Shay Given Just Itching To Play Again

A very good report on Newcastle’s official web site today about our great Irish goalkeeper Shay Given.

shay-given-training.jpg

Shay Given – fittest he’s been in a long time, even with his eyes closed  😀

As we know Shay has had a couple of bad seasons for injury, after his horrific injury at West Ham back in 2006, when he clashed with Marvin Harewood.

But he has now been treated by the famous German surgeon, Dr Ulrike Muschaweck, at her clinic in Munichbegan, Germany.

Dr. Muschaweck has an almost perfect record on footballers she has operated on, who include Alan Shearer and Michael Owen.  After the operation she told Shay his injury problems with the groin would be over.

And believe us, she is almost always right, and she’s probably the best groin surgeon in the world, her record is unbelievably good.

Shay Given has been hard at work during the summer, in a bid to get ultra fit for the coming season, and he seems to have achieved that goal.

The Ireland star has already played 85 times for his country and missed the last 11 games of last season, following another recurrence of the groin and stomach problems.

And Steve Harper came in as his able deputy, and played little short of magnificently for the side, so we know the competition for number one will be fierce, and both goalkeepers seem to be confident of winning the number one spot.

In our poll, with over 1450 votes in so far, 64% of our readers think Shay will be first choice, and the goalkeeper himself seems to have few doubts either, as he told Newcastle TV today:

“I’m just itching to get playing some football again,”  “I’ve been working all summer really and I’ve never really stopped.”

“I came back a week early to work on my strength in the gym and I feel great.” “I think this is the fittest I have ever been and I certainly hope the groin and stomach problems are behind me.”

“It’s the best they have felt for a long time and I have got a lot of confidence in myself about how good it feels.” “When I kick a ball now it seems to fly off my foot and that’s a big relief and I’ve been diving about like a lunatic.”

“As a professional you want to play in every game and last season was frustrating, but hopefully with the surgery I’ve had and my rehab I’ll be able to play in every game next season.”

Shay is just 60 games short of becoming Newcastle United’s record first team appearance holder, and there would be few brave men or women, who would bet against him achieving that tremendous record.

Really good news from Shay today, and he’s just as enthusiastic as ever.

• WesToon

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:03 PM

C’Mon Shay u legend!!!

• Leo

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:10 PM

what the hell is that strap looking thing in the advertisment bit above the comments? highly weird.

i just hope when the ball flys off your foot it goes where he wants it to from now on, maybe in the past his kicking was bad due to the groin etc…

i just hope he does well this season

• Angry Young Man

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:18 PM

we have been offered torsten frings according to the chronicle – he would be a good signing but wages and his age would put the club off it think

• sirjasontoon

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:21 PM

DAILY MIRROR-IDIOTS
    Debate: Are Newcastle fans in for another miserable season?
    Debating the day’s burning sporting issues
    By Dan Silver, Mirror.co.uk 17/07/2008

Newcastle need new signings following Pablo Aimar snub

James Milner demands more money to commit to Newcastle

debate, kevin keegan, newcastle, pablo aimar

The phrase ‘crisis club’ gets bandied around far too easily these days, but Newcastle aren’t exactly enjoying a purple patch at the moment.
    A year on from Mike Ashley’s takeover, the club seem to be no better off than they were before he arrived.
    Similarly, the wave of euphoria that greeted the second coming of King Kevin has dissipated in the disappointing close season.
    The surprise signing of Jonas Gutierrez gave fans something to smile about, but recent stories suggesting that first Anton Ferdinand and then Pablo Aimar have rejected moves to the club have rekindled the air of doom and gloom.

So, how do you think Newcastle will fare next season?
    Can the Toon finally mount a serious challenge for some silverware?
    Or will it be another long, hard season with a flirtation with relegation providing the only excitement?

• Davies

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:34 PM

SirJason, don’t let articles like that one in the Mirror get to you mate. It’s the Mirror.

