The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Keegan – Shay’s Penalty Save Got Us Going

12:14 am, Sunday, August 24th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 34 Comments

Owen did today what we bought him for, three years ago from Real Madrid – to score the winning goal for us to get us all 3 points.

Shay Given – brilliant penalty save changed game

Michael had been on the field only 20 minutes when he proved again to any doubters that he still has that knack of being in the right place at the right time.

He got on the end of a nice Geremi cross to head in what proved to be the winner after 71 minutes of a hard fought game at St. James’ Park this afternoon.

Kevin Keegan was naturally delighted at the goal and the result as he talked about Michael after the game:

“He’s a class player with a great goal record, he was 75 percent fit, and I was going to put him on for the last 15 minutes if we got on Easy Street, which we were never likely to be today.”

“I had both my forwards (Damien Duff and Martins) injured and could only have used Alan Smith in a crisis. Michael just said: `Give me a long warm-up.’ I gave him 20 seconds – and he went on!”

“Then he did what he does better than anybody in the world. It was a great cross by Geremi – and this guy does deliver quality.”

And don’t let anybody tell you that the Newcastle club means nothing these days to Owen, as he showed his obvious delight after scoring – he’s our captain after all – another master appointment by Keegan.

Shay Given, who is back to his very best now, was named the Man Of The Match today, and he superbly saved Nolan’s penalty, low to his left.

Keegan said:

“Shay came back from a life/career-threatening injury. How he played, I don’t know.”

“We sent him to Germany and they did a wonderful job. He’s come back and he’s a `young’ keeper when there are guys like David James (38), Van Der Sar (37) and Brad Friedel (37).”

“There’s still a lot ahead of Shay – but he was brilliant today.”

And Keegan, obviously pleased with another job done by his team added:

“It was always going to take something to get us going and to get the crowd going. “For some reason we didn’t pass it as well as we can. We had one or two players just not seeing things as well as they normally do.”

“We were stop-start. So, yes, the penalty save got the game going and got the crowd going. Normally it’s a great pass or individual class or a shot that hits the bar or something, but today it was the penalty save.”

“We have won a game that we were never really looking like we were going to win. To get three points is a bonus.”

A win is a win, and a good team finds some way to win, even when they’re not at their best and things don’t particularly go their way.

That’s what Newcastle did today – and let’s give the lads the credit for getting the job done – for a second week running.

Tags: Newcastle News · Shay Given

34 responses so far ↓

• 1 craig // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:23 AM

best keeper in the prem

• 2 Jóhann // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:40 AM

has improved

• 3 ToonTex // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Shay GOD Given!!

TOOOON!!!!!!!

• 4 hoetoon yorke // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:54 AM

DEFINETLY!!!

• 5 Luke // Aug 24, 2008 at 1:11 AM

Bolton is such a skilless team. I’m happy with the win!!!

• 6 HATE PRAN SANDWICHES // Aug 24, 2008 at 1:14 AM

yes he has impressed!
    if smith will only be used in a crisis get rid! need more quality through the door! just proves that watching the match! duff is duff! tought it would be to true that he would come good! looks like he’ll be here until next season though! swap deal 4 warnock!

• 7 Malaysian Toon // Aug 24, 2008 at 1:20 AM

It really was a start stop game and I think the lads just never got into even 4th gear much less 5th. Shows that we need a creative midfielder to unlock teams. But they did try and the defence looked solid as it has in two games running. Cept for Taylor’s handball which he does do an awfully lot in the course of a season. Maybe someone needs to tell him that the ball hitting the hand is a foul.
    But sod all that…we won..we played and we won. Both out strikers off due to injury and we had to put our semi-fit captain on and we won. So woohoo for that. We’re in fourth place so lets just enjoy that. Hope for more and better things to come.

• 8 ScottyT // Aug 24, 2008 at 2:03 AM

game 2day positives. shay looks bk to normal which is absolutely brilliant to see. im a ig fan of stevie harper but when shays in top form thers no comparison im afraid. coloccini looked very solid nd lets hope thts a gd sign for things to come. geremi also pld well wen he came on nd believe me im no fan of his.

negatives – duff altho looking as fit as ever didnt rly do much again. creativity still isnt good enough we still need a creative flair centre mid!! nt convinced by milner or zog eitha 2day tbh. zog isnt a left bk nd milner can be v frustratin at tyms. i hv faith in both tho. left bk creative centre mid nd a striker in nd we’l be fine.

a wins a win tho even if we didnt play well :)

• 9 richie // Aug 24, 2008 at 2:12 AM

comments not showing??

