Geremi Already Super Fit So Early In Pre-Season

Geremi, our 29-year-old Cameroon International was granted an extended summer break by Kevin Keegan after his involvement in the World Cup qualifiers in June.

geremi-2.jpg

Geremi – already super fit

And it was really good to see him thrown straight back into the Newcastle starting line-up for Saturday’s friendly at Doncaster Rovers, and it shows just how fit the former Real Madrid and Chelsea player is, so early in pre-season for him.

He was also made captain for the day by Keegan.

Speaking to nufcTV today, Geremi has explained that he was more than pleased to make a quick return to Newcastle having only just completed his international duty some four weeks ago:

“I’m glad to be back and it was fine coming straight back into the team,”  “The result was disappointing but the important thing was to get some minutes under our belt.”

“It was a good workout, especially because the weather was like it is in Africa.” “I’ve been working very hard since I came back on Monday but I’m lucky because I’ve been playing with my national team and I’m in good shape already.”

“I only had three weeks rest and that’s why I’m able to come straight back into the team.” “It was also very nice to be made captain again. The gaffer knows me and he knows that I’m experienced and can lead the team.”

Geremi will be with the squad this afternoon when they fly to Mallorca ahead of their participation in this weekend’s Summer Cup.

Newcastle will play Bundesliga club Hertha Berlin at the ONO Estadia on Friday night, before facing our hosts Real Mallorca on Sunday night.

The versatile and experienced midfielder believes the pre-season trip will be invaluable in building team spirit before the Premier League’s first game at Manchester United two weeks come Sunday.

Geremi continued:

“It’s important for team spirit and bonding before the start of the season,” “It’s a good test for us and it’s a trip we’re looking forward to it.”

“The aim for the season is to do better than we did last year and that’s why we have been training very hard.”

We look to Geremi to have a great season, with his experience and guile being well used by our very under-rated manager Kevin Keegan.

The only player now missing is Abdoulaye Faye, who was also playing World Cup football for Senegal during the summer.

We would expect Faye to be returning next week sometime, after a well deserved rest.

• filthy mag

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Woohoo first!

I like Geremi, but I am not sure how he will fit in to KK’s plans

• sirjasontoon

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:55 AM

Hope he shows more quality than last season.

• LoonyToon

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:57 AM

his legs have gone a little however he is good to have around the squad and plays in a couple of positions which is handy….has a good attitude that is nice to see

• neozero

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:57 AM

hopefully he fits somewhere… provided plenty of assist during the good spell last season… But have to stop taking freekicks and corners

• perry

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:02 AM

geremi is a good player we need experience if we are bringing in young talent , where is martins ?

dose any one have any news about martins ?

• sirjasontoon

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:03 AM

I agree his corners and free kicks are pretty poor as well.

• tom tomb

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:08 AM

29!! He must be 59 the way he runs!

• tom tomb

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Some loon on here advocates him as a back up RB. Can you imagine him against any premiership winger? Good squad player- thats it.

• Davies

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM

There was a statistic that floated around last season that we didn’t lose a game Geremi played in. I don’t know if it lasted until the end of the season, but he was a big part of the 4-3-1-2 that got us away from the relegation zone.

He does look like his legs are a little worn out, but there’s obviously more to his game than speed.

I like the fella. He’s not an obvious choice for the chop for me.

• LoonyToon

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:14 AM

you dont have to be lightening quick to be a decent RB…Nobby proved that one…however the fact some wingers may run quicker backwards may pose a slight problem 😉

• LoonyToon

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Parry…..looks like Martins maybe missing at the start of the season…

• filthy mag

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Is that due to funeral arrangements?

• sirjasontoon

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:19 AM

LoonyToon do you mind not talking about martins on a geremi thread practice what you preach.

• ACD

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Martins will be here for the start of the season as I saw him at Tiger Tiger on monday night lol

• sirjasontoon

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:19 AM

LoonyToon..only messin let’s call a truce : )

• Bingo wing

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:22 AM

god help us if hes captin when owen is injured

• sirjasontoon

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:22 AM

That lee ryder whatever has Martins in the squad for mallorca

Dunno if thats a mistake or not.

• A geordiedoonsooth

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Changing the subject slightly I see a Poll in the Sunderland Echo says that 80% of sad mackem b*stards say they’ll finish higher than usnext season. If that happens I show my arse in Fenwicks window.

