Magpies Reported Back In For Pascal Chimbonda

Newcastle United and Everton are said to be locked in a tussle for Tottenham full back Pascal Chimbonda.

pascal-chimbonda-new1.jpg

Pascal Chimbonda – linked to Everton and Newcastle

The price is said to be £4M, and it’s reported in The Sun, so we have no idea if this is an old story being recirculated. This must have been at least the 10th time this summer Newcastle have been linked with this player.

But one thing is certain, Newcastle have to step up their transfer search for defenders.

The club let four of them go earlier in the summer in Rozehnal, Carr, Ramage and Diatta, and have yet to make a single defensive signing.

The Sun is revealing that both managers Kevin Keegan and David Moyes are keen on the full-back, and it’s reported that Hamburg are also after the 29 year-old Frenchman. Former Spurs boss Martin Jol is now manager there, which explains the connection.

Chimbonda has a single cap for France in 2006, and joined Spurs in a £6M move from Wigan two years ago, but since new manager Juande Ramos arrived at Spurs last Ocotber, it always looked like Chimbonda would need to move on.

We like Chimbonda and think he would be a decent signing for the club, but it would not be a popular signing with most Newcastle fans, if readers on this site are anything to go by.  Looks like his reputation precedes him.

• AdamCF

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Looks like the gaffer are getting desperate if Chimbonda’s on the list.

• Slam Dunc

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Don’t know why we would want Chimbonda, he doesn’t fit any of our transfer strategy criteria i.e. young and hungry and cheap.

Looks like we are getting rid of Duff thenL

we’ll see

• Nick Dryden

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:22 AM

From Aimar to Cimbonda. A world class creative midfield maestro to an extremely average, moody, mercenary 29 year old whose team mates can’t stand him and where we already have a player of the season in Beye. Didn’t we just get rid of Carr. You couldn’t make it up.
    Chimbonda and Warnock, just how low have we sunk. Can’t see KK putting up with this much longer and Ashley will surely get the message when he sees the season tickets not moving.
    If Vetere has been in S.America where are the fruits of that??
    Why are we NUFC fans so endlessly tortured and tormented. It can’t be good for our health!!!!

• toonfan1

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:23 AM

No no no no no and NO

• gorskino10

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Is it desperation time from the Likes of (Modric,Asharvin,De Jong etc.. ) Now to Warnock and the most EGO player in our League in Chimbonda please NO Kev stay calm and refocus you making silly errors now.

• WesToon

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:23 AM

NO FRIKKEN WAYS,i know this story aint true,but HELL no….no place for money grabbing thieves at the TOON anymore,he is too old anyway

• Leo

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:24 AM

not true i dont believe it

my brain cant make me believe it haha

• Neil Snowdon

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Dear Ed,

The media have decided that ‘Newcastle rejected again’ is to be our fate, since they have no concrete info coming from us.

Each ‘rejection’ will have its own spin –

Aimar – always going to Benfica.
    Inler – club won’t let him go.
    Derdijok – fee too high.

I try to keep calm about most things, although this transfer window is trying the patience of a saint.

Chimbonda? Please, no. Wrong attitude.

Yours in suffering!

neil

• marat18

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:26 AM

todays morning after Aimar news I thought that it cannot be worse. I was wrong 🙁

• dougnufc

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Forget about Aimar, instead why don’t we sign this young Argentine who has the potential to be better than Aimar

• WesToon

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:37 AM

@ Slam Dunc,thats already ancient GOSSIP mate :}

• Davies

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Jesus I hope this is not true. N’Zogbia will never sort his attitude out with this cockend around.

My fondest memory of Chimbonda is one of him missing a penalty in a Spurs shirt. I’d like it to stay that way.

• agnetha

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:39 AM

I think he would be a class signing. He is top class going forward and is great in the air. He can switch of occasionaly but i still think he would be a class signing. If jol wants him i can see spurs trying to use him as a makeweight for VDV. Didnt he say before the carling cup final that he wanted to join us for the money. I am sure i read that in the paper(which probably means its crap).

• Total Flanker

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Re-hashed, made-up, lazy journalism by The Sun, yet again.

