Where Did The Newcastle Fans Go?

In spite of incentives given by Mike Ashley on Saturday, like free booze for those who got in their orders at least 50 minutes before the kick-off the St. James Crowd today was the lowest since the ground was expanded to over 52000, around 11 years ago.

The Newcastle Supporters – some stayed away yesterday

There were also complimentary tickets to schoolchildren and cash entrance money for the first time in years, the match was played before only 47,711.

So there were more than 5,000 empty seats, and given what’s gone on in recent weeks, it seems that has to be a protest, or even some distrust against Newcastle Owner Mike Ashley.

Despite the missing fans, Keegan and his team still managed to grab all 3 points, in what was a difficult game, but all in all the lads got the job done again.

Shay Given is no doubt back to his very best, and he proved how good he is, once again, with a 57th-minute penalty save that was the game’s turning point.

The penalty was placed to Given’s left but the goalkeeper was down like a flash to save at full stretch – and then he managed to boot the ball clear as Nolan tried to put the ball in the net at the second attempt.

Michael Owen finally did what he has done his football life, and score another vital goal, that he made look easy.

After the game Kevin said:

“I don’t think he did his case any harm today,” “I think we’ll keep him. I don’t want to labor the point. I’ve said my piece.”

“I think we’re very close but I’ll know more then.” “The agreement has to be right for both parties but I know he wants to stay.”

“’He has a one-in-two goals per game ratio for Newcastle and probably for England as well. That says it all.”

We hope we can sign Michael Owen to a long term contract, but their will be shudders in the boardroom at Newcastle with this attendance – or if there isn’t – there should be.

Losing their fan base is the very last thing Newcastle United Football Club want to even think about.

• Tom

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:42 AM

What do the papers expect. We’ve not signed anywhere near enough players and the ticket prices went up in a time when everyones either in debt or struggling just to pay mortgage and bills.

Im sick of the scaremongering in the newspapers, articles like this are starting to really Piss me off, the daily mail is a rag staffed by mackems it would seem from its content. The other papers are picking on our fans nervousness, creating loads of rubbish storys.

Oh and todays attendance, I blame Bolton. who wants to pay to see a team put 10 men behind the ball and spoil a game of football.

• Tom4Nufc

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Agreed with the article,

I was talking with the family today and we had all come to the conclusion that Owen was a waste of space, time and money… Then he came on and reminded us of why Kev wants him and we all changed our minds! Though I think he is on rediculous wages, I realise that this man is instrumental in our success for the next 5 years…. get him signed up ASAP!

• tom tomb

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Because the ticket office is a disgrace, we have a smaller squad than last year. We need to sign a hero.

• 51times

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Let’s not get too worried yet…if it’s still low next home game, then worry.

• Spyro

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:04 AM

we dont need to sign a “hero”, we need to sign a quality, whether he is known or not is irrelevent. Today highlighted how much we need a back to goal striker and a creative dm to play alongside guthrie, Butt is great defensively but takes too much away from our offensive play. i still think a cm of barton and guthrie would work, but when are we going to see him on the pitch again?

• Spyro

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:08 AM

why isnt my comment coming up?

• Tooner

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:16 AM

They stayed away because Bolton plays absolutely shit football.

• HATE PRAN SANDWICHES

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:19 AM

Ashley needs to bring in more quality atleast 3 signing before the window closes to get the rest of the seats filled up! very happy we won but showed that we need quality brought in!

• HATE PRAN SANDWICHES

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:20 AM

ive had the same problem myself spyro!?

• i heard there was something wrong with some people season tickets that they wernt workin dunno if its true lyk

• Ross G

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:30 AM

I know its early days and there is still a week left to the window close, but I think putting it into perspective its best to compare our window to SUNDERLAND. Lets face it even though we are trying to sneak a UEFA place our next main aim is to finsh above Sunderland and then Middlesborough in the League. The amount of cash trusted to Keane especially since his promotion to the Prem has been remarkable. The guy has bought half the Tottenham squad, and more plus adding two good strikers in Cisse and Healy. Not only this but is apparently in talks to sign Anton Ferdinand and another “top” player. He spent 50m last yr plenty in January and now is doing it again. HOW are Sunderland more financially flush than ourselves. IF and its a big if we make a two top signings and one more good signing I will be relatively happy, but still at the start of the window we expected more now we are all just hopeful of a player in general. I think the Mackem scum will have a good season and some of there business certainly got my attention and my worry that they may end our long lasting superiority in the NE. We have a better squad maybe but some of there signings we were after too so technically we are now targeting the same players not like the old days when we went for top internationals they were after ageing premiership experience. If you look at there strongest 11 poss 442 – Gordon, Chimbonda, Nosworthy, Ferdinand, Bardsley, Diouf, Malbranque, Ried, Richardson, Cisse, and Jones. I must say we wouldnt mind a few in our squad and I hate that. We need to push on now I hope we do make the wow signing lets get Warnock in, Zigic, and hopefully Moutinho would be fantastic.

