McMahon Wants To Make Newcastle Asia’s Favorite Club

Steve McMahon has denied claims in the press, that his company is interested in buying Newcastle United.

steve-mcmahon.jpg

Steve McMahon – wants to make Newcastle Asia’s favorite club

As soon as Newcastle talk to any company, the gossip press picks it up, and immediately reports that the company is trying to buy out the club, whether they have any proof or not, and of course it’s just utter nonsense.

Newcastle will be talking to many different companies for investment and other purposes, and indeed in this case, McMahon’s company is working to publicize Newcastle United in the far East. Sounds good to us.

Steve was in the St James’ Park crowd on Wednesday, and is commercial director in charge of strategic sports investment at Profitable Group, the Singapore-based company.

That was the company most recently linked with a Newcastle takeover last weekend. However, McMahon pointed out that his company is only interested in promoting the black and whites in the Far East.

“We are hoping to be a strategic partner of Newcastle United in the Far East, and I  can categorically say I am not involved in buying the club and will not become director of football. I would love to be.”

“It would make good sense because there is always something happening there, but I am not.”

“What we want to do is turn Newcastle into Asia’s favourite club and if we were going to target any club outside of the top four, it would be Newcastle because of the history, the fanbase and, like I said, there is always something happening.”

We like that comment if it’s any club outside the top four it would be Newcastle, and it looks like Steve is a fan of the club – but maybe he’s just after a job on Tyneside, where we do pay big money for our Directors. 😀

Their Operations Director John Nordmann also explained:

“We were finalizing our deal and expected it to be completed in the next day or two, but then the stories came out.”

“It is not a big deal  it wouldn’t even buy you a full-back.”

This is the type of deal Newcastle need to make if they are to become a household name around the world, which we believe is what Ashley wants to do with the club.

If we are targeting Asia, it might also help the club to sign a top class Asian player.

What do you think – and who could that player be?

• toonfan1

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:15 AM

i know this has nothing to do with this story but it seems we have another trialist on our hands: http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=400764

not sure of who it is but he is from boavista. anyone have any clue?

• HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:18 AM

I’d like Rcom the Asian company he works for or Ambani the Indian billionaire buy the club from Ashley!!

• geordiegraham

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:19 AM

sounds gd

• 51times

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:26 AM

HPS – Tough.

• Davies

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:28 AM

HPS – Oh dear

toonfan1 – Not sure, but NUMad is a nobend of a site. They are the equivolent to the The Sun, but pretend to be a Newcastle fan site.

Any word on Coloccini?

• gorskino10

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:31 AM

All there doing is using there reputation to get more sales in Asia (just like Man UTD own this Japanese Team and it increased there Asian fanbase) so lets hope this will allow us to get investment from Asia, as i only want a English owner but want quite a bit of cash spent in the market too.

• dsr

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:31 AM

does anyone else think ashleys comments are bizarre? what is he looking forward to? starting the season with no strikers and a squad of about 4 players?
    I have to admit I get a bit tired of the aashley bashing on this comment board, and i dont think hes all bad, but dont those comments just seem to show he has no understanding of how any of the fans actually feel at the moment looking at next season?

• bailey

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:32 AM

sorry nothing to do with headline but can anyone say what has happened to the Collicini signing. Has it died???? ONLY AT NEWCASTLE eh.

Also why is KK so obsessed with Alan Smith staying. As someone else pointed out even with him we still have no strikers because he certainly cannot score.

• kajman

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:33 AM

lets hope..things improve….

• dontoon

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:33 AM

off topic why is coloccini deal taking so long? why is ashley chatting rubbish about wanting us to be top 4 when he dont want to spend money? why are stoke spending more than us? why do they say wise is an expert in negotiating deals? I think the club think we are the stupid and will accept any old rubbish.

• furrygiblets

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:34 AM

HPS i don’t want a foreign heartless owner it’s as simple as that.

• 9 Shearer

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I want ashely to stay.

• linz

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:35 AM

im not really bothered about this im bothered by the fact colloccini STILL hasnt signed!! whats going on?? any news on a medical yet?? why are we dragging our feet with signings its soooo fustrating.