• Gunnar/Iceland

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Don’t want him.

• MAG PIE

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Non, merci

• Hammy

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Oh my GOD…..Ed is going to be banning us left right and centre if this keeps up……for Heavens sake why are we being linked with this dross??
    I’m all for MA reducing the wage bill but on the other side of the coin we have to speculate to accumulate…..can’t see Martin’s and Owen hanging around too long at this rate, Premier League football clubs aren’t your usual business models I’m afraid…

• toonfan1

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM

neil snowdon- i was just wondering why you set out your posts like a letter?

• Len

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Shouldnt this heading read “Chimbonda agent desperate to stir up interest”.

• Drago

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:59 AM

i think its just another bullshit story…

• staffsmag

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:02 AM

don’t want him he is shite – plus if it has been in the papers then it’s not true anyway.

• chuck

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Who in the name of Jay*** is running this f.u.operation.
    I mentioned this m0nths ago, management by committe does`nt work.
    Wage caps dont work, ask Ferguson !
    This great club has become the laughing stock of the PL.
    Ed. do you wonder why outsiders comment on this blog ? Why not, we have become a joke.
    Lets go annoy the geordies.
    Most fans are sick and tired of the the whole
    thing and are venting their frustration like never before.
    With not a word from management other than questionable denials.
    Enough allready !

• micepie

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I’ve got nothing against Chimbonda at all, but I don’t see much point in this. If he displaced Beye or Enrique I think fans would be extremely upset. The only thing I can think of is that he could free up Beye to also play at cb but Beye is much better at rb.

If it happens, I’ll take a deep sigh and just supprt KK’s decision though.

• beye the great

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:40 AM

absolutely gutted when aimar rejected us i honestly thought he was going to sign i guess it proves even more that you cant believe everything if anything the southern press says

• Michael

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Beye was our best player last season so why would we buy a replacement.
    As for the defenders we have gotten rid of:
    Ramage – Never played, poor footballer.
    Diatta – only on a short term deal, played once.
    Rozehnal – Never played, loaned out last season.
    Carr – Worst defender i’ve ever seen, was past it when we signed him.
    None of those players will be missed so there is no need to replace all of them. A young left back and an experienced centre back and our defence is sorted.

• AussieToon

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:55 AM

sorry dont wanna be rude ed but……..F%$k off Chimbonda we dont want u

• Neil Snowdon

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Dear Toonfan1,

You’ll have to humour me. It’s my style! I know bloggers don’t have to observe the formalities, but what the heck!

Regards,

Neil

• Taiwantoon

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:31 PM

I will buy a new top with his name on my back if he joined us.

and i will shot myself.

• evildick

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:13 PM

someone wake me up for season kick off, i can’t handle any more speculation.

• Yahya Ahmad

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:15 PM

• Beattie

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I think i speak for everyone when i say
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Ross

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:19 PM

give him to everton! give him to everton!

thats what i would be shouting, if this story wasnt utter tosh in the first place

• M.Stockley

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:31 PM

we would be shooting ourselves in the foot by bringing in another french player with a bad attitude!
    1.NOT BETTER THAN BEYE OR ENRIQUE- FACT!
    2.BELOW PAR- FACT!
    3. SLAPPED NICKY BUTT AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN SENT OFF- FACT!
    4. WOULD MOAN LIKE A BITCH WHEN LEFT OUT THE TEAM- FACT!
    stay well clear of thisone plese kk, lets the toffees have him!

• Oleg G

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Neil Snowdon – I think it’s great the way you write,

dosn’t matter how many comments are there on the page, I always stop to read yours, just becouse it catches the eye.

Don’t like the messy comments. So don’t think about going down with the rest of the Blog world, there is still place for the good old letter like writing.

By the way, can someone explain to me, why some of the guys here have their names in BLUE ?

• Oleg G

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:09 PM

evildick I’m with you mate, but its like a drug.

Everyday I tell to myself- today you’re not going to check the news on the team.

But after 5 mins I find myself reading all the articles on the Blog and half of the newsnow.co.uk links.

Its the hope of a new day, but most of the days this summer end badly 🙁