Proud Geordie And Newcastle Fan Killed in Afghanistan

We have tragic news that we have been informed of today, that a proud Geordie and Newcastle United fan, Kenneth Rowe, was recently murdered with his sniffer dog, while serving in Afghanistan.

kenneth-rowe-_781761f.jpg

Kenneth Rowe – with Sasha – on duty recently in Afghanistan

Lance Corporal Ken Rowe, a British Army dog handler, a proud Geordie and Newcastle United fan, was tragically killed in southern Afghanistan last Thursday.

Kenneth was due to fly home the day before he died, but the Newcastle born soldier had insisted on staying, because there was no replacement in place, his commanding officer said.

Lance Corporal Kenneth Rowe, 24, of the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, and his explosives search dog, Sasha, were doing their job protecting soldiers from roadside bombs in the Sangin area of Helmand province last week, when both were killed in a Taliban ambush.

kenneth-rowe-2861955.jpg

Lance Corporal Kenneth Rowe

Major Stuart McDonald, Ken’s company commander, said:

“He was scheduled to leave on July 23 but was concerned about the lack of ammunition and explosives search cover.”

Rowe, who was said by his friends to be a proud Geordie from Newcastle, lobbied his unit to allow him and Sasha to stay on the front lines.

Major McDonald continued:

“This unselfish action epitomised his professionalism and dedication to his job.”

Rowe’s parents, Lyn and Kenneth, and his two sisters have been too distressed to make any formal comment.

Rowe was the 112th member of the British armed forces to be killed in Afghanistan since 2001.

This is a tragic death and we are so very sorry to hear the terrible news, for any soldier that dies in the service of their country.

And we are also proud as fellow Geordies, that there are youngsters like Kenneth, who are so brave and willing to give their lives in the protection of others.

To us he is an everlasting hero.

Our deepest condolences and heartfelt wishes go out to his family and friends.

• Dave

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:23 PM

Rest in Peace mate.

A true Hero.

• normski1930z

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:25 PM

respect due to ya boss….rip.

• sean667

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:30 PM

RIP

• GeordieJamie

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:30 PM

Stand down fella,

From a fellow Geordie Serviceman

• R.D NUFC 4eva

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM

R|. I. P

• figsdad

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM

R.i.p

wtf not letting him go home cause they didnt have a replacement..

bloody dog died as well wish they would just pull out the troops in iraq and Afghanistan.

• Chris

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM

RIP

• Davies

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM

RIP. I’m sure those you leave behind are proud of your bravery and selflessness.

• figsdad

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM

sorry i mean he insisted on staying cause they didnt get a replacment..

R.i.P…

• courtinio

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:37 PM

rest in peace mate, served the nation proud.

• Julio Geordio

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:37 PM

RIP mucka

From another Geordie squaddie

• Leo

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:37 PM

you all are doing us proud out their, RIP mate

it feels like us geordies are having alot of heartache at the time being with such storys appearing, to see the honor of our geordie in this circumstance his family should be proud of him

should be a special seat from up their to see us play at st james park

• Nathan

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:38 PM

Why is this news on here? A SOLDIER DIED OMG, I really don’t care, this is a football blog, soldiers die all the time, you don’t care about them then, but you do when they support Newcastle?

• normski1930z

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:41 PM

nathan get a f**king life mate you f**king strap on…

• faustino

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Shut it you little cretin. Alot of people have a lot of reasons to care about this, not least the soldier 8 posts up.

All the best to the family and to the fallen! RIP

• Ross

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Here Nathan, go find a dictionary and come back to me with the definition of the word respect, you f*ckin prat.
    RIP mate, far too much bad news coming out the north east atm. make a few signings and give this lad somethin to smile about from the best seat in the house.

• Spyro

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Nathan your scum, R I P Kenneth

• Toon1978

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:47 PM

Thoughts go out to him and his family R.I.P. mate.

• Tom4Nufc

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:47 PM

R.I.P.

Nathan, engage brain before you type.

• Oga

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:47 PM

RIP

• HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM

God bless!! thoughts go out to his family!! R.I.P

• Patrick

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:52 PM

RIP

• JonGoodwyn

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:52 PM

RIP 🙁

• DanToon

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:54 PM

Nathan your a f*@king tw@ go n’ boil your head!

RIP Kenneth, your a credit to Britain!

• Janice

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:56 PM

I don’t think you guys get Nathan’s point. It’s not so much that he’s being a dick, but more about why should it matter that this particular soldier is dead when many soldiers have died in the war. The fact that this particular soldier gets a mention and loads of sympathy just because he’s a Geordie fan is quite stupid. Personally it’s hard for me to feel genuinely sad about his death

• domtoon

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:57 PM

My prayers and thoughts are with the Geordie life lost, his family and friends.

