The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Keegan Tells Newcastle Owner We Need More Signings

10:07 am, Sunday, July 20th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 34 Comments

After a disappointing summer so far in the transfer market, Kevin Keegan did the only thing he can do, and does very well by the way, in fully preparing the players he has got, for next season.

damien-duff-53.jpg

Damien Duff – the hero for Newcastle yesterday

And the performance yesterday from the lads was extremely good, especially from new boy Danny Guthrie, who looked a real steal of a signing, and of course Damien Duff, who showed everybody he is determined to be a key player for Kevin Keegan.

His 3 goals yesterday were proof of that, and Damien worked his socks off, as he has been doing every day in training by all accounts.

But Kevin is no fool, and along with the fans, he is well aware that Newcastle just have to bring in more good players, just as soon as possible – a part of the club that Dennis Wise is responsible for, and is no doubt working hard to get the situation corrected.

Make no mistake, the job Dennis Wise has at Newcastle is key to our future success.

After the game Kevin made the point of saying that the current squad is too small – to Newcastle TV:

“There’s definitely got to be more signings in the pipeline and I’ve told the owner.”

” We only had two players with us on the sidelines that I would call senior players – which takes us to 12,”

“Michael [Owen] had a sore one so we had to pull him, but he’ll return on Monday, and we’re missing Mark Viduka.”

“The Spiderman’s registration still hasn’t come through, but we’re like a lot of clubs, waiting for something to happen in the market.”

“We’ll definitely be in before the end of the window because we just can’t go into the Premier League with this small squad.”

“Everyone’s working hard, we’ll see what happens.”

If we have two senior players on the sidelines, doesn’t that take us to 13?  Well Kevin’s maths was never great.   :D

Even the fact that the registration of Gutierrez is not through, seems a little surprising since he was signed on July 3rd, over 2 weeks ago.

The best thing that can happen is that bring in a couple of players next week, but we will still need more if the squad is really going to challenge for top 6 this season.

However, the lads looked so good yesterday, and that alone seems to have lifted the spirits of the Newcastle fans.

That, in itself was what was needed yesterday, so it was mission accomplished by Kevin and the boys.

Tags: Damien Duff · Danny Guthrie · Newcastle News

34 responses so far ↓

• 1 toooooon fan // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:13 AM

“Michael [Owen] had a sore one ”
    sounds painful

• 2 craig chisholm // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Is this KK venting his frustration at the lack of transfer activity?

• 3 AussieToon // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Cmon we need
    AM
    CM
    CB
    CF
    LB

• 4 Tom4Nufc // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:19 AM

ED, i think he was referring to 12 senior outfield players. It is just toooooooo quiet, please something happen!

• 5 Geordie Gerrard7 // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:22 AM

something is happening, you can tell, he tried dodging the questions asked yesterday but give his most honest oppinion he could, i love the way we are dealing with our transfers these days, and as for who ever said spear is moving up next sunday isnt far wrong, they had to wait for him to finnish his school year and will move up this week, im very happy its a done deal. over the bloody moon infact

• 6 Matiz // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:22 AM

He’s talking about outfield players (not GK) 10 on the pitch and two on the bench :-)

• 7 Sean // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:24 AM

we could get crespo on a free :) chelsea released him

• 8 Marguerite // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Ed

He said 12 ‘outfield’ players (not counting the goalie) so his maths are not that bad after all.

I must admit in the interviews I have heard / seen, I did not hear him mention ‘the owner ‘ either, although I have seen this quoted elsewhere.

What did concern me though was his body language, which has, and always will be, very revealing. He looked rather disenchanted to me, I hope I am wrong.

Mind you as the days slip by and no more signings, I am getting increasingly nervous too.

• 9 sirjasontoon // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Transfers will happen we just got to be patient and ignore the media tittle tattle.

Trust in Keegan : )

• 10 Gateshead Mag. // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Marguerite

Stop being so bloody negative man, We will sign players, Ashley isn’t as tight as people think. How much did we offer for Woodgate and Modric?
    We’ll buy players nee doubt about that.

