a little look in there like…

• 55 gordon // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM

this site becomes further embareesment to local fans of newcastle united with every piece of garbage put on this site.

• 56 DC Magpie // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM

now im off b4 i get the sack

• 57 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Gerrard has as much talent as Joe Cole has in his big toe.

• 58 Michael Sidgwick // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:08 PM

When are we ever going to learn? It’s an accepted fact that 95% of footballers are thick. It’s a logical given. I’d bet my house that his agent (or MFC’s press officer) told him to say that.
    If we REALLY wanted this player – and I’m frankly dubious about that – he’d have come. All footballers are mercenaries, and we could’ve easily given him more money. I can’t think of ANY player willing to move to the north-east of England, cold weather and all, who’d choose MFC or SAFC over us. In this climate, it just couldn’t happen, for monetary reasons alone. Add to that the favourable history we have over our rivals, our cavernous stadium, the chance to link up with Owen…sorry, but these comments just scream ‘BULLS*IT’ to me.
    Degard is merely one more name in a massive list of players I doubt we’ve ever been interested in, along with the likes of Kitson*, Dunne*, Derdiyok* and – I’m sorry to disappoint you – Pablo Aimar*.

I mean, where is this guy gonna live – Darrus Hall or Middlesbrough?

*I don’t want to be too optimistic, but we’re going to bring in players of a FAR higher quality -and transfer fee – than those mentioned. Gutierrez would’ve cost £10 million if he wasn’t thoughtful enough to buy out his own contract, we were willing to outbid ‘Spuds’ for Modric…trust me, there are exciting times ahead. Speaking of Modric, did anyone buy the 442 magazine with Capello on the cover? There’s an interview with Modric, and they grilled him about why he chose Spurs with Barca reportedly interested.

‘Of course, I’m happy with my big fat contract, but Spurs…’

• 59 iceman // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:09 PM

i take it this lad nos nowt about english footie,wait till he gets a lung full of the the boro air.

• 60 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM

how about:
    Evans 6 million
    coloccini 6 million
    bridge 8million
    SWP 8m ? or Young 10 -12million
    inler 6 – 8million
    jonas 3million ?
    Aimar 4 – 6million
    Gomez 15million
    —————————
    I would play zog also as AM/LW
    Geremi a sub for Beye

• 61 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Young?!?!?! Why would he come here.

• 62 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:12 PM

got to disagree tt king kev was asked on football mundial the other day which player in the premier league would you buy if all were available and he said gerrard without a doubt….thats good enough for me…

• 63 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Well im not KK and IMO Joe Cole is more talented, maybe he hasnt shown his true potential becuase he has had a fairn few injuries.

• 64 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:15 PM

aye tt you certainly aint kk lol

• 65 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:16 PM

tom toon if we offered milner and duff for young why not?

• 66 Midjew // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Tom_toon – ARE U JOKING about Gerrard?

He is One of BEST Midfielders in the World!

• 67 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Aston Villa = Top 6 side, european football.

+ Top 4 clubs are interested in Ashley Young.

• 68 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:19 PM

if am honest prawn sarnies collacini would cost alot more than that like kid!!!!

• 69 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM

He is One of BEST Midfielders in the World!
    have to second that…..on his day unplayable chelsea were ready to pay 40 mil for him.

• 70 Midjew // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Would love Young to come here, but TBH dont think it will happen, he is TOO good for us.

He would be good at Liverpool, they need some one like him. Apart from Babel they aint got a Winger, and Young is brill

• 71 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Why would i be joking about him, sure hes pretty damn good but IMO he isnt Englands best cm, Hargreaves is :)

• 72 Hadrian // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM

digard , what a tool . someone not tell him who the best team in the north east are ?
    ahh well , one more person to rip this piss out of when we been the smoggies .

• 73 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM

so tt apart from that NO HARM IN ASKING!
    anyhow what do you lads think of my transfer targets!!

• 74 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:24 PM

prawn sarnies the only one in there i dont care for is bridge i have allways thought he was overated…

• 75 daiv // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:24 PM

We console ourselves because we say he is too dear or is not good enough or some other excuse. The worry is that we have half a squad and cannot sign average players. They choose clubs like Boro or portsmouth over us. Does that not say something about the owner and how far this club has fallen?

• 76 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:26 PM

daiv – i agree but what can we do? I got sick of ranting!!!

