Gutierrez Wants To Emulate Nobby and Tino

Our new signing Jonas Gutierrez has talked to the nufcTV today, and said he would like to emulate the success of former South American Toon favorites Tino Asprilla and Nobby Solano.

jonas-gutierrez-32.gif

Jonas Gutierrez – delighted to be at Newcastle

The 25-year-old Argentine will become the 12th player from South America to play for Newcastle Uniteds, when he finally makes his Newcastle debut soon.

And the former Real Mallorca player, whose registration is being held up by his former club, told nufcTV today:

“I know a lot about Tino Asprilla and Nobby,”

“I have watched them play – Nobby has been in Argentina so he is well known.”

“If I can be as popular as them it would be great.”

Jonas seems to have wasted no time in settling into life at Newcastle and it seems like 22 year-old fellow Spanish speaker Jose Enrique will be a big help to Jonas in settling in.

Jonas continued:

“Jose Enrique will be a big help. It makes it easier to adapt to the life,”

“He told me what to expect too. I’m very happy to be here.”

“It’s a big club and there are a lot of big players here.”

“Now I just can’t wait to play in the Premier League.”

We exepct great things from Jonas, but we’ll have to give him time to settle on Tyneside, but he certainly seems to be a great lad.

We think Nobby Solano is the best South American ever to play for Newcastle United, only just edging out George Robledo of 1950s fame.

Of course only the old timers will remember George, but could he score the goals.

He scored 82 goals in 146 appearances for the club, including 39 goals in all competitions in season 1951 -1952 – we said he could score goals. 😀

But who do you think between George, Nobby and Tino? Please vote in our poll corner – thanks.

Comments also welcome.

• WesToon

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:52 AM

I really really hope Jonas can be a mix of both….What a player he could be!!!!

• DanToon

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:53 AM

This is the worst summer ever for signings, hate it!

And btw that NUFCtv voice-over bloke has the most annoying voice ever, get rid he sounds so stupid!

• autibo

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:59 AM

more on the way i’m sure, i’d rather bide our time and get good players rather than do what the mackems are doing and paying £23m for 3 crap spurs players and one decent one (malbranque)

just hope we are biding our time, rather than dragging our feet. as toon fans it’s in our nature to be impatient but im sure signings will come and hopefully we’ll be pleasantly surprised

• lee

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:00 PM

all we can do is hope . but if anyone can get the best out of him keegan can

• gorskino10

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:01 PM

but if you look at last year (i know it was big sam) but we only started signing players in August must mean he knew he didnt have long to buy some players hopefully well do a double signing or something.

• mr_flibbles

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:06 PM

a double double signing

• MichaelA

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:09 PM

DanToon,

Let me take you back to 2003, Having just qualified for the Champions League having finished third, a forward thinking team would have added to the young squad. We did, with a solitary free transfer Lee Bowyer.

Having spent 28million on interest payments and 30million dividends to the Hall and Shepherds since 98 Bobby was left penniless. Mike Ashley can be expected not to “flash the cash” considering this happened before the 50million spent by one greame souness, with more money we didn’t have.

I’m pretty certain that this isn’t the worst summer signing binge we’ve been on. a five year slump both on and off the field, does not sort itself out with loads of big money signings in a year.

• DanToon

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:24 PM

MichaelA,

As a champions league team we were already competing on a high level the spending would not have been as necessary in 2003 as it is now, we had a bloody good team then. Now the side isn’t a patch on what it was five years ago, as things currently stand I see us finishing in the lower bottom half near and around the Bolton, Wigan, Fulham’s etc and even they are spending big trying to progress! We need to spend MA’s money.

I hate to say it but it’s where I see things at the moment!

• The Entertainers

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Two of our favourites and if he can reach the status those two achieved in the past then he will shine here.

Its a shame we havent always had the best of luck with S.American players as they produce some of the very best and is a great place to pick up a bargin or two.