• 11 beye the great // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:32 AM

did anyone read the notw apparentley were all **** scared of owen leaving yet another load of bolllocks by the notw because at the min it is being taken care off

• 12 Gateshead Mag. // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:33 AM

The News of the World is a discrace. They should get done for making up bollucks all the time

• 13 toon mad chris // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:36 AM

we should try and sign saviola from real madrid

• 14 Marguerite // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Gateshead Mag – sorry if I am coming over as negative, I just want the best for our club.

I never have been good at reading people and their intentions though!!

• 15 Gareth // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:40 AM

The bbc’s roundup of all of the paper rumours returns not a single Newcastle story (and on a Sunday, too), so you can guarantee we’ll be signing someone imminently…

• 16 Alex // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Any news on the french defender that we got on trial ? he was nowhere to be seen yesterday .

• 17 SuperShearer // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:46 AM

If Duff can rediscover his form he could become like a new signing, either that or he may have put himself in the shop window which could also work to reducing our wage bill.

• 18 domtoon // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Hmmmmmmmm seems like these little pre-match & post-match interviews are the only ways KK can voice his much filtered opinion.

Not necessarily a bad thing as it means the recruitment team can get on with the job in peace, but not good in that KK is (maybe??) left in the dark not knowing what is going on and what players he’s going to have come start of the season.

Also means we don’t know what’s going on!

• 19 Gateshead Mag. // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:56 AM

I havn’t heard any news on him. Infact I’ve seen no news what so ever on new transfers the past week apart from Aimar and De Jong.

I think alot of the papers are giving up the fact we’re signing players we havn’t been linked with, It just goes to show the papers are are full of crap, Only time I ever believe them is if their’s a quote that says ‘Newcastle have made a move, We will wait to see if Galatasary(for example) accepts a bid. Then we will talk to Newcastle’

It’s quotes like that you believe not made up crap which most papers are world class at doing.

• 20 Malaysian Toon // Jul 20, 2008 at 10:56 AM

I don’t think KK’s ody language is about him being disenchanted with the owners’s etc. I think he’s been given very specific instructions on what he can talk about to the media specifically on transfers. The wall of silence on this issue is actually a good thing (to the process of getting players in without inflated prices) but KK has never been one to watch his words. He’s always been the kind who says whatever is in his mind on must be hard for him to keep mum on certain things.

I mean seriously, imagine KK trying to keep quiet the fact that we’re tying up a deal for Kaka :)

• 21 Gateshead Mag. // Jul 20, 2008 at 11:00 AM

The squad we have a is a great squad and we seriously can’t sell any of it. Its too small as it is. Adding players to it is what we need!

Even Keep Smith etc, The more depth in the squad the better in the long run for Newcastle.

All thats needed is some real quality singings. Guys who can supply the good for the likes of Owen – Martins etc. Or for him to even turn the game himself.

• 22 robertsa // Jul 20, 2008 at 11:11 AM

evans,derdiyok and all the other young players we have been linked with dont exite me. they wont get us into europenext season. I want to see some players that are signed to make a statement that we will take this season seriously. the only players I really want to see at newcastle are turan cuellar and rat. they will all make a difference. sean ur right I would love crespo. proper target man better than viduka anyways

• 23 Davies // Jul 20, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I was just pleased to see that KK had a smile on his face while he was giving the interview. As long as he’s happy, I’m happy.

• 24 robertsa // Jul 20, 2008 at 11:15 AM

it looks like sunderland are getting chimbonda malbranque tanio and kaboul youve got to say Keane is canny at transfers. I really wanted Kaboul for us.

• 25 Don D // Jul 20, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Ed,

Kev said he only had 12 “outfield” players in his interview… Outfield players are all those in the starting eleven aside from the keeper – hence 10. Add two subds of first team status makes the 12… not 13… his math in the end not too bad :)

• 26 Faustino // Jul 20, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Robertsa – canny at transfers whislt being the laziest b*ll*cks in a manager’s coat.

Imagine the world’s clubs as shops on a high street. He just went into the one shop with a fiddler on the roof and spend his whole wallet on the bargain bin ;)

How can you, in one post, knock signing Derdiyok as not making a statment and then in the next, rue missing out on a Spurs reject?

