Guthrie Thrilled By Reception Of Newcastle Fans

Danny Guthrie, our new 21-year-old central midfielder, impressed on his Newcastle debut on Saturday afternoon, and was delighted with the reception he got from the fans.

danny-guthrie-797398.jpg

Danny Guthrie – excellent debut on Saturday

Talking about the welcome he received at Victoria Park, Guthrie told the Evening Chronicle:

“The fans were unbelievable.”  “For a pre-season game that was something else. You don’t get that at every club.”

“I know what the fans are like – I played in the Kevin Keegan return game for Bolton last season, and it was one of the best atmospheres I have ever played in.”

“Playing at St James’s Park when it is full is something that I am really looking forward to.”

“Playing in front of the Liverpool fans is similar, but Newcastle’s stadium is bigger, so I suppose they are going to be even louder and I can’t wait for that moment.”

He added: “Coming to Newcastle just happened overnight for me.” This is just the start of things – it’s only a pre-season game and the season will only get better.”

Hartlepool were the equal of Newcastle on Saturday, but only for the first 40 minutes or so and then the class of Newcastle, and the introduction of Danny at half time, seemed to turn  the tide for the Magpies.

Speaking on his goal, Guthrie told the Chronicle:

“It took a little deflection, but sometimes you need that, and if you don’t have a shot you don’t score.”

“To get a goal, an assist and a win was a big bonus. “The main thing was to get the rust off and get a feel of things again.”

“The first week has been really tough.” “I’ve been finding out how things work up here.”

“It’s a really big club, but it’s nice to finally play a game.” “It can only continue to get better for me.”

This boy has a first class attitude, and he will just love playing for Keegan – love it.

And of course, it also looks like he will be inspired by the Newcastle crowd, and we are looking forward to Danny coming through, in a big way, this season.

He’s seems a great lad.

• Seymour Butts

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:44 PM

looks a tidy signing and at £2-3m you can’t go wrong.

• Liam

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:45 PM

if you dont shoot you dont score… brillient attitude because in the past since solano and robert left and obviosly shearer its almost as if we have been trying to walk the ball into the net

we need to shoot more and work the goal keeper, also practice our crossing because for corners they are desprately bad

• Ian Grainger

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Calm down Ed, you’re posting articles like a crazed madman 😀

He looks a good signing, will adapt nicely into the team and should be good for the price we paid

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:51 PM

I think thats just because Geremi takes them Liam. N’Zogbia and Milner should do the corners.

• Martin

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:54 PM

It’s not Ed it’s the nufc website – they’ve done all these articles aswell – Ed’s just relayed them on here…

I guess it’s because theres not a lot of action on the transfer front???

• domtoon

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:54 PM

It’s Ed’s blog he can post as many articles as he wants! Besides, they’re all quality so why complain :oP

Guthers will be top notch. Guarantee it.

• Ian Grainger

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I was just joking, I need articles to keep me entertained.
    I wish we had a new signing… 🙁

• figsdad

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Good player and he will get games unlike liverpool and playing for a crap team in a form of bolton..

He knows he will be loved

i think him and zoggy would be good in the middle..

• Mark Jesmond

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Hi

I was at the game on Saturday and have to admit the atmosphere was excellent. Lovely ground to go to for the 1st pre-season friendly. I think there was about 4300 there, and we surely made up at least half of that.

Guthrie got a hellish reception when he came out to warm up for the first time – and looked genuinely chuffed by it.

HAve to say I was impressed by him when he came on – very positive player – great passer of the ball. Plus, I know Keegan has said it already, but he does this thing on the ball to give him more space – and it totally reminds me of Rob Lee…

I know it was only H’pool, but a promising start from him

Butt was outstanding, and if Duff hadnt played as well as he did (once moved to the left wing for the 2nd half) he would have been my man of the match. He also gave Enrique a massive boll*cking for not getting stuck in to players.

Roll on the start of the season!

• ObaFan2

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Sounds like he deserved all the applause too, well done but there’ll be harder games in the future 🙂

“It took a little deflection” seemed a little more than that 2 me 😆

• Fernando

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Why does Ed always use the embarrassing ‘Love it, just love it’ slogan in every one of his articles…i would love it, just love it…if he stopped doing that

• Mick C

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Hi Ed

Have you heard any rumours about Andy Caroll going to Blacburn rovers as part of the deal for Warnock?

If it is true then KK must not fancy him as a player. That might mean that the young Italian Zamberletta(not sure of the spelling) is ready to step up into the reserves and then the first team squad.

What do you think.

• *******

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:35 PM

I have just heard an immense rumour form a relatively decent source!!

BENTLEY to sign for toon as soon as replacement has put pen to paper at Blackburn.

we have offered 15 Mill for Bentley and Warnock, Blackburn wanted that for Bentley alone!!

we have stumped up about 13m…and 2m offered for warnock…..

Blacburn are saying no they would want another 2 mill as bentley was worth 15!!!

This source knows someone at the Club very well (That is a definite) and they are saying that is the craik.

I hope it is, i would like to see Bentley as our AM!!

• Incognito

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:51 PM

“if you don’t have a shot you don’t score”

We’ve been needing a player with this attitude for donkies.

• Nick Dryden

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:52 PM

Off topic but if we sell Krul as now seems very likely I will be devastated. KK should give him some games as number one and make him feel wanted. His height makes him a far more commanding presence than either Given or Harper and he will be the next van de saar make no mistake. Typical NUFC we are giving him away fo 2M !!! Potentially the best keeper in the world that is how this kid is and how catastrophic it would be to let him go.

