The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ashley – Players Need Heart And Passion For Newcastle

11:38 am, Saturday, August 9th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 79 Comments

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has spoken to the press, which is a rare event, and he has talked about the money available to Kevin to bring in new players – but he stresses the players have to right for the club.

mike-ashley-and-fans.jpg

Owner Mike Ashley – with Newcastle fans

In the interview Mike has stressed he will only pay out money for the right player, and that the player must want to come to Newcastle for the right reasons.

Ashley is quoted in the Daily Star today:

“Players have to tick a lot of boxes for us to be interested.”  “If we think he only wants to come to Newcastle for the wrong reasons, then we’ll say ‘you’re not for us’ and we’ll look elsewhere.”

“But there is money for Kevin to spend. If the deal is right – and that means it’s the right player who Kevin wants – then we will do that deal.” “The days of buying players at the wrong time are gone.”

“I don’t think the people and the structure we have now would have made the mistakes of the past.”

“The right player at the right time is who we are after now, players with the heart and passion to play for Newcastle and its supporters.”

“Kevin doesn’t stop emphasizing that.”

Nothing wrong at all with those comments from the owner, and we have little doubt that Mike is a big fan of Kevin Keegan – whatever the gossip papers say.

He just loved watching the Newcastle side in Kevin’s first management stint at the club, and even Kevin thinks Mike can be the perfect owner for the club.

So we just don’t believe things are as bad as some reports suggest in the gossip press – don’t forget they often think their job is to tear Newcastle apart – because that helps to sell their papers.

But there’s no doubt we’ve made some very bad buys under the Shepherd regime and his cronies, and we were often a laughing stock.

And certainly the deals Newcastle have made this summer, at least so far, have been excellent.

Maybe if we’re just a little more patient, some new players will arrive before the end of the month – and we may just be in business.

Good words from the owner, and we need to hear more of what he thinks about the club, and where we are going.

Comments very welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

79 responses so far ↓

• 1 SingaporeToon // Aug 9, 2008 at 11:39 AM

We will see at the end of the transfer period then. I really hope to see a few more quality signings coming to sjp but at least ashley came out and clear the air abit.

• 2 nightfall // Aug 9, 2008 at 11:43 AM

ashley…cheers ;)

• 3 Tom // Aug 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM

I like the way Ashley is doing this tbh. We don’t need to throw money at big players who are in it for the money anymore. We need players who are hungry, who want to prove themselves and who want to play for Newcastle United!!

• 4 Tom Cairns // Aug 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM

nice to hear its keegan dictating on the transfers, also brilliant to hear that no players will be coming for the “wrong reasons”. im assuming thats for the money, wonder if that could have been the case with aimar.

• 5 Lacedaemonian // Aug 9, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Pretty much all I could hope to hear.

• 6 Spyro // Aug 9, 2008 at 11:49 AM

these are encouraging comments, thinking back, KK said we would wait until near the end of the transfer window before we made our proper signings didnt he? In order to stop them from being hijacked by clubs with a bit more to offer in terms of Europe etc, cough* Spurs cough* lol

• 7 toon4lyf // Aug 9, 2008 at 11:52 AM

i would of luved if we got aimar

• 8 ginkoh // Aug 9, 2008 at 11:52 AM

100% Agree with him that we need good players with heart, spirit and professional. Sure It’s hard to get highest quality players in the same case because we cannot give them more ambition (I mean European football)as Tottenham. But If we can go to Europe next season, let’s see how exciting we got from Keegan’s side :)

• 9 Davies // Aug 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I hope that everyone be a little more chilled now and stop demanding that Ashley leave or sell or whatever.

Where are you Hate Prawn Sandwiches?

• 10 Spyro // Aug 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Toon4lyf, what part of Ashley’s comments suggest we were ever after Aimar???

“Players with heart and passion who want to play for newcastle united”…Aimar would not tick those boxes

• 11 Hadji // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Well time to pack my bags cos i’m heading to Herceg Novi(Montenegro) and Dubrovnik.
    I’m little pissed cos i’ll miss the opener but i’ll dig deep in those bookie places to see if they broadcast Man Utd-Newcastle.
    I hope when i come back on 21 i’ll see Colo,Belhadj and Gomis in our team.
    Good luck everyone and all the best from me.

