Ashley – Players Need Heart And Passion For Newcastle

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has spoken to the press, which is a rare event, and he has talked about the money available to Kevin to bring in new players – but he stresses the players have to right for the club.

mike-ashley-and-fans.jpg

Owner Mike Ashley – with Newcastle fans

In the interview Mike has stressed he will only pay out money for the right player, and that the player must want to come to Newcastle for the right reasons.

Ashley is quoted in the Daily Star today:

“Players have to tick a lot of boxes for us to be interested.”  “If we think he only wants to come to Newcastle for the wrong reasons, then we’ll say ‘you’re not for us’ and we’ll look elsewhere.”

“But there is money for Kevin to spend. If the deal is right – and that means it’s the right player who Kevin wants – then we will do that deal.” “The days of buying players at the wrong time are gone.”

“I don’t think the people and the structure we have now would have made the mistakes of the past.”

“The right player at the right time is who we are after now, players with the heart and passion to play for Newcastle and its supporters.”

“Kevin doesn’t stop emphasizing that.”

Nothing wrong at all with those comments from the owner, and we have little doubt that Mike is a big fan of Kevin Keegan – whatever the gossip papers say.

He just loved watching the Newcastle side in Kevin’s first management stint at the club, and even Kevin thinks Mike can be the perfect owner for the club.

So we just don’t believe things are as bad as some reports suggest in the gossip press – don’t forget they often think their job is to tear Newcastle apart – because that helps to sell their papers.

But there’s no doubt we’ve made some very bad buys under the Shepherd regime and his cronies, and we were often a laughing stock.

And certainly the deals Newcastle have made this summer, at least so far, have been excellent.

Maybe if we’re just a little more patient, some new players will arrive before the end of the month – and we may just be in business.

Good words from the owner, and we need to hear more of what he thinks about the club, and where we are going.

Comments very welcome.

• SingaporeToon

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:39 AM

We will see at the end of the transfer period then. I really hope to see a few more quality signings coming to sjp but at least ashley came out and clear the air abit.

• nightfall

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:43 AM

ashley…cheers 😉

• Tom

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM

I like the way Ashley is doing this tbh. We don’t need to throw money at big players who are in it for the money anymore. We need players who are hungry, who want to prove themselves and who want to play for Newcastle United!!

• Tom Cairns

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM

nice to hear its keegan dictating on the transfers, also brilliant to hear that no players will be coming for the “wrong reasons”. im assuming thats for the money, wonder if that could have been the case with aimar.

• Lacedaemonian

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Pretty much all I could hope to hear.

• Spyro

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:49 AM

these are encouraging comments, thinking back, KK said we would wait until near the end of the transfer window before we made our proper signings didnt he? In order to stop them from being hijacked by clubs with a bit more to offer in terms of Europe etc, cough* Spurs cough* lol

• toon4lyf

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:52 AM

i would of luved if we got aimar

• ginkoh

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:52 AM

100% Agree with him that we need good players with heart, spirit and professional. Sure It’s hard to get highest quality players in the same case because we cannot give them more ambition (I mean European football)as Tottenham. But If we can go to Europe next season, let’s see how exciting we got from Keegan’s side 🙂

• Davies

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I hope that everyone be a little more chilled now and stop demanding that Ashley leave or sell or whatever.

Where are you Hate Prawn Sandwiches?

• Spyro

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Toon4lyf, what part of Ashley’s comments suggest we were ever after Aimar???

“Players with heart and passion who want to play for newcastle united”…Aimar would not tick those boxes

• Hadji

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Well time to pack my bags cos i’m heading to Herceg Novi(Montenegro) and Dubrovnik.
    I’m little pissed cos i’ll miss the opener but i’ll dig deep in those bookie places to see if they broadcast Man Utd-Newcastle.
    I hope when i come back on 21 i’ll see Colo,Belhadj and Gomis in our team.
    Good luck everyone and all the best from me.

