Keegan To Decide Whether To Sign Bassong For £1.5M

Kevin Keegan will talk with Director of Football Dennis Wise this week, before finally deciding whether to sign Newcastle United French trialist Sebastien Bassong.

seb-bassong-2.jpg

Seb Bassong – is he worth £1.5M?

At only £1.5M, the Metz defender would seem a decent bargain for the club, but he is already back in France today, which seems a little surprising to us.

Dennis Wise and scout Jeff Vetere were both at Doncaster’s Keepmoat Stadium on Saturday to  watch Bassong in action and play the full 90 minutes in the 1-0 defeat by Doncaster Rovers.

There was some confusion at the game on Saturday, because the Doncaster club had three trialists playing, and they did not want to divulge their identity, so there were no formal announcements on either team – quite bizarre to say the least.

Keegan emerged after the game and said:

“I thought Sebastien did very well, and he now goes back to Metz.”

“We’ve got a chance to sign him, and I’ll talk with Dennis, and just see where we go from here.”

“That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match. He’s a nice lad. We had him all week. He’s in the French Under-21s so he’s no mug – he can play.”

Bassong was born in Paris just over 22 years ago, and prefers to play on the left side of the defense.

He has made more than 70 appearances for Metz, and can also play at left-back, so he could be a good capture, for a reasonable fee, for the club.

We hope we can sign the youngster, because he seems a good player already, and we feel would do well under Kevin Keegan.

What do you think?

Comments very welcome.

• toonoot

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Left sided. Could do worse at this price.

• 51times

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:10 PM

I think he’d be worth it for that price, although I’m not bothered either way really.

• Andy1

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:13 PM

If Keegan thinks he is good enough we should get him. Not many players cost this little in the current market so it could be a real bargain.

• Black and White Blood

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Why does Keegan need to discuss this with the dwarf…. Surely, as manager Keegan decides if he stays or goes..?

• domtoon

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Lol in keeping with the journalistic norms, you do pick some good pictures Ed.

If KK deems him good enough to be in the squad going into next season, then we should stop the beating of bush and sign him asap.

• Mikey24

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Get him for this much, Collochini (spelling?) for 8mil and we have a pretty dam good deal methinks!! Might actually give us a bit of strength in defense for once!

Just hope whatever gems KK/Wise has up their sleeves we get the deals done sooner rather than later!

• Danny

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:26 PM

“Have a talk with Dennis…”
    Do we have the money? -Yes!
    Do we want him? -Looks like KK does, yes!
    Who’s the best persuader in the camp? -KK
    Who’s the man you want to speak to when signing for a club? -The manager

Bah, i don’t like having Dennis in this type of role, i dont like anyone in that type of role.
    It complicates what should be easy. Find the player you want, get the money out of the bag, and go get him. To many links in the chain..

• SAM

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:34 PM

If we buy the Argentinian then I doubt we will go for this lad.

Am I alone in feeling this could be a decent season for us!

Our squad had huge changes last season and I think will benefit from the experience and also KK special touch.
    Goalkeepers – well sorted (although there lack of height means we are exposed for crosses – which is sometimes blamed on the CBs)
    Full backs – Good left and right back who can both join the attack. Biggest problem is we need backup. But thank goodness Carr and championship players like Ramage are no longer considered for our starting 11. We now have the best fullback combination I can remember in 10-20 years.
    Centre Backs – My feeling is we have had so many CBs in the last 10-20 years that the truth is they cannot all be bad players and maybe it’s the rest of the team who leave them exposed. My biggest regret is that we didn’t get Woody back. But if we buy this Argentinian then just maybe KK can get a good partnership working.
    Midfield – If KK can get Zog playing that’s equivalent to a fantastic new signing. Milner has massive potential (hence why Villa and Lpool are sniffing) and again I reckon KK can help him realise his talent. With Butt, Milner, Zog, Spiderman and backup Duff, Barton etc then it looks competitive. Biggest concern is Butt doesn’t have the speed/stamina for 90 minutes.
    Attack – Owen, Oba, Viduka and to be honest I prefer Shola to Smith (but it’s not a big issue as they are only 4th choice).
    The key is for KK to get the players to play for each other and to have a style of play so everybody knows what they should be doing.
    If you don’t agree then please tell me when our first 11 was stonger (interested to know how many seasons you need to go back). {Please don’t talk about Bellamy or Dyer cos they never scored many goals and were always getting injured}

• Richard

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Other good news today, we have now agreed a fee with Plymouth for young Aaron Spear, I was wondering how long this would take but its finally looking positive.

Its looking like we are going to get him for £250,000, so this looks like a massive signing for the future.

For once, good work Mr Wise

• Davies

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Sign him up. It can’t hurt can it?

• Matt Lacey

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Left footed, young, pacy, sounds like he had a nice composed game on Saturday, fans seemed to love him – sounds like a good bit of business to me!

