Sir Bobby Robson Petition

There is a petition being put together to change the name of the East Stand at St. James’ Park to the Sir Bobby Robson Stand.

bobby-robson-7.jpg

Bobby Robson – while manager at Newcastle – notice
John Carver and young James Milner in the background

We are only too keen to put this out, so that those fans who want to give their name to the petition can do so.

Filling out the first page will register your name on the petition – the second page we see is asking for a donation from the ipetitions people – it’s up to you – but you don’t have to give any money on this page – just leave it blank if you don’t want to give anything.

We are not involved in any way with this site, just trying to help out the petition for Bobby.

Here is the LINK where you can add your names.

• Greg P

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:46 PM

No disrespect to the great man, but surely the Hughie Gallaghers and Joe Harvey’s (and even Kevin Keegans) come ahead of Sir Bobby?
    I have nothing against this petition, but Ipswich is surely the place he should have a stand named after him at?
    Lets respect the great Sir Bobby during this difficult time, but not get carried away with sentiment.

• hgjfkd

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:52 PM

great idea

• Broadsword

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:54 PM

Yes I agree, he should be honoured at Ipswich rather than here. He did his best work elsewhere. He’s still a legend though.

• beye the great

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:54 PM

i think this is a great thing to do yes there are other people but non that has made an impact on WORLD football and also whiledoing this always being proud off supporting newcastle

• Stephen

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:56 PM

Sir Bobby is better than Kevin Keegan.

Thats just my view.

He deserves this.

The man made me so proud to watch Newcastle since he left we went down a slippery spiral hopefully kevin keegan can stop it.

But anyone who gets 4th 3rd and 5th at newcastle is a Legend in my opinion

People go on on about how much they need to spend to crack that top 4 because its soo hard

he got there twice and only for injuries in his last full season at the club we would of got 4th

we drew our 2 last games against southampton away and liverpool 2 of the hardest places to go at that time

and had bellamy out for most of the season and dyer etc.

It makes me sick how he got sacked

• WIGAZ

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:58 PM

As long as he’s honured whether it’s at SJP or Ipswich thats all that matters here! lets hope whoever does it does so while he’s still here to enjoy it! Sir Bobby thanks for the memories your a true Geordie Gent!

• adam

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:01 PM

he has a history with newcastle and should be honored at st james. i hope it goes ahead

• Shwanufc4life

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:02 PM

I agree with Greg P!

Bobby is an absolute legend and i love the man to bits! And honestly had a tear when i was reading about his cancer suffering at the moment, but there have been many others who have done much more for the club then bobby, even though what bobby did was fantastic, im just saying there a people more deserving of newcastle worship then bobby!

• gordond

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:03 PM

Already signed, how about a Newcastle,Barcelona,PSV,Sporting,Ipswich all-stars game for cancer research i would pay with all proceeds going as i said to cancer research.

• Shwanufc4life

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:03 PM

and im sorry but sir bobby did a better job then keegan?

what drugs have you been on ?

• fip

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:07 PM

why is it in US dollars?

hmm

• Lamesley Mag

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:07 PM

A great man who took us back among the elite of English football….

I fully support the naming of a part of SJP after Sir Bobby!

Hopefully KK will be given the funds and time to take us back to the top…….

• Beastie

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Sir Bobby Is a legend!!! without doubt and fat fred what were you doing sacking him and bringin in the mess u did!!!

• magpieranger

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Totaly agree with Greg P..
    SBR is a fantastic figurehead but he did his best work at portman road. If we want to honour him as a geordie then lets name a road leading up to SJP in his honour. The man is phenominal and a true insperation who deserves a lasting recogintion but I don’t think naming a stand is appropriate. What about the freeman naming the ward after him? sureley more appropriate? SBR is still with us so lets just take a step back and smile & reflect on what everyone of us could achieve if we had the dedication of SBR.

• Brazilian Geordie

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Oh, I think that’s great. I’m fascinated how people treat their idols in England.

One question, ‘East Stand’ is where are writed ‘NEWCASTLE UNITED’?

Sorry about some language errors..

• beessi-kosovo

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:28 PM

i will love him forever

• Greg P

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:28 PM

No offence Swanufc4life but Keegan took NUFC from the verge of div 2 to 3rd in the prem. I dont want to get into a discussion on this, but feel that football can get too sentimental, and am looking to support Ipswich in further honouring the great man.
    There are many reasons why Sir Bobby is a great manager, but while I would support honouring him a stand at St James should be reserved for the greatest and while Bobby was a great man there are others who we should reserve this honour for

• geist

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:29 PM

For those people saying he should be honoured at ipswich, he was our best manager of recent times and he has made such an impact on football in general. An honour from Newcastle would mean more to him as he is a proud geordie. He is a great geordie and so should be honoured by the club.