• Davy C

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:34 AM

I am annoyed about the whole fan thing to be honest. I was talking to a few fans at Old Trafford last Sunday about this and none of us can understand why the tickets just aren’t being sold. Yes there’s the credit crunch, yes people are on holiday, yes the papers have done nothing to help the atmosphere surrounding the club but at the end of the day you are either a fan or you are not.

I was travelling back up north on the train yesterday worried that my season ticket hadn’t arrived by that time so I called to St. James’ Park to get it sorted out. I spoke to a guy on the train in the same boat and he actually said that he’d wished he hadn’t bothered buying it again this year.

I do not earn a lot of money and have a family and a big mortgage to take care of but my one pleasure for me is following Newcastle United through thick and thin. I’ve hardly missed since I was 6 years old and it is in my blood. I say good riddance to the glory hunters and let the good atmosphere inside the ground once 3pm comes prevail.

Come on lads and lasses a few pints less a week is all it takes – follow your team!!!

• i hate the way bolton play, i would hate to be one of there fans

• HATE PRAN SANDWICHES

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:37 AM

All that needs to happen is Ashley spends his money on at least 3 quality to help strength’n the squad! over the moon we won but it just proves the point it could have went either way and more injuries!
    need a LB ! N’zogbia is’nt one he’s a midfield player! and should only be played there!
    need a quality forward to take over from ameobi and smith to help our goal scoring potential!

• GeordieJamie

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:42 AM

The low attendance will be down to several factors. Bolton taking a meagre 500 fans at best. The whole getting season tickets out on time fiasco will not have helped. Season ticket holders who are on holiday etc will not have been able to pass their ticket on due to it not arriving before they went. And as has already mentioned we are at the start of a reccession where people will be starting to watch their outgoings.

• ScottyT

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:56 AM

fact – newcastle will never ‘lose their fan base’. theres 2 many loyal supporters for this. the atmosphere 2day where i was (leazes corner) was decent. singing throughout most the game even though it was a poor game. same cant be said for the rest of the ground though and it really will take more thn just a signing corner to bring bk the noise which me and many othas wud love.

main reason could be the late arrival of season tickets sent out by our awfully run st james box office. i was told after payin for my seat 2 weeks later i needed identification proving this. money had all ready been taken nd evryfin. the box office staff r embarassin tbh. it is sad to see the attendance below 50k though nd this surely has a lot to do with prices which keep goin up or stayin the same despite awful past seasons.

i for one will keep going despite the pathetic runnin of ticket arrivals, poor performances on the pitch and overpricing. spose tht makes me an idiot but ther we go. i just hope we get the fans bk by hull cos the club seems to be going in the right direction for the first tym in many a year.

howay ppl! howay keegan!

• it wasnt just the leazes corner singing cos we were singing too in the john hall stand middle tieer nd i could hear it from gallowgate too, so atmosphere wasnt bad, bt nt the best

• Raffles

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:05 AM

The ticket office has screwed up this year. Substantially. Traditonally, as in- this is when I’d normally be able to pick up a ticket from a mate who’s on holiday, people are in the position to pass on their season ticket for a game or two. Hence the lack of a few of the seats at least. Quite what else comes into it is up for debate, but jumping onto the Daily Mail line is a joke, especially when the problems with tickets coming out. Talking of free tickets for kids, c’mon! Where are they issued to? Schools- that are off? Mackems? Chebs? Haddaway and ordure.

• irish

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:27 AM

martins injured, duff injured..viduka injured,…derdyiok??

• nufctj

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:38 AM

one word sums up the dire attendance:

Bolton

• Spyro

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:43 AM

great post scottyt

• tom tomb

Aug 24, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Spyro- read my post correctly before you diss it. I said we need a hero, I did not say we need to sign someone that is known. Over the years we have had them from nothing Beardsley, Gazza , Waddle. Then KK bought for example Ginola who was not well known!Then look what happened. You miss my point totally. We have always – well since the early eighties had one player that will put bums on seats. We need another now and kk should be allowed to deliver that player. We have been fed drivel for a few years now. Hopefully KK can restore the faith.