• 12 gorskino10 // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM

I heard he said that he didn’t give KK a budget just he has to run it through Ashley first, lets just hope investors come in and give us the Transfer Budget we need for our sort of club it gets to a point when Fulham who will only just manage to avoid relegation have spend so much money, and same with the Machams.
    I will give Ashley a chance to see how much he will give in Jan Market as this may of been a one off (i hope) we cannot go into the season at any level with spending under 10 mill for ALL our plays combined.

• 13 Lacedaemonian // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM

This business plan is for our long term future. I hope that we dont ever again collect as much dead wood in future as we have over the last 5 years or so.

• 14 Nick C // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Davies, I am one of the Ashley sceptics. There are quite a few on this site and we predominantly are time served Mags who live in and around Newcastle.
    Lets have it right, none of us want to be proved correct about our owner. I will gladly eat humble pie if he turns out to be the backer we had hoped he would be. However 14 months down the line and all the evidence suggests that he doesn’t appear to want to part with too much of his hard earned.

• 15 Carl // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:06 PM

My god can no-one see what is happening!
    There is real strife at our club and as far as I can see the local media and most blogs are just ignoring it.
    In the past you couldnt shut Keegan up. Since he was summoned down south for his telling off the only time you hear anything from KK is straight after a match. All summer the only stories in the local papers have been ex players opinions or crap about Amiobi etc…
    Futher indicators of tensions was KK answer to a question Re. Collicini coming in or other players. He just shrugged his shoulders and said “I havnt any news, others might have but I dont know anything, you will have to ask other people”.
    Now Athur Cox has left! More of his back room staff have left. Thses arent just media stories there is trouble at our club but people just have their collective head in the sand!

• 16 9 Shearer // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:11 PM

I hated MA but what stuck to him was that he was a billionare and you dont become that over one night. Thats the credit we get when some one speaks to us.

• 17 Tom Cairns // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:12 PM

I really cant believe some people have managed to turn this very positive story into having a negative slant. unbelievable. im very much looking forward to ashley and keegan together proving the doubters wrong.

• 18 BelgianSupporter // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:12 PM

today match time move

• 19 GraemeR // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Why has it taken MA so long to conme out with this? Hopefully this is not some spin monkeys attempt to reason with us as to why we are not getting top players in……..

• 20 Shearer9 // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Mr Ashley Has reportedly given Mr Keegan the goal for this season, forth place! c’mon Mike, be optimistic will ya, following 3 defeats and a draw (one being donny), was that fourth bottom you plum, by all means 4th would be great and 1st even better but personally i think we should be targetting 6th, which is probably more realistic.

Also for those that don’t already know, Todays kick-off has been moved to 5pm.

• 21 Davies // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Nick C – I understand your point, and I must amdit to having lived in Newcastle for only a little over a year as a teenager (when I discovered football), however, I’m not a sceptic for several reasons:

Ashley bought and invested in the club to the tune of somewhere between £210M and £280, I don’t know the exact funds. He wouldn’t strive to fail, or it would be a ridiculous investment for a businessman to make.

He hasn’t given details of a transfer kitty of any kind, small or otherwise, but said that if the deal is right he’ll back KK.

We have, in the past, thrown money around and ended up getting jack shit for it. I don’t need to go through the list of expensive trpophy signings that turned out to be utter failures at the club.

I’ve been a supporter for 21 years now and I have to admit, there have been better times at the club in that time. I’d just like to see the good times return. I think it could happen under KK with Ashley’s backing, which he has promised to give.

I hope I’m not proved wrong, and believe me, I’ll be sitting on the same side of the fence as you if I am, but I don’t think I will be.

• 22 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Well said Mike Ashley!..

…Right, everyone understand?..

…Probably not?..

…What more do we actually NEED to know?..
    KK can buy the right players for NUFC, for the right reasons…Best way!..
    …’Clear as an unmuddied lake of purest summer azure’!..