• furrygiblets

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Me too 9Shearer

• gorskino10

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:36 AM

My view is on Collo to be announced at a Double signing to boost moral around the club, is that Trialist called Mário Silva as he is the only left back at Boavista, also it looks like they have some “Money Issues” as they have bought in 4/5 and sold like over 10 players, i don’t see any point in wasting money on a left back but if hes really cheap like Bassong at 1.5mill than i suppose its worth it

• Eddddd

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Don’t shoot the messenger, but I have heard through the grape vine that he was in Jesmond this morning (Colo)

• James

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:37 AM

COLOCCIN DEAL UPDATE:

For those that seemed confused about the Coloccin deal, you need to understand the delay has been caused by Deportivo not Newcastle. Deportivo said they wouldn’t allow Coloccini to come over and seal the deal until they had signed his replacement. They didn’t sign this replacement until yesterday (another Argy player from South American leagues).

So expect the Coloccini deal to be officially announced later today/tomorrow.

He is already listed on Deportivo site as being a Newcastle player, along with Sky Sports team lists, and FIFI.com. So it’s only a case of an official dotting of the i”s by the board today and the deal is finally done.

• sirjasontoon

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Ashley has his head on another planet,with the current crop of players we will struggle…(even if we sign Coloccini).Look at the team sheet against PSV it was pathetic we couldn’t even field a senior striker that is before the season even kicks off!

I just can’t see what Ashley is excited about…cos most people I speak to are worried sick at the moment.

• Edd Case

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:38 AM

I am really confused.

Coloccini is quoted all over the place saying “goodbye” to the Depor fans etc, the Depor site confirms we have agreed the deal yet from Newcastle, NOTHING, nothing at all…

Big Willie may well be right about the club wanting to announce two signings together but why?

All I can hope for is that the two signings are both very big players, one we know, Coloccini, and the other must be as big, if not bigger.

It just doesn’t make any sense. And as for Smith, well why would any deal involving him have to go through first?

I mean, really, if it meant losing out on a top player for the sake of Smith’s £3million transfer fee, surely Ashley would simply lend the dosh to the club he owns?

Can’t see why anything would be reliant on any deal involving Smith.

But, if he’s going, let’s also ship out Shola.

• Guthrie

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:45 AM

ya for me Toon shud increase the fan base in Asia
    me here in one of the country in asia, even to find Toon Jersey is very hard
    and i am the only toon supporter in my company!!
    oh dear

• Len

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:46 AM

1) There is huge potential for the club in Asia. Maybe the 4th biggest fan base already. Personally I wouldnt touch this deal with a barge pole. 2) What do you expect KK to say about Smith? “hes useless and I cant wait to get rid of him. now give me 3m please”.

• Lamesley Mag

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:57 AM

To be a household name in Asia we need a succesfull team. The current squad will never excite the Asain market.

I spent time in Singapore last year watching the Newcastle vs. Derby game live with the Singapore branch of the NUFC supporters team. They love our team, but numbers continue to dwindle as the team is poooooor…..

• cobbo

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:59 AM

You have got to hand it to Ashley it takes a special guy to surpass big fat Fred in terms of sinking this club to new depths, i mean make us the favourites in Asia by signing David Healy your having a f****** laugh fat boy!!!!!!!

• sirjasontoon

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Yeah i can see it now half of asia wearing the new silver kit with Healy on the back…very ambitious signing..Fulham sign AJ and we get Healy…something wrong there methinks : )

• sirjasontoon

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Can’t believe we are becoming a mirror image of sports direct…we will end up piled high with useless cheap tat that nobody wants.

Asians like the big teams with star players..i am based bham now and never have i been to watch a match and seen an asian Toon fan..always Man U,arsenal,Liverpool,Chelsea…think Steve Mcmahon has been blowing smoke rings up Mike’s backside.

• CRAIGG

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Oh yes to make us big in asia we should sign guys like Kluivert, Boumsong, Luque and Emre.

Get real i would be happier if David Healy came for a small fee and wages and scored 5-10 goals off the bench or covering for our big hitters.

Were past the stupid spend a load on a crap from abroad to keep the masses happy era.

Personally i think we have bought really well all three of our signing have been relatively cheap and all have been extremely encouraging thus far.

Collocini will give us the quality we lack at CB and my choices would be Warnock to compete with Enrique at Left back and De Jong to play alongside Barton/Guthrie and replace Butt long term would give us a solid top 10 side.

I also would be ten times happier with David Healy than Alan Smith or Shola Ameobi.

Build again over the next 3 seasons and see where we are, It wont happen overnight Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Villa, Portsmouth and until recently Blackburn have shown the merits of long term stability and the progression they have made compared to us over the last few years is frightening.

