The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ashley Feels Sorry For Newcastle Fans

10:35 pm, Friday, July 11th, 2008 by Ed Harrison · 81 Comments

For the third time this week, Mike Ashley has spoken to the press, this time to the Guardian.

mike-ashley-6893.jpg

Mike Ashley – gave interview to the Guardian

Mike denied a story from last week, that he had tried to sell Newcastle for £420M to the American private equity firm – InterMedia Partners.

Mike told the Guardian:

“There is absolutely no truth in that at all. It is absolutely bullshit.”

Mike Ashley, as we reported earlier, said he was looking for investment partners for the club, to lift his own financial load, and he was asked if that could be some Newcastle businessmen.

Mike continued:

“It would be quite nice, be quite nice for the fans and everything else if we can get one or two partners in Newcastle United who are from Newcastle.”

“So that’s what we will try and do,”

Asked what percentage of the club he was looking to sell, Mike replied:

“I would be quite happy to sell 1%. Just local guys, mad Newcastle fans and everything.”

“I meet them and they say the only thing we regret is when you took the club, we then couldn’t be a shareholder.”

“If you want 1% of Newcastle, buy 1% of Newcastle for exactly the same price I paid for it.” “

“You can put in your money every year like I do, sit on the pitch and say this is one expensive season ticket, but I am having a lovely time.”

“Newcastle United is not a thing you would make a profit on,”  “Newcastle United is a thing you have to enjoy and love and enjoy going to the games and everything else.”

“It would be very useful if we had some multi-billionaire partners that wanted a stake in Newcastle United. It would help.”

Ashley would also welcome fans who wanted to invest in the club as a group, and buy a stake, no matter how small, but that he had not yet held any formal talks with investors.

Ashley went on:

“It would be quite nice if we were able to do something. It’s good for Newcastle, for everybody to get together behind it.”

Ashley said he wasn’t too upset by the media attention he has been getting since he bought the Tyneside club, but did say he sometimes felt sorry for the Geordie fans.

“It is upsetting for them to read these things; they read I am a mad Spurs fan and this sort of thing.”

“And of course it is not true – I absolutely hate Spurs. I always have done.”

Mike seems to be saying the gossip press puts out news which has no foundation in fact?  :D

Well – he’s right there, and that’s a good interview from Mike, and it would be good if he can loosen up with the press, and let us know more of what he’s thinking.

But that’s a good interview from the owner, and hopefully will settle down our fans a little bit.

Tags: Newcastle News

81 responses so far ↓

• 1 51times // Jul 11, 2008 at 10:38 PM

I hate Spurs too, Mike. In fact, who likes Spurs except Spurs fans?

• 2 ToonKing // Jul 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Good words from Mike…..but he seems desperate to get some help in, looks like he doesn’t have the money to do what he planned but thankfully he is trying to make us better.

2 good signings so far let’s hope more will follow and that we can keep improving.

• 3 AndyT // Jul 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM

I dont have a spare million to buy 1%, but if he’s serious about the fan group investment, hell I’m in.

• 4 gordond // Jul 11, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Better tell Mike to watch his language ED incase he gets barred from yor site.RE: Bullsh*t. ha ha

• 5 ToonKing // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:04 PM

ok, never thought about being a shereholder but how much does a share cost ??

• 6 il capitano // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:05 PM

“And of course it is not true – I absolutely hate Spurs. I always have done.”

HAHAHA.. funny words from Mike Ashley.. Two good signings and more to come, i believe in the structural things Mike Ashley is doing, now let`s get behind this club an every single person around it!
    Howay The Lads!

• 7 Tom_Toon // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:08 PM

ToonKing we aint a plc so if you want to buy 1% you have to raise £1.38mil.

• 8 catawbamag // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Its good he finally came out and laid down the law. The sale of the club was a monthly news story. I think Ashley had sold the club 7 or 8 times over his tenure here, if you listen to the press.

I hope he communicates more with the fans. Seems like a straight shooter.

• 9 George H // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Lets see how much Mike wants Newcastle United to be a successful club or is it just another invester playing the premier league manopoly game like many Newcastle fans of the Eighties when I was getting soaked in the gallowgate end paying £4.00 to stand not £620 plus a season.