• Nick C

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Greg P is right on the money

• daiv

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Bobby Robson managed us for a few years and gave us a good team. He is a gentleman and a great manager who had more success elsewhere. It is right he should be honoured but elsewhere. NUFC should not be honouring him because he was born in the north east and achieved greatness as a manager elsewhere. What happens when managers evntually win us something? Keep changimng the names of the stands. Ludicrous. Great players in the last 100 years more worthy (excepting Milburn who has a stand named after him) are Gallagher (never happen now due to the passage of time) and Shearer. Surely KK deserves it more as he gave us an even better team. Bottom line is that Sir Bob is a gent and great manager (remember we all stood by while NUFC sacked him) who should be honoured but naming a stand after him is going too far. We’ll be naming the whole stadium after a manager who wins us something at that rate!!

• MattyDread

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:42 PM

He shouldn’t be honoured at st James’ for what he did for the club, but also for who he is as a man and as a Geordie. Of course he should be honoured at st James’. The fact that he had more success at another football club should make no difference to that what so ever.

• Big Dave

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:44 PM

He got fired by that idiot fat Fred, but he still loves this club, and attends the club’s matches. He’s a lovely person, and he did so much for this club, so I think even the stadium’s name could be changed to Sir Bobby Robson Stadium.

• Martin

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:46 PM

Signed!

He SHOULD be honoured at both places! I still think he feels hurt by what happend at hte club and for the way the absaloute numpties that appear on SSN etc. came out saying he was too old and couldn’t do the job….I’m desperate to do something for before he goes!!!

• Mark

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:49 PM

this is about honouring one of our own, regardless of his acheivements for the club, done massive amounts of charity work for the city of newcastle and I doubt we will see another bloke quite like him.

• Danish_Magpie

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:14 PM

I think we all agree that sacking Sir Bobby was a massive mistake. Even at the time, I think most people could not understand te sacking, as he had done a great job for us and the season was hardly under way. I think debating who was greater Sir Bobby or Keegan is unfair because they were very different times. Under Keegan we were investing more heavily than pretty much anyone else and we achieved great success with that strategy, and Keegan should be praised for that because he did a tremendous job. Sir Bobby came in at a difficult time, stabilized us, and made us a contender for Champions League every year. I am no sure Sir Bobby could have done what Keegan did or the other way around, to be honest.

The three people I would most love associated with Newcastle are Sir Bobby, Keegan and Shearer… I admire them all, and don’t want to compare them.

We should indeed honor Sir Bobby. I am not sure if naming the stands after him is the way to do it, but we should do something.

• Ross

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:18 PM

charity games between us, ipswitch, barcelona etc are a must.
    imagine the toon/barcelona at SJP again, a remake of THAT champions league night.
    the stadium packed to the rafters, the noise deafening, all in honour of sir bobby.

• Colo's Curly Locks

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:41 PM

If not the Sir Bobby Robson Stand….then it should be the Sir Bobby Robson Tournament (It really really pains me to say it, but it will probably be a memorial tournament by next summer), consisting of Newcastle, Barcelona, Porto, Sporting Lisbon, Psv, Ipswich, Fulham or a combination of these teams, alternating each year.

i think this is a more realistic option, but just as big a tribute to teh great man.

• Colo's Curly Locks

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Bobby Quotes

1) “She thinks I’m stupid. She thinks I’m just out of my head” – On wife
    Elsie.

2) “My father had five sons. I had four brothers”

3) “Denis Law once kicked me at Wembley in front of the Queen in an
    international. I mean, no man is entitled to do that, really”

4) “He was handing those cards out like tram tickets” – After an Ipswich
    match at Everton back in 1977.

5) “He managed with a velvet glove. But everyone at Old Trafford knew who
    was the manager” – On Sir Matt Busby.

6) “With Maradona, Arsenal could have won the World Cup” – Sir Bobby in
    1986. Note to younger readers: the Arse were pretty naff in those days.

7) “Hitler didn’t tell us when he was going to send over those doodlebugs,
    did he?” – On why he was refusing to name his England team before a World
    Cup qualifer against Sweden in 1989.

8) “He’s learning about management now, isn’t he?” – On Trevor Francis,
    sacked earlier in the day by QPR in 1990.

9) “We didn’t underestimate them. They were a lot better than we thought”
    – Sir Bobby after England sneaked through against Cameroon in the 1990
    World Cup.

10) “I think I have the best job in the country” – On being national
    coach.

11) “I will not let these people get to me or rattle me. They have no
    qualifications. They have never been anywhere or done anything in
    football. Why should I listen to them? – Sir Bobby on being criticised in
    the press.