• 77 daiv // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:31 PM

I see KK is trying to make the squad the fittest in the league. Just means that Smith and Butt and Geremi will run further at the same slow pace. They still will not be able to catch anybody!!! Once you get older your pace goes and it never returns. Iknow personally!

• 78 Hadrian // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM

all these players are just fillers for me anyway , so we get 8th next season , then what ? more fillers?

• 79 C // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:34 PM

OK. Can this please stop. It’s over one and half month to the deadline. Can we sit here and judge MA and the rest on the first of september instead. Do anyone want to change MA against Fat Freddie. Look where that joke took us. MA brought KK back to us. He’s investing in youth development. He cleared our debts and he got guys in who have got good connections throughtout europe. Does anyone wanna swap that for that ugly prick and his son. They have given us spider-man let’s wait and see what they can give us next.

• 80 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:36 PM

We should get Joe Ledley from Cardiff, he looked handy, CM or LM can score, young ethusiastic, just what we could do with.

• 81 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:43 PM

NUFC do something anything!!!!! we want signings!! and soon!! just so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!

• 82 Lacedaemonian // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:44 PM

Usual fabricated agent bollocks. Newcastle linked with every player going purely to raise wage demands. I used to laugh at Bryan Robson when it seemed he was interested in every single available player. The world is turned to cack and football appears to be the greatest example of this. It used to be the music industry but now it is Sky Sports and tabloid journalism.

I remember when PSG used Newcastle to increase the value of Weah in his transfer to AC Milan. They sold us Ginola on the cheap by way of apology, though in truth he was the most hated man in French football at that time.

It appears we are every clubs/agents bartering tool these days. Glad we did not sign this kid to be honest, I dont recall him playing that well in the games I saw last season though he is only 21.

Inler looks a far better prospect and has played very well at a higher level (better league).

• 83 daiv // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM

c
    Comparing MA with FFS is hardly a ringing endorsement. FFS was the pits and nothing could be worse. Are we supposed to be pleased that we have got something better than the pits?

• 84 Punk Skunk // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:45 PM

So why, when playin’ for england on the left, does joke hole ALWAYS cut in from the left, on to his right foot?..
    …He’s played no more than 2 handfuls of good games since he was at wetspam!..
    …& i actually think he got better under mourinho???..

• 85 micepie // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Don’t forget that we had a desperately long time last summer without signing anyone, everyone feeling more and more restless before we finally got quite a few in. Some would argue they weren’t the players they wanted but despite BSA’s awful time at the Toon I believe he got at least some good ones amongst the misses.

• 86 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:52 PM

The thing is one extreme to another!!!
    FS spent and wasted money MA squeeks!! we need someone inbetween!! who is willing to spend but not through money away!!

• 87 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:52 PM

dont get me wrong joe cole is a good player but he isnt in the same bracket as gerrard,if both players came up for transfer gerrard would cost three times as much as cole…

• 88 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:55 PM

normski – who’s the better player
    Gerrard or Lampard?

• 89 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:57 PM

toughy that like sarnies but if i was offered one or the other i would have to go for gerrard.

• 90 Kash2 // Jul 9, 2008 at 5:58 PM

Gerrard!!!!!!!!

• 91 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:00 PM

just lampard has scored almost twice as many goals than gerrard since both joining the premiership!!

• 92 Midjew // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Goals isnt EVEYRTHING. You cannot say Lampard even compares, Gerrard RUNS liverpool, you could NOT say that about lampard, he just shoots, NOTHING ELSE.

• 93 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:03 PM

aye but gerrard is younger and has had some bad injuries where as lampard played about 100and odd games on the bounce without getting injuries which i suppose is a massive plus for lampard….they are both class tho..

• 94 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Midjew – all I said that lampard scored more goals! thats all! I must agree with you all I also would like Gerrard with lampard as back up?

• 95 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:06 PM

what about this one then sarnies gerrards bird or lampards bird??

• 96 Lacedaemonian // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:10 PM

ZeTom – Good call on Ledley, I thought Everton had signed him. Apparently the deal did not go through.

• 97 Beattie // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:12 PM

I reckon he’s just saying it to suck up to the fans (all 7 of them)

regardless of us, he “turned down” the FA cup holders, who are in europe, and Monaco who play in the city of Monaco, to go to the glitz and glamour of Boro? yeah right

• 98 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Hard one normski, both young sexy women! has to be lampards

• 99 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:14 PM

both expensive???

