Keegan Refuses To Be DownBeat About Barton Situation


As we reported yesterday the FA have rather surprisingly decided to charge Joey Barton for his attack on Ousmane Dabo, when both were at Manchester City.

kevin-keegan-234.jpg

Kevin Keegan – blow with potential Barton ban

But Keegan stayed upbeat today, and set his sights on winning the Mallorca Cup over the weekend.

The FA’s decision to charge Barton apparently came as a complete surprise to the club yesterday afternoon, when they first heard the news.

News today and yesterday, suggesting a 15-match ban for the controversial midfielder, has been deliberately leaked by sources at the FA.

Barton is expected to appeal and ask for a personal hearing, but if a 15-match ban does turn out to go into effect, it will be a big blow to both the player and the club.

How many times does Barton get to be punished for what he did, very bad as it no doubt was?

A potential Barton ban is just one reason we think Newcastle will need to bring in another central midfield player, before the end of the month.

Of course Newcastle will also be paying the price, even though the player was at Manchester City when the altercation took place.

A difficult one for the English FA to explain – but logic has never been their strong point, and we are not fans, as you may suspect.

This is the lot that appointed Steve McClaren as England manager, when absolutely nothing in his record pointed to deserving any such job.

They also had the audacity to request an interview with Guus Hiddink, to see if he measured up to the England job, and Guus rightly told them where they could go.

They are so out of touch with reality, that it’s embarrassing.

Barton has until August 13th to respond to the charge, and the Newcastle club yesterday confirmed Joey will seek a personal hearing, and the case will be heard by an independent regulatory commission on a date still to be set.

But Kevin is nothing if not upbeat (and good for him) and he continued:

“I have always tried to win every competition I have entered, and the Mallorca Summer Cup will be no different.”

As we said, Kevin refuses to be downbeat about anything, and we’re so pleased to have him back a Newcastle again.

We also think he could still shock a lot of people next season – we hope so anyway.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

32 comments so far

  • Dondatta13

    Aug 1, 2008 at 1:51 PM

    Comment #1

    Its not Joey Barton who will be getting punished by a big ban… its NUFC. How can that be right?

    0
  • sas

    Aug 1, 2008 at 1:53 PM

    Comment #2

    Nail on the head there Dondatta13

    0
  • hitman

    Aug 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM

    Comment #3

    if barton gets a 15 game ban,we might as well just give him the boot,get it over and done with.

    0
  • ObaFan2

    Aug 1, 2008 at 1:55 PM

    Comment #4

    FA’s a joke but as you say NUFC will be paying for it again.
    Good for KK but wouldn’t expect anythng less from him 🙂

    0
  • Paul

    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:01 PM

    Comment #5

    We knew what we were buying when we signed this guy. People say it is unfair Newcastle suffer but so many said this would happen when he became a united player.

    It’s not an attempt to punish the club, although it will an effect, but the FA will see this as an individuals punishment on a player whose temperment was well known to the club’s heirachy.

    0
  • Dondatta13

    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:01 PM

    Comment #6

    Surely they (the FA) are just doing this to prove a moral point to NUFC (you should have sacked him but didnt, so we will ban him).

    If anything they should charge MAN CITY for failing to control there players!

    This is between the F.A, Joey Barton and Man City. Any repercussion that effects NUFC could and indeed should find the FA in court!

    0
  • sirjasontoon

    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:02 PM

    Comment #7

    Got to stand by our Man…get on this disgusting site and stand up for joey this is some of the most vindictive trash journalism I have seen in ages.

    http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2008/08/01/vote-should-joey-barton-be-allowed-to-play-again

    0
  • Davies

    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:13 PM

    Comment #8

    Already done it Sir Jason, if it’s the thing that calls him a vile waste of blood and organs.

    The sad fact of the matter is that we were well aware of the baggage that comes with this player when we bought him. I still blame fat Sam for this.

    I think it’s apalling that the FA took this long to act though. I know they say it’s because they wanted to wait for the outcome of the courtcase, but they are entitled to have their own hearings.

    0
  • roo

    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:15 PM

    Comment #9

    baton deserves a 7th chance. final one mind.

    0
  • sirjasontoon

    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:17 PM

    Comment #10

    Good man yeah that is the one..terrible sensationalist trip !

    The way I see it the FA should back off as he has served his time.