According to other sources, we’ve already turned down Torsten Frings and Julio Baptista, so we can’t be that desperate. I think you’ll find that they are just trying to fill their pages after getting the Aimar deal wrong.

They were first to report it remember.

• WesToon

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Who is the hottie standing next to Ashley in the banner at the top?? Any1 have a clue??

• tom tomb

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Westoon it is my fiance get your own woman!

• mattyh

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:45 PM

boumsong

• gorskino10

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Gunna be a tough year for Shay and Harper but good conpitision for them. i just hope we have this sort of banter between the rest of the team. This year is too early for trophies all we want is a good run in the LEAGUE get up posisions, just compeate with euro place and then we will start thinking about trophies we have waited many years 1 or 2 won’t hurt, atleast this year i have more faith in KK than Big Sam, just a few signings then ill be happy.

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:51 PM

why have we turned down frings 😮 someone isnt doing their job properly if we have turned down him he is only 31 and proper quality.

• reillers

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:53 PM

You’d swear by the talk off him that’s he’s a wee lad on Christmas morning. 12 years later and he’s still as enthusiastic as he was the first day he came. I don’t know about ye but that made me smile. What a legend.

I’d challenge anyone to question his confidence now after reading that, that’s the happiest and most confident Shay that I’ve seen in a long time and I’d think most would agree with that.

What a legend, he’s dead on, he’s all smiles. It looks like he’s finally over that injury that has plagued him since Harewood.

I hope he does really well this season because he’s worked his socks off. I don’t know about the rest of ye but after reading that I can’t wait for next season.
    The wee lads oozing with confidence. He’s worked really, really hard all pre season, and pre-pre season when everyone else were sunning themselves in Spain or where ever. He’s just been working really really hard. He deserves to do well.I can’t wait, I haven’t seen the wee lad this happy or confident for a long, long time.

• agnetha

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:59 PM

clashed with marvin harewood?

• Frankieboy

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:07 PM

I think Harps would be justified in feeling hard done by if Shay starts the season. He was superb at the end of last season and should start in posession of the shirt come next month.

• Faustino

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I am and always have been of the opinion that Given and his stunt double have kept us in the Premiership through some stormy near misses!

• WesToon

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:15 PM

@ tom tomb, hahaha,say no more mate..wont ask again, hahaha,nice1 mate

• reillers

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Harps would feel hard done by if he didn’t start. But this is football, not the Brady Bunch. The best keeper should play. Feelings aside, it should be the best, sharpest, fittest..etc keeper should start. Last season, is well, last season. They will have to fight it out and by the sound of Given he’s a bit a head. I don’t know why but he seems like he wants it more.

Anyway, they’re both great keepers, but I trust Keegan to pick the best on form keeper at the time, not from 12 months ago or 4 years ago. The on form keeper at the time should play, who that is is up to Keegan. I’ve a feeling it’ll be Shay, I think he’s willing to fight more for it, even from what he’s said there, you wouldn’t hear that coming from Harper. Now maybe that’s just a personality thing I don’t know. But there’s a reason Given has kept Harper on the bench all this time. We’ve seen how good Harper is. But Given on best form I think is better, and he’s a hell of a fighter.
    It’s up to Keegan. We’re lucky to have 2 top class keepers. There isn’t a better duo in the premiership. The best keeper should play come next season should play. Sentiment and such shouldn’t be a factor.

• spudgun

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:33 PM

we may have deficiencies in other areas, but when it comes to keepers, we’ve 2 of the best in the premiership.

• Dan13

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Hello everyone
    I’ve made a fantasy league on the official premiership website.
    If anyone wishes to join me go to this website…
    Once you’ve signed up and picked your team etc go to join league under head to head i think.
    You can join my league by entering this code…
    219072-52479

• Hadrian

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:17 PM

talking about playing every game…..
    wish we had european footie so shay and harper could get their share .

• Gallowgate31

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Come to think of it …its Manure away first game, I would try Shay for this game and then Harps for our first home game. should keep them both happy and give both of them a big welcome back..

• Hadji