Keegan Reminisces on Doncaster

Funnily enough, Kevin Keegan has only played once in his home town of Doncaster, since he left there when he was 15 years old in 1966.

kevin-keegan-4774.gif

Kevin Keegan – played only once at Doncaster

The one time he played was when Liverpool went there for an FA Cup 3rd round replay, in 1974, on their way to the FA Cup final that year.

That was the time they beat Newcastle rather too easily 3-0, with two goals from Kevin Keegan and one from Steve Heighway.

That’s the final that Malcolm MacDonald had promised the fans a win at – oh well.

The FA Cup tie was at Doncaster’s former Belle Vue Stadium, which overlooks the more famous racecourse, and now of course the team, on their way up, now have their new excellent Keepmoat Stadium.

Keegan talked to the Evening Chronicle today:

“I went to Doncaster when I was with Manchester City but I don’t think I went there with Newcastle first time around as manager.”

“I didn’t play there until Liverpool went there for a cup match. Funnily enough, it was the season we won the FA Cup against Newcastle.”

“Doncaster came to Anfield in the third round and drew 2-2 with us and to tell the truth they nearly put us out.”

“We went there for the replay during a power cut – it was the time when the games were played in the afternoon – and we beat them.”

“Belle Vue, where I used to go and watch them, has gone, and they’ve done tremendously well.”

It should be another good outing for the lads tomorrow, and we’re hoping for some good form  from the team again.

Last week’s game at Hartlepool, especially in the second half, gave Newcastle fans the lift they needed, after a dismal time so far in the transfer market this summer.

If the players in the current squad can show some excellent form, as a few showed last week like Duff and Guthrie, that will go a long way to keeping the fans’ hopes high for next season.

But of course we still must sign at least 5 good players before August 31st, and that still seems to be proving difficult.

• lee

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:44 PM

• WesToon

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Good luck KK,good luck the lads!!!

• Faustino

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:56 PM

If we dont get our squad sorted soon… this kind of crack is going to look bloody pathetic. We are currently staring donw the barrel of disaster here Kev mate.

Even I get edgy when the Satdium of shite start throwing money around.

• hitman

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:15 PM

spot on faustino,things need to start happining and quick

• Neil Snowdon

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Dear Ed,

Lovely day here, just come in from cutting the grass!

Off to the Keepmoat tomorrow with some Donnie fans, as it’s my partner’s home town.

We will need to pass well as they are a neat side.

This blog shows we are all different with higher or lower levels of tolerance.

I’m pleased I’ve been blessed with patience! I love the transfer window normally, but this wait is certainly trying.

I’ll give you an honest assessment of whoever KK puts out on the pitch and this includes Shola up against his bro.

Regards,

Neil

PS Real offer a derisory £5.5m for VdV!

• Spyro

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:22 PM

PUNK SKUNK, i told you i would look stupid come friday, i predicted 2 signings and there have been none at all. DAMN YOU NUFC! lol

• devro

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:25 PM

well im heading down on the train tomorrow cant wait for my first match of the 08/09 season!!

• Bill F SPLASH THE CASH ASH

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:41 PM

Spyro, I shouldn’t get too upset about it, I think a lot of us were expecting to see some signings this week.
    Not been a good week for the Toon for many reasons, not least the sad news of Oba’s mum and the Aussie fan. 🙁

• Punk Skunk

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:23 PM

Hey Spyro, no sweat man, y’can’t be right all the time!..It was worth a shout… 😀
    …Keep the faith dude!..