The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Keegan Still Confident On Owen Contract

12:05 am, Sunday, August 24th, 2008 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Newcastle United manager Kevin Keegan is quite confident that England International and Newcastle captain Michael Owen will sign a new contract at St James’ Park very soon.

Michael Owen – will sign new contract at Newcastle

28-year-old Owen has one year left on his contract, and as a little reminder that he could be important to Kevin Keegan’s future plans at the club, managed to score the only goal against Bolton Wanderers this afternoon to give the Magpies all 3 points.

With one year left on his contract he would be allowed to talk to other clubs in January, but that will not happen because we expect him to sing a new contract within a couple of weeks at most.

Keegan said before Newcastle’s win against Bolton today:

“We are having a meeting next Wednesday about a lot of things and contracts will be one of the things discussed,”

“There are other players to discuss as well. I’m fairly relaxed about it, but I will know more when we sit down.”

“These things happen. The main thing at the end of the day is that it will be sorted.”

“I think I can honestly say that, if it comes to January, then the chances are he won’t be (staying), but I don’t think it will get there.”

That’s one thing Newcastle have to wrap up, and Mike Ashley needs to help the cause even further, by allowing Kevin to bring in at least another 3 players before the end of the summer transfer window in nine days time.

Tags: Contracts · Michael Owen · Newcastle News

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Spyro // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:27 AM

still not worth 100k IMO

• 2 Tom4Nufc // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:48 AM

I didnt think so Spyro, but I have change my mind, if we get him signed to a 5 yr deal, I will be delighted (though I think 3 yr deal is more likely), he scores the goals when the chips are down and the team isnt performing, that in itself is worth the wages!

• 3 Dan4Toon // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:57 AM

If we get owen signed, i dont are how much he wil b on but he wil be our best signin of the summer coz hoping he stays fit he will get us 15/20 goals a season ! taylor we got signed, now owen, milner n then harper, he deserves 2 coz he eaily cud ov went 2 another club in prem n b 1st choice maybe offer him a 3 year deal with a coaching role as well = )

• 4 HATE PRAN SANDWICHES // Aug 24, 2008 at 1:06 AM

IMO we should offer him the same money! his present contract! he proved saturday that he is what we need at the club! him and his family are settled in Newcastle, his name and face and dont forget the black and white strip is all over! such as games and in the media etc. if we can get another quality striker now to take the place of joined ameobi and smith and look for another replacement for viduka from january! just hope we get at least another 3 signings by 1st sept!? we need them!

• 5 richie // Aug 24, 2008 at 1:53 AM

delighted with 3 points and owen, hes a world class goal scorer and i laugh when i hear people say hes past it, hel always score goals

• 6 richie // Aug 24, 2008 at 1:55 AM

spyro wats ur thought s on any possible players coming in??

• 7 richie // Aug 24, 2008 at 1:59 AM

spyro hows goes it mate wats ur thoughts on any possible new signings

• 8 richie // Aug 24, 2008 at 2:00 AM

why arent comments coming up1???

• 9 ScottyT // Aug 24, 2008 at 2:59 AM

embarassin article yet agen frm tha daily mail. ther lovin tha fact we had 47k ther 2day. h8 tht bulsh1t of a so calld paper man!

• 10 Sav // Aug 24, 2008 at 3:07 AM

This enough WOW signing for me. MO is one of football’s great goalscorers. His timing and positioning are uncanny.

But we need other signings, as with just Oba up front, often out wide on the left, we too often had nobody for Beye, Milner, Duff, Jonas or N’Zog to cross to.

• 11 erinashilan // Aug 24, 2008 at 3:49 AM

Get it Sort for about 3 years not 5..remember he’s 29 now and put another 3 players too..

• 12 Charlie // Aug 24, 2008 at 5:14 AM

have to be prepared to let him go but we should do everything we can to keep him. He’s class when he is not injured and we should have the money to go and buy him and Martins and good partner

• 13 ToonRich // Aug 24, 2008 at 5:39 AM

I thing todays game sums up how much lil MO means to this club…and KK says he’s only 75% fit…I look forward to the rest!! I think Owens on for 20+ goals this season, along with atleast 15 from Oba :)

• 14 Ben_BKK // Aug 24, 2008 at 7:03 AM

I think we saw yesterday how much we need Owen, he just gave us that something extra in attack. Though our need for a big target man was also shown, as Owen was often seen doing a Rooney and defending in our half of the pitch….

• 15 Barney Rubble // Aug 24, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Don’t think he’s staying.

• 16 Mr Noisy // Aug 24, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Would luv to see MO stay, but believe he will go.
    Remember what he did to Liverpool!!!!!!

• 17 LondonToon // Aug 24, 2008 at 11:25 AM

We NEED Owen to sign. He’s our best player and talisman, as proved yesterday. I want another three players in like everyone else, but Owen’s new contract is the most important bit of business to be done.

• 18 Oleg G // Aug 24, 2008 at 11:28 AM

isn’t the transfer window closes this week ?

no movment? still?

Owen will sign, it’s not even conected to the transfers window.

But I still want NEVES in newcastle and there is no connection to him. so bad !!! :(

• 19 Toon Graeme // Aug 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM

I heard about this first on SSN last night and thought ooooh – BOUT BLOODY TIME!!!

This is my view, we need MO in our team. How much of a difference it made yesterday.

If he was to go who would we use and who would we get in without having to spend huge cash.

I would welcome anyone elses view on this one.

• 20 ziad // Aug 25, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Sign MO ! pay the cash ! hes class …

previous post: Gokhan Inler Still Available – Everton Now Interested