• 100 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:16 PM

still i would rather have kirsty g like choccy fingers and 3 in abed….mmmmmmmmm

• 101 Richard L // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Hope he enjoys playing in front of all those empty seats then

• 102 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:19 PM

heres a question to all of yous say that lampard was at liverpool and gerrard was at chelsea how do you think both teams would fair????

• 103 Will // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:19 PM

“I like the way they play and I am looking forward to being a part of that” – shame the boro fan’s don’t agree with this statement, based on their attendances. haha

• 104 Midjew // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:19 PM

50m to Spend:

Van Der Vart – 14m
    Gomez – 12m
    Veloso – 12m
    Cueller – 6m
    Bridge – 6m

——————Given——————-
    Beye—–Faye/Taylor–Cueller–Bridge–
    ——–Jonas——-Veloso——N’zog—–
    ——————-Owen———————–
    ——–Gomes————-Martins—-

WOW what a team!!
    NOW THAT would challenge ANY CLUB in the premiership!

• 105 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Chelsea would do worse with Gerrard than Lampard because Lampard scores a lot of goals and they have Ballack and Essien who do the jobs tat Gerrard does at Liverpool.

• 106 Midjew // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:22 PM

If lampard was at liverpool they would be an average Prem Team, as Gerrard keeps them together and i believe most players sign for liverpool because he is there.

And Chelsea would not be any better off, as gerrard would not have as much influence, that is where he shins and that would be taken away.

• 107 The Entertainers // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Not at all disappointed to lose out on this guy and no its not sour grapes.

Firstly he could not get into a struggling PSG team. A team who had a worse league season than us!!!

The lad may have potential, but they are ten a penny out there with potential and its luck and judgment that play equal parts sometimes in player recruitment.

The price seemed a bit steep, but i suppose thats the going rate for a raw recruit these days.

Still plenty more fish in the seas, just hope we are casting our nets!

• 108 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:24 PM

midjew dont mean to piss on ya pastie but veloso 12mil try 20 mil,vdv 14mil try 18/19 if ya lucky,gomez or gomes not sure which one ya talking about but 15mil gomes, 17 mill for gomez….

• 109 toooooon fan // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM

tom toon and daiv need to lighten up and enjoy this great summer sunshine we are having

• 110 Lull // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM

The only player i really hope we sign for now is Inler. Get him sign!!!!

• 111 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:30 PM

haha toooon fan, its been raining 9 hours non-stop where i am.

• 112 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:30 PM

out of all those players If he could afford them and they would come I would have to take Super mario and VDV for 32 mill for both!!

• 113 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:31 PM

tooooon fan what summer sunshine its peeing doon here in gosforth……

• 114 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:32 PM

why gomez did`nt look that hot for the money, can`t you chuck owen up front and fit inVDV?

• 115 toooooon fan // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:32 PM

is that y ur a moody little git then?????

• 116 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:33 PM

us southern fans too would like some sun……………….ok ready for the backlash on that one

• 117 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:33 PM

go back to your restaurant, kk is waiting for you to take his order.

• 118 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:34 PM

sean, i am in cambridge and the weather is dire.

• 119 toooooon fan // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:35 PM

calm down here u go again it is so easy to wind u up

• 120 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:35 PM

although Gomez had a bad Euros he is a fantastic player his stats say it all for his club stuttgard

• 121 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:36 PM

believe me the weather here has been ok today until aboot half 5 then it lashed doon..

• 122 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:38 PM

any hoo good article by the ed…………… have i been sent to coventry again?

• 123 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:38 PM

sarnies how tall is gomez??? hold up player or run in behind??

• 124 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:41 PM

its been hammering it down in devon feels like a week or so, we need sighnings to brighten our day, i`m a loan voice in sea of man u fans down here

• 125 toon4lyf // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:42 PM

buy;ashton,aimar,c zanettie,s inzaghi,collocini
    we badly need ta get rid of viduka,butt,milner,geremi,

• 126 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:43 PM

sean that sounds about right, manure have fans every where but manchester lol

• 127 dougnufc // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:44 PM

This dude is dominating in Hong Kong (Where I am from)

He also scored to help South China beat Juventus in a friendly match

• 128 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:45 PM

but is he worth that cash hps

• 129 Flan // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:45 PM

midjew- good team but VDV on the bench? think that may be a small bit optimistic :-)

• 130 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:46 PM

c zanettie,s inzaghi, who tell all kid???