• 10 ToonKing // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:12 PM

£1.38mil……hmmm…so how much divident would that pay me…….??

ahhh who am i kidding…….

• 11 Cloudstrife // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:20 PM

i hate Spurs too Mike!

• 12 Mac // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Tom Toon i know it’s not signing we wanted but i must admit i am quite happy with Guthrie. It’s about improving our squad and imust admit he’s better that anything we’ve got at the minute

• 13 Tom_Toon // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:27 PM

So am I, especially at £2mil, we still need anoher 2 cms though.

Lets hope for Inler and one of Larsson/Sjkelbred/Ledley. :)

• 14 Mac // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Inler and Aimar for me Tom

• 15 Cloudstrife // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:37 PM

i’d take Inler and Larsson. Larsson would probabaly be at a good price like Guthrie. then we get another Lb and i thnk we’re good for the season. any cut price ideas?

• 16 Mac // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:42 PM

I must admit i am troubled by defenders i jsut don’t know who to gofor. I don’t think our defence is that bad,last season our midfield was our main problem

• 17 Tom_Toon // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:43 PM

We need a centre back (Coloccini) and a backup full back who can play both sides (maybe Torosidis)

• 18 Hadrian // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:43 PM

pretty comical from mike really .
    asking for 1% investments as good as asking for donations , wouldnt even cover wiseys salary for a year .
    quick to point out to not expect a return on it .

does this mean mike is going to let the club run on an even book ?
    as last year the club made a few million quid , hardly not something you make money on .

strange , just really strange .

• 19 Patrick // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Nicky Shorey and Paul Konchesky are the ones always mentioned for LB; however, can Benny Tozer get a chance, please? :D

• 20 Patrick // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Hadrian, I think that is just a message from MA telling us to get more involved and he really doesn’t need any partners in urgent.

More likely, it’s “join us if you want to achieve something with us Toons.” It’s not hurting.

I noticed one thing that MA is not good in public speaking. :P

• 21 Mac // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Tom i don’t often dissagree with you but i’m just not sure on Coloccini. i don’t think he’s prem material

• 22 Midjew // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:49 PM

The QPR thing seems to work, a couple of REALLY rich guys, so only half the cost of everything.

So lets hope we get some money spending MAD Geordie Fan who is willing to pump in a whole load of money to help out with the Van Der Vart bid :-)

• 23 Cloudstrife // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:50 PM

the problem with using Tozer is that we’d have two inexperienced LBs. he’ll get his chance. but i say get Shorey in and let Enrique have some healthy competition. this Torosidis guy is also quite highly rated though i’ve never seen him play.

for CB we should take a punt at Samba.

• 24 Mac // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Yeah i must admit i do like Samba

• 25 Tom_Toon // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Mac – He PERM material ;)

No, Coloccini is awesome, far better than immobile Samba.

• 26 ObaFan2 // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:54 PM

So many people have been calling for MA to let us know his intentions and I think he’s finally began to do it.

He is actively looking for LOCAL investors…. good news I think.

DO NOT believe the rubbish in the press.

Remember he was known as a recluse before he bought NUFC and now he’s seen partying with Toon fans and having a laugh and now 3 interviews in 1 week…… what a change.

We seem to be on a budget and buying some younger players but in the long run that’s not such a bad thing, in a few years these youngsters will be running circles around many teams in the EPL. KK will do the best he can with what he has and what he can find on the money he has available.

But plz don’t sell Oba…We can get some cash selling a few others instead.

• 27 Patrick // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:56 PM

ObaFan2, the most important keyword here is “LOCAL.” Thank you. :D

• 28 Seymour Butts // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:57 PM

lmao @ gordond good one mate crackin joke was thinking that myself haha

• 29 Mac // Jul 11, 2008 at 11:58 PM

Tom i’m not doubting he’s good i’m just not sure he’s good enough. I think our defence will be much improved next season as long as we strengthen out mid field. I do think we have money to spend i just do’t think every signing is gonna be a huge 1. Signings like Guthrie are exactly what we need to improve our squad. Believe me when i say there will be 2 or 3 quality signings

• 30 Tom_Toon // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Coloccini is good enough for a top 4 club, he is awesome and can actually pass and dribble out of defence.

