Martins’ Shocked At Losing Mother Who Was His Inspiration

Oba Martins has said he has lost his inspiration after the tragic death of his mother.

oba-martins-432.gif

Oba Martins – lost the inspiration of his mother

His mother, Alhaja Monsurat Martins, was the one person the striker says helped him make the most of his talent.

She died at the age of 62 in the early hours of Thursday, 24th July, when a petrol tanker burst into flames near the Orile Iganmu Bus Stop, where she lived, and she apparently died of shock.

Alhaja was described as being in good health until the shock of the explosion killed her, which Martins admitted only added to his upset, as he told the Newcastle Journal today:

“I never believed the story until I arrived Lagos,” “When my sisters called and broke the news to me, I did not believe them.”

“But when they insisted, I made up my mind to come home to see things for myself.”  “I am in shock,” “I never expected she would die now.”

“A day before her death we spoke at length on her dreams and aspirations for the people living around our house at Orile Iganmu.”  “My mother had planned to make her neighbours comfortable.”

“I will miss her dearly because she was everything to me. She was my pillar and source of inspiration.” “Her presence brought a lot of goodwill to me. In fact, for me, after God, it was my mum.”

“She was my life. I don’t know what I would have become without my mother.”

This is so sad, and it seems like his mother had a heart of gold, which she has passed down to her son.

The former Inter Milan striker returned last week to join the Newcastle squad in training, and he could get treatment in Mallorca, rather than back in Newcastle in the circumstances.

Martins does have a slight knee injury but manager Kevin Keegan believed, rightly we think, it would be better for him to get treatment with his team mates in Mallorca.

It’s not good to be on your own in these cases, and life goes on, as hard as that seems at the time.

But we have some great senior players at the club and we just know they will be helping Oba out big time in his grief.

We even think Kevin will bring Oba on as a substitute on Wednesday against PSV Eindhoven, if he’s fit enough,  so the crowd can give the lad a standing ovation – which will show just how much our fans love him. Kevin Keegan does things like that, and we fully expect it.

Kevin said:

“We felt it was very important he came with us,” “It was such a sudden thing with his mother. But hopefully the lads will help him get over it.”

“He’ll have treatment here and do his gym work around the lads.”

“We felt it would be beneficial for him to come here.”

Kevin will also be a great help to the youngster, becasue he’s such a great person and so well like in the football game – and we all know why.

Martins is said to be ahead of schedule in his recovery, so an appearance by the very popular player on Wednesday night might just be on the cards – we hope so.

• rab wright

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:02 AM

hes a star i love oba, hope his mum is at peace.

• TrueMag

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:08 AM

great attitude from a foreign player,which you dont get to often,martins cares for this club and the club cares about him so well done nufc for letting martins decide himself how he’s going to do things.

• ObaFan2

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:08 AM

I’ll be there just for Oba on Wednesday, what a star he is.

• mrmcgee

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:08 AM

God bless martins.

Hope he can take his grief and turn it into focussed aggression for this coming season. Pretend every defender and goalkeeper is that oil tanker and smash it to pieces with his goals.

Martins was obviously close to his mother, not only because of this interview, but many others before. He said she inspired him… that does not have to stop, she can still inspire him for the rest of his career and life.

Come on Oba… We need you this season…

RIP Oba’s mam!

• filthy mag

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:21 AM

I love Oba. He has so much character its practically bursting out of him. I am pleased to hear he is with the squad. That will help them bond and knit together. I think that the team is getting stronger.

RIP Mrs Martins.

• GoesseN

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:30 AM

got to give the striker an amazing reception at all games this season.. make the guy comfortable again, he needs the support and who better then the toon army, weve got to raise the roof with oba chants when he gets himself on the pitch!

• Ian

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Doesnt seem fair does it? Such a brilliant person as Oba doesnt deserve this at all.

His mother may have passed her personality on to him, but we also appreciate how his personality also paases on to us and lifts us.

The small things he does, such as going out of his way to wave and cheer the fans sitting in a bar, even though they didnt see him, before he jumps in to his taxi with his usual humour outside the ground make all of the difference and doesnt go unnoticed by us fans.

He has made a good home in the North East and is loved by everyone, I hope that this and the team see him through this difficult patch in his life.

Next season will be Oba’s season I am sure, only Allerdyce and the ANC derailed last season, there is nothing in his way next season.

• CraigThaiToon

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:16 AM

he might not be perfect but i’d rather he wore number 9 than any1 else! Unless shearer come back obv!

• Davy C

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Oba Martins is a legend already because of his personality on top of his goals for Newcastle. My kids absolutely love him and we were all shocked and saddened when we heard the news about his mother. I’m sure she was extremely proud of her son and hope he manages to get over this as best he can. The reception he’ll receive at St.James’ Park will be massive and heartfelt.

• domtoon

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:05 PM

You can never say too many times this guy is true gem. I’ve not come across a single person who’s had a bad word to say about Martins, only words of respect and admiration. Furthermore, he has verbally come out and dedicated those skills and talents to NUFC on numerous occasions with such modesty and dignity, putting the fans’ minds at ease.

Oba, we are so very saddened for your loss and are just so glad you have found the will and enthusiasm to return to the squad so soon. It’s truly remarkable, just like you, your skill, and your character.

Remarkable.

• autibo

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:01 PM

RIP Mrs Martins

As for you Oba, you’ve got the support of 52,000 who go and adore you every week, and millions of others around the world. Everyone of them is there for you mate. True Geordie legend

• Steve P.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Rest In Peace,Alhaja….and know that you have done a wonderful job in raising a fantastic footballer with a heart of gold….the world is a better place because of you!….Thank God ,Oba is a magpie!….NUFC foreva’…..L.I.,N.Y.,U.S.A.

• Nenad

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:22 PM

A touching story. There comes the time for everyone, and we all have to learn that life indeed goes on… Obafemi needs the support now more than than ever and I hope the fans at SJP will have that on their mind in the coming months…

• eric crammy mag

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:02 AM

what a bloke if we could get another ten with his commiment we would be fine

• nepali toom army

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:10 AM

he is truly a great player.definitely deserves to start each match even after mark viduka is fit.he gives everything to this club.its sad to hear about his mom,because everyone’s loves there mother than anything in the world.mother are the ones who inspires their children and always remains with us at our hard times.

RIP obafemi martins mom

• BigWilson

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:30 AM

Absolutely tragic, cant imagine how he feels at the moment. My heart goes out to him and I pray that he has a fantastic season this time. He deserves it.