Guthrie Has Everything It Takes To Be Great At Newcastle

Our new boy Danny Guthrie has told Newcastle United fans he wants to be like Rob Lee, who Kevin Keegan made into a top midfielder in his first management spell at the club.

danny-guthrie-43.jpg

Danny Guthrie – great midfielder in the making

The Liverpool academy player has scored two good goals in pred-season, and of course spent last year at Bolton Wanderers, and has said that scoring goals in one area of his game that he wants to work on as he talked to the Newcastle Journal today:

“I have not exactly been known for my goalscoring in the past so I am delighted,”

“Last season being in the Bolton side it wasn’t that easy, bearing in mind I hardly got any chances.”

“I am playing with a different class of player this year and they find you when you make runs into the box.”

“It is part of my game I am trying to improve because a goalscoring midfielder is invaluable. I want to be a box-to-box player.”

“The best midfielders, like (Frank) Lampard and (Steven) Gerrard always get 10-15 goals a season.”

“They set the standards and I want to be up there with those sorts of players.”

Guthrie seemed pleased when his boss compared him with the great Rob Lee, and he has already praised the man management skills of Kevin:

“It is always fantastic to hear when you are being compared to great players of the past but you want compliments from current players as well,”

“It was a nice confidence boost but I have got to keep my feet on the ground.“The manager is great. We have had a tough pre-season and have started to wind down now. He enjoys a great banter with the players.”

“He is not a manager who doesn’t talk to his players, he is very hands-on. You listen because of what he has done in the game.”

Guthrie looks almost the perfect player for Kevin Keegan to mange, he seems to have loads of skill, has been a top player since he was an England Schoolboy International, seems down to earth and sensible, and very willing to listen to and learn from his boss.

Danny has been on the books of two of England’s biggest clubs – Manchester United and Liverpool – and now he has arrived at Newcastle, he is more than anxious to establish himself at St James’s Park.

“It was great to come away from one big club to another and to feel wanted,” “Hopefully I can improve here and become a much better player. It was sad to leave Liverpool but I had to be realistic.”

“I played seven games and could have maybe got ten to 15 games a season, but I need 40 a year at this stage of my career. To make the step up I need to play.”

“I need to prove them wrong. I won’t be the first or last player to leave a big club for another and it is how you react that matters.”

Danny will be motivated too when we goto Old Trafford for our first game a week tomorrow, and it’s almost certain Guthrie will line up with Nicky Butt in central midfield. It will be tough game for the 21 year-old, no doubt.

“I was at Manchester United as a kid even though I signed a scholarship with Liverpool at 16,” “I went to Man Utd in the summer holidays when I was growing up. I never signed for them but I was there from 11 to 15.”

“Manchester United will always be a massive game for me. I wouldn’t say it means anything different to me but at the same time it is always great if you can prove someone wrong.”

“At 16 I met Steve Heighway and that was that, I signed for Liverpool.” “It never came to Man Utd offering me anything because I had already agreed to go to Liverpool. I spoke to Heighway and thought: ‘That’s good enough for me.’

“I was an England schoolboy and it was not a difficult decision to make.”

We haven’t signed many players this season, and so far we haven’t signed enough players either.

But at least the players Kevin has brought in so far are great for the club, and seem to have fantastic attitudes.

Danny is already a favorite with the Newcastle fans, and this season will be a landmark one for the boy.

He seems to have everything it takes to become a great midfielder at Newcastle, under Kevin’s careful guidance.

We hope so.   😀

• Ryan

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:33 AM

1st comment. Great word from player. Hope he really motivated to work hard

• CRAIGG

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:34 AM

The signings thus far look great.

Guthrie, Gutierrez and Bassong all picked up for relatively cheap and already look a steal and if they can continue their great starts for the long term can be legends.

Collocini when finally confirmed should be an outstanding signing and one we desperately need to add stability to the back four and bring on the young defenders.

If we sign Stephen Warnock and i know it seems unrealistic but Nigel De Jong who could replace Butt long term and allow Guthrie/Barton to push on and support the attack then i would back us for top 10.

Also if we can flog Smith and Ameobi and bring in a finisher like Healy who can nick us 5-10 goals from the bench or covering injuries to our main strikers then i would be delirious.

• scottish mag

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:35 AM

he will be the next gerrard

i say we get another DM like tymoschuk who we have been linked to today and push guthrie into attacking mid as he has already proved he is creative and he can score goals if pushed forward

• ANON

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:36 AM

CRAIGG,

HEALY??? HEALY???

You are funny………….

• ToonEskimo

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:38 AM

He seems like a canny lad and will no doubt be chomping at the bit to become a first team regular, I know we haven’t signed loads of players but it looks like we have got tremendous value for money, unlike Liverpool with Keane…

• ANON

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:38 AM

CRAIGG

we have 2 short arsed strikers currently and one big fat one….why o why would we want another dwarf in the shape of healy??

DERDYOK is the way forward, 6ft heaps of pace can play a bit, and at 19…….the kid will become a great striker!!!

• scottish mag

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM

baptista joins roma according to reports in italy

and cisse still wants prem

• linz

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Anyone heard anymore on the supposed Derdiyok bid….??

