After yesterday’s rather turbulent day, when it looked like we may be signing Pablo Aimar from Real Zaragoza, we are after even more players, according to the morning papers today.
Eren Derdiyok – are Newcastle still interested in Swiss 20 year-old?
Here’s a list of players we have recently been reported to be after.We have to keep remembering to take some of these with a pinch of salt, although it looks like we were in yesterday for Pablo.
He may have chosen Benfica, although his situation is still far from clear even now.Â Â Here are some other players we are reported to be after.
- We are said to be in a battle with Everton for Spurs defender Pascal Chimbonda, according to The Sun. The price is said to be Â£4M. Martins Jol’s Hamburg is also interested.
Everton are probably the 5th best team in England right now, and can offer UEFA Cup football next season – so that’s what we’re up against to get Pascal to Tyneside.
- The Independent is reporting that we’ve had a Â£3M bid for Blackburn Rovers left-back Stephen Warnock rejected. But the paper also suggests thatÂ Newcastle may return with a better offer for the once capped English left back, who started his career at Liverpool.
He’s a decent player but let’s not pay too much for him.
- The Newcastle Journal is mentioning another left back associated with Liverpool, 19 year-old Argentine full-back Emiliano Insua, but we had thought Liverpool had already rejected the approach and the player after all, just signed a new 3 year deal on July 2nd.
We think he would be a good buy, if we can get him – but not on loan.
- We did report yesterday there were reports that Newcastle were interested in 27 year-old Chilean striker Humberto Suazo, who plays for CF Monterry in Mexico. That news is reported in several papers this morning, but we have no idea if the reports are true. We think not. Wonder what has happened to our move for 20 year old Swiss striker, Eren Derdiyok.
We don’t know if the club has been put off by his price tag from his club FC Basle, which was quoted at Â£6M, with Newcastle presumably willing to pay only Â£3M. He would be a good buy, and is still available presumably.
- One report we were half expecting is from The Daily Star who are now claiming Newcastle United are interested in Sunderland 6’5″ central defensive target, Dorin Goian of Steaua Bucharest. The 27-year-old defender was a member of Romania’s Euro 2008 squad which was eliminated at the group stage at this summer’s championships, but he looked a very strong player.
It may be too late for him, since we’ve read reports saying he would love to join Sunderland – let’s forget him if that’s the case.Â Â 😀
- Reports yesterday that we have lodged a Â£3M bid for 23 year old Holland star Nigel De Jong. The reports said that Newcastle were keen and his club Hamburg were keen to do the deal.
There were reports yesterday, that he had rejected the Newcastle link – but when you look at what he really said – he just indicated he was happy at Hamburg – a standard response from a player at any club.
So we may still have hopes on this one, although that hope has diminished significantly.
- The Sun is reporting today that Newcastle are about to wrap up a deal for Pablo Aimar for Â£7M, and hope to have the deal completed soon.Â What planet are they on?
Maybe they just read yesterday’s Daily Mirror exclusive. But the Benfica web-site was reporting late last night Pablo will sign for the club for around Â£6M if he completes his medical successfully today.
Do we think that’s true? – we have no idea – but it sounds like deja vu – all over again to us.
Comments are welcome, but please keep them civil.