• Taiwantoon

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:23 PM

I agree with Lamesley Mag, the combination 0f success on the field and big name players is the best way to increase fan base in Asia. On my Japanese satellite TV, it’s almost the big four every week and I am sick of it! I am paying crazy money to have a Japanese satellite set up in Taiwan only for Toon games! Help me plz MA! Spend and catch the big four…okay, I am joking, I know he wouldn’t.

In Owen, we have a big name player to attract attentions and what we really need now is success on the field.

@CRIAGG, Kluivert was famous in his prime, but I don’t think the rest means too much here in Asia, espercially Mr. B. You need the real top players like Shearer or C. Ronaldo to be an attraction to most fans here cos of the simple fact that there are less footy information. People may feel them are glory hunters, but lesser teams just won’t get the attentions on telly.It’s not their fault.

• Dondatta13

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Wanting to up the profile of NUFC in Asia is indeed a good idea, But is opening a string of BARS the way to go about it?

Wouldnt it be better to do something for the larger community in Asia? Something for the under privileged or poor, or maybe a few small medical centres under the umbrella of NUFC. Even a few strategically placed leisure centres with the famous black & white theme running through it, anything but BARS!

If they really want NUFC to be popular THATS the way to do it. Opening of BARS in Asia is just crass (IMO)

• aqmin

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:27 PM

guthrie: mate! i’m in malaysia, some of my friends don’t even know newcastle.. they only know owen when i said newcastle. Nyway, if you guys really want to expand our fanbase in Asia, plllleeeeaaassseee have a look at Malaysians youngsters. I know, my country is not highly recognized for our football(just moved from 169 to 166 in FIFA ranking though 🙂 ), but believe me, i have a feeling that Malaysian youngsters have what it takes to good players. Even if you guys don’t want to sign them, pleeeeaaassseee try some of them as trialist and we shall see whether they are good or not..

Sorry, but when it comes to football and Malaysia, i just can’t help myself mentioning some quality youngsters… Khyril Muhymeen, AMRL/ST, Baddrol Bakhtiar MC, Bunyamin Umar, DWBL/R, Helmi Eliza Elias, GK…. sory guys, know its pethethic for me to say these, but seriously.. i mean it..

• magsie

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Slightly off topic but regards to Asia and profits i was wondering if MA might use his own company or flog off the sponsership deal to an asian company once the skint N/Rock deal ends.

• hitman

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:50 PM

forgetting one thing manu they dominate asia

• Dondatta13

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Hitman, ya right mate, Man U do dominate the asian market.

Are ya with me when I say I dont think they do it by putting bars in the community (I may be wrong).

• hitman

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:12 PM

ashley should forget asia for now and invest in the first team first…

• Hertz

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Im another toon from malaysia.
    I think im only the one who supports newcastle out of 5000 students in my school.
    Some of my friend even laugh me off when they heard it.
    Btw, anyone watchin olympic opening ceromöny?
    It is briliant!

• Jimmy Mac

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:24 PM

I think if Everton are so interested in Smith and we are desperate for a LB to “compete” (replace surely) Enrique, why not propose a straight swap for Leighton Baines??? He has stated he is not willing to spend another season on the bench and they have valente & lescott who can play there.

PS: i like what ashley is doing with the club, we have had enought instability, about time someone stepped in and sorted things, which IMO he is doing slowly but surely.

I wouldn’t be suprised if this summer was quiet after Colocinni + 1 or 2 more, but i think next summer could be a different story. Fair play to the bloke for not wanting to rush into buying C*ap, i have had enough of that to last me a lifetime.

Come on toon (and fans) less of the pessimism and get behind the team!! lads in south east corner onWednesday were a revelation!!

• Indian toon

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:49 PM

this guy was a presenter at espn star for the bpl games , and he always used to put down newcastle united.! am sure he means shit!

• xfer

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:54 PM

I live in Singapore, and the fanbase here is quite pathetic. Only a handful of us supports Newcastle.

McMahon used to be the guest for our football channel… If im not wrong, he supports Liverpool.

• antz

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:56 PM

collicini IS in newcastle

• Indian toon

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:58 PM

here in india , majority of em support the big four. and nufc has a good chunk of supporters outside the big four over here!.. god i love newcastle united!! 🙂

• normski1930z

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:01 PM

how do you know antz????