• 131 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:46 PM

even my daughter lmao

• 132 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:47 PM

toon4lyf?

simone inzaghi?

He is a pathetic excuse for a striker.

• 133 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:48 PM

are you knee deep too toon tom?

• 134 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:49 PM

ashdon anyone?

• 135 toon4lyf // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:51 PM

is emre defianetly gone? hope not

• 136 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:53 PM

my 14 year old manc is now laughing at my middle aged sadness……37 not old god dam it!

• 137 Leo // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:53 PM

its totally different to psg

yes correct paris is a lovely cosmo city where things are lovely.

who in their right mind would swap that for a smog town… well unless he is doubling his bank balanace i cant see it happening

also the bit about newcastle were ‘interested’

he obviously saw news ‘reports’ and then his head was soo big that it wouldnt fit through the door, only to be told by his agent it was not true.

• 138 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:54 PM

they said tey would take him with injury last i heard

• 139 Punk Skunk // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Sean667,
    gutted for ya’ man, i’m in landan & it’s totally pissin’ down here too, all bleeding day, fun!..
    …quite a few manures here, but i’m in goonersville with the odd, whining spud!..
    …Welcome aboard bro’!..

• 140 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:55 PM

sean i think o would far sooner have Pogrebnyak than ashton if am honest..

• 141 toon4lyf // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:56 PM

inzaghi scores he do as a sub for ashton

• 142 Live-FootballOnTV.Com // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Is he actually any good?

• 143 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:57 PM

toon4lyf, simone inzaghi doesnt score though…he is shocking.

• 144 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:57 PM

what do we think of Larrson, were the only ones to have bid …acording to his agent……..mmmm

• 145 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:58 PM

sean667 – he is only 22 and is the best young german player 3 years in a row! he has scored a load of goals and was second highest scorer in the german league Arsenal, and most top clubs are looking at him!!
    yes he is defo worth £15mill

• 146 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 6:58 PM

you may have a point normski

• 147 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:00 PM

ok hps i stand corrected

• 148 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:03 PM

he’s a great replacement for Viduka!! a good hold up player!

• 149 sean667 // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:03 PM

cheers punk skunk gotta go wife wants a massage

• 150 Punk Skunk // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Normski,
    defo let’s have Pogrebnyak!..

• 151 Punk Skunk // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Sean667,Or what ever it’s new name is!?!.. :D

• 152 toon4lyf // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:05 PM

hes decnt

• 153 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:06 PM

good player normski – still would prefer gomez

• 154 fernando // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Walks in laughs at headline. Reads comments and laughs again. Walks out to celebrate the signing of david bentley while thinking how lucky he is to have a decent owner in daniel levy.

• 155 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:09 PM

sarnies Pogrebnyak or gomez i know its a loaded question coz you like gomez but lets think about price and avaliability what do u reckon… price gomez bundasliga or price Pogrebnyak russian league?????

• 156 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:11 PM

seb larrson would be a decent signing at £5 million sean667

• 157 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:13 PM

normski – sorry mate gomez I believe is about 6′ 3″ and would be a good replacement for viduka and is a good hold up player!!

• 158 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:15 PM

fernando walks in slips on the bull shit he talks and walks out thinking they have signed bentley…laughs out lous fernando.

• 159 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:19 PM

yes mate – £8 – 10million for pogrebnyak or £15 million gomez just comes down to goal %s and who would settle quicker!! I do feel we could get either to be honest!!

• 160 fernando // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Runs back in realising he left his coat, sees normskis attempt at a put down and laughs again. Closes the door feeling sory for the geordies and there miserable transfer window.

• 161 ben // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:23 PM

y wud we sign tht guy from china
    a: he can score oals in china but i bet he couldnt do it here
    b: hes 34

• 162 natedawg // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:30 PM

just a reminder for fernando that spurs arent the big exciting club he thinks they are.

• 163 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:30 PM

fernando what makes me laugh more than anything is you spent more time in a newcastle blog than a spurs blog why is that???

• 164 marat18 // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:31 PM

What’s new different, lads?
    still quiet?

• 165 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:32 PM

natedawg – The funniest was Eto’o:

‘They are a mid-table club, i need more’

ahahaha, at least we can accept it, unlike them!

• 166 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:33 PM

36236 capacity no one to talk to…… boo hoo kid….