• 10 Sav // Aug 24, 2008 at 2:40 AM

What’s the story on Oba and Duffer’s injuries?

• 11 Ginkoh // Aug 24, 2008 at 3:28 AM

Legend ! How we do without him ? We didn’t deserve 3 point yesterday, but it’s football and I hope we can rise our game in the future.

• 12 xfer // Aug 24, 2008 at 3:40 AM

We played poorly! We didnt have enough bite upfront, from the midfield through the strikers today. Butt’s passing has been average at best, though occasionally he delivers great balls to Zobgia.

Duff had a terrible game, he wasnt reading the game at all. Im glad he came off, but for a second i thought it was going to be Smith, and if this is not obvious that he is not needed, I dont know what is.

Geremi came on and did more than what Duff had done all his time on the field. Dont rate Geremi but have to admit he has been assisting with accurate crosses. Owen as usual got his poacher goal. And really glad he shows the delight he did when he scored. Shows what it means to him.

Hopefully Martins wont be out for long.

• 13 azza jones // Aug 24, 2008 at 3:47 AM

I think shay was awesome…..Im glad we got the three points and I hope we can get a result against Arsenal next week and what an awesome start…..

I hope Oba is okay…..

• 14 seetow // Aug 24, 2008 at 4:05 AM

super shay! he doesn’t have a good record at saving penalties but i must say this lad has heart.

• 15 ToonRich // Aug 24, 2008 at 5:37 AM

Must agree, shay has years ahead of him if he carries on like VDS and DJ.

Absolutely top class penalty save :)

N.B ScottyT, speak english man…cut the stupid txt talk :p

• 16 Lekech // Aug 24, 2008 at 6:06 AM

I personally feel that our defence has tightened a lot from the last 2 games. With Colo running the show, we are definitely less prone to those gapping holes down the center like in the past. I thot Colo and Tayls handled the direct long balls from Bolton rather well, although a competent LB is very welcome since Zogs juz not cut out for good coverage on the left.

Another noticeable sight is how the midfielders are tracking back to help the defence. Jonas is amazing! Butt played a solid marshalling game yesterday… and as long as he is careful with his passes, I am happy to have him in that role for every game.

The team now needs to work on the transition play. The passing upfield is very laborous and unimaginative, and Milner still can’t cross a ball. Zogs and Jonas did a few promising runs but nothing that sliced open the bolton defence. King Kev, bring back the flowing attacking magic, I am sure you can! I am praying for a peter beardsley to arrive in this last week of transfer season.

• 17 neeraj // Aug 24, 2008 at 6:58 AM

we definitely have the best keeper in prem league….

and he is prob our best player in the team………

still fel we need an att. midfield player

where is the wow signing

• 18 Rob kirton // Aug 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Shay did what he is best at (saving our skins), though it was one of his rare penalty stops.

Taylor did what he is best at, playing well and then having the odd wobbly (handling the ball – again)

Owen did what he is best at (putting the ball in the net). What I would like to know is – how many headers? I would reckon the majority of his goals for us have come from them, which to me is a real surprise.

• 19 ita // Aug 24, 2008 at 9:10 AM

its an insult that arsenal offered 3million for him the best keeper in the premiership. steven harper the 2nd best keeper in the premiership and i rekon the answer to englands goal keeping playing deserves to play for his country cos he class beter than james kirkland nd robinson

• 20 Kaizer Soze // Aug 24, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Heard a bit of a disturbing rumour last night whilst talking to a ‘fairly accurate source’

Milner could be on his way to Villa if they can get SWP for 10m!!

Yes SWP would be a good signing undoubtedly, but lets get him and keep Milner!! Milner is one of the hardest workers and triers at our club and actually seems to have pride when he pulls on the B & W Uniform!!

Play Milner in the Hole & Get SWP!!

Then a Striker and LB is all we require

We dont need another CB (Beye is excellent there also) Geremi covers RB along with \Edgar
    LB is a cert.

Right winger
    CF Derdyok would be excellent, at approx 4 m for a 20 year old very promising striker you cant go wrong!!

PHillips n Jonas rampaging = Goosepimples!!

I AM KAIZER SOZE

Duff

• 22 toon till i die // Aug 24, 2008 at 11:10 AM

milner has low quality
    cannot cross the ball
    cannot take freekicks or coners and he takes them alli think hes worth 6 m max
    and would snap villas handoff for 9 m
    replace him with someone with pace and skill
    9 m can buy a quality player

psv=affalie top duch player

• 23 Mr Noisy // Aug 24, 2008 at 11:11 AM

If Villa offer 9m for Milner I would snap their hand off!!
    There is no end product from Milner i.e goals,assists and crosses.
    Granted he works hard but consistantly produces nowt, we need an attacking midfielder who can weigh in with 10 goals per season.