Its also such a shame Solano couldnt come back as a coach and introduce some sort of set up for future S.Americans, paticularly youngesters.

• sirjasontoon

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:27 PM

H e sounds like a very good signing and i hope he settles in well and makes his mark at the toon.

More signings would be good and although it is pretty quiet I think Ashley knows that the squad is paper thin and will spend on new players..when you have senior players saying the dressing room is half empty i am sure Ashley will be listening.

The signings we do make will not be top notch stars we know that we are not the draw we once where,but I expect whoever we sign Keegan and his team will get the best out of them and get them to raise their game without a doubt.

My attitude is far more positive about newcastle now and have faith.

Toon is for Life

• Spitfire

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Well said MichaelA. I too do not want to see signings for signings sake. We have to learn from the previous 5 years of complete pox -ups. We are doing it a different way this time. It might not work but then again it might. Just remember point 1 : we have not got Sam so we are better off. point 2 we have not got Souness so we are better off. point 3 we have got Keegan so we are better off. point 4 we have got rid of some below average players and got two better players in so we are better off. point 5 Ashley has paid off the club debts so we are better off. Maybe it is too early to start rejoicing but lets at least be a bit thankful for small mercies

• sweendog

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:37 PM

We need players or this season is top 10 .. if we’re lucky .. or bottom half of the table fighting relegation .. MA needs to get his cheque book as we need to build on Keegans positive work or else it can be undone very quickly..

• geordie4life

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:45 PM

couldnt agree more about the voice over on NUFC cant stand him worst geordie accent ive ever heard

• DanToon

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Oh, and while we on about South American’s i hear a lot of people going on about signing Matius Fernandez, why the hell would he leave Villarreal who were runners up in La Liga and have qualified for the Champions League to come to Newcastle who lets be honest have nowt!

Would be great if it happened for us, but he’d have to be nut’s to do that!

• MichaelA

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:56 PM

I see your point DanToon, although results since that 2003 season have been downhill ever since.

I’m not one to boo, and if anything I’m a little too chipper. The end of that next season saw a mass exodus during the lap of honour with booing from a large contingent. We finished 5th with a semi in europe.

Because of failure to strengthen a young exciting team, we suffered injuries, dips in form, and tiredness. Had our money not been pissed up the wall, we were in a prime position to attract the best. We couldn’t afford to, and have been suffering ever since.

Aye, I think I’ll leave it there before everyone gets bored and I start mentioning tab clear and marathon bars.

• sweendog

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Matias Fernandez hasn’t played that much for Villareal .. supposed to be frustrated and (so the press say) wants to play in england ..seeing that he’s unproven in the english league only a few clubs will go for him .. and newcastle would be the biggest IMO .. so if he wants to come (thats debatable) then I reckon we could get him..just have to pay the money

• TS

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:01 PM

DanToon

I take your point and don’t get me wrong – I know we need more players in – but there’s a big difference between the squad last season and this one, and that’s Keegan at the helm rather than Big Sham. You must’ve seen the way that Keegan got the same squad that took one point from Derby under BS playing towards the end.

What’s the difference between that squad and this? We’ve lost six players – Carr (useless, better to play without a right back), Ramage (handy squad player but nothing more), Rozenhal (never fitted in, but could’ve settled given a more concrete position), Troisi (2 maybe 3 first team apps, showed promise but never really delivered), Diatta (on trial, never made the grade) & Emre (obviously good, but injured so often you’d forget we had him). There’s only 3 of them we might miss, and we’ve already got better replacements for 2.

I know we needed squad depth throughout last season already, but if your backups are rubbish you’ll still get beat when you have 1st team injuries.

I don’t think we’d struggle that badly even if we went into the season with the current squad. Sure it’s way too thin, but it’s arguably better than last season’s as what we’ve lost were generally useless and those we’ve got in look good.

I’m sure if Kev had been in charge from the start last season we’d have comfortably finished mid-table if not higher.