• CRAIGG

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Anon

I dont think that spending a lot of money on Derdiyok is clever, We need a quality Holding midfield player and A qulaity left back that will cost a lot of money.

We will spend £10m on Collocini and as KK doesnt look like he has a lot of money i think we should look for cheaper options than spending £6m on an unproven striker.

Therefore Healy who has a great scoring record against quality opposition at international level and is available for under £2m, If we need height up front then we could use Carroll, Baheng or Zamblera if Viduka isnt available.

• autibo

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:48 AM

just looking realistically at our squad and i’d say we should already be looking at top-ten, but with 2-3 additions in the right areas i think we could well push for top-6

we need a defensive midfielder to take over from butt as he can no longer get around the pitch. i’d take tymoschuk or inler any day!! unfortunately looks like inler could be off to the gooners

also i still think we’re missing a little bit of craft, dynamism and flair in the middle – moutinho £15m, baptista £8m, afellay £10m, matias fernandez £12m – any of these would be great signings and not particularly expensive in todays market. i think this is the really key area for us. afellay could be very shrewd as i think he looks like a great prospect

then lastly i think we need a striker as sadly i dont think viduka is going to play 20 games this season. deridyok £5m, pogrebnyak £8m, or pavlyuchenko £12m would all be class buys

• Tom

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Thankfully! Now people can stop kidding themselves over signing Baptista!! Derdiyok is the guy we need to sign up front!! 🙂

• 9 Shearer

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I would like him to replace Butt, he has to first improve on his game reading and tackling then he will be in my first team. I looks like Duff, Gutierezz and Milner have won the other places.

• sirjasontoon

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Let’s put things into perspective..since Gutherie joined he has had a couple of decent games (against poor opposition)and he is now going to be the next Gerrard or Rob Lee…I really don’t think so matey.

Healey is not the type of player I want in a Newcastle shirt do the maths Fulham spend millions on A Johnson and we get a useless cast off for about 2million from them…I think that is shocking.

I just think this window and the last one has shown that Ashley has no ambition…he is living in cloud cuckoo land..look at the squad and how many would get into a top four side…..very few in my humble opinion.

Coloccini will be an excellent signing…proven international..I fear this will be the only big(ish)signing we make in a long time.

• Esborg

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Looks like a great signing this one, and a great attitude and prospect for the future. But will he be ready this season?? I am from norway and just read that PER CILJAN SKJELBRED will sign a new contract today with Rosenborg(http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/2008/08/09/543076.html),

and if he was keegan second choice I pray that the first choice is on the club’s books, SOON! We need and are crying out for some creative mid! Regards from Norway (sorry for my bad english)

• nightfall

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:53 AM

all i can say is: “thank god ashley bought the club. he brought in one of the best managers, cleared us of all debts, brought great scouts, and good negotiators. what else do we want? (besides 3-4 more signings 🙂 ) guys..we’re going up” 😉

• over-the-toon

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:54 AM

the game is delayed today, but the game will still be on livefootydoctor, i watched the last game on there it takes u 2 nufctv free

• Mikey24

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Good lad!! Seems like KK is working his magic in the transfer window. Can see Guthrie becoming a bit of a legend on Tyneside

• toontilidie

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Taye Taiwo @ St.James’s fee of 6.3 m agreed will sign by monday!

• Mark

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:08 AM

@ toontilidie

Whats your source mate?

• Toon

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM

His source is the football 365 forum he doesnt actually have a clue.

• Ronnufc

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Who’s Taiwo? Wot position? Who’s he play for? Where did you hear this?

• Tom

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Nigerian 23 year old left back. Plays for Marseille.

• Ben_BKK

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Taiwo is either a striker or a left back, I always get him confused with someone else at Marseille, which is who Taiwo plays for, Ronnufc.

Big, powerful, Nigerian I think, though he’s around 27-29 or something like that. I think he could be a good signing though.

• Ben_BKK

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM

There you go, I was confused with Niang, who’s the older one…

• Ben_BKK

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Bit of trivia for Coloccini fans, according to Wikipedia, he played every minute of every La Liga game for Deportivo, the only player in the league to do so. Won’t that be good, the complete opposite of an injury-prone player…

• Spyro

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM

yes ben that is true, go to the bobby robson petition article if you want more info on colo, i pasted it all up on there last night

• Norwegian Magpie

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:46 AM

If Taiwo is on his way in we should be very very happy. He is one of the most exciting prospects of backs in the world today. He’s 23, plays for Marseille and is already considered top international level. I really dont’t believe the story to be true, but if it was it would sureley be an awsome signing!

• si942

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Great signing for the club a real bargain

• patrick kisnorbo

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:37 PM

we missed out on Modric and Arda Turan but in Gutierrez we have a really exciting winger

• micepie

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Would love us to snap up another mf bargain like Guthrie before the tramsfer window shuts. I’m sure there will be others around (it may be possible to get one of Arsenal’s lesser-known young reserve mf for 3M, say).

Colo, a striker like Derdiyok and another Guthrie steal would do me fine, personally. Someone who is at least 19 ideally.

Great to hear that Prem clubs can have 7 subs this season! I had no idea. It’ll at least mean that sides should have a variety of different back-up cover for all areas of the pitch. That might ensure that players like Lua Lua, Bassong, Tozer etc are waiting in the wings but not out in “Siberia”.