Michael Owen After More Goals Next Season

Newcastle captain Michael Owen has talked today to the Newcastle official web site, and is hoping to quickly get on the goals trail again next season.

michael-owen-2734.jpg

Michael Owen – wants to immediately get back on goal trail

The 28-year-old striker, who has still to sign a new contract at the club, ended last season with a flurry of goals, with seven in his final nine games.

That was after Michael had been appointed captain by Kevin Keegan, and he seemed to play just great for the new manager, and certainly the fans finally started to warm to the England international.

Owen told the Newcastle club’s official website today:

“The end of the season was great. When I get into a rhythm and start playing regularly, it’s fine.”

“But since I have been here, it has been stop-start with a lot of injuries, and it is probably the first time in my career it has been like that.”

“I had a few niggly problems early on with hamstrings, but I have had big, major things since I have been here – it is six operations, I think, I have had and not one prior.”

“I finally got into a nice rhythm and you saw me score a few goals when I was in that rhythm, and that will continue as long as I get on the pitch and I am fine, and that’s the plan.”

Owen has not played too much for Newcastle in the 3 seasons he’s been at the club, but we have high hopes that he can be a key player, as we once again try to capture some success under Kevin Keegan.

Michael was so happy to have the responsibility of team captain, and produced some of his best games at Newcastle, as the team had to fight its way out of relegation, of all things.

Owen continued:

“We had a good time of it last season, especially towards the end. There was a feel-good factor about the club and we were buzzing.”

“It is quite a small squad, but it’s a close-knit squad and a squad with a lot of quality, so it is a lovely honor to have.”

“To lead the team out is great and we had a great end of season, beating Sunderland 2-0 and having a cracking run.”

“Hopefully, we can start the season in the same vein as we ended last year.”

We hope that Michael will be all ready to go in 3 weeks time at Old Trafford, and we’ll need Michael to be at the top of his form this season, if we are to do as well as we want to – and need to.

Number one priority next season has to be to get back into Europe, so we can then have a better chance of attracting top-class players to the club next summer.

• ACD

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:04 PM

I really hope we get this guys contract sorted out asap!

the guy is a legend and a great goalscorer !

Come on the KK, lets build a team around owen and supply him with the ammunition because he will get the goals!

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Second that ^

• HalftimeBovril

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:16 PM

I hope he does too…Otherwise we’ll be up sh*t creek!!

• chinzaknuk

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:17 PM

I hope he can stay fit as even if he’s not the player he once was, he’s still capable of 20 goals a season if he’s playing regularly.

It wouldn’t be a surprise if no new contract is signed until MO sees how we get on next season. I think he’ll hold off on a decision until Jan 2009

• Bill F SPLASH THE CASH ASH

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Has he had, measles, chicken pox etc. Hopefully he has. 🙂

• Danish_Magpie

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I think we will be signing a left-back within a week or two. I am not sure there will be too many more signings.. Like everyone else, I would love to get 4-5 quality players in, but I’m just not sure it will happen. Our squad at the moment:

Strikers. Owen, Oba, Viduka, Smith, Carroll, Ameobi

LW: Duff, Zoggy
    RW: Milner, Gutierrez
    CM: Barton, Guthrie, Butt, Geremi

CB: Faye, Taylor, Cacapa, Edgar
    LB: Enrique
    RB: Beye

GK: Given, Harper, Krul, Forster

I still think Ameobi will most likely leave this summer, and we will bring in a left-back. I think Keegan will stick with Duff and Smith although a lot of people would like them to be sold.

To be honest, I would not be surprised if we brought in a left-back and possibly one more signing (striker, CM, rb cover, who knows?)

Current squad, we should line up with the following for the Man United game:

………………..Given…………………
    Beye…..Taylor….Faye…..Enrique

Gutierez…Milner…Guthrie..N’Zogbia

……………….Oba……..Owen…………..

I think the midfield is full of hard-working players, and I think they would work together well as a unit. Guthrie would have to be asked to stay a little bit further back and use his passing to distribute the play as a deep playmaker, to the aggressive running of the rest of the attacking players.