• gorskino10

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM

I heard he said that he didn’t give KK a budget just he has to run it through Ashley first, lets just hope investors come in and give us the Transfer Budget we need for our sort of club it gets to a point when Fulham who will only just manage to avoid relegation have spend so much money, and same with the Machams.
    I will give Ashley a chance to see how much he will give in Jan Market as this may of been a one off (i hope) we cannot go into the season at any level with spending under 10 mill for ALL our plays combined.

• Lacedaemonian

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM

This business plan is for our long term future. I hope that we dont ever again collect as much dead wood in future as we have over the last 5 years or so.

• Nick C

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Davies, I am one of the Ashley sceptics. There are quite a few on this site and we predominantly are time served Mags who live in and around Newcastle.
    Lets have it right, none of us want to be proved correct about our owner. I will gladly eat humble pie if he turns out to be the backer we had hoped he would be. However 14 months down the line and all the evidence suggests that he doesn’t appear to want to part with too much of his hard earned.

• Carl

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:06 PM

My god can no-one see what is happening!
    There is real strife at our club and as far as I can see the local media and most blogs are just ignoring it.
    In the past you couldnt shut Keegan up. Since he was summoned down south for his telling off the only time you hear anything from KK is straight after a match. All summer the only stories in the local papers have been ex players opinions or crap about Amiobi etc…
    Futher indicators of tensions was KK answer to a question Re. Collicini coming in or other players. He just shrugged his shoulders and said “I havnt any news, others might have but I dont know anything, you will have to ask other people”.
    Now Athur Cox has left! More of his back room staff have left. Thses arent just media stories there is trouble at our club but people just have their collective head in the sand!

• 9 Shearer

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I hated MA but what stuck to him was that he was a billionare and you dont become that over one night. Thats the credit we get when some one speaks to us.

• Tom Cairns

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:12 PM

I really cant believe some people have managed to turn this very positive story into having a negative slant. unbelievable. im very much looking forward to ashley and keegan together proving the doubters wrong.

• BelgianSupporter

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:12 PM

today match time move

• GraemeR

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Why has it taken MA so long to conme out with this? Hopefully this is not some spin monkeys attempt to reason with us as to why we are not getting top players in……..

• Shearer9

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Mr Ashley Has reportedly given Mr Keegan the goal for this season, forth place! c’mon Mike, be optimistic will ya, following 3 defeats and a draw (one being donny), was that fourth bottom you plum, by all means 4th would be great and 1st even better but personally i think we should be targetting 6th, which is probably more realistic.

Also for those that don’t already know, Todays kick-off has been moved to 5pm.

• Davies

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Nick C – I understand your point, and I must amdit to having lived in Newcastle for only a little over a year as a teenager (when I discovered football), however, I’m not a sceptic for several reasons:

Ashley bought and invested in the club to the tune of somewhere between £210M and £280, I don’t know the exact funds. He wouldn’t strive to fail, or it would be a ridiculous investment for a businessman to make.

He hasn’t given details of a transfer kitty of any kind, small or otherwise, but said that if the deal is right he’ll back KK.

We have, in the past, thrown money around and ended up getting jack shit for it. I don’t need to go through the list of expensive trpophy signings that turned out to be utter failures at the club.

I’ve been a supporter for 21 years now and I have to admit, there have been better times at the club in that time. I’d just like to see the good times return. I think it could happen under KK with Ashley’s backing, which he has promised to give.

I hope I’m not proved wrong, and believe me, I’ll be sitting on the same side of the fence as you if I am, but I don’t think I will be.

• Punk Skunk

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Well said Mike Ashley!..

…Right, everyone understand?..

…Probably not?..

…What more do we actually NEED to know?..
    KK can buy the right players for NUFC, for the right reasons…Best way!..
    …’Clear as an unmuddied lake of purest summer azure’!..