• 23 beye the great // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:27 PM

i believe ashley is good for our club ok there is no doubt he is going about this i n a cheap way but i believe this also is a more effective way as tottenham and city go about spending mney on big name players similar to our past while we go about finding them before they are famous for example we may ee a future kaka or ronaldo or rooney i hope and because we got them ehen they are young we dont have to pay as much this also helpful as you may have seen we cant attract big names anymore so we have to get them before they are bignames and before the likes of manu a and madrid and someday hopefully we can be mentioned in the same breath as these succesful clubs maybe after we have won the champs league lol,

• 24 Nick C // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I understand your point about trophy signings. Don’t want them. But we do need significant investment to have any chance. There are plenty of players out there with Prem experience who would be common sense signings to get us back challenging for Europe. Seb Larrson from Brum would be my first choice. Wheater from Smogs another. Would love Ashton from the Hammers as well…

• 25 Nick C // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Tom, don’t believe the hype.

• 26 GraemeR // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Beye the Great – fully agree that we should be getting young players in b4 they are big – but how many players have we managed to bring through from youth to first team (let alone International recognition)?

We also need to buy some first team player or we may get into a downward spiral of “poor performance” leading to “poor league postion” leading to “no one wanting to sign” leading to “poor performances and so on” ………….

May sound sceptical and downhearted but I do fear the worst this season uless we can get some quality in…. KK to walk??? Relegation ???

• 27 Wallsend Will // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Good comments etc from everyone, we do need to be patient. I prefer not to know who we’ve signed until the deed is done. But what about Michael Owen, we urgently need to sign him up now! Alex Ferguson is reportedly looking at various striking options and MO might be one of them? With the size of our current squad we need to keep what we’ve got, including Alan Smith and Shola’ Ameobi. (Replaced before they are allowed to leave maybe?)

• 28 WIGAZ // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Well i’m glad he’s come out & said somethin but he’s left it to l8 in my opinion! hope we have 3 deals already gone through as we’re very short on numbers! i agree with him sayin need heart & passion, i think guthrie could end up being one hell of a buy & jonas so hopefully add colo in there & a couple of others & we’ll be ok! my 3 deals would hopefully be: Colo, Ashton/Derdi AM Fernandez/Riquelme!

• 29 Ben_BKK // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM

GraemeR, had he not conned you out with it earlier? :P

• 30 dingo // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM

lets hope its true

• 31 51times // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:42 PM

dingo – I support Rangers too, so it’s win/win for me.

• 32 mozza // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:44 PM

arghhh me heeds thumpin of the wine last neet and we still haven’t signed anyone sigh

• 33 HATE PRAWN SANDWICHES // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Carl (15) – well put!! there is defo.. someting going on behind the scenes!! still believe hes out to sell at a profit! Ashley is good at descieving and manipulation! and wont show his real cards (poker face)!!!

• 34 xfer // Aug 9, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Very good interview.

• 35 Ericles // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM

We need a quality young striker to replace Smith whether he goes or not! I welcome Ashley’s words – especially those about KK and incoming players. About three in soon methink (including Coloccini). Looks like Ameobi’s injury will go beyond August end and miss the window. KK may HAVE to get something out of him! Watching the lads against Valencia may clear up some more doubts eh?

• 36 pak-toon // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:08 PM

lets see if this MA theory is for real – according to him players like Skiljbred should already be signed!! unless KK doesn’t rate him; but him over smith anyday!

• 37 Marguerite // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:11 PM

I maybe being naive, but the interview has impressed me. I cannot fault the ambition to model our club on the way Arsenal is run.

My understanding is that it will take time, but investment/improvement is the desired aim for those in charge of our club.

I knew the second that Shepherd brought in Souness we would be put back years and this has proved so. Naturally it will take time to move forward again.

Interesting comment that we still owe £27m on players purchased under the previous regime.

Lets face it we all want the same thing, success for Newcastle and I think we will have to wait a few more years and exercise our patience a little longer. The main thing is that we move in the right direction.

• 38 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Let’s just hope it’s not a like for like striker with regard to smith…Or we’ll be getting a cardboard cut-out!..

• 39 scott9 // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM

iv seen were after cueller if we got him and a left back our defence would defo be sorted but before we get another cb seen as it luks like we hav got cocclina i think we need a midfielder and a striker i hav heard we are after
    Anatoliy Tymoschuk but probs just be rumours anyone no who he is

• 40 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Agreed Margueritte,
    We only want players that WANT to play for NUFC from now on, not mercenaries!..

• 41 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Tymoschuk plays for Zenit & imho is just what we need, great player, big strong, composed…Nice!..

…Grab Pogrebnyak while we’re there please!..