On the bench we would find:

Subs (7 in the new season):
    Harper
    Cacapa
    Butt
    Geremi
    Duff
    Smith
    Carroll

What do you guys think? I am not asking what you think of whether we should sign or not sign more – I would LOVE more signings – I am after your opinions on who should start given our CURRENT squad.

• domtoon

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:36 PM

I should bleeding well hope he starts scoring again – he’s our captain, star striker, and arguably biggest signing of recent times!!!

Stop the talking, stop the illness, stop the injuries…

Starting with Man Utd – START BANGING THEM IN MICHAEL!!

Thank you.

• John

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Need to get this guy signed to a good 5 or 4 year deal ..That would show our intention’s to possible targets off the ambition we have as a club…

• ToonEskimo

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Anybody else think he’s gonna walk for nothing at the end of next season??? let’s face it MO on a freebie is a very attractive proposition for any of the top four clubs, he’s got the toon by the short and curlies…..

• Kaler

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Owen is like the rest of us, waiting until the transfer window closes to see if Ashley is going to actually do anything.

I don’t know why but I half expected a signing today.

• Owen_10

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Slow day for news eh

• HeronMag

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Danish Magpie – yep, with the current players we have that’s the line up I would send out – perhaps exchanging Guthrie for Butt…

• Danish_Magpie

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Perhaps his experience and defensive-minded-ness would be good.. it’s just his passing is much worse than Guthries!

Note: The reason I do not have Viduka on there is because I believe he will still be injurd. No Barton is because God knows if he is out of jail/fit mid-august..

• 9 Shearer

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:11 PM

I agree with Danish But i accept two more signings a CB and LB. The rest of the squard members will keep on impressing and Keegan will have no choice but to keep in touch with his squard.

• Shearer#1

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM

He won’t sign unless we get quality players in. Aimar’s gone to Benfica, Reyes to Monaco, Arshavin to Spurs, SWP to Pompey. What have KK & Dennis Wise been doing all summer? We should be signing these players. It’s driving me mad!!

• greg

Given

Beye – Faye – Taylor – Enrique

Guthrie – Butt – Gutierrez

Owen – Dukes – Duff

• sirjasontoon

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Look at our front line for Doncaster;

Smith-Ameobi

That is before the season has even kicked off..
    I am staying positive but we need to off load and replace players like these..the squad is threadbare..like me granny’s doormat.

• shearer4pm

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM

duff has also cover left back for us aint he?? if worst does indeed come to worst

given
    beye,taylor,faye,enrique
    guthrie
    milner, n’zogbia
    owen(c)
    martins, viduka

subs:
    harper
    cacapa
    geremi
    butt
    smith
    ameobi 🙁
    barton 🙁 🙁

with two subs could easily change the whole shape of the team for the nitty gritty away games

given
    beye, taylor, faye, enrique
    geremi, guthrie, butt
    milner, n’zogbia
    owen/viduka/martins

now i quite like that, thats all our current players, but we do need more, cus there will be injuries and bail conditions, but id be happy with that to start the season if we are a lil slow off the mark and leave it till the 31st of august, but we more quality in the subs.

• shearer4pm

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:26 PM

missed duff off da subs bench, jus replace jail boy with duff

• LondonToon

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:27 PM

With the news of Oba’s mum’s death, he may well not be ready for the new season which sucks, but put into context, isn’t really that big a deal.

So, minus Martins, I reckon we’ll start with:

Given

Beye Taylor Faye Enrique

Gutierrez Geremi Butt Duff

Owen Smith

Subs:

Harper Cacapa Edgar Guthrie Milner N’Zogbia Ameobi

Don’t think Viduka will be fit. Milner perhaps will start ahead of Geremi. Don’t think Barton will be fit enough either.

Hope we can add a LB, a CB, and a CM.

• 51times

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Owen_10 – This is a Newcastle United blog, what do you expect us to talk about? It’s amazing you know, people whinge when Ed posts lots of transfer rumours and when he doesn’t they still whinge.

• Blue Drag00n

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:36 PM

i hope he scores more, his goals tend to be scored at crucial times as many point out on here.

