Given Plans To Remain Newcastle Goalkeeper For Some Time

Shay Given spent time with his family in the Mediterranean this summer and followed a strict fitness regime to regain his old fitness.

shay-given-2341.jpg

Shay Given – could be fitter now than for many a season

Shay trained every morning, but also had his family over with him so he could spent the rest of the time with his family. Sounds like a good arrangement, and it allowed Shay to start the pre-season super fit.

“I was known as ‘Lazarus’ before, but they call me ‘Sicknote’ now!” “I’m hoping that’s all behind me. I’ve still got to do strengthening exercises in the gym to stay on top of things, but touch wood it’s gone.”

“I had two operations in April, then for three weeks I didn’t really do anything, the wound was healing. After that I was starting recovery work in the gym. I’ve been training all summer really.”

“I went to Spain, the physio came out with me and we were training together for three weeks. It was a joint decision with the club. Marbella Football Club were kind enough to let me use their facilities.”

“It was good to have a change of scenery and spend a bit of time with the family as well, because they came over too. We trained hard until lunchtime then I spent the rest of the day with the family. We did a lot of gym work, then a lot of goalkeeping.”

“I hope the injury situation is all over with now. I felt I had to work through the summer this year. I just wanted to get myself firing for the start of the season. Everything’s been going well, and I feel fit and strong.”

“It’s been really frustrating the last couple of years. It stemmed from the challenge at West Ham and it’s been stop-starty for me since, especially considering that previous to that I’d gone so many seasons barely missing a game.”

Shay has only had around 30 games since the Upton Park disaster almost two years ago now, but he is still fairly young for a goalkeeper, at 32 years old, and has always taken very good care of himself.

“I’ve just turned 32 in April which in goalkeeping terms is still quite young,” “You look at Brad Friedel who has just moved to Villa at the age of 37 on a three-year contract and David James has probably just had the best season of his career at 37.”

“I’d like to play as long as I can. People say you should retire at the top and hopefully I will, but I’d just like to play as many games as I can and see where that takes me.”

Shay has always wanted to be successful at Newcastle, ever since he arrives in the summer of 1997, in terms of helping Newcastle win something, although he hasn’t been successful at that, well not yet at least.

“I can’t say it is going to be better, but we certainly hope so,” “I do feel we need to strengthen the squad a bit more.”

“I’m not going to say it’s going to be better or that we’re going to finish here or there, it’s hard to judge.”

We still don’t know who will be number 1 goalkeeper, starting in a week’s time at Old Trafford.

But we suspect Shay could get the nod at Manchester United, and then it will be on how good his form is, as to whether he can keep hold of the goalkeeper jersey, from his more than capable deputy, Steve Harper.

• Clarke_19_rangers

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:03 AM

1st
    shay is a good keeper but i expect in a few years krul will take over,
    NUFC v VALENCIA 5PM:
    THERS ONLY ONE BOBBY ROBSON
    THERS ONLY ONE BOBBY ROBSON
    WALKING ALONG, SINGING A SONG
    WALKING IN A ROBSON WONDERLAND

• Graham

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM

and? Grow up!

• Graham

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM

I’m with you Ed, I reckon Shay will get the nod next week – don’t agree with it mind as Harper is just as good as shay (more commanding in the 6 yard box too) and was excellent last season when Shay was knackered.

• beye the great

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM

its a tough call between harper and given and in a few years frul harper given forster and potentially soderberg

• neb14

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:25 AM

nufc nufc

• Nenad

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I’m pleased with our goalkeepers, both Shay and Steve are more than able.

The only thing that bugs me is Krul – I really do hope that he will be the next nuber one when Shay retires. I mean, all this talk of his talent and potential… Hope we don’t release him, and splash millions on a new GK…

Howay The Lads!

• DanTheMan!!

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:35 AM

soderberg is shite

• Ronnufc

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Given is still one of the best keepers in the premiership imo, only cech and reina could be considered better. Harper is top notch but Shay is still our best keeper. I think when he retires in a few yrs time we’ll find it very hard to replace him, hopefully one of Krul, Forster or Sodeberg live up to there potential so we’ll have a ready made replacement.

• reillers

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:57 AM

The wee lad’s been working really hard anyway that’s for sure. He doesn’t lack heart, never did. He’s a fantastic keeper, still better then Harper I think, hopefully he’ll get the nod for the Man U game. I think we’re in store for a massive season from Given if he starts. He deserves it after what he’s been through with the injuries, he’s a top pro and is just a complete gentleman. I hope he has a fantastic season.

• Martin

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:31 PM

For all that Newcastle have their flaws – thanks to Shay and Stevey Harper we’ve been one of if not the only team in the premiership to have 10 year worth of top quality goal keepers!

Hopefully with Krul and Forster coming up we’ll have another 10 years to come!

• xfer

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Hardworker… Keep them coming!

• Paul

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM

harper all tha way….look at theyre records….harper concedes less goals per game on avaerage…fact
    shay is good but why cant we let harps carry on where he left off??
    i personally think harps is better when he has been given a run of games….well..even when hes jsut standing in i think hes better, so giv him a good run of games…maybe the season as no1 and harps 4 england can be the chants 😀

• Bucks_mag

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM

given is the better keeper – he is more agile than harper, as well as quicker so he can pull off the more spectacular saves