    0
  • SuperShearer

    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:26 PM

    Comment #11

    I’m sure from a legal stand point we would be within our right to demand some of the transfer fee back from City for this punishment. After all This punishment is regarding the Dabo incident and has nothing to do with NUFC. Barton served his time for the incident when he was with us therefore to ban him would be to punish us, and us alone. After all if he is banned he is still going to get paid isn’t he?

    0
  • Wallsend Will

    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM

    Comment #12

    Joey Barton was an employee of Man City at the time of the “incident”. His Supervisor (Stewart Pearce, now an employee of the FA.) witnessed the “incident”. The employer has a duty of care and no doubt would have dealt with it internally under the club’s disciplinary procedure.

    However as I understand it, the injured employee in this case(Dabo),wanted Barton punished more and reported the matter to the police, who took up the case. The rest is history as they say.

    Why the FA want to get involved now, God only knows. Strictly this is case of an employer failing in their duty of care towards all their employees. To provide sufficient supervision and control as is necessary to ensure no one gets hurt during training. A Risk Analysis should have revealed the likelihood of such flare ups and the correct degree of supervision applied. (Like looking after kids in the play ground possibly)

    If the FA want get involved in should Man City who they go after, not Joey Barton and certainly not Newcastle United.

    0
  • Charlie N'Dogbia

    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM

    Comment #13

    I’m sorry but this is getting silly, Barton is a thug, we all know it and if he was anywhere else we’d be slating him too. I know he has served his sentence and I’m sure he is remorseful but the guy never learns, he’s been up to this kind of d’ckheaded sh’t for years. I blame BSA for his outright naivity in thinking he was some kind of pacifier. Sack BArton – he’s not even that good.

    0
  • WesToon

    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:40 PM

    Comment #14

    Over 7 million hits on your site Ed!!!
    Nice work there mate

    0
  • SAM

    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:57 PM

    Comment #15

    Last comment claims the FA should more likely go after Man City. There is some truth to this but ultimately it is the player – which EPL team can anticipate and make plans for such reckless behaviour.

    I would expect that NUFC have made some provision for this ban as part of the original tranfer contract. For example the contract should include ‘the Seller (Man City) to pay in full the players wages during any period the player is not eligible to play for the Buying club (Us) due to reasons directly associated with the incident/allegation regarding Dabo, specifically to include FA restrictions such as bans/sanctions and court sentances such as prison terms/freedom of movement restrictions/community service obligations.”

    0
  • Chicken

    Aug 1, 2008 at 3:01 PM

    Comment #16

    A lot of people have commented saying that NUFC knew full well about the Dabo incident before we signed him.

    What they knew was what Joey Barton told them – that he was innocent. He here is on national telly telling everyone that he dun nuffin wrong.

    http://uk.truveo.com/Inside-Sport-Joey-Barton/id/1609485659

    If he dun nuffin wrong then why did he plead guilty?

    We should never have signed the filthy, lying scumbag. We shouldn’t be standing by him now. I hope the FA throw the book at him.

    0
  • JOeT

    Aug 1, 2008 at 3:05 PM

    Comment #17

    sick of hearing about this to be honest

    0
  • daiv

    Aug 1, 2008 at 3:06 PM

    Comment #18

    We bought him knowing about the court case and potential FA charge if found guilty so we can hardly complain if the FA want to follow it up. he’s a total yob and we would not really care less if we had good midfield cover but we haven’t so we are concerned about any ban weakening the club.

    0
  • daiv

    Aug 1, 2008 at 3:07 PM

    Comment #19

    Ed
    KK looks downbeat to me. You need another picture!

    0
  • laff

    Aug 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM

    Comment #20

    Why would the FA not follow up this unacceptable behaviour.
    Yes its Bartons fault…yes he has recieved a 4 month suspended sentance, but in most companies he would be sacked. It therefore quite right that the FA do their job.
    NUFC cannot complain either, a hefty discount was included in Bartons transfer fee, because no other club were stupid enough to touch him
    NUFC paid thier money and now need to stand by their decision….

    0
  • daiv

    Aug 1, 2008 at 3:13 PM

    Comment #21

    Wallsend Will
    Total rubbish. How do you risk assess or prevent two players on a training ground on opposing teams who square up to each other and the fight is over in 5 seconds. Remember Dyer and Bowyer in a real game. How do you prevent one walking upto the other and headbutting him? You are living in fantasy land.