• LoonyToon

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:30 AM

lol….watch your mouth Surj……

whay aye fella…love ya…

Very much doubt he will be in the squad Surj…Keegan said he thought he was gonna miss the first game….could do with the little fella…infact we probably could do with the big fella from up top to give us a hand aswell..lol

• MAG PIE

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Geremi

Please practise corners

BEAT THE FIRST MAN YOU *&*(&(***&!!!!

• dick

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:34 AM

spuds are close to signing bently, how I wish toon would put in late bid to scubber deal, but dont think it will happen

• Danny

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:41 AM

I think Geremi will work as cover for the places he can play, rarely a starter in my opinion, but we’ll see.

• Leo

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:46 AM

martins will not be in newcastle to whoever said they saw him in town, have a little respect

• Rob78

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:02 AM

Why not use Geremi at rightback?

• bowburnmag

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:22 AM

I think if he’d been kept off set-pieces he’d be a lot higher in people’s estimations. Including mine. That’s what has made him look a bad player. Keep him off set plays and he’ll be good to have around and is a good utility player to call on. Little or no point in getting rid of this sort of bloke from your club.

• sirjasontoon

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Love you too Loonytoon..i was well narked yesterday..think its this transfer market turning me into mr angry haha.

Seems a bit quick for martins to be back hope he is though…as the tournament is based on goals scored so you get a point for every goal and three points for a win…think we will struggle to get any with smith and shola.

• sirjasontoon

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Leo maybe it was mick martin and they got mixed up…Zico Martin !!

• Obafan

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:03 PM

You can say whatever you want about Geremi, but he was very important last season (esp under KK). Ok his set plays were not good, but I think he was the only one to score from a direct free kick last season (at Spurs); that says enough. The set pieces last year were awful (no matter who took them).

Geremi was also capable of getting a few quality assists (remember the cross for Owen’s goal against Sunderland).
    I really rate him and (like Duff) he can be very important for our team next season.

• Teddy

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM

his freekicks and corners are simply wasteful, ive never seen one of his corners clear the first man. he reminds me of fat boy steven carr.

i really dont like him, i bet he does stuff for the team but id rather have a more exciting player in there.

• HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:34 PM

Teddy – totally agree would prefer having a younger more creative player to replace him

whats happening with fulham they seem to be going on hyper drive buying?? there after gomez at £15million MA, WISE AND KK come on get him in at NUFC!!

• neeraj

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM

hopes he starts running now………..

still feel we need an attacking midfielder

• Luke

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:41 PM

If when I watch the man yoo game and I see Geremi taking the first corner only to hit the first man, I swear it’s over for me. It drives me mad. He might be super fit and he can run all day… at a mile an hour. I’m sorry but pace is so important these days. We talk about his guile, but we have to be looking at other people who are more of a complete package. I’d like to keep him around and for me he is obvious back up for Beye. We can’t start the season with him in the first 11.

• Ben K

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Maybe he can’t run past defenders and his corners are infuriating for everyone (let Oba take them, at least the defense will have no idea where they’re going!) but he gets stuck in and is extremely committed in defense.
    My biggest issue is that he gives the ball away A LOT. Well Geremi gets caught in possession and Butt gives the ball away, the only player we had who was careful in possession, aside from Beye, was one Joey Barton, who can actually pick a pass quite well. Welcome back Joey!

• Cooper

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM

yeah i agree barton is actually one of our best midfielders – he will be even more importnat for us now that emre has gone

• toon toon....

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM

geremi is useless at at dead ball situations yet he always takes the free kick or corners! ive seen better sunday league players who are able to take set pieces more consistently. he is no more than a squad player and it was no surprise when Sir Bobby Robson told of when Mourinho said that geremi’s legs had gone. pretty evident last season when he looked slow and lacked any sharpness. not good enough if we want to progress next season as far as im concerned.

• oga

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:17 PM

God damn Geremi

• Ben K

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:11 PM

Maybe Joey is more effective because opposing players know that if they cross him he will beat the pulp out of them or spike ’em where it counts

• clinta

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:02 AM

I like geremi and i don’t know how people on here can doubt him, when comparing him to other players we have?

look at the mans experience and what his done in football! he probably won’t start a lot of games this season, but will be valuable cover in a few positions and is a brilliant man to have around the training ground and locker room.