• xfer

Aug 24, 2008 at 3:46 AM

Interesting, didnt noticed that when watching on TV. That should be a concern. If it is a sign of protest, then MA has to do something about it. I thought the crowd was really quiet today and didnt really get going until the penalty save which was surprising cause I thought this is the first home game, the crowd would be all geared all!

• mitch

Aug 24, 2008 at 4:54 AM

I think it was down to people being away unable to give there ticket to anyone. Some may be protesting but I tell you I am with Davey no matter who owns or who they buy NUFC is my club and I will go and support them no matter what MA may have the cash to own it but 20 years down the line who is the ones who are still there us because owners are just mere custodions of are beloved club we are the the lifeblood and let no one tell you different Oh and last year we dropped two points to a Bolton side who we could not break down this year we knicked by a goal why all the doom and gloom

• ToonEskimo

Aug 24, 2008 at 5:56 AM

The club gave away 10,000 tickets to local youth football organisations FOC. The attendace could have been much worse.
    Nobody heard of the credit crunch?

• G

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:13 AM

The Owner is not paying the money , why do we?

• ObaFan2

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:45 AM

I remember when there being a waiting list for season tickets …… how times have changed. It’s been a strange summer with so many rumors/gossip about the club and very little money spent on the team in the last 12 months or so.
    Atleast the performances have improved.

• dingo

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:49 AM

its bank holiday weekend in the summer holidays….

!

• dingo

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:01 AM

I hear we are in for Malouda valued at 12m…..

thoughts?

• Edd Case

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Dingo – exactly?!

Why are people stressing about the attendance?!!!

It’s bank hol weekend and it’s August!?

Next home match, 52000 again, you watch.

Now, 1 week of transfers left – so, fingers crossed we get in some quality.

• Hertz

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:43 AM

To be honest, i was shocked when i see the attendence was below 50k.
    I think it was ignominious number especially it was our 1st home game. It hope i will be improved in the next home game as the holiday is over. Remember how we raved about our fortress, 52k of fans ?
    Lets bring it back!
    Too bad im not English, but my dream is to sit at SJP and scream for the team, seriously.
    Cheers!

• jeff

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:44 AM

Ross G….I dont think the toon need to compare to what sunderland have spent…we’ve been spending silly money for years…I think the toon have done things the right way with the players they have got…Sunderland seem to have just went for whoever is available and if you look at the likes of cisse malbranque diouf niether of them could do it at the bigger clubs so Im not bothered that the mackems have them….they might be great for the scum hope so in a way because itll make the derbies more exciting……..as for the fans not turning up I agree with most of the posts…..Ie ticket office being a joke….My mates ticket hadnt come yesterday and had to try ringing for days to see what was going on….again its left to the fans to do the running around…there should have been an announcement on local news about what to do…..someone at the club isnt doing their jobs….another thing is alot of fans are sick of all the excuses after every season & also bills at home are going up (gas electric petrol etc etc etc) so some sacrifices sometimes need to be made,unfortunately that means maybe giving up the season ticket to a few people………We are not all on fantastic wages give the fans a break and start pointing the fingue at the clubs instead….just my opinion…

• Rob kirton

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:44 AM

Here goes a prediction for this years crowds

a) Down on last year (a little)
    b) This will be the lowest leagues attendance of the season (The Bolton game nearly always is)

As regards the club giving away tickets to the game to school / youth organisations. First – I’ve heard about it. First time it has been mentioned by anybody i.e. after the event. For all of the people who know this to be a fact – could you please provide details so my kids can cash in on it?

The lot down the road have been doing this for years. The kids normally complaining – “Oh not again – do I have to go and see S**derland”

• Ericles

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:47 AM

Many reasons for attendance – Bolton, bank holiday weekend, annual holidays, season ticket delays, cost of living etc etc. The fans will return soon. My own son will not be back in Newcastle until September 11th. We all know that watching NUFC is the biggest and best roller coaster ride in Britain. Howay the lads.

• jeff

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Well to be honest the problem is because of the fans themselves this isnt critisizing the support but with 52000 turning up every other week,the press and evryone not connected to newcastle united couldnt understand why the toon were still getting the support the do…..especially