• 167 natedawg // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:37 PM

yeah it just makes me laugh , they beat us to 2 players one of whom {woodgate} we already had and made a massive profit on, and they think they have already won the league, plus if santos was that good barca would have kept him

• 168 ScottyT // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:39 PM

hahaha wat an eedjiot.. turns down pompey us and monaco in favour of smogland.

gd luck with that thn m8.

• 169 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:39 PM

lets face it dos santos or messi its dos santos all the way for me like….

• 170 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:40 PM

hahaah

• 171 marat18 // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:48 PM

“Didier Digard claims he snubbed Portsmouth, Newcastle United and Monaco to eventually sign for Middlebrough.”

Well, Didier, I claim that I snubbed MU, Chelsea, AC Milan and Real Madrid to eventually sign for Newcastle.

• 172 iceman // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:50 PM

dos santos is big trouble why do you think barca let him go he likes to go out on the lash plus he caused a lot os shite at barca

• 173 natedawg // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:54 PM

that what iam saying the reason big club rejects dont usally work is cause they either arent professional enough, injury, or there egos, very rarely do you get a decent player come through i.e fabregas

• 174 DC Magpie // Jul 9, 2008 at 7:58 PM

tottenham got invited to join G14 right? oh wait that was us

• 175 Punk Skunk // Jul 9, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Bang on DC!..interesting or what?..

…But strangely, neither us the arse or the chavs sent a rep…Why?..

• 176 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 8:05 PM

AC Milan (ITA, )
    FC Barcelona (ESP)
    Liverpool FC (ENG)
    FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)
    Arsenal FC (ENG)
    Real Madrid CF (ESP)
    Chelsea FC (ENG)
    Manchester United FC (ENG)
    Celtic FC (SCO)
    FC Schalke 04 (GER)
    VfB Stuttgart (GER)

PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS)
    Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) H
    S.S. Lazio (ITA) G
    Olympique de Marseille (FRA
    Rangers FC (SCO)
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
    BeÅŸiktaÅŸ JK (TUR)
    Olympiacos CFP (GRE)
    FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
    Fenerbahçe SK (TUR)
    SK Slavia Praha (CZE)
    Rosenborg BK (NOR)
    fernando where is this massive club making massive signings running around europe turning over big teams……oh i forgot champions league whats that ????

• 177 mozza // Jul 9, 2008 at 8:07 PM

am with hps the longer jack sh1t happens the more frustrated a get, a get back in straight to the blog, hoping for good news and its the same frustrating crap, i mean if this is true that means wise and cronies are failing in their task, unless of course theres something big in the pipeline, but am getting sick of saying that ffs

• 178 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 8:11 PM

where is the champions league i thought it was a place maybe a place maybe a myth who knows????

• 179 mozza // Jul 9, 2008 at 8:12 PM

wonder why these muppets come on our blog, must have nowt better to do, a mean there was a pompey fan on today bragging about, their amazing signings saying we’re sh1t, wait for it , after they have anounced they’ve got babayaro on trial, aye a team going places alreet

• 180 mozza // Jul 9, 2008 at 8:14 PM

am of the pop tonight normski, kidneys feel like av been body sparring with an in peak mike tyson

• 181 normski1930z // Jul 9, 2008 at 8:14 PM

spurs thinking about the champions league…… fantasy island …. boss boss its the plane….

• 182 mozza // Jul 9, 2008 at 8:21 PM

oh ffs bairn needs the comp for some homework back in a bit

• 183 ronaldeano // Jul 9, 2008 at 8:28 PM

@Fernando, that link shut you up didnt it!!! :)

@Natedawg, nice one mate

@Fernando, stop wasting your time on here, i will be looking forward to the hammerings we will dish out to your soon to be very skint little club next season. Just like we did last year!

• 184 Lacedaemonian // Jul 9, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Arsenal are my second team ……

• 185 toon army // Jul 9, 2008 at 9:12 PM

the boro are shit always were and always will b why would diguard turn dwn us 4 them

• 186 Ross // Jul 9, 2008 at 9:12 PM

i like how fernando maybe 2,3, now 4 times? has said something along the lines of
    “i’ll be back tomorrow to laugh at you after we’ve signed bentley” or, veloso, or whomever else.
    still none of them through the door. says alot for the yids when he’s having to come on here to entertain himself, no one to talk about your own club with?