• beye the great

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:27 PM

i believe ashley is good for our club ok there is no doubt he is going about this i n a cheap way but i believe this also is a more effective way as tottenham and city go about spending mney on big name players similar to our past while we go about finding them before they are famous for example we may ee a future kaka or ronaldo or rooney i hope and because we got them ehen they are young we dont have to pay as much this also helpful as you may have seen we cant attract big names anymore so we have to get them before they are bignames and before the likes of manu a and madrid and someday hopefully we can be mentioned in the same breath as these succesful clubs maybe after we have won the champs league lol,

• Nick C

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I understand your point about trophy signings. Don’t want them. But we do need significant investment to have any chance. There are plenty of players out there with Prem experience who would be common sense signings to get us back challenging for Europe. Seb Larrson from Brum would be my first choice. Wheater from Smogs another. Would love Ashton from the Hammers as well…

• Nick C

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Tom, don’t believe the hype.

• GraemeR

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Beye the Great – fully agree that we should be getting young players in b4 they are big – but how many players have we managed to bring through from youth to first team (let alone International recognition)?

We also need to buy some first team player or we may get into a downward spiral of “poor performance” leading to “poor league postion” leading to “no one wanting to sign” leading to “poor performances and so on” ………….

May sound sceptical and downhearted but I do fear the worst this season uless we can get some quality in…. KK to walk??? Relegation ???

• Wallsend Will

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Good comments etc from everyone, we do need to be patient. I prefer not to know who we’ve signed until the deed is done. But what about Michael Owen, we urgently need to sign him up now! Alex Ferguson is reportedly looking at various striking options and MO might be one of them? With the size of our current squad we need to keep what we’ve got, including Alan Smith and Shola’ Ameobi. (Replaced before they are allowed to leave maybe?)

• WIGAZ

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Well i’m glad he’s come out & said somethin but he’s left it to l8 in my opinion! hope we have 3 deals already gone through as we’re very short on numbers! i agree with him sayin need heart & passion, i think guthrie could end up being one hell of a buy & jonas so hopefully add colo in there & a couple of others & we’ll be ok! my 3 deals would hopefully be: Colo, Ashton/Derdi AM Fernandez/Riquelme!

• Ben_BKK

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM

GraemeR, had he not conned you out with it earlier? 😛

• dingo

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM

• 51times

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:42 PM

dingo – I support Rangers too, so it’s win/win for me.

• mozza

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:44 PM

arghhh me heeds thumpin of the wine last neet and we still haven’t signed anyone sigh

• HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Carl (15) – well put!! there is defo.. someting going on behind the scenes!! still believe hes out to sell at a profit! Ashley is good at descieving and manipulation! and wont show his real cards (poker face)!!!

• xfer

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Very good interview.

• Ericles

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM

We need a quality young striker to replace Smith whether he goes or not! I welcome Ashley’s words – especially those about KK and incoming players. About three in soon methink (including Coloccini). Looks like Ameobi’s injury will go beyond August end and miss the window. KK may HAVE to get something out of him! Watching the lads against Valencia may clear up some more doubts eh?

• pak-toon

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:08 PM

lets see if this MA theory is for real – according to him players like Skiljbred should already be signed!! unless KK doesn’t rate him; but him over smith anyday!

• Marguerite

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:11 PM

I maybe being naive, but the interview has impressed me. I cannot fault the ambition to model our club on the way Arsenal is run.

My understanding is that it will take time, but investment/improvement is the desired aim for those in charge of our club.

I knew the second that Shepherd brought in Souness we would be put back years and this has proved so. Naturally it will take time to move forward again.

Interesting comment that we still owe £27m on players purchased under the previous regime.

Lets face it we all want the same thing, success for Newcastle and I think we will have to wait a few more years and exercise our patience a little longer. The main thing is that we move in the right direction.

• Punk Skunk

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Let’s just hope it’s not a like for like striker with regard to smith…Or we’ll be getting a cardboard cut-out!..

• scott9

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM

iv seen were after cueller if we got him and a left back our defence would defo be sorted but before we get another cb seen as it luks like we hav got cocclina i think we need a midfielder and a striker i hav heard we are after
    Anatoliy Tymoschuk but probs just be rumours anyone no who he is

• Punk Skunk

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Agreed Margueritte,
    We only want players that WANT to play for NUFC from now on, not mercenaries!..