• matigol

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:16 PM

I play for Villareal and I want to play for the best team in the world… will you sign me ..

• Leo

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:51 PM

nobby pips tino for me, but i wasnt old enough to see robledo as for jonas he has the chance to do what nobby tino etc did at newcastle and that is win us all over and become a legend, he is making all the right noises before getting a chance to play. im excited.com

• chinzaknuk

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Hi Everyone, I’ve been reading the blogs for awhile now but this is my first post, first of many i hope. Great site Ed, hope the numpties don’t ruin it for everyone.

There is such a wide range of feeling on here about the present situation regarding signings and shouts for MA to get his hand in his pocket. I just don’t think money is the problem ….we all know of the attempts to sign Modric and Woodgate and probably others we don’t know of yet, so i think the money will be there for the right player.

The calls for spend, spend, spend just doesn’t seem right. Look at all the money we have spent in the past on players like Boumsong, Luque, Vianna, Robert etc etc. I rather we’d kept the money because they gave little in return, blooded some youngsters who really wanted to play for the club, and trying to build a future for the club. Which is what i see happening now.

This club has been so badly looked after for so many years now that i think we all get a bit sceptical about whichever board or owner is in place. Me, i do believe the approach that MA has adopted is the right one for the long term approach i do think he is here for, and even if he isn’t in it for the long term, as an astute businessman he will want to put the place in the best of order if he wanted to sell it. The only way to have a successful footbal team is to win things otherwise the value of the club goes down.

One thing MA is not and that is stupid, give the guy a break.

• ChrisL

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:23 PM

I loved Tino, but I hope he doesn’t replicate him!

• Taiwantoon

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Wait a minute, lads. Does the club really needs to spend MA’s money on new players? I thought the club was actually making some profits? Well…it’s his club now, so it’s his money, but you know what I mean…

• Matthew Tom

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM

I’m too young to know, but was Robledo a winger or a forward?

82 goals in 146 games is pretty outstanding. I loved Nobby as much as anyone, but I don’t think he matches up to that!

• Greek Toon

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM

It is silly to compare Nobby with George Robledo. Robledo’s record stands for itself as a prolific goalscorer alongside the great Jackie Milburn. Enough said.

• Egar

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:19 PM

Nobby’s the best of the lot imh2go but Tino’s pure adrenaline & Oba’s the closest we’ve got today for the a-rush.

• steve

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:32 PM

@chinzaknuk – Agree, not sure I’d include Robert alongside Boumsong, Luque, Vianna, Guivarach.

He was a right lazy sod but on his day he was better than good – he scored some classic goals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PmnwtdAQi4

• bob marley

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:38 PM

imagine……… van der vaart next season at newcastle!!!!

• Jimi

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Nobby for statesman….Tino for dropping your beer.

P.s. will some of you guys quit the Daily Mail etc (their ******* the toon up from the inside bollocks) brighten up… Keegan’s back, Owen’s back to his best, Duff’s looking good, Charlie might stay, defence is looking more organised than in years, Guthrie and Gutierrez are a great start to the transfer market, Keegans said more signings to come, best two goalie’s in the prem, oh and how can I forget Martins, Viduka, Milner, Butt, Enrique, Beye, Faye, Taylor, all the quality youth at our disposal…..and financial stability…..finishing anywhere near the bottom eight my arse….happy days…can’t wait to hear the new signings.

• chinzaknuk

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:20 PM

That’s true Steve, Robert was a class player with great ability, i think his problem was all in his head, and i don’t mean that unkindly, it’s just that he wasn’t always focused on what he was supposed to be doing, but also what he was actually capable of doing. Shame

• Marguerite

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Much as I love Nobby, my favourite has to be Tino, although Robledo should really walk it hands down.
    Talking of Robert, I am sure we all remember his 2 BRILLIANT GOALS against the Spuds!!!!!!