• 31 Patrick // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Depending on the price, maybe Wayne Bridge worths a shot for LB.

For CB, if Jonny Evans’ available.. why not? I am just thinking if there are more young and ambitious players we haven’t spotted.

• 32 Patrick // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Tom Toon, would the capture of Jonas help this deal u think?

• 33 ObaFan2 // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Patrick, wish I had a couple o’ million spare but a bit strapped at the minute :)

• 34 Tom_Toon // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Wayne Bridge probably wont leave Chelsea, he’ll sit on the bench earning his fat wage.

• 35 AndyT // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Toon King – I think Mike was implying you have to live up to what is expected of him. 1.3 million to get 1%, and you stump up 1% of the cash that he has to put in every year. No dividend, you pay more and more every year.
    So if he has to stump up say 2 million for guthrie, you’d have to pay twenty grand. If the club needs a 50 million kitty – you need to find five hundred grand.

• 36 Tom_Toon // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:04 AM

No idea Patrick, id say it gives us an advantage over clubs without an argentinian.

• 37 Cloudstrife // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:04 AM

gotta admit, Samba’s a bit stiff. but so’s Sol Campbell even in his prime, and i’d have him at Newcastle even today. stiff can be made up for in other areas as a CB. havent seen that much of Collocini, but he comes off as a poor man’s Puyol.

• 38 Punk Skunk // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:04 AM

TT, i’m totally with your picks, specially: Inler, Larrson, Derdiyok & Torosidis, just ain’t seen Coloccini enough to judge, but i reckon you know what ya’ talkin’ about!..& they seem like KK type signings!..

• 39 Mac // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:06 AM

I agree Bridge is not interested in playing football,if he was he would have left Chelsea years ago. he just wants money pure and simple. I’m afraid we’ll have to agree to dissagree on Coloccini Tom i just don’t think he’d cut it in the Prem

• 40 Andrew Whitaker // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:07 AM

Great interview yet again Mike! people who listen to the press so much are insane. lets just get on with supporting the club.

• 41 ObaFan2 // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:07 AM

I still think with the possible wage cap and huge revenue now mainly with tv rights we should remain profitable after a few years of wise investment. (hate using the word wise though !)

• 42 AndyT // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Has anyone seen Kadar at left back – his bio says equally comfortable at CB or LB

• 43 Patrick // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Actually, I am always messing up with Kadar and Tozer (I think you are actually talking about Tozer, Andy?). For some strange unknown reason, they seem like twins to me. *kidding* But certainly they are similar in player types.

• 44 Tom_Toon // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Except Kadar is better, younger and almost a full internaional.

• 45 Patrick // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Hey guys, I do agree with the Wayne Bridge situation unless he is asking for a move sooner or later, or NOW. He hasn’t done anything recently. Still, he’s one of the few “good” leftbacks of England (don’t know what Capello thinks, so actually I am just pointing my finger to McClaren).

what a shame.

It’s time for Chelski to buy Duff back to replace him. (no joke, as an emergency LB, Duff is better than Bridge)

• 46 Patrick // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:17 AM

TT, it’s right I guess. Anyway, I will be very happy to see Kadar showing up in some PL games this year.

• 47 Warwick Hunt // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Excellent words from Mike.
    It really annoys me when I read on here that he is tight and won’t spend, he is looking at the long term for our beloved team. It would be easy for him to chuck a load of money at big name players to appease these fans. Some even question him as business man, and lets face it football is a business these days, when he has an unquestionable ability to make money.
    He has (or had cos he may have spent a bit) £1.8 Billion in the Bank, not including shares he has.
    £1.8 Billion???? or £1,800,000,000.00p???? or 1,800 Million pounds???? The bloke is abosolutely minted and yet he goes to matches in the stands, wearing his colours with the rest of the Fans.
    Kevin Keegan maybe the Messiah but this Guy was our Savior after the last regime we had.
    Have faith and shame on you doubters.