• 42 clinta // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Nice article! It suprises me how fans constantly criticise MA and co. on this blog, we where in for Modric (£15m ) but it didn’t go through which is evidence of what he’s saying if it’s a class player and right for the team, which Modric would of been, we’ll make a move for the player.

Also do people forget the great deals we’ve done since AM took over, the 7 players we got in mostly on the cheap last year which transformed our squad, most looking great players now! and all for the price of a Luque or two??!!!!

but still people moan, splash the cash as if that’s ever got us anywhere before.

maybe the problem with our beloved club in the past is that the decision makers were listening to much to blinded toon fans like people on here and not enough to common sense!

I’m glad those days have changed.

• 43 Nobby's dad // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM

HPS…..and Carl. Why when Asley has stated several times he doesn’t want to sell do you STILL keep saying he does?? Why not accept what the man who owns our great club says FFS!!

What has been well put by Carl?? Real strife!! If KK didn’t like it he’d be off – lets face it he has a history of leaving if it’s not as the brochure says. You couldn’t shut him up…..that was 12 years ago, he’s an old and possibly wiser man. He’s not the same person who made the famous I’d love it rant. I

• 44 Davies // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Totally agree with you Nick, I’d love to see Seb Larsson in the black and white, and if Brimingham can be persuaded to part with him and KK wants him, I’m sure that he would be a Newcastle player.

Don’t think we’d stand much chance of getting Ashton, he seems a bit like a London boy and has just signed for anther five years at West Ham, mind you, that didn’t stop Spurs having a crack at him.

The frustrating thing for both of us has to be the silence regarding a lot of our transfer activity. Whilst I think it’s a good thing that we are trying to do things behind closed doors, it does leave the likes of you and me at loggerheads as to whether investment is being made.

I like to think that there will be a couple more signings along the lines of Danny Guthrie and Jonas Gutierrez that the press didn’t even get a whiff of until the day it happened.

Unfortunately, until the signings are announced, neither you nor I know where Mike Ashley is spending his cash. I suppose I choose to put a little faith in him because he’s a bit of an unknown quantity to me, but if he promises to back Keegan, I’ll take him at his word until I know otherwise.

• 45 Davies // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:42 PM

HPS, with remarks like “Ashley is good at decieving and manipulation!” you sound like you think Mike Ashley is some kind of alien overlord trying to brainwash people or take over the world or something.

Do you know Mike Ashley? Did he steal your wife or lie to you?

The man hardly ever speaks to the press, so how can you possibly know what type of person he is. Are you a mackem?

• 46 Davies // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:43 PM

With you all the way Nobby’s Dad.

• 47 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:45 PM

HPS, i thought you wanted him to sell NUFC?..

• 48 michael // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:46 PM

gud point ashley so get in your hand in your pocket and buy some players like seb larsson, derdiyok and get rid of the players who dont play with passion who just pick up there wage like smith , viduka , geremi , cacapa , faye and a few others.

• 49 Bucks_mag // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:49 PM

always backed him. Good on yer Ash!

• 50 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Would love Larsson, but his chairman said he won’t sell unless someone bids silly money…£18m, his words, not mine!..
    …CAn he stop him going?..Who knows in todays climate!?!..

• 51 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM

There’s nowt wrong with Faye!..
    …Helloooooooo?..

• 52 Carl // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Nobbys Dad,
    not once did I call MA. I said there is trouble behind the scenes that will build all season. I or no-one else knows MAs motives, only time will tell.
    What I was trying to get across is that there are massive tensions between KK and the team MA has put in place in London.
    KK was being very open with press until he was hauled down to London for a bollocking. Since then he has only spoken when he has absolutely had to ie. to comment on players after a match etc…
    Keegan is a very stubborn man and in my opinion whatever happened at that meeting has caused KK to say stuff you Im saying nothing at all unless it is to do with team matters.
    Keep a close eye on his interviews (if you can find any) and you will see what I mean.
    Hey I hope everything turns out fine. But the very fact that KKs backroom staff gets smaller by the day, I think summit is up!

• 53 Toon1978 // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Dream defence for next season……

Beye….Cuellar…..Colocinni….Taiwo

• 54 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 1:59 PM

I’m glad KK has shut up talking to the rags, whey hey, about time!..Sick to death of the whole ‘wearing ya’ heart on ya’ sleeve’ bollox!..
    It just gives them divvies something to spin!..
    …GIVE THEM NOTHING!..