12) “I was just a victim of the tabloid newspaper war. I had watched this
    cancer spread over the eight years. It was ugly and damaging” – On
    announcing he was stepping down as England manager in 1990.

13) “Look at those olive trees. They’re two hundred years old – from
    before the time of Christ!” – Sir Bobby illustrates how great life is in
    Barcelona.

14) “I played cricket for my local village. It was 40 overs per side, and
    the team that had the most runs won. It was that sort of football”

15) “We don’t train in this country. We train at the beginning of the
    season to get fit – once the season starts, we’re a nation of match-day
    footballers”

16) “I’m here to say goodbye – maybe not goodbye but farewell” – On
    leaving the England job in 1990.

17) “Players never know why they are taken off or substituted – until they
    become managers”

18) “They’re two points behind us, so we’re neck and neck”

19) “I’d say he’s the best in Europe, if you put me on the fence”

20) “Tottenham have impressed me: they haven’t thrown in the towel even
    though they have been under the gun”

21) “Football never surprises you and it never sometimes demoralises you”

22) “If we start counting our chickens before they hatch, they won’t lay
    any eggs in the basket”

23) “We’ve got nothing to lose, and there’s no point losing this game”

24) “I would have given my right arm to be a pianist”

25) “I do want to play the short ball and I do want to play the long ball.
    I think long and short balls is what football is all about”

26) “Their football was exceptionally good – and they played some good
    football”

27) “Eighteen months ago they [Sweden] were arguably one of the best three
    teams in Europe, and that would include Germany, Holland, Russia and
    anybody else if you like”

28) “They tell me even Wimbledon are playing good football” – Sir Bobby,
    while PSV coach, in 1992.

29) “We’re taking 22 players to Italy, sorry, to Spain… where are we,
    Jim?” On whether Paul Gascoigne should have gone to the 1998 World Cup.

30) “He’s very fast and if he gets a yard ahead of himself nobody will
    catch him”

31) “Sarajevo isn’t Hawaii”

32) “The first 90 minutes are the most important”

33) “In a year’s time, he’s a year older”

34) “Some of the goals were good, some of the goals were sceptical”

35) “Anything from 1-0 to 2-0 would be a nice result”

36) “Home advantage gives you an advantage”

37) “The margin is very marginal”

38) “Well, we got nine and you can’t score more than that”

39) “He’s got his legs back, of course, or his leg – he’s always had one
    but now he’s got two”

40) “Everyone’s got tough games coming up. Manchester United have got
    Arsenal, Arsenal have got Manchester United and Leeds have got Leeds”

41) “Manchester United will find it very intimidating with 100 screaming
    fans in the Bernabeu”

42) “I thought that individually and as a pair, they’d do better together”

43) “If you’re a painter, you don’t get rich until you’re dead. The same
    happens with managers. You’re never appreciated until you’re gone, and
    then people say: ‘Oh, he was OK’. Just like Picasso”

44) “What can I say about Peter Shilton? Peter Shilton is Peter Shilton,
    and he has been Peter Shilton since the year dot”

45) “Why couldn’t John Barnes play for England the way he played for
    Liverpool?…If he was a chicken winger I could have understood it, but we
    are talking about a brave man, built like a cruiserweight boxer”

46) “I used to see Ruud Gullit play for his first club, Harlem. We at
    Ipswich thought he was a promising kid but we felt we had kids like him in
    England”

47) “Daft as a brush” – On Paul Gascoigne, part one.

48) “When he was dribbling, he used to go through a minefield with his
    arm, a bit like you go through a supermarket” – On Paul Gascoigne, part
    two.

49) “The little lad jumped like a salmon and tackled like a ferret” – On
    Paul Parker at the at the 1990 World Cup.

50) “Steve Hodge has been unfit for two weeks, well, no, for 14 days”

51) “Ray Wilkins’ day will come one night”

52) “Steve Guppy has a dextrous left foot”

53) “He’s not the Carl Cort that we know he is”

54) “Carl Cort” – Sir Bobby’s name for Shola Ameobi.

55) “Kevin Dyer” – Sir Bobby’s name for Kieron Dyer.

56) “All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
    thinks that he’s the saviour, he’s Jesus Christ. He’s not Jesus Christ”

57) “Jermaine Jenas is a fit lad. He gets from box to box in all of 90
    minutes”

58) “If you see him stripped, he’s like Mike Tyson. But he doesn’t bite
    like Tyson – On Titus Bramble.

59) “Nobby Solano discharged himself from hospital after the Tottenham
    game and he’s driving, living the life and aware of who he is”

60) “We can’t replace Gary Speed. Where do you get an experienced player
    like him with a left foot and a head?”

61) “They can’t be monks – we don’t want them to be monks, we want them to
    be football players because a monk doesn’t play football at this level” –
    On Newcastle’s disciplinary problems.

