Surprising news today in the Mail On Sunday that Newcastle have made a bid for Arsenal’s Swiss International Philippe Senderos.
Philippe Senderos – Newcastle have made decent bid for him?
We have to say immediately that we have no idea whether this story is true, and it is Sunday today and stories are sometimes made up, as we have found out many times, and which Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan has only recently talked about.
The Arsenal manager was said to be stunned when the offer of about Â£4M arrived last Wednesday. That seemed a reasonable offer for the 23 year old, and it has not been rejected as yet by the London club.
The Mail is saying the Arsenal board may hold out for about Â£6M, but it’s their willingness to consider allowing another first-teamer to potentially leave this summer, that will upset both Wenger and the Arsenal fans.
There have so far been four departures of some of their top players, Alexander Hleb, Mathieu Flamini, Gilberto Silva and Jens Lehmann, this summer.
Philippe is on the fringe of the first team but has still played over 60 times for Arsenal and over 30 times for Switzerland.
But the thing that will worry Newcastle fans is that Senderos is apt to make costly mistakes, and Wenger seems to agree that the Swiss International struggles at times.
There will be memories of Titus Bramble that will no doubt come to Newcastle fans’ minds with Senderos, and he may not be the most popular of choices at center-back.
The Mail is reporting that Wenger wants to keep the player, but that his directors believe selling at the right price would represent good business for the London club.
They are also reporting that Arsenal are in turmoil, and the usual nonsense we get from the gossip press, but we’ll not venture into that, which we think is just rubbish.
Senderos, though, could also be a good addition to Kevin Keegan’s squad, as he is still young at 23 years old, and has lots of experience for both Arsenal and Switzerland, and we have to believe Kevin must like what he sees in the player.
Keegan has been an excellent judge of players in the past, and if this report is true, we have to believe Kevin thinks he can rid him of the mistakes he seems to keep making.
After Newcastle’s 1-0 defeat at Doncaster yesterday afternoon, when 10 first teamers were missing for on reason or another Kevin said:
“I’m expecting one or two new faces to come in,”
“We only have one right-back and one leftback.”
“We do need one or two additions and things will start to happen in the next week to 10 days.”
This will also please the Newcastle fans that there is indeed significant work going on behind the scenes to bring in around 5 top players before the end of August.
We’ll run a vote on whether our readers think Senderos would be a good buy at around Â£4M. We also have a poll running on whether Michael Owen should take a pay cut and remain at Newcastle.
Comments very welcome.