• Ericles

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Hope you do Michael. Get the goals and lead the team onwards. NUFC and the Toon have had to take some flak recently with the death of two loyal young fans, and now the tragedy of Oba’s mum, not to mention a hostile media. Time to show everybody just whatwe can achieve starting now. We have a small squad but we’ve more balls than anybody else.

• DC Magpie

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Agree with calls to get MO’s contract sorted!

Without European tournaments to attract players MO is one of our few remaining allures for TOP players.

I still think we need to add some steel to our midfield.

It doesn’t look like we can afford Inler 🙁

Anyone know of some cheaper alternatives? either from the championship or abroad?

• Jim

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:57 PM

• OLIVER

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:01 PM

yeah lets build a team round owen.He is small,doesnt link up play, is always injured and i cant remember the last time he scored more than 20 goals in a season. Let alone scoring them for a club that will be struggling if ma doesnt spend.

I can imagine it now. Our new midfield powerhouse (guthrie)alongside the awesome butt will thread balls through all day long. Thats it , build the team round michal owen.

Or we could not.

• Taiwantoon

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:04 PM

not a very good news, the Daily Mail says SWP is about to sign for Pompey.

• adaaaam

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:20 PM

anyone wonder if his contract will say he stays if we get into europe but if not he goes?

• Robert from Serbia

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:24 PM

lets sign Taye Taiwo !!!!One of the best defenders in the world,and he plays on the left back !!!He has powerfull shot from free-kicks too!!!

Sunderland wants him,and he plays for Marsille

• daiv

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:31 PM

The squad is weak and minute. Ed, we have no chance of getting into Europe and any such talk is just fantasy. Any Europe takers out there want a bet?
    This is the weakest NUFC team we have ever had in the Premiership and yet some of us think all is well and we will be challenging for Europe. We’ll be near the bottom after the first few games and then reality will set in. Smith is our striker and will start against Man U. God help us.

• daiv

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Oh and regarding Owen…..
    MA wants him to take a big pay cut and sign a long terrm contract. Or he could run his contract down which has less than a year to run and sign for a club for nothing. They would only have to pay his wages. MA has no ambition for NUFC who will win nothing, so what do you guys think Michael is going to do? he’s a winner and is not stupid. You know the answer don’t you?

• HalftimeBovril

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:43 PM

I believe i’m correct in thinking that if he doesn’t sign a new contract he’ll be free to talk to other clubs in January which is only four months away

• bob marley

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:45 PM

could someone tell me what the legue is for the premierleague official fantasy football thing!!!!
    thanks

• daiv

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:23 PM

The media is not that hostile. Its just telling it how it is. We have let a lot of average players go and signed two players for a couple of bob.We have the smallest squad in the Premiership and to my mind the weakest Newcastle team since the Premiership began. How can the press say nice things about that?

• scott9

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:36 PM

we really need 4 more signing if we want to get in europe a left back centre back and we definatley need another central midfileder and a striker but i suppose a striker is not neccesary but i think one would definatley help as viduka is injured alot and oa might miss the start of the season and smith and ameobi are both s*it

• daiv

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Anybody got any idea who we can afford. I get the impression we are paupers waiting to see who is left after Pompey, Fulham, Villa, Everton and the rest have decided who they want to buy. We’ll buy late because we will be buying the leftovers. Warnock for £2M is typical… but he might be too dear.

• toonarmy08

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:48 PM

anyone know if jonas is playing at doncaster ?real madrid have had a 5.5m bid 4 vdv rejected !!

• ToonKing

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM

no, Jonas, ain’t playing against Doncaster, i don’t think he’ll even play in Mallorca, but we’ll see him 100% against PSV.

• Frankieboy

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM

He needs contract soarted asap cos i feel he will jump ship next season as a free agent.
    Then the “buying” club will fork out a fortune on his wages as no initial layout.
    All the big 4 will be after him in that scenario.
    Anybody back up my fears.

• dick

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:36 PM

more good news, amiobi and smith are our only two strikers available for weekends game. this season is starting to be a nightmare before it has began, I just hope we are good enough to finnish 4th bottom and toon get a buyer with a bit more ambition