Newcastle Offer Trial To Sebastien Bassong

The Times is reporting today that Newcastle United are interested in Metz defender Sebastien Bassong.

sebastien-bassong-_1005690.jpg

Sebastien Bassong – turned 22 just last Wednesday

Newcastle have offered the 22 year old a trial at the club, after the Metz defender turned down a move to Dynamo Bucharest recently.

Bassong has just a year left on his contract, and if Newcastle are impressed by what they see, the club could probably get a decent deal for the player, who has already played over 75 times for the French club.

The youngster has been linked with Everton, Blackburn and Aston Villa previously, but it looks like Newcastle have stolen a march on those clubs.

He is a French Under-21 International and Everton were said just last week, to be trying to strike a deal for £2M for the player, since Metz may lose him for nothing next summer.

Bassong stands just under 6’2″ tall, was born in Paris, and is of French-Cameroon descent.

Last week the French player had talked to the press about a potential move (before Newcastle’s interest) and claimed that Everton, Hamburg and Wolfsburg have approached him :

“I have approaches from Germany and in England,” “To me the reality is that there are more contacts abroad than in France.”

“There is Everton in the Premier League as well as Wolfsburg and Hamburg in the Bundesliga. But it’s only touches; I’m waiting to see what’s going to happen in the future.”

“I don’t want to leave just to leave. I’m waiting for a real project. There’s no hurry but I want to leave, to see something elsewhere, but I still have time. There’s no emergency. Negotiations are just starting.”

We like the idea of the club giving young players a trial like this, because it decreases the chances of making a mistake, of bringing in a player who isn’t good enough, and we’ve done that far too many times in the past.

• Collin

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Agreed with you on the trial. Which side he plays?

• toonfan1

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM

i havent heard of him? a cb, rb or lb?

• Hammy

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:37 AM

I hope we don’t pick up any injuries in pre-season or we will be shafted, sorry I mean “in deep trouble”….

• Punk Skunk

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:42 AM

What’s this guy like?..
    …You can’t make a song purely outta Bass!.. 😀

• Davies

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Nice to steal a March on Everton. Moyes has shown a very good eye for a bargain and done very good things with the players he’s bought.

Let’s hope that this lad is good enough and we can get him signed.

• Davies

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Nice one Punk Skunk, like it.

• tommyy

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:44 AM

This sucks, we have got one player in. I would have thought at least two by now?

• Derdi4Toon

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:45 AM

really dunno him. but if Everton and Hamburg are really after him he must be at least a decent defender. maybe Moyes sees him as the young Yobo or Lescott or Jagielka. Hamburg seems doing well with young defenders like Kompany too arent they? any of the four names above can no doubt improve our back4. if he’s the same class lets hope he’s coming …

• dick

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:46 AM

with all these big names coming to the toon does anybody know how the season ticket sales are going

• Punk Skunk

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:47 AM

@ Davies… My little joke!.. 😀

• NE1

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Oh no…

A french defender whose surname starts with a B and ends in a SONG… : /

• THELONGSHANKS

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I really hope we sign someone this week. inler, shorey,deriyodok and top defender pls.

• Davies

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Don’t know how reliable the information is (I read it on NU Mad) but apparently Larsson has now told the Birmingham management that he wants out.

Let’s hope we’re ready to beef up that offer, or he’ll be playing at Blackburn.

• Robert from Serbia

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:51 AM

lol, Punk Skunk 😀 😀 😀 😀

• AndyNUFC

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:55 AM

I’m really not convinced by this at all… We have just signed Taylor on a new contract, have Faye and Cacapa who are getting past it, and Edgar waiting to break in next, with Kadar even further down the pecking order. What good would bringing an inexperienced defender do? We may aswell stick with Taylor/Edgar/Kadar. Come on Wise/Keegan/Ashley, we need some first teamers! Despite my absolute pessimism, I would still get him if he’s worth it… Could be a better idea than Taylor.

• AndyNUFC

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Is it really just me who isn’t excited about this apparent Larsson bid?… I was hoping maybe we’d do better… Admittedly I haven’t studied what he’s like too much, but do people think his passing is worthy of our first team or can improve? Somebody sell him to me, cause I just can’t get excited about him at the moment!

• Luke

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:58 AM

As reported by SkySports:

N’Zogbia told France Football: “At the end of last season I didn’t play a lot, so that has given me desire to play somewhere else. When I will talk with the coach it will be clearer. My priority is to play.

“I have dreamt about Arsenal since I was kid. I would be delighted to join the Gunners. It is a famous team that has big coverage in France. But Tottenham is exciting too.

“I have never played in Ligue 1. That could be an experience in my career. But frankly, it is not my current priority. I am playing in one of the best leagues in the world. And I feel a little like at home here.”

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie…

• John

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:00 AM

What an idiot..Get rid

• Will Camp

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM

according to the games bassong played for metz he’s a centre back

• AndyNUFC

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM

I’ll tell you what I don’t feel a bit of resent towards the kid for what he said. He actually said “my priority is to play”… something he few and far between did last season, and was used in an ineffective position last season. Can’t blame him for having thoughts of Arsenal when you think of their huge french connection, little bit put off with his comment of Tottenham although i’m safe in the knowledge Tottenham neither want nor need him so wont bid for him.

• HonoraryGeordie

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Hold on, isn’t that N’Zog quote a direct rip off of the supposed Martin’s quote earlier this week?? I don’t know, but I suspect the Southerners have got that big spoon stirring that gooey brown stuff again!