• 48 Patrick // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Warwick, I agree that MA is going to fight with us with what he has.

• 49 lacedaemonian // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:28 AM

We have a few kids who will be knocking at the first team door next year, who could cover if needed. We not playing in Europe or likely to win any cups so there is no harm in giving them some experience. Inler and Larsson would be great signings.

I aint seen much of Coloccini since Milan loaned him to A. Madrid and a few games when he played for Deportivo. He seemed great at Deportivo though they played him at right back I thinks.

• 50 gordond // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Well said Warwick Hunt maybe you could be one of the investors he’s looking for i can give you £100 to get started as i’m going on holiday next week and thats all i can afford

• 51 Warwick Hunt // Jul 12, 2008 at 1:09 AM

@GordonD
    HAHAHA Yeah would be nice.
    Actually, if every one of the 52,000 fans that goes to the Catherdral, that is SJP, donated £100 we would end up with £5.2 Million, which could buy the 1% and have a bit spare for investment. Not such a bad idea really, we could even have people going round with donation dishes at half time like they do in Churches.
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM??????????????
    P.S. Hope you enjoy your Hols, anywhere nice?

• 52 Mitch H // Jul 12, 2008 at 1:31 AM

I notice all the Mike Ashley detractors have vanished tonight?

If i was him & i’d read some of the hateful bile spouted by some of our regular posters (you know who you are) I’d have thrown in the towel & taken my cash elsewhere.

He’s spending his own money, 250 mil & counting, on our club?

Whereas the last gadgy spent the clubs money (badly in most cases) & lined his own pockets in the process.

Really guys, its time for us to get behind the team, the manager, & our owner.

Lets lift the SJP roof off this season, its effect on the players will give us that slight edge & we can start climing the league. If we can get some home monentum going early in the season, its gonna really help us push on up the table.

Top 6 this season? probably not, but 2-3 seasons down the line, we can make europe, & then, with a bit of luck, start pushing to get into those coverted champions league spots.

Mike Ashley’s the boy i’m telling ya, so lets all give the lad some well deserved credit. I’m convinced he’s in this for all the right reasons!

How’ay the Lads.

• 53 ObaFan2 // Jul 12, 2008 at 1:51 AM

Right behind ya Mitch :)

• 54 Piers // Jul 12, 2008 at 2:49 AM

Hey Ed or anyone else who can help

I’m going to college next year…and like a few of the people on this site i’m American. Last year i watched all the football games at home on our Tv. However this upcoming year at college i will need to watch all the games online. I’m willing to pay and i have checked out the nufctv link on the website but I’m not sure if it streams the games live? Any suggestions?

• 55 Yorkie Dave // Jul 12, 2008 at 3:00 AM

The question is how many of us on here would realistically get together and invest to buy 1% of the club. id be happy to stump up some cash. if we got 20000 to give £100 thats £2mill. which gets us on board and probly covers us for a year or two to stay on board. Or 4000 of us stumping up £500 which essentially is best part of a season ticket!!! I for one would be well up for this. Email me at
    buysomeofthetoon@live.co.uk
    if you are seriously wanting to do this and tell your friends and family about this we should start a movement and get this going!!!!

• 56 ulysses // Jul 12, 2008 at 3:42 AM

hey piers, im from the states, too, and am also going to college next year. if you cant catch the full games anywhere, then theres always footytube.com which i use for highlights.

and MA and KK are definitely gonna bring this club back up to the top! well… maybe not this season, but within the next few seasons or so. thats definitely their strategy for improving the club. so i guess we have to wait until then. as long as we beat the spurs, though, i’ll be happy

• 57 shirts // Jul 12, 2008 at 4:08 AM

Why limit it to the 1%? Ideally, the fans should own the club. Isn’t this the arrangement at Barcelona and other clubs? I love the idea…