• agnetha

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:21 PM

********* you are talking *******! Bentley has said he wants european football and a return to london. I should know, he’s my mate. He will be registered with spurs by friday.

• jettson

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:41 PM

i think bentley has an attitude problem and isnt worth 15m that they are asking, pack him off to spurs to fight for a place, we want players with a hunger to play for the toon, and not those who want money first!! same with Chimbonda, rather give a young reserve player the chance to fight it out with Enrique!! im sure we will get the players we want, but not a silly inflated prices for players with bigger egos than ability!!

• *******

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Agnetha, aint that weird, he is my mate as well!!
    And my aunty maudes and my uncle bobs, and my brother ******!***, and my uncle ernie and my ma and my da. He is all of our mates!!!

He is a friendly chap!!

YES, I am now talking ******** just like you are!!

I am only reporting what i heard from a mate of mine. I am not saying it is actually happening!!

By the way, he is a spuds fan as well, starnge a spuds fan would tell me this when YOU Agnetha/Fernando think you know it all!!

GOD you actually do think us Geordies are as dense as you spuds …….

Agnetha indeed, seen right through it straight away MORON!!!!!

• *******

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:59 PM

The only reason you come on here fernando is there is no one spuds fan clever enough to set up a blog.

Pleased you and your underperforming team are love to look at us Geordie boys with envious eyes so much!!

Go away and watch some overrated overpaid ‘SUPERSTARS’ that will suffer at the hands of the mighty mags again next season xx

PS Ramos first Manager sacked is a good bet, Levy hasnt a clue what he is doing!!!

• Mitch H

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:45 PM

This fernando bird is really gettin on my nerves.

She’s such a little biatch.

Ban this little no-mark Ed?

• Hadrian

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM

go on there danny son .
    keep this up and we will be singing this lads name all season !

• scott9

Jul 21, 2008 at 10:37 PM

wen we first signed this lad i thought not a bad sjigning was expecting a bit more but he will b one for the fututre but i really think now he was definatley a good signing for about 3m the price suggested and i think he will get into the first 11 next season u no he can pass the ball he can defend he has a good engine u no wen u think about it he is exacklty wot we needed at the right age without paying over the odds

• NUFCAl

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Quality all round midfielder who will be able to fill in for Butt or in a bit more of an attacking role. He can go right hand side but he’s not as good there as he is in the centre.

He’s going to be such a quality player for us and one for the future, can’t believe the negativity of some muppets when he joined.

Fantastic attitude aswell and a breath of fresh air to hear him and Jonas so desperate to get up and running and loving life in Geordieland. Seems like Guthrie in particular has caught the bug already.

This kid reminds me so much of Rob Lee it’s unbelievable. High praise indeed like.

• Spyro

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:45 AM

hahaha, i told you guys agnetha was fernando, finally the little turd has been found out, go lose your virginity you little mug

• Mexi-Toon

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:00 AM

guys, tell me, is the Toon really as beautiful as it is in the movie Goal?? my dream is to see a Newcastle game at St. James!! perhaps i can study abroad next year?? anyone willing to let a college student room with them for a semester??? hahaha

• agnetha

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:35 AM

******* are you angry because you have been found out as a liar? Serves you right for telling porkie pies. There is nothing worse than a wind up merchant.

• agnetha

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:36 AM

Yes mexi toon it is. And middle earth is as beautiful as in the lord of the rings.

• *******

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Agnetha talking about pork pies!!
    Him being a spud???

Strange one him aint he!!

MEXI-TOON, Newcastle is gods chosen land, it is the best City in europe by far, and probably in the top ten cities in the world.

Now London….ask anybody, DUMP!! Full of Spuds, and they smell funny, and they are all ABBA fans who dress in tight satin bell bottomed pants and are of a lower intelligence than us ‘Norverners’ derrr!!

They cant even set up their own football blog, not that they have anything worth talking about down there with the Gooners and Chelsea being the only team of note!!

If you done away with the SPUDS and their fans, it wouldnt be a bad place at all, its just they have this hyowge chip on their shoulders, that they hink they have a decent football team, but as I said…Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, West Ham, QPR, Crystal Palace, these are all teams of note, and usually put up a good game against Newcastle, however Spuds…..just look at the last few seasons results when they come up here…..oh and when we go down there, they are no better!!!

Agnetha / Fernando……I awiat your response, its good having muppets like you on here who we can run rings about, just like we do to your team every year xx

• agnetha

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:10 PM

******** i see you are still upset about being called a liar. well tough! you shouldnt lie. I imagine you are a silly little teenager who thinks it is funny. If you are older you cant be right in the head.

Even though i am a diehard newcastle fan i am not as blinkered as you seem to be. It is great that we beat spurs every season but are we really in there league. I dont believe so. They had two 5th place finishes in a row and won a trophy last season. I would be delighted if that had been us. Infact i would just like to see us win a trophy and not have to listen to my granfathers tales of when we last won silverware.

Anyway pinnochio i look forward to your response and some more of your tales. Did you hear that bentley came back from blackburns pre season tour? I wonder who he is about to sign for? My bet ould be on a 17mill move to spurs, but what do i know?

• ******

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:20 PM

agnetha you are correct and i apologise. I am sorry for telling fibs. I am only 14 and i get teased at school over my lies. The other kids call me Enid Blyton.

• *******

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Ha ha ha, yid amuse me!!(oops freudian slip)
    Chorte chortle chortle.

Go and support your third rate team matey, I shall continue to enjoy watching the gooners and chelsea oh and the toon trump you again next season!!