62) “If we invite any player up to the Quayside to see the girls and then
    up to our magnificent stadium, we will be able to persuade any player to
    sign”

63) “We mustn’t be despondent. We don’t have to play them every week –
    although we do play them next week as it happens.” Following Newcastle’s
    2-0 league defeat by Arsenal who they then played the following Sunday in
    the FA
    Cup.

64) Alan Brazil: “I’m delighted to say we’ve got Sir Bobby Robson on the
    end of the phone, fresh from getting his knighthood at Buckingham Palace.
    Bobby, terrific news.”

Sir Bobby Robson: “What is?”

Brazil: “You know, getting the old sword on the shoulder from Prince
    Charlie.”

Sir Bob: Eh? [Long pause] “Oh yeah… well, it was a day I’ll never
    forget.”

65) “The crowd were expecting Craig Bellamy to come on and turn it around
    in an instant. They think he’s a magician. He’s not, he will be, but he
    hasn’t got a magic wand. He hasn’t played for seven months. He will be an
    October player. He’s not a September player”

66) “I’m not going to look beyond the semi-final – but I would love to
    lead Newcastle out at the final”

67) “Both teams – and Brazil even – got better on their way to the World
    Cup final”

68) “There will be a game where somebody scores more than Brazil and that
    might be the game that they lose”

69) “We used to have Shaka Hislop on our books but I’ve never heard of
    Shakira. Is she a singer?” – On learning that the pop diva was staying in
    the same Barcelona hotel as his players in November.

70) “I don’t think she knows I’m in Germany because we play Bayer
    Leverkusen that night. She might have arranged a dinner party. I will have
    to tell her. She doesn’t know, honestly” – On his wife’s arrangements for
    his 70th birthday celebrations

• GeordieJayne

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Ed, I would just like to say thank you for putting this petition link up to give those who want to, have a chance to know about this and sign it.

Other NUFC sites would rather their readers not have their own opinions on such matters.

We love you Bobby

• sweendog

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:56 PM

MattyDread .. just right .. he should be honoured as a geordie and a gent .. he wasn’t given the time to achieve greatness as a newcastle manager but he’s one of the only football managers (keegan included) I still look up to as an inspiration.

• Chris11

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:06 AM

Just a legend.. Ipswich would make more sense but i think it would mean more to him if it was at our place..

• ToonEskimo

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:22 AM

Good effort there Colo, I can remember Sir Bobby’s after match observations where you would hang on every word, the guy is a true gentleman and always wore his heart on his sleeve, it’s just a shame that Bobby was here during that sleezy bar stewards reign, otherwise I think he could have won us something, a true great and a tremendous example of a human being.

• vin

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:32 AM

the man has been an ambasador for football,a gentleman, an interesting character, a great manager for many clubs including our own. He is a Newcastle fan, an Ipswich legend….he should be honoured here and at Ipswich. Simple as that….dunno how, but he should be.

Id rather he had a stand named after him than Sir John (made a lot of cash and my son leeched the club dry along with Shepherd) Hall.

Wouldnt you?

• Yorkie Dave

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:39 AM

Im sending the link of this story to everyone i know asking them to sign the petition and pass it onto others, i advise you do the same and lets get this rolling!!!

• Toon 85

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:51 AM

What a man, dont think anyone has a bad word to say about him, true living legend!!!!!!!!!!

• ca6sst

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:10 AM

Just a note for those saying he should be honoured by Ipsiwch, sorry but we have the Sr John Hall stand – did we win any trophies when Sr John was involved – no!

Sir Bobby Robson is a proud Geordie, a Gentleman, a man who could choose to champion cancer anywhere and yet he’s fund raising for a facility to be built in Newcastle. The man Loves Newcastle, he’s one of us, he may have had more success elsewhere but if you cut him he’ll still bleed black and white!!!

I love the man, I’ve never met him but i still look at him like a Grandfather and that’s the greatest honour i could give him!

FFS is the most miserable slime on the earth for sacking this man, and don’t even get me started on Dyers lack of respect, if he had stayed at Newcastle we would be in a better position today.

Sir Bobby = Legend, needless to say petition already signed!

• Ryan Moseley

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:15 AM

yes its a great thing to do for sir bobby but we should do it before we all say goodbye to a true legend in the football world do it soon so its a sign that we loved him god bless sir bobby robson :'(

• m.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:15 AM

SBR’s stand, Gazza Stand, Al Stand, Mac Stand, Kev Stand, Beardo Stand… we’ve got plenty of people to pay a serious tribute.

btw, i’m drunk, don’t take this too seriously

• Mac

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:18 AM

Ca6sst,Bravo and well said.

• geordiekk

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:23 AM

theres only one bobby robson and i say that with a tear in my eye