Beye – Wants To Play Much Better This Season Than Last

A player we haven’t hear too much from in pre-season is Habib Beye, Newcastle’s player of the season last season.

habib-beye-410.gif

Habib Beye – no intention of resting on his laurels this season

Habib Beye has said today that he has no intention of resting on his laurels, as he starts his second season at Newcastle United.

The defender was Sam Allardyce’s best signing last summer, and he won the official Newcastle United web site player of the year award, and won our own vote on Newcastle’s best player of the season – easily.

Beye is expected to make his first appearance of the pre-season against PSV Eindhoven tonight, after recovering from an Achilles problem – and he rightly thinks he is only as good as his next campaign.

Beye told the Shields Gazette today:

“When people say you are one of the players of the season, it is good,” “But I need to work again to improve and play well.”

“For my first season, it was good. It’s difficult to come to England and play in the Premier League. I was in France before, where the football is different.”

“When I came to Newcastle, I was very happy. Newcastle is a big club, and I like to play at St James’s Park in front of 52,000 people.”

“But I know I need to play well, and have another good season. I’m not here to play one year, and that is all.”

“I want to play well for the whole season. I have a three-year contract, and my ambition is to play much better than last season” “I want to progress.”

“I know the Premier League now, and it’s good for me to play in Newcastle. Hopefully, it will be a great season for the team.”

Beye did in fact travel to Palma for the Mallorca Summer Cup, but did not play in either of Newcastle’s two games – and in fact only returned to training last Thursday.

Beye will hope to get some playing time tonight as he continued:

“I have a little problem in my Achilles – an inflamation. I’ve started training, and maybe I can play against PSV.”

“I am looking forward to playing at St James’ again. I love playing for the Newcastle fans.”

Beye was an excellent signing, and he was very good for the side last season, there’s no doubt about that.

And we expect Habib is ready to do even better this season, if we are really to finish with a UEFA Cup place, which has to be our goal.

• dougnufc

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Legend!

• Leo

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:22 PM

legend

• Faustino

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Dingo – ha ha ah thats two day brightening stories from Sky today. I think the Arca out injured story pips it at the moment.

• Irish John

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:25 PM

If Owen is’nt playing tonight give the capitancy to Beye..

He’s class and there’s no one with a better attitude…

I actualy would’nt mind seen Beye and Colocinni as our 2 centre backs..Both class..Think it would be a good partnership

• JOeT

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:26 PM

beye is a legend, great player, great attitude!

I’m starting to get excited about the new season

• MAG PIE

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Neither Bassong nor Coloccini have signed yet. Not in squad list on website and KK quoted on site saying 2 or 3 more to come in and if they are the same quality as Guitterez and Guthrie that will do. No mention of Bassong and Colo – are these the 2 in the 2 or 3?

• Bill F SPLASH THE CASH ASH

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:35 PM

If he plays better than last season then he will be awesome. Just hope the rest of the team come up to his standard. I believe he played more in midfield than fullback for Marseille so I would tend to agree with Irish John. Trouble is we would need some one to replace him. I would like to see us sign Clerc of Lyon. He is young and improving rapidly.

• hitman

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:36 PM

best thing big sam did at the toon was to get beye,good to here kk wanting 3 more players in.

• dick

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:38 PM

thats what i’m worried about to mag pie

• ACD

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Words cannot describe how much i love this guy!

He is a great player and has a great attitude!

• Davies

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I noticed that too Mag Pie. I hope he means two or three more.

Loving Beye. Top top professional and seems like a nice bloke. One of the best RBs in the prem. Go on son!

• Born Again Geordie

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:46 PM

The man is a legend – pure class – we need to get him signed to a longer contract though – particularly if he has a good 2008 / 09 the top 4 will sure to be sniffing around . Ho’way the Beye !!!!! 😀

• micepie

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:48 PM

What an enigma Luque has been (from SPN),,,

12.42 Former Newcastle United flop Albert Luque looks set to leave Ajax after being told to train with the second team.

Just announced: KK looking at 3 new faces, from official site no less. No doubt already picked up by 10,000 fans. Sounds good!!

• Martin

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Mag Pie – Keegan said in an interview with nufctv that as far as he was concerned the Bassong deal was done…

He isn’t stupid and neither is Ashley – granted we might not be spending the same millions as Tottenham but MA will know that a championship side is worth 10x less than a premiership club (especially a premiership club with european footy) he know’s we need to invest – it’s his club aswell as ours!