• sirjasontoon

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Why don’t we just buy some decent players instead of messing around this is doing my head in.

The activity in this window is shocking and all this spin coming out about how the players are now sky high is nonsense.

If i was a toon player i would be dreading next season.

I don’t know who this bargain basement player is and to be honest i don’t really care who he is, he is a nobody.

• HonoraryGeordie

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM

And on Bass-song, good one Punk Skunk, if he impresses on trial then sign him up!
    this might be controversial, and I don’t fully mean it (its more theoretical, ignoring my biases!) but in reality we need to replace Faye and Beye with young quality players as soon as possible. We are building a young team for the future, so would it not be an idea to put a team in place that could grow together and have long term success?
    Forster
    Onuoha Kadar Taylor Enrique
    Lua-Lua Milner N’zog Danquah
    Martins Carroll

I’m not seriously suggesting that that should be our team, but from everything that Keegan and Ashley have said, maybe we should get a really young back four that can learn together, are cheaper, and who are desperate to prove themselves? Just an idea

• Ashton

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM

N’zogbia is a typical french scumbag get rid there is no point in keeping an unhappy players

• Luke

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Nasri for Hleb — great bit of Business. Crouch linking up with Defoe — exciting times for Portsmouth. Newcastle linked with a series of nobodies. Priceless

All seriousness I’m just grumpy. Desperate to get a few bodies in the door. The terrifying thing is we need about 8 or 9 and at this rate it doesn’t look all that likely.

• THELONGSHANKS

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

metz defender seems to be a squad player signing incase we dont get in a top class defender.tozer,kadar and edgar are good prospects but Bassong is 22 and has more experience.In my opinion luque was bought because we couldnt get owen.

On larrson i think he is a great young player who could be a good attacking midlfielder as we already have two very good right wingers.He is definately more realistic signing for a team not in europe and i agree with poaching off relegated teams.laarson,zarate,hunt,shorey etc.

• The Entertainers

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Like the idea of trials to.

You dont hear of many these days, as players egos get in the way.

But this lad appears to put his talent on show and swallow a bit of pride to secure a move. Now thats commitment……….could show Zog a thing or two, the bloody prima dona!

• Mikey24

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Its media stirring it! Probably a 2hr interview where they dont say what they asked but select juicy quotes! I say get this lad! Use Cacapa/Fayes experience on Tayls and him and we’ll have 2 mighty fine CBs! Plus we seriously need to strengthen the squad size, a few injuries and were gonna plummet!

• tam toon

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Zog did not play at the back end because of his stinking attitude! Fat Sam played him out of position initially yes, but the key is he did not play much he says.
    He wants to play for us 1 week and not the next, he has done this for ages beleive me he is trouble. He is not liked, he is an excellent player, which makes it worse. Most clubs will have his profile and will not touch him. This means a player worth 8- 10 mill will go for 4-5 mill. GET SHOT !

• tam toon

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:36 AM

NE 1 & punk skunk-Class!

• Tom_Toon

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Heard of this lads, hes a CB, never seen him play though.

• AndyT

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:05 PM

HonoraryGeordie, I’d maybe have Tozer in for Taylor and Zambrela in for Martins, and then use that as the team in the League cup, like Wenger did. Give them experience against decent teams with very little pressure and see if they can pull it out of the bag. I doubt it will happen, but it would be interesting to see it tired for at least one season.

• Nobby's Dad

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:05 PM

The addition of 2 – 3 players will see us alright next season. Some of the critical comments on this Blog IMO are from trophy hunters….they know who they are….the ones always posting ‘…… we’ve signed no one, Wise get your finger out’ on and on.

ARE YOU REALY TOON FANS??? I doubt it. Yes we have a small squad….but you can only play 11….losing the likes of Emre etc. doesn’t diminish our squad…..cos they never played. Carr / Ramage no loss as players only as numbers.

For God sake some of you show some faith in the club owner and staff to move us forward. It’s not going to happen over night it takes time and effort. Some of you sound like you’d want to go back to the Fat Freddie days of Hollywood signings with no thought to team play. Get real!!

• MAG PIE

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:12 PM

29 Tom_Toon // Jul 9, 2008 at 16:47

MAG PIE – Deluded

and Zoggy came out and said he was very happy here, take it you missed that?

TOM TOON – who was deluded????????

• Tom_Toon

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:18 PM

he did you idiot, it was on skysports, look up the archives.

• chuck

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Sebastien Who ?
    Even the renown Tom Toon was baffled.
    Hold on! I get it £2m.
    Hey ! were the new Arsenal, discovering unknown young stars of the future and getting them for nada !
    Wonder how we`ll do in the Championship after next season ?

• Leo

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:30 PM

maybe the reports just missread the name because sebastion bassong sounds a bit like sebastian larrson

just a though lol.

• micepie

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:46 PM

I disagree with HonoraryGeordie about Faye and Beye needing replacing. 30 is not old! A lot of us were hoping that we’d sign Sol Campbell not so long ago and he is several years
    older. Plus Beye and Faye are both excellent. And we forget that Faye can also cover for defensive midfield if necessary.

We are getting a lot of young players in and could create a good blend along with players like B/F.

• ben

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:47 PM

dont think n’zogbia has developed aswell as he should of dont think arsenal or tottenham would be interested get some big names in to get the crowds goin

• figsdad

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Would be a good coup if he does well with this trial….