• 55 Geordie Nick // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:04 PM

must admit i have never been an ashley fan, thought he put good foundations in place for future of the club but i thought he was goin to be a tight a*se, but this interview has put my mind at rest and if ther is money available but only to players who tick evry box then then can only be a good thing. fingers crossed he keeps his word and releases funds wen necessary

• 56 Bill F SPLASH THE CASH ASH // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Punk Skunk I hate to dissillusion you but all players are mercenaries. It is pride and and desire to please their current audience that motivates them. But I would agree up to a point there are some who look to their next club to make a fast buck and are happy to bench sit whilst they are drawing the big wages, these are the mercenaries we do not want. The former type we do want.

• 57 ObaFan2 // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Punk S, I agree with KK not talking to the rags but come match days we all want him to speak to us…. the fans :)

• 58 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I’m under no illusions Bill…I’m also no clairvoyant!..

…Suffice to say, it’s obvious some players love playing for us, & others would love to!..While others don’t & wouldn’t!..
    …Ya’ can’t tar ‘all’ players with the same brush!..

• 59 Toon1978 // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:10 PM

ASHLEY IS OUR HERO LALALALA!!!!!!!

• 60 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:11 PM

So long as he gives the press nowt & speaks sense, not just pouring his heart out for the sake of it!..

• 61 chuck // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Ed, please! think man.
    Players who only come for the right reasons may have been true fifty years ago, to day its for
    “THE DOSH” they will not only kiss badges they
    will also kiss the publics *ss, listen to Coloccini ,
    great club bla, bla, bla, sure we just doubled his wages i believe, think he came to a cold ass northern town for anything but?
    Hey I would like to believe Ashley, but its just spin.

• 62 ObaFan2 // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Aye Punk, I do think MA’s had a word in his shell like but we love his words of wisdom and he’s the voice of thousands.

Who still buys the rags? it’s beyond me tbh !

• 63 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Chuck, aye…but at least Colo left Coruna on excellent terms too, so it says he has some feeling’s for the teams he plays for, doesn’t it?..

..Yea, ObaFan…i agree…I just don’t wanna ever go back to all the blabbing the club used to do under the last lot!..Knuck Fows who still buys that crap toilet paper?.. :D

• 64 SignPleaseColoccini // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Stoke are in talks with Zigic about a loan move. why aren’t we doing that, no transfer fee = no risk. Experienced target man who can stay fit unlike Viduka. Why are so many people desperate to sign cuellar. Has no prem experience and before rangers only played for mid table spanish clubs he would be a flop like boumsong!!

• 65 ObaFan2 // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:35 PM

If Colo is any where near to having Spidey’s ability and apparant commitment to the Toon we’ll have one fine centre back at the club.

I’m already converted and have Spidey as my second fav player after Oba ofc :)

Can’t wait for the two to play together tbh.

• 66 hitman // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:39 PM

i’ll hold my hands up here lads,i wasnt for ashley but after reading his interview i can now see what he is doing to our club the future looks good for the toon.

• 67 ObaFan2 // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM

Ok I’m off to the match….. lets hope it’s a good one and Valencia look alot stronger team than PSV.

Hope Colo’s there….. plz… even if he’s not playing.

• 68 Punk Skunk // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Nice one Hitman!..

…Njoy ObaFan, you lucky bazza!.. :D

• 69 hitman // Aug 9, 2008 at 2:45 PM

oba i was going to go but done in off the drink.lol.any links to the game lads

• 70 harriet // Aug 9, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Carl you ever think that keegan’s media silence was because the media and gossip press twisted his post chelsea comments to hell in order to try and make him look a fool? could that not be why? or because he is passionate and prone to outbursts and worried he might say the wrong thing about transfers? or is the s*n and the daily m**l gospel? do you think arthur cox might have left cause he is ancient and keegan brought in hughton as his assistant?

• 71 harrier // Aug 9, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Carl you ever think that keegan’s media silence was because the media and gossip press twisted his post chelsea comments to hell in order to try and make him look a fool? could that not be why? or because he is passionate and prone to outbursts and worried he might say the wrong thing about transfers???? or is the s*n and the daily m**l gospel? do you think arthur cox might have left cause he is ancient and keegan brought in hughton as his assistant?