• 58 autibo // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:04 AM

squad seems to be slowly but surely taking shape nicely…

gk – given, harper, krul

rb – beye (geremi, taylor) – COVER NEEDED

lb – enrique – COVER NEEDED

cb – faye, taylor, cacapa – BETTER OPTION NEEDED TO PARTNER TAYLOR / FAYE

cm – geremi, butt, guthrie, barton – PACE, POWER, HEIGHT & FLAIR NEEDED!!!

lm – zog (duff)

rm – jonas, milner

fc – owen, oba, viduka (carroll) – VIDUKA REPLACEMENT NEEDED

options :
    full-back cover – torosidis £4m, shorey £3m, anyukov £5m…

quality cb – coloccini £7m, samba £5m, kompany £8m, sakho (psg) £6m

cm – denisov £6m, zyryanov £5m, mbia £5m, cana £6m, afellay £6m, aimar £4m

fc – pogrebnyak £5m, pavlyuchenko £8m, derdiyok £4m

…i’d be happy with any 4 of these players!!

• 59 Graham // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:09 AM

This is a great interview from Ashley. And I tottally agree with Mitch H. Mike has spent £250m or so from his own back pocket for the club – He hasn’t put loans in place guaranteed by the club. Man Utd owe over £100m in interest alone thanks to the Glazers. And i’m sure that Chelsea post losses every single year too.

This bloke saved us from administration as i have said before. He is much as a messaih as Keegan.

He’s looking for business partners, sponsers etc to inject more cash in the club. I think the futures rosey with Ashley at the helm

• 60 Ian // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Like the honest open talking, it is a lot better than the last few months of silence.

I also like the idea of fans buying in to the club.

However at the moment it is a case of how are we going to fare this following season?

Realistically we need either one big investor in quickly to get the squad up to size, I hope there are a few out there who take the opportunity to buy a share, they dont come round often like this.

• 61 AndyT // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:15 AM

I was going off this as Kadar being potential left back cover.
    I know wiki can be innacurate though – thats why I was asking if anyone has seen him play there.

• 62 AndyT // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:20 AM

Realistically if we put in a £15Million bid for modric, paid 2Million for Guthrie and expect to pay 4 Million for Jonas and expect to get 4 Million for Emre that would imply that there is at least £13 million available. Does any one else think the problem might be in convincing the better players that Newcastle is the place for them without having to resort to ludicrous contract terms, rather than lacking the funds to buy them?

• 63 The Entertainers // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:21 AM

To be honest i’m more interested in potential partners of Ashley, particularly ones who happen to be billionaires.

All the talk of offering fans 1% is not going to help our current position, its a good PR call and massages the egos of some fans, who may believe they are part of the club.

However i pay a handsome price in tickets, shirts etc and dont believe i have to justify my loyalty by buying shares too.

Stick to finding some investment Ashley and give Keegan the chance he deserves and something the fans can get excited about.

Then you will appease all fans and that would be your greatest PR trick.

• 64 Ian // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Agree with the Entertainers 100% we need at least one big investor, it doesnt matter who they are but preferably Newcastle Fans.

To the people who persist in saying some fans are anti Ashley, I havent seen anyone who is at all, all I have seen are a few people, me included, who thought things werent going the way we expected and it turns out to be the case.

There is a big difference between hating someone and thinking that something is wrong at the club, stop twisting what people say, everything doesnt have to be for or against.

Let us hope that one or two big investors jump in quickly and we can strengthen the squad enough to stay up next season, I think that is the best we can hope for and if keegan can pull that little extra who knows.

Really pleased about Ashley’s new found outspoken honesty that will see him very popular with the fans.

• 65 sean667 // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:43 AM

it`s nice that he has finnally talked and sayin the right things…BUT WE STILL NEED QUALITY SIGNINGS,sorry for shouting hps…but transfer activity has left me underwellmed.

• 66 sean667 // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:46 AM

christ autibo you have been busy

• 67 WIGAZ // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Hey if he wants investors how about some geordie celebs like ant & dec! they must have a few £ & showbiz pals who i’m sure would like to invest! geordies on the board! cant be bad!

• 68 Ian // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:53 AM

I think we are now looking at staying in the premiership and not moving up much at all next season, we dont have too bad a side, we need to secure Martins and Owen, I would sell Carroll if possible and bring in an reliable old timer either Sibieski or Roberts in case of another injury.