    0
  • HAMMY14

    Aug 1, 2008 at 3:22 PM

    Comment #22

    The FA is right to charge Barton but a match ban isnt the correct way as NUFC is getting punished and we cant be held accountble for his actions at MCFC. But in fairness to the FA that we should have sacked him as his second chance came at MCFC and he blew that big time

    0
  • Nick Dryden

    Aug 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM

    Comment #23

    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/peter-bills-english-football-has-no-values-of-.htmlncy-882968.html

    Excellent article

    Why can’t we just put our hands and take responsibility. So many people want to blame the FA, the Southern media etc.

    We have a whole underclass of violent feral chavs who get away with murder with our pathetic judicial system. 4 months suspended is an absolute disgrace. No way has this lout done his time.

    KK was my god, now I feel nothing but a huge let down to all those youngsters who desperately need decent role models, not pathalogical nutters

    0
  • BILLY - B

    Aug 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM

    Comment #24

    Fat Sam and NU new the situation when they bought the thug. That J.B. was going to court for a serious offence and that there was a big possibilety that he would go to jail for potentialy a long time.
    the F.A. obviousley had to wait to see the outcome of the court case until they could do anything. So now he has been found guilty and been released from jail on a different case they can now act. if i had a say with the FA his regastration would be suspended indefinatley

    0
  • daiv

    Aug 1, 2008 at 4:09 PM

    Comment #25

    Anybody think Smith will ever score a competitive goal or that when he gets one he will get a lot more. Could he be the answer to our striking problem at the moment?

    0
  • Lacedaemonian

    Aug 1, 2008 at 4:47 PM

    Comment #26

    Chicken you are as bad as these cockney hacks spazzing nonsense into the dull wet ether. Cant believe you made me watch that video. You are a liar mate. I disregard your words from this point on.

    He never said he did nothing. He said the incident was nothing, something he had seen several times on the training pitch in his career. He was simply playing down the incident as being unusual and only specific to him.

    And you call him a filthy lying scum bag? Look in the mirror mate.

    0
  • Stamford Toon

    Aug 1, 2008 at 5:47 PM

    Comment #27

    The FA were asked by the police to hold back punishment until after the court case so that it did not jeopordise proceedings. Yhe club must have known that once the court case was over then the FA were going to step in. It’s only common sense. Why some of you have to think the FA wants to punish us is beyond me, they are simply doing there job as a governing body for football and there is no reason at all why Barton should be an exception and escape the punishment he deserves, even if he does play for NUFC.

    0
  • Hilly

    Aug 1, 2008 at 6:01 PM

    Comment #28

    I can’t believe some of the stances taken on this site by “fans” of NUFC. How is this in any way our fault. In the US, athletes are punished right away (take Michael Vick for example). The NFL didn’t wait until he was traded to the Bears and then say, ah hell, lets suspend him for half the season because of the dog fighting that happened 2 years ago. It’s utter nonsense. The FA is way out of line here and I agree with others on this site that the only ones affected by this possible ban are Newcastle and its fans. If this goes through, I think NUFC have no choice but to sue the FA and stick it to them hard.

    0
  • Lacedaemonian

    Aug 1, 2008 at 6:35 PM

    Comment #29

    The FA leaked this information……

    Man City suspended Barton for the remainder of the season at the time.

    Dabo pushed him resulting in Barton punching him four times. Barton originally said it was self defence which it was but the force used was not considered reasonable. Barton pleaded guilty to take a softer sentence and the judge was lenient because this Dabo provoked the attack with physical aggression.

    0
  • chicken i may have to hunt you for fun now! dont you come around here no more. chicken i love the way you can watch that and not even realize its your premade up mind that gives u the result u want??? i mean … its quite sad mate. im giving u the pie..

    0
  • kev

    Aug 2, 2008 at 1:41 AM

    Comment #31

    It ,s time time to chance the FA the bloke ,s done his time now lets move on joey has payed for his crime its time to get behind the lad he is a Newcastle player and if you are a true supporter we will back the lad but its a joke how long the FA have taken to decide to bring this charge i think its a joke like them

    0
  • kev

    Aug 2, 2008 at 1:48 AM

    Comment #32

    To be honest it should be fat sam facing the charge he was the one who allowed joey barton to go off on the booze over xmas he had failed a fitness test but only just ,
    but with 2 more games in the space of a few days , the lad should have been left in newcastle to get fit for those games but fat sam allowed him back to liverpool so blame his man managment skills which are 0 nil

    0

You must log in to post a comment.