• 27 Bucks_mag // Jul 20, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Robertsa,
    What are you on? Tainio was only ever a squad player for spurs, chimbonda’s a flippin’ drama queen. Buying all the rejects from one club is lazy. Their buying policy is awful. They have bought loads and loads of s**t.
    + Kaboul is only talking to them to find out is options. He w nts to go somewhere else

• 28 smithy // Jul 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM

i hope 3 new topclass players come through the door b4 the end of the window

• 29 CrAiG // Jul 20, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Honestly
    signings are extremely needed as we dun hve enough players….
    we juz hve 1 typical LB as Zog is a midfield and LM, same as central back as lacking experienced sweeper
    Sufficient wings but need to add efficient midfielders~Danny has class~but add 1 more to be his partner
    1 centre is needed to hold up balls and compete wif air~as I mentioned many times already

1 Sweeper
    1 Left-sided Defender
    1 Midfielder
    1 Centre Forward
    At least 4 players and juz sell Smith…

• 30 Michael // Jul 20, 2008 at 1:08 PM

I doubt all four of those spurs players will actually go to Sunderland. I’m surprised Kaboul even turned up for talks after what his agent said.

As for getting crespo from chelsea, I would rather have Ronaldo on a free from Milan, thats if you really want a high paid ageing player to come and lie on the treatment table.

• 31 WIGAZ // Jul 20, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Here Here Smithy! quality is needed! sean gr8 shout on crespo m8! he’s a top class CF knows where the goal is & i think would link up with owen & oba really well! would we really get him for free? if so we should get in there, what a gr8 way to prove chelsea wrong than buy destroying them in a toon shirt! comon Hernan make the move!!!!

• 32 Tom_Toon // Jul 20, 2008 at 1:14 PM

If would be a great shout about Crespo if his wife didnt say:

‘I’ll never step foot in england again’

• 33 Spuggy // Jul 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Actually, I only think we need 3 more players with Gurthrie and Gutierrez on board.

The onyl top quality players we really need are CB, RB and CM as we are not in Europe this season.

Here our current positions in order of quality/priority and the ???????? is where we need to sign players.

GK – Given/Harper

RB – Beye/Edgar/Geremi
    CB – ???????/Taylor/Faye/Cacapa/Edgar
    LB – ???????/Enrique

RW – Gutierrez/Milner
    LW – N’zogbia/Duff ( Gutierez/Guthrie)
    DM – Butt/Guthrie
    CM – ???????/Barton/Geremi

CF – Owen/Viduka/Martins/Smith/Carroll

As you can see we have sufficient strikers for a season out of Europe now they’re all fit (though we will be relying on the fitness of Viduka). So we should focus elsewhere if one is not available better than what we have. Gutierrez and Guthrie open up lots of options for using Milner and N’zogbia in CM position which I’m sure we’ll see more of (like yesterdays match), so we now have lots of options unlike last season.

See…..only three players required (and out of them 2 top quality – CB and CM). Buying good big striker would be great, but not an absolute must – supplying the strikers was our letdown last season not the strikers themselves, well, apart from Smith perhaps (once we did the goals flew in). In addition, we have some great youngster some of which I’m sure will develop into good PL players.

• 34 Michael (NOR) // Jul 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Hi Ed & everyone, new here.

I remember (or do I?) when we only brought Bowyer to the club, now THAT was frustrating. Been a Toon fan for appr. 16 years and I have to say that I’m starting to like the way the club goes around with it’s business. I think we need a CM (playmaker), a CB (even though I’ve got a funny feeling Faye & Tayls gonna perform nicely this season) and a new LB. We’re not far from having the same team that went unbeaten for 10-13 games last season, when Keegan waved his magic wand around. A good preseason, just a couple of new players in and I don’t think that 8. spot would be too far off. Don’t know much about Spear, but hopefully he’d be one pushing for the 1st 11 in a few years time. Can’t really get my mind off that Matias Fernandez. I’d gamble a few pounds on him, could be a real star for nufc. Butt got the player of the year vote from 80-90% of the players interviewed on .co.uk, and I hope he can have a good season again, along with the rest of the squad. Toon Toon!

previous post: Keegan – Duff Looked Very Sharp