• 72 micepie // Aug 9, 2008 at 3:32 PM

Although everyone has a total right to express opinions on here – and we want a variety of openion at that – I really believe that any fans who have a a particularly negative view of anything (e.g – Carl) should keep their opinions amongst friends and family but not put them a on here.
    For one thing, I find it hard to consider anyone who doesn’t have some optimism at the start of a season to be true fan at all. And if you have a gloomy view of things but have no concrete evidence to back up the gloom – just suspicions and heresay – best to really keep schtum.

Thankfully there are also a lot of us not adding to the whingefest, as one person rightly pointed out this blog can sometimes turn into

• 73 Carl // Aug 9, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Micepie,
    lol, so this should basically just be for people who want to speak all things sugar and spice about NUFC.
    Unfortunately over the past 10 years the people that you would call for having a negative view have more often than not been proven correct.
    I support MA and hope his way of running Newcastle works as it cant be any worse than fat Freddies! All I am saying, if you read the words I said are that I dont think the realationship between KK, MA and the team MA has put together in London will work in the long term as KK likes to feel in control and at the moment he is not in my opinion.
    And regarding Cox leaving because Keegan brought in Chris hughton. First of all once again Keegan had nothing to do with bringing him in, second he is 1st team coach not a role that would have anything to do with Cox!

• 74 cheeks // Aug 9, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Carl……If things were so bad do you really think Keegan would stay at the club??!! Its not as if he needs the cash or the hassle, and given his track record he’d be the first one to walk if things were not to his liking!!

Anyone with any sense knows this. People like you just look for reasons to be negative, and you are a disease to the club!

• 75 Ian // Aug 9, 2008 at 4:45 PM

It has taken a long time for him to come out and start talking about the club, if it had been mine either I would have done it, or I would have had someone else do it for me straightaway.

I hope this is all genuine, I really dont know one way or the other so I will sit back and watch what happens.

If at the end of the transfer window we have a better team then we know he was being straight with us, if not then we will have to wait and see what is said, how they go and what they do in the January window if all is not going well.

I hope he is genuine however his comments always seem to be at times where people could think they were firefighting.

ie after a very poor turnout for a friendly and with the Owen going to Spurs press etc

I hope he has bought it and wants to keep it.

• 76 Carl // Aug 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM

Cheeks,
    in actual fact. Keegan has just recently lost millions of his own cash with his failed Soccer Circus. So yes he does need the cash my friend. And I also think he will stick it out for a little longer as everybody is just waiting for him to walk out as he has done it eveywhere he has been and he wont want people to say I told you so.
    It is people like you who are like little NUFC fascists. Anyone who says anything that isnt absolutley glowing about our great NUFC is shot down like some type of rabid heretic. lol or as a disease as you put it. Just because I think KK isnt actually the real messiah and just because I express the view that I think he and the club owners dont get on and that this will cause problems, I am diseased. This just goes to prove that it is like talking to religious zelots when talking to some NUFC supporters.
    “You dare to blaspheme about the great NUFC, you dare to suggest the mighty KK cannot walk on water! You dare to suggest St, James Park isnt actually the garden of Eden and that everyone within dances around in the the joy that they are all as one! You shall from here on in be known as not a real fan until you repent and come to think like the rest of us that never again can anything ever be wrong at NUFC!”

• 77 Toon Raghav // Aug 9, 2008 at 6:53 PM

very funny comments frm looser MA.he just wants to sell da club wid huge profits.These all comments dont makes any sense until he really spends on quality players.He is just waiting for good offers ,& when one comes he would be gone.He says he wants top 4,but he really means bottom half top 4 coz wid this team we are only going to reach where we left last season.we still need at least 3 players which doesnt seems to be happening as he has no money left after spending for collocini.

• 78 Toon Raghav // Aug 9, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Carl r u Ashley who is pretending is carla..KK rocks,if he gets proper finacial backing then we won’t have to face the misery that we have been facing since past two seasons.

• 79 Ross // Aug 10, 2008 at 7:27 PM

i’ve read the entire interview and yes its a newcastle magazine so they’re not going to make him out to look negative like the papers, but as far as im concerned we’re getting the truth here.
    in reading the interview i felt like i learnt alot and a my opinion changed a little on ashley, he’s got the clubs best interests at heart definitly i reckon.

previous post: Two Newcastle Transfers Are Imminent