A truly selfless act lobbying to stay on when he could simply have gone home for the Summer. If only there were more people like Ken about eh?

Rest in Peace bro.

• Black and White Blood

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:58 PM

This is such sad news, Nick informed us about this the other day. My thoughts go to his family at the sad time. Look up the definition of Hero, it simply reads; Kenneth Rowe.

I’m so proud to call myself British, knowing that these brave men and women are serving Queen and Country, risking everything, in order to protect our civil liberties – All you ‘Do Gooders’ hiding behind the “Human Rights Act” should be disgusted with yourselves, you are a stain on our society. Brave men like this, losing their lives protecting you and I, yet all you can do is object about things such as prisoners rights, or the rights of burglars on your property – it’s a disgrace.

Kenneth I hope you’re having a ball up there watching us all panicking about MA spending is cash…! I’ll be drinking to you tonight my friend, sleep well, we’ll see you soon.!

• Black and White Blood

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Ed – Can you please block the IP address of the user ‘Nathan’

PLEASE, would be grateful of further support – thanks lads.

• domtoon

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:01 PM

Nathan man if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all. Your comment was uncalled for.

And don’t think I don’t know where you’re coming from because I am often cynical about deaths pumped up in the press as well over the horrible lives being lost every second in the poverty stricken, terrible parts of the world with bad things constantly happening.

These feelings are often softened however when I remember – I’m a human with a heart. It is relevant because he was a Geordie and we are all Geordies. If you don’t like, don’t read it and don’t post – no need to go upsetting people man, is there?

• Alex

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:01 PM

RIP
    Respect to a brave man

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Nathan you insensitive little prat. RIP Kenneth.

• Piers

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:02 PM

RIP ….only the good die young

• normski1930z

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:03 PM

here here lads i hope that every toon fan that comes on here will never ever speak and completely ignore everthing nathan spouts….ed ban him now….

• Alex

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:05 PM

ED i second black and white bloods post kick Nathan off the site

• beye the great

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:09 PM

how heartless can you get nathanwhether this is about newcastle or not there are more important things going on in the world and this particular person happened to be a newcastle fan he may have been a very pasionate newcastle fan and was from what it seems from eds article a very passionate newcastle fan and was one of his main loves though i may have misinterpreted it but that was the reason for announcing it on this article also it is people like you nathan and i know it is a cliche but it is people like you nathan that is wrong with the world and that soldier that died has more respect than you can even begin to comprehend and if i have never said this before as i am not easily offended but if i was ed i would strongly considder banning him

he seems as though he was an extremely brave and honourable man to refuse a chance to go home because there was no one else to take his place meaning it would be more dangerous for others if he was gone i s the absolute definition of selflessness and courage

R.I.P

• Nathan

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:09 PM

Whoa, I wasn’t trying to be harsh or anything, I thought I made a valid point, that normally you wouldn’t care, but because he is a Newcastle fan and I don’t put RIP, I should be banned for life from this blog. Put down the pitchforks…

• AngerOfTheNorth

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Poor lad. Good on him for sticking by his unit even when he knew what the consequences could be. Rest In Peace.

Not sure what it has to do with the Human Rights Act though…

• MAG PIE

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Respect Geordie

• Danish_Magpie

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM

First and foremost, R.I.P. to this brave young man. Sounds like a proper character, and what a man for standing up to fight a very cruel regime.

Secondly, let me just comment on a few of the posts here. Let me be clear, I found Nathan’s comment as insensitive as everyone else did, but I think (if you filter through his bluntness and perhaps ignorance) he maybe raises a half-valid point: This is indeed a football blog and if we were to mourn every loss of life in the service of Britain (or wherever we are all from) then it’d take up most of the page. I realize this young man was a Geordie, and therefore my point is a bit over-simplified, but I think this may have been the point Nathan wanted to raise. Personally, I do not think this blog has been over-the-top with personal/non-football articles thus far, but I would like it to remain quite limited like it has been. This is a NUFC blog after all.

Secondly, more in response to Black and White Blood: Very valid points mate, and you are truly entitled to your own opinions. I do think, however, that we should try to limit political talk on here, as people are likely to have passionate and very differing views. Someone might respond to you suggesting the need for oversight of the armed forces’ activities so we do not see repeats of Abu Ghraib-like scenarios and they may have valid points too.

I suppose my overarching messages are:
    -Deepest condolences to this brave young man’s family
    -Let’s keep this Newcastle United fooball blog about exactly that: Newcastle United and football.

• normski1930z

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:13 PM

nathan i would quite happily pichfork you mate i lost a very good friend in basra and it is very close to my heart….. get a life and think before you speak.