• dick

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I notice doncaster had 3 trialist playing as well, maybe we should be looking at them as rovers were the better side

• MattyDread

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:47 PM

SAM – I’m kinda with you on this. We could defo do with a couple of signings in defence. Someone like Collocini would be perfect – good enough for the starting XI at centre half and can also cover right back (I say someone like Collocini because it’s distinctly unlikely we’ll sign him). We could also do with someone like Bassong who can cover both centre half and left back. Add to that a shiny new striker to replace Ameobi and Smith, who should both be on their way out (looking unlikely tho), and we’re good to go.

• Neil Snowdon

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Dear Ed,

I saw Bassong at the weekend and I was impressed by his composure on the ball, apart from one piece of harmless tomfoolery in our penalty area. I noticed him talking to and directing Enrique a lot.

I expect his club insisted he return and KK can certainly take other opinions. Plus the fact that DW et al may have other irons in the fire.

Remember, we haven’t seen him up against a pacy forward. He probably didn’t train against Oba. He may also need to adjust to the physicality of the EPL.

Cacapa had a sound game by the way. Duff huffed and puffed to little effect this week.

Our fans thought it a wheeze to chant ‘Donkey manure’ for about ten mins as if the Keepmoat faithful had not heard it a million times before.

Regards,

Neil

• Ericles

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Agree with you Black and White Blood. Kevin’s comments made about Wise and Co to do with Owen’s contract and getting other players worried me. Surely players we have, or do not have, should be KK’s decision nobody else’s. Wise was not a wise choice in my book.

• Micky Toon

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:52 PM

What’s going on today? Third time I’ve tried to post in this story and I keep getting CPU overload or summat.

Anyway, what I said was that hopefully this guy can be one of those cheapo French buys that Wenger is so good a finding. Perhaps we have a megastar in the making here. Worth finding out @ £1.5m.

• geordieboy

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Considering the amount of money wasted on crap signings in previous seasons 1.5 mill. could be a masterstroke!!!!!

• Maggie

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Sam – agree with every point you make.

Neil – good to hear rational comments as ever.

I worry when I read so many negative and often hysterical comments – especially from our players and the likes of les Ferdinand. I fear we may be putting even more pressure on our recruiters and making their jobs much harder. They could be held to ransom by agents if they feel we are desperate.

I’m very curious now as to whether KK will play his ‘first team’ in Mallorca and in the home friendlies or continue to blood youngsters.

• Micky Toon

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Maggie – The problem with people like Sir Les commenting is that he doesn’t know much more than we do. He is still an outsider to the day to day goings on at the club.
    When our current squad talks it is time to take notice, same as when any of the none playing staff and the owner speak. Anything else is just hearsay and best guess work.

• MattyDread

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Micky Toon – you also can’t rely on the media to present these “quotes” in the correct context.

• liamtoonbirchy

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:06 PM

if we sign bassong i still want warnock to sign for us too. bassong can cover centre half and warnock and enrique fight for left back.

With hopefully collocini coming in to partner faye or taylor at centre back.

• Danny

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:08 PM

So Spears is almost in now, thats great, anyone heard about Mark Crosas??
    Barcelona youngster who was on loan at Lyon.
    A fantastic passer of the ball and an attackin midfielder.
    Looks like a real star of the future.

• DC

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:13 PM

He looked good vs Doncaster, was only a friendly, but if hes impressed Keegan aswell, then £1.5million seems like a bargain, especially for players nowadays. Worth the risk.

• Bingo wing

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM

SAM- I agree with you on everything except one thing. jose enrique is nowere near good enough for the premier league. un confident, cant run, doesnt track back, cant tackle. all of a sudden everyone loves him! but i cant see why he hasnt done nowt nd heis absoloutely SHOCKING

but neways yer we should deffo sign bassong with a small squad, he will only benefit!

• OLIVER

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Would be a good signing for a championship side. Not a prem team looking to get into the top half of the table.

• NUFCAl

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:37 PM

This for me is well worth it. 1.5 million is virtually nothing and he can play at both left back and centre back, and that versatility is something we could really use.

Get him signed up I say.

• 51times

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:38 PM

Bingo wing – Have you ever watched football before, let alone watched Jose play?

• Chris

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Must be happening to a few Mickey Toon, it’s a bit slow on here today. It’s happened to me a few times.

• Chris

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Ignore that last comment from me Mickey Toon. I was answering your comment 16.

• simon winham

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:38 PM

at 1.5 mil he will be a bargian signing

• AdamCF

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:08 AM

If he fits the criteria then sign him up.
    The most they can lose is the 1.5mil they’ve spent.
    I wonder what Joey B would be worth on the open market?

• bennufc

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM

bartons value on th market is abt 50p a few tap washers a clothes peg and a copy of derbys 07/08 season review