• 187 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Jul 9, 2008 at 9:15 PM

must admit I wouldn’t mind Veloso in our team!!

• 188 carling // Jul 9, 2008 at 9:16 PM

boro are shit were b4 and r now, why?would didier pick them other us, bollocks

• 189 Hadji // Jul 9, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Digard will definetly regret for snubbing us,I’m quite sure that if we really wanted him we would have signed him with ease.Heads up guys,he wasnt meant to wear our great colours.

• 190 Jacob // Jul 9, 2008 at 9:30 PM

It was probably the complementary gas mask thrown in that clinched the deal. Couldn’t give two hoots about this one that got away.

• 191 tony // Jul 9, 2008 at 9:41 PM

jealousy – such a bad thing… see , people outside of newcastle dont see yous as this big , all conquering , better than “little boro” club after all. the ladsa got ambition – thats why he came to us

• 192 Hadji // Jul 9, 2008 at 9:41 PM

I’m quite sure he would have said the same about Middlesborough if we signed him.Just remember Spider Man’s coments refering to our club and how delightfull he was for choosing us.
    No wonder PSG was delaying the deal with Middlesborough cause they knew that club’s no good for Digard.

• 193 m. // Jul 9, 2008 at 9:42 PM

WHAT
    A
    PRICK!

maybe he thinks that he ain’t as good as butt, barton(?), geremi, etc.

• 194 Andreas // Jul 9, 2008 at 11:21 PM

not to bothered newcastle neva got him we could do better with £4m such as Torosdis in the same place, and Torosidis is x10 better

• 195 AndyT // Jul 10, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Well from his statement his ambitions are to be challenging for 7th or 8th and having an outside chance of a UEFA spot. Clearly Monaco are above his ambitions. Pompey currently match his ambitions exactly and the players will be looking to push on. Newcastle are below his ambitions, but their aspirations are much higher. Clearly Boro were the club that had the lowest expectations and the least ambitious and competetive players.

• 196 fernando // Jul 10, 2008 at 8:37 AM

maybe newcastle arent as big as the fans like to think. Why else would all these players be snubbing the clob to join other teams.seeing as newcastle pay higher wages there must be another reason.location,ambition,european football,quality of squad, history etc.

• 197 Jose // Jul 10, 2008 at 8:56 AM

Why Didier do that?

• 198 MAG PIE // Jul 10, 2008 at 9:37 AM

fernando wind up alert

• 199 Patrick // Jul 10, 2008 at 9:40 AM

The main point of this entry is…

Middlesbrough says… to stir up Newcastle United’s morale. I’d just take it as a pinch of salt if it’s just some sort of “official announcement” from our rivals.

• 200 fernando // Jul 10, 2008 at 9:48 AM

it wasnt to long ago that boro were in the uefa cup final so i guess they are still well known amongst european players.

• 201 Mavis Beacon // Jul 10, 2008 at 9:56 AM

“but this one is still a difficult one for us to take.”

This is only difficult to accept if you have low standards.
    Digard is injury prone and unexperienced as he himself admits. I suspect he signed for Middlesbrough rather than Newcastle or Pompey so he wont be so high profile should he fail to make the grade.

• 202 beye the great // Jul 10, 2008 at 11:47 AM

we dont pay big wages any more apparentley and its not just hard to believe that he rejected us but also portsmouth and monaco

so fernando y isnt tottenham been chosen in the european elite obviousely cos outside the big 4 europe sees us as the top dogs if you look at tottenhams premiership history they have only ever been close to a champs spot and last year let me guess that was your year to break the dominance right wrong and now you made a couple of big name signings you think youre gonna break the big 4 dominance give me a break spurs i will admit do have a good team but are by no means a big club you are like bolton a couple of years ago punching a bove your weight and 2 or 3 years you will be back in mid table mediocracy or relegation like you should be

• 203 xfer // Jul 10, 2008 at 11:48 AM

“I like the way they play and I am looking forward to being a part of that,”

No disrespect to boro, but that sums up his ambition. I dont see them attacking unless Aliadiere plays. He doesnt make a team.

Nice lad i would like in our team, but since he has turned us now, like he claim, lets move on. There are plenty more out there in the market.

• 204 ! // Jul 10, 2008 at 2:54 PM

tooo bad

previous post: Sidwell Set To Sign For Aston Villa

next post: Are Newcastle Still After Seb Larsson?