Even with the same side we would be better next season under keegan, maybe the following year we can afford to invest a little.

• 69 The Entertainers // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Dont be too disappointed with the transfers.
    The two we have in so far may well be here because of circutances. The Argie bought out his contract and we swooped fast as there was other competion. As for Guthrie, we apparently made early enquiries and only on Thursday Megson was quoted as saying he will persue Guthrie, so once again we swooped before another club did.

The big transfers always take longer and i’m sure Wise and co have made there intentions know to certain clubs for players. This may have stopped short of a bid, but i’m sure we’re still in the fight.

The only clubs to have made ‘big’ transfers are:
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Bolton
    Man C
    Portsmouth
    Spurs
    These are the only clubs to have spent over 10 million on one player.

Well over half the league have kept there powder dry as to date.

• 70 ChrisP // Jul 12, 2008 at 9:56 AM

oi guys can we start a patition to get tom toon in to a recruitment job at newcastle, i read this blog and comments most days to see the new rumours and that sort of thing and tom toon seems to know everything about all the players and seems to know his stuff about everything!

• 71 Ian // Jul 12, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Entertainers it looks like the first signing was a Nzogbia replacement it looks as if he is going, so Guthrie is a real addition.

I will be ok if we have Martins secured, would like to see him offered the bonus system as Owen too, ie get rid of his buyout clause, pay him £5k per week more and if he scores over 14 goals in the season have bonuses take him up over the 90K for each extra goal he scores, have monthly targets and monthly bonuses.

We would be better next season anyhow even with the same team under keegan, maybe the recession will lift next year and Ashley may feel like spending some more money in the club.

• 72 dingo // Jul 12, 2008 at 10:47 AM

fernando… where are you? :p

• 73 Ben_BKK // Jul 12, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Autibo – I notice you didn’t include Smith in your list of our current players, in any position :P

• 74 autibo // Jul 12, 2008 at 11:09 AM

BEN_BKK

any idea why that may be mate?? must’ve slipped my mind :-)

working overtime so got nowt better to do :-)

• 75 Ever seen a mackem in Milan? // Jul 12, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Mike Ashley is a funny guy. Next week his hatred of the mackems :D

• 76 Glenn // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:17 PM

This is what’s needed, the negative stories in the press are purely down to journalists in the huff coz the club tells them nowt! What Ashley needs to do is to talk to the press more like this, not spout b*****ks every day like Shepherd, but just give them something now and then to prevent the rubbish they’ve spent the past year writing. I’m afraid dealing with the press is a necessary evil, I haven’t bought a single national paper since January, I got fed up with the lies, the passing off as gossip as fact, it makes you think if they way they wrote about NUFC and its supporters is anything to go by how many other lies and rubbish do they write about other things?

• 77 Hertz // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM

”I absolutely hate Spurs. I always have done.”
    best quote so far from MA
    cheers!
    but do something to show us that u really HATE them Mike :)

• 78 clinta // Jul 12, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Ashley kind of comes across though as a man who wishes he didn’t put such a large stake of his earnings into our club? but hey who can blame him!

• 79 Leo // Jul 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM

he swore haha legend mike ashley is slowly winning all the fans over…. comments like this make me happy

shows he is a decent bloke because he could expect its current value but because he wants someone else to invest some money into the club he does this, meaning better for the toon

• 80 chuck // Jul 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM

If Mike Ashley bit off more than he can chew by taking the club private, he can allways reverse the proceedure by putting it back on the market , yet keeping control as the major shareholder, thereby giving the the geordie faithfull (and others) a meaningfull part ownership in the club,plus the desiredcash infusion .
    As far as urging the club to buy players like Coloccini etc. Have`nt you got it yet, its going to be the Guthries, Bassongs and other mediocrities and unknowns , certainly no one over£5m.
    Feel sorry for KK, got a tough way to go.

• 81 beye the great // Jul 12, 2008 at 3:45 PM

i did not no kadar was on loan at norwich

previous post: Guthrie Becomes Newcastle’s Second Signing