• 24 magpie6699 // Aug 24, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Not a great game, we rode our luck against a Bolton team relying (as usual) on height and power. Not pretty to watch at all.
    Watching Kevin Davies (not that I’m a big fan) made me realise that without Viduka, we lack a big target man in our armoury – not to keep pumping the ball up to like Wimbledon – sorry, Bolton – but just as another option – a “get out” card to set up play.
    I thought Colo got better at handling Davies as the game went on and the rest of the defence worked hard to pick up second ball even if he did win it. VERY impressed with my first sighting of Jonas (I’ve been away during pre-season) – a real footballer and a hard worker as well. My jury is still out on Guthrie – tidy, some good touches and a worker but looked more a “bench” player today than first choice – could be more to come though.

• 25 Bill F // Aug 24, 2008 at 11:39 AM

I have to admit I had my doubts about his fitness, but he looked to be 100% in that dept. If he continues like that poor old Steve is going to be lucky to get a game this season.
    I hate to say it but we may have a fight on to stay above our near Wearside neighbours, it really piss*d me off to see them get Cisse.

• 26 Luke // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Taylor must be counting his lucky stars. Didn’t hear a peep about Guthrie. Played well? I’m sweating over these 2-3 new signings…

• 27 dave // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:44 PM

steven taylor shows what he does best nearly giving bolton 3 goals this guy is useless we need another centre half.

• 28 lacedaemonian // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Anybody got a link to the highlights?

• 29 Toon Graeme // Aug 24, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I will be honest – the game yesterday was not the best. The Leazes corner was amazing and will definately be up there again. Alot of people who have moved there are not happy. I had this wife sitting next to me who had her season ticket seat moved and didnt stop complaining about the swearing in the songs and from the fans. After the half time of her whining I told her to stop talking to me about it and where was she the theatre royal or SJP. Gave me the look from hell – ar*ed?? NOT.

Given is by far the best keeper in the prem and he is ours. This WAS the turning point and when he saved the leazes went f’ing electric!!

Taylor needs to keep his hads to himself.

The game was medeocre to say the least. When we had the ball and got upfront it always ended in nothing. We need our strikers to make there presence known and get in and beyond the defenders.

Zog and milner – although had some good crosses, the majority went to nowt.

I was watching match of the day last night and last week, its amazing how many goals yesterday came from powered kicks – we hardly have any shots on goal like that let alone goals scored from them. Having said that its only the second game of the season. We need to get more shots on goal and increae our chances of scoring. We cant rely on MO all the time and with Martins and the Dukes out + duff and arsenal away, it makes the next few days interesting.

Having said that Arsenal are playing crap at the moment – so hopefully we can use that to our advantage!!

• 30 Spyro // Aug 24, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Guthrie was average, like the rest of the team. Then again, its hard to look good against an awful bolton side who have no intention of playing any kind of football. I hope they and Stoke both get relegated, they are not a good advertisement for PL football.

• 31 ScottyT // Aug 24, 2008 at 2:26 PM

ooo soz like toon rich. am just lazy :)
    didnt realise there were english teachers on the blog lol

• 32 ToonRich // Aug 24, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Alright ScottyT :) I was just having a drunken spouting off moment…ignore me lol

So has anyone got any inside (so called source) info about signings to come in next week?? :)

• 33 Witters // Aug 24, 2008 at 6:16 PM

Whilst Given’s penatly save was class & he showed great awareness to kick the ball out of play he was pretty redundant for the whole game except for injury time.

I thought Jonas was by fair & away our best player & every that was good about newcastle yesterday involved him. Collicini was very good, always looked like he had time & will be a great help to Taylor who looks a lot more mature in the 2 games so far this season. We might just have a stable & more importantly a decent defense. We need a left back tho.

Guthie was disappointing compared to the Man U game so lets hope its first home game nerves.

A good win against possibly the worst team to come SJP, they put 10 men behind the ball & make no attempt to play football. Finally, i think a lot of team employ the same tactics against us as it’s worked in the past! Patience from the players & the fans will be key this season!

Toonarmy!!

• 34 Witters // Aug 24, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Apologies for grammar!!

previous post: Keegan Still Confident On Owen Contract

next post: Where Did The Newcastle Fans Go?