I reckon by the time the window closes we’ll have Guthrie, Guttierez Collocini, Bassong, a new left back (possibly Baines/Shorey) another midfielder (Inler/Skjelbred) and another tall striker (Derdiyok/Pogrebnyak)

Obviously those choices in the brackets are ideal signings – but the possitions they fill are deffinates!

• micepie

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Oh, yes, damn. I hope that KK considers Bassong already part of the squad, so that he means Colo plus 2.

Can we also snap up another promising youngster – 18 or 19 – too, but a MF?

• Eyeball

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Hahaha what a loser Luque is!!! it just shows the fact that sometimes players arent worth the Money we pay for them £6m -Smith, £8.5m-Boumsong, £8.5m-Viana!!!

Anyway Cmon Habib Beye!!! Better than Sagna at arsenal and he was said to be the best RB in the league last year….”Sunday, Monday HABIB BEYE”

• SwedeEric

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:02 PM

The best two signings last season, Faye and Beye! Will never forgett when I played Poker at Aspers with Beye, Geremi and the Zog =)

And about Beye and Faye… When did we sign them last year? On the last day of the window. Owen, the last day of the window that year..

There is time left my friends =)

• LoonyToon

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:02 PM

top pro and top player who lets his feet do the majority of his talking…possibly our best signing for a very long time taking into account value for money and the return he has provided on the pitch….

• WesToon

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:03 PM

Habib…..You are pure pure CLASS
    hahahaha,he wants to play better(AWESOME)

If u play any better mate,you will be the prem league best right back

No objections to that Mr.Beye

Go on you good thing 🙂

• Penalty-Spot

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:09 PM

He is class alright. I reckon there’s a few goals in him this season too 🙂

• micepie

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:13 PM

I wouldn’t be all that surprised if after managing to sign a cb (hopefully Colo) and a lb, KK may well say that the squad is now ready for the new season. That that’s it. Hopefully we WILL get that mf and even a striker too, but it’s best to prepare for the disappointment of possibly only getting defenders in, I reckon…

• ObaFan2

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Beye, top player and if he can get better than great 4 us.

Off-topic, already an international worry with Argentinian players with a friendly arranged which could mean Jonas and (if signed) Curlyccini miss the first game of the season!!!!! but also Tevez would miss the clash aswell if all 3 are called up for the friendly!!!!!!

Oh dear….. being a Toon fan is never easy or simple !

• Punk Skunk

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Habib Beye…What a class act!..
    …You Rule Man!..
    …Ho’way!..

• LoonyToon

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Obafan…not sure if they would miss the first game…I am pretty sure they would leave after the first game…just summit I read earlier

• mozza

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM

thats a big worry mincepie because we desperately need a midfield schemer and a partner for oba and owen, with vidukas injury record.

• Kaler

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Alright lads, anyone know if there is any live streams of the game tonight? I’m not an nufvTV member and can’t get to the game? Cheers

• Lull

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:23 PM

Is this suppose to be a good sign or the other way around?

• ObaFan2

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:26 PM

LoonyToon, apparantly there is a 4 day rule and if Argentina want they can use that which could mean missing the Man U game.

• Aussie Toon

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Not many first year defenders to the premiership adjust as well as Beye, he has been awesome. The exciting fact is class foreign players usually play better in the following seasons which means we could have a future right-back star. Sign to a long term contract “Now” 🙂

• robertsa

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:34 PM

we like beye. the best thing big sam did. was geeting him and faye in right on the deadline.

• absoultly a legend, should get the captancy, lets hope he plays just as good as last season lads and come on the toon the nite

• chinzaknuk

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Quality player, do you all remember the game where he had a bit of a to do with some one over a throw in and they wouldn’t give him the ball, little incidents like that just show his heartfelt commitment to the team, great attitude and great that he wants to do even better than last season

• xfer

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Looking for streams as well. The couple i’ve known of arent showing them.

• we were lucky the tranfer deadline was 12, we got them both beye nd faye at 11.59, thank god

• Spyro

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Probably the most adored NUFC player in our current squad, and he has earned it in ONE season. i can safely say that i echo everyone else’s opinions on him without even reading all of the comments

• Spyro

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM

i Just remember Beye ripping through Tottenhams left wing before losing the ball, getting it straight back and then rocketing a shot against Robinsons crossbar, left every Spud player and fan in shock hahaha

• Cooper

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:45 PM

Anyone heard of him?

some reserve at toulouse linked with us

• Macas

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:50 PM

The funny thing is that he looked the worst of the defensive buys when he first arrived, but he soon got going! And Rozenhal showed his true colours soon after that!