Newcastle Should Decide Barton Future Now

We reported yesterday that Joey Barton was to be released from prison yesterday.

joey-barton-23.jpg

Joey Barton – in jail for another few weeks

That news was not correct, and it turns out and Joey Barton is now expected to spend up to one more month in prison.

He was denied early release with an electronic tag, because only last week he was given a 4 months suspended sentence at the Dabo trial in Manchester, and that hardly qualifies Barton from being released early, on good behavior, as we pointed out yesterday.

The 25-year-old midfield player had hoped to join pre-season training with the Newcastle United squad, but Joey will not now be available until the final weeks of pre-season.  This will hardly help his case of staying at the Tyneside club.

He is now not available for the club, because of his own reckless behaviour, and it looks like Newcastle may need to get another player in for him, even if they decide to keep Barton, which has to be unlikely, we would think.

He is unlikely to be ready now for the start of the Barclays Premier League on August 16th.

Newcastle have confirmed they will hold talks with Willie McKay, Barton’s agent, when the player is released from prison – but we think that’s too long to wait.

The club should meet the player and his agent now, and make a decision on Barton’s future – otherwise this black cloud will hang over Newcastle’s pre-season training, until he is finally released, and that could take several weeks.

Comments welcome, but please keep them civil.

• Kash2

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Woohoo………..FIRST!!!!

He should be AXED!

• ToonKing

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:02 AM

no he shouldn’t.

• John

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Keep him..

If Keegan wants him it should be end of..He’s the manager

• Tom4Nufc

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:03 AM

I think he is staying, if he was going, why would the club take so long to get rid of him whilst paying his fee’s?

And finally, I want him to stay on the condition that he controls himself from now on, due to the fact I think he is a cracking player, who has drive, passion and commitment when he plays for our club. And if he puts his past behind him, will develop into a fantastic player, lets just hope he can do this, if he steps out of line again he should be thrown out the door, though hopefully his short time in jail has ‘changed’ him so to speak.

• Kash2

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:05 AM

My little AXE joke!

• stjames

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I’m with you on that one Ed.

• Michael

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Get rid.

• Davies

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:18 AM

I don’t want him at my club. I’m not allowed to use the C word on here, but I will say that he is a violent thug. Unfortunately, it’s not my decision.

• Davies

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Has anybody spotted the renewed “N’Zogbia wants to fly Magpies nest” style articles resurfacing?

Are the press that hard up for a story?

• Mikey24

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:21 AM

I dont think we should be shipping any players out at the moment! were in a bit of a mess with regards to squad size and numpties like Zoggy spurting his comments doesnt help! I say give him a chance cos I really liked him in his city days and KK has that “back to your best” skill!

• bowburnmag

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Despite protestations to the contrary, I accept that he has problems which contribute to his behaviour. However, I’m as cynical as the next man about this being an easy excuse to use. I’ve said my bit previously about what I think of him. That aside, Ed, I can’t really agree with you implying that the Dabo outcome constitutes bad behaviour? Surely it’s unfair that this is a relfection of behaviour since his incarceration? I wouldn’t imagine that it’s taken into account when deeming whether his behaviour has been good. Although I feel the later indiscretion should have counted towards the verdict and the punishment for the former incident. From the club’s perspective, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s put on a final warning and we as supporters will need to accept it. Which I will but with a stern and unforgiving mindset and a knotted feeling in my guts about the whole thing.

• Martin

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM

I don’t really see that there is a debate here, he is replacable, last season he proved that (even without all the fights, court cases and slagging off of our fans) He had about 5 or 6 decent enough games, played a coupe of good balls but thats it!

Get in someone who is equal to or better than him, younger, cheaper and with more potential!

• Sav

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Some lag claims Joey is now signing autographs for Mars Bars. They’re not the sort of bars he needs, but I daresay he’ll get a good pelting this season whether from home or opposition fans depends on some stunning performances.

(Non-PC )Quote of the Season Contender, Mike Ashley’s :-
    “I absolutely hate Spurs. I always have done.”

Luv, it, just luv it!

• The Entertainers

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:30 AM

I dare say the club already knows their decision on Barton and are just keeping it indoors.

Quite rightly too. Why give the gutter press more ammunition to use against us, regardless of the clubs decision.

• Ashton

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Keep him he is still young and he is our best midfielder

• Luke

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:36 AM

He did play well towards the end of the season but that’s not exactly the point.

When I read an article on how he was sharing Strangeways prison with some of the most infamous drug dealers, rapists, murderers etc I shivered for the lad. People say this is what he needs, but it’s a cliche that the experiences involved in something like that only tend to make people more angry. He’s meat for the grinder in there and I can’t help but have sympathy for him despite the terrible things he has admitted to doing. It aint no swiss picnic.

People tend to forget that the point of serving time and the subsequent release represents — as ideologically optimist as it is — rehabilitation. If the club had sacked him prior to the ruling then that would have made much more sense. Now I feel there is a certain obligation to offer ‘support’. Of course this is a two way street and he needs to learn to help himself.

• HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Keep him get rid of Smith, Duff,Ameobi, Geremi!
    !!

• Kash2

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:39 AM

His passing isn’t great though. I remeber him being better at passing the ball when he was at city.

• Ashton

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Kash2

Barton played very well towards the end of the season and he was improving with every game btw do you remember his assist against west ham it was pure class imo

• filthy mag

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Sav, I saw that quote and laughed. He would do well to post on this site!

I have always been the sort of person that saw the best in people including rehabilitation if they stray off the rails. However, where Barton is concerned, I feel that he is a liability as is Smith. They have little or no control over their temper and lash out too easily. These sort of players are a liability to the club and could throw a game in the closing stages through stupidity. Also what sort of image does it portray for the club. We are clearly trying to pull ourselves back from what has been not our shining best (dare I metion a certain on pitch scuffle between to co-workers!)

The old adage is a new brush sweeps clean. IMO MA should sweep this detritus aside and plant the seed that will see us grow in to the world beaters that we the fans deserve.

(soap box put away now)

• Len

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:52 AM

My guess would be this is legally a lot more complex than you might think. Sacking people for non work related incidents is a tricky business complicated by the specific nature of FIFA contracts. We cant sack him for the Citeh incident as we accepted that risk when we signed him. Can we sack him for the Christmas Cracker incident? While UTube makes ugly viewing its just another Sat night out in any UK city centre. I would be willing to bet there are another 2 to 4 fights on the same video for that evening? Reputational risk? Again complicated by the fact that he had all this baggage attached when we bought him. We could argue hes not available to work and even then we would have to go through a carefully documented process, I dont think you can just fire him. Looks like we will establish strict behaviour standards going forward and sack him if he breaches them. All this has to be written down and filed to be effective and I very much doubt Fat Freddie did any of that work.

• CRAIGG

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:54 AM

His assist for Oba against Sperms, Great tackle on Taarabt slotted a lovely ball for Oba who sauntered around Wooden-hasbeen-gate and Dawson and placed the ball past Robinson.

He would stay for me, As i always say how can we show off about Moral highground when our Executive director has been just as bad throughout his career.

• sirjasontoon

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:01 PM

He should stay..we have nobody now or will have by the time the season starts that can lace his boots..I think he will knuckle down now and get on with it unless he enjoy’s porridge.

He beat someone up when he was drunk its nothing major i am sure people on here have belted people at some point after a few beers.

• ToonKing

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Len, every society is required by law to have an interior rule set, or whatever it is called in the UK. If an employee breakes it severely you can fire him.

Take it like this, if you own a currier company, and one of your drivers in his free time crashes his car while high on drugs and booze, would you like him to continue driving for you ?? that’s why these rules exist.

however i do not want Barton to get the sack….

• filthy mag

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I am in agreement with the subsequent comments follwing my own, however, I do feel that perhaps we might be overlooking the fact that he attacked one of his fellow team mates. Although this wasnt during a match (akin to our own scuffle!) it still represents a lack of respect for fellow team members. Now if KK can cause a suitable change in him to become more selfless (and lets face footballers have egos) then with the talent he has, he could become a serious asset. Time will tell but the gut feeling is that he doesnt respect his peers. I hope I am wrong and would love to see a change come about. If anyone can do it Keegan can.

• Fernando

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Toon king. Whats a currier company? If someone crashed while on route to my house with a chicken tika masala i would be fuming

• filthy mag

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Fernando, they move currys around the country!

• CRAIGG

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:17 PM

He means Courier, Grow up you know damn fine what he means

• filthy mag

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Craigg, what can I say? He’s back!

• Fernando

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Never went away sunshine. never went away

• George

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:31 PM

No more shying away from this issue, for me they must terminate his contract.
    he is not getting out early because he commited a crime while out on parole, so he obviously does not give a stuff, so why should we.
    This is another of those weird mysterious things that Sam Allerdyce has left us to sort out.
    If we are to make progress, we need responsible, reliable and hard working players, not those that may spend time at HMS pleasure.

• Fergie

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:36 PM

• Rob Kirton

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:36 PM

I had always assumed that we were waiting for his release from jail to sack him in a face to face situation. That seems reasonable to me – having myself never sacked anybody behind there backs.

With his continued incarceration and absence from 1st team pre season training, he is now making himself unavailable for work in more than just in a technical sense as it would be late May / June.

One more on the scorecard, one more reason he should be shown the door on his release

• Fernando

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Just back to zogs little outburst today.Is the guy stupid? He has now alienated himself from the newcastle fans by claiming he wants to join a bigger team but he wouldnt make the bench for either team. Idiot!

• ToonKing

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM

opps 😀 , thanx CRAIGG.

• Flan

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:12 PM

i remember that joey was in contention for man of the match on a number of occassions during the last few games of the season according to the polls on this site and we all knew that the dabo and Mc donalds incidents had occurred. So as far as i can seen nothing has changed apart from the fact that he is serving his time for his mistakes so i for one hope we keep him becaue i think he’ll be a great player for us.

• Leo

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:33 PM

if keegan gives him a chance then i will not complain i will support my team even though im not happy about what he has done, he is a footballer and will HOPEFULLY not be drunk on the field when he needs to be good