Steve Harper Looking Upwards Next Season

Steve Harper thinks that Newcastle United Football Club can have a good season starting in August.

steve-harper-656.jpg

Steve Harper – looking forward to Newcastle having good season

The 33-year-old goalkeeper, who has been at the club 15 years, is out of contract next June, but he hopes to sign a new deal at the club, which would keep him at St James Park probably for the rest of his career.

Steve told the Evening Chronicle:

“Realistically we are looking at the top eight but hopefully it can be the top six.”

“We finished 12th last year. And we’ve got to get back into the top half of the table.”

“It won’t happen overnight. We have to first look to get back in the top six at some stage and then build year on year.”

Harper will have a massive battle with his friend Shay Given, for the goalkeeper jersey next season, and it promises to be a very close battle, with Harper having been in brilliant form over the last 10 games or so of the season.

We’ve put up a new poll asking who will be first choice goalkeeper next season between Shay and Steve.

• natedawg

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:33 PM

i really dunno and i’am not even sure if kk does my if i was to guess i reckon he might prefer harps just get the feeling

• scottish mag

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:35 PM

this is getting confusing

i think u should do a re-launch of the site or something ed this is getting really hard to keep up with

• Tom_Toon

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Harps = 1

• Slam Dunc

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:36 PM

The squads a bit small, we need more players.

News on Joey Barton, he’s not getting out early:

• toonoot

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:37 PM

The banner is lousy. That isn’t SJP and the Ed Harrison’s Blog statement is a bit of a sycophantic ego embarrassment Ed. Please change it back.

• domtoon

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:49 PM

I think the banner’s cool.

And I reckon Harper should be given a run (excuse the pun). Won’t happen though.

• Dan

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Ed Yours is/used to be the best site for an informed educated estimation for what is going on at NUFC. Recently you have been pandering to local British Press. Unfortunatly we have been subject to unqualified nonsence sometimes Copy and pasted from other sites.
    1) the only player we have signed noone knew anythinhg about!
    2) All this nosense about Ashley is because he is a multi v rich man with enemies in the business because they do not like the way he does business, i.e make money (there obviously are peple in the London press trying to devalue his assets)
    3) I fail to belive the Smoggies would sign a player when KK was interested.

Wait and see the transfer window has only been open a while.

The summer transfer window has for ages been the best time to be an fan (unfortunaltly) as we have signed brilliant players. Waut and see

• gloryhunter

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:04 AM

Well said Dan. I think that the site is going down the tube. Sad.

• ObaFan2

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:09 AM

toonoot, wasn’ t really worth saying once let alone twice.

Dan, read the section to your right TRANSFER RUMORS as Ed explains he will cover most of the rubbish printed in the tabloids etc. over the summer “silly” season.

Harps V Shay… close call but Harper had the better season last year for sure but Shay was still suffering from his injury.

• Dan

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:10 AM

I would not go that far we ALL get excited with transfer rumers but I feel a little more prudence would be advisable I.E Amir I love the Stats ED provides

• Dan

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:14 AM

I can’t read every thing. But will should go with Shay every time. But if if was not for him Harper WOULD be england keeper, But we should be thankful, Shay has kept us SO SO many games, with the exception of Schmichal he is the best keeper

• Maggie

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Sorry its off topic – but I thought this was a surprising /interesting quote from Times online! – Ashley, who bought the club 14 months ago for £137 million, also denied rumours that he is a Tottenham Hotspur supporter. “It’s not true,” he said. “I absolutely hate Spurs and always have done.”

• ksmit

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:21 AM

I really don’t understand what you are all complaining about! The banner looks good and Ed has said that he is going to be rotating his banners. If you don’t like the talk about all of the transfers then don’t read them. This site seems to have been designed so that toon fans can get together and chat. Ed has never said that he knows what the club will do and I think that he is just giving us all an opportunity to discuss rumors and facts. If you’re unhappy with the site then don’t browse it. That’s the beauty of the internet… if you don’t want to look then don’t. If you would prefer a site that doesn’t cover all of these rumors then go to nufc.com as they don’t usually cover anywhere close to as many. I personally love this site as I live half way across the world from Newcastle and usually don’t have the chance to hear what other people think. I know that I’m not a regular poster but I am a regular to the site and read every article and most of the comments. Keep up the great work Ed and thank you for your hard work on this site!

• DC Magpie

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:27 AM

ksmit well said

Maggie where’s the link? If that is true, Ashley just shot up in my book and I already liked the guy!

• DC Magpie

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Yes Ed, pay no attention to the haters.

I envy you and hopefully in about 30 years I can follow in your footsteps and start my own NUFC blog, thanks for the inspiration!

• Dan

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:31 AM

ED don’ t get me wrong your coverage of our young players is second to none. And if you don’t
    feature all our transfer (prospective) rumours , you would have very little to talk about otherwise. All I am saying is that, for once we seem to have peopel in place who conduct tranfers the way they should be done rather han spashed all across the back pages.

Bring on ??????????????????????????????????????????

• Maggie

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:33 AM

DC Magpie – sorry haven’t worked out how to link yet – but do a search of MA on Times online – it’s in the report of the intervfiew that’s getting a fair bit of coverage this morning. Maybe he reads our blog after all!

• Tom_Toon

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Dan – If you dont like it you know where to go.

• Leo

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:44 AM

yep tom toon, if you dont like it dan- off you pop

to use a london term- jog on

the whole harper given thing is like opening the preverbial can of worms

i pick harper because i like him more- atleast im honest, but if given is back to his best then i would have to probably take given

• DC Magpie

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:04 AM

Yea Harper has to start the season as number 1 and I wouldn’t bet against him seeking some assurances before signing his new deal.

Shame about Inler, sounds like he wants to stay in Italy.

• Bill F SPLASH MORE CASH ASH

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:04 AM

I would imagine that KK will start the season with Shay. I slightly prefer Steve but there aint much in it. I wouldn’t be too surprised to see either Forster or Krul getting run outs
    pre-season and if they shine whos knows what will happen next.

• Bill F SPLASH MORE CASH ASH

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:07 AM

And Ed ignore the morons, probably non Toon fans trying a wind-up.

• domtoon

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Oh yes. The man IS a legend:

He says alot by saying very little. It’s just his way.

And what are you on about Dan? This site rocks man!

• Tom_Toon

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:13 AM

The man is a ledgend when hes shows us about £20mil net in transfers, not £20mil including sales (so aboot £5mil).

• domtoon

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Trust.

• Hadrian

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:17 AM

what stadium is that in the left of the banner ?

and i wish mike would give a proper bloody interview to the nufc website or something .
    that spurs thing has been used against him for months , and a neat little sentance puts it to bed .
    we have had takeover rumor after takeover rumor , brushed off as ‘absolute nonsense’ , only to find he is interested in selling a share of newcastle .

wish he would treat us like adults and be straight with us for a change , i reckon he’d have a much smoother ride .

• Tom_Toon

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Veltins Arena, my head hurts from saying it so many times 🙂

Ed – Can i ask why you ave the Veltins Arena in your banner?

• Bill F SPLASH MORE CASH ASH

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:25 AM

Tom Toon, I reckon you must be suffering from RCS. Repetative Comment Syndrome. 🙂

Does make you wonder if some people actually read other peoples comments.

• Hadrian

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:32 AM

what stadium is that ? in the left of the banner ?

• reillers

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:35 AM

I don’t know. I think that Harper played good last season, but there’s a reason he’s been kept on the bench by Given. I think we all know that a fully fit Shay is better then a fully fit Harper. I’ve more then a wee bit of a feeling that he’ll start Given. I hope he will Harper’s a good wee lad but I just don’t think that he’s as good as Shay, and I get that he should be rewarded for playing well last season, but like, that was last season.

He’s been working hard all summer while everyone else is on holidays and apart from a wee trip to Donegal towards the end of the season, he’s gone know where. He’s been working really hard, is apparently looking very good and you can tell when you talk to the wee fella that he really, really wants the no.1 spot.

He’s over the injury now, I honestly believe that now, I didn’t before. Now I do. I think he’ll use the Irish games to show us that. He’s worked really, really hard to get back. Harper had a good season last season, and did well like, but that was last season and I get why a lot of ye want him to start over Given, because ye think that if he plays and plays well, then he might get a go at the English no.1 spot and then..happy days, and I know if there’s not much between to keepers and it’s a choice of if ye’d rather the English no.1 or the Irish no.1, there’s no doubt who ye’d pick and I get that but, and that’s probably why ye’d all pick him and not to mention the fact that he’s a Geordie, which is understandable I suppose, but to be honest, I don’t think any player should be picked on last season form. It’s now, who’s best now, who’s faster, stronger, sharper..etc, not on who did what last season and so on. Like I’m a wee bit biased myself but I honestly believe that best form against best form, keeper against keeper, Given is better then Harper. In my opinion anyway.

• ObaFan2

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Great piece with quotes from MA, I know we think he’s ours but he does have other business interests and that’ll be why he’s been interviewed elsewhere I suppose.

Would be good to get an exclusive sometime though….. 🙂

• Spyro

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:45 AM

as i said when the news first broke, the Inler stories were bulls**t!

• Bill F SPLASH MORE CASH ASH

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:46 AM

Good night Hadrian. 😉

• ObaFan2

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:49 AM

Not sure Hadrian, don’t look like SJP.

• Spyro

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:49 AM

i would love to see what stories came out if this site stopped running, i really do believe half of the stoires are made up when journo’s come on this site and read peoples comments.

• domtoon

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Language!!

• DC Magpie

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:04 AM

hope ur joking obafan2

RCS, heard that one before
    Bill F SPLASH MORE CASH ASH 😉

• DC Magpie

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:07 AM

reillers you make a good point but its hard for a bit of sentiment not to seep in as Harper has been such a great servant over the years but based purely on ability a super fit shay gets it every time

• micepie

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:15 AM

It’s all doom at the moment because we may have limited funds for transfers. But isn’t that part of the challenge, to find gems for very little (a-la-Wenger, for example?). Not easy but it can be done, and we have a big enough recruitment/soouting team…

• Sav

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:16 AM

Perhaps Ashley is talking down expectations by the likes of Owen, Willie McKay and prospective signings and their mendacious, grasping clubs.
    Ed, – don’t mind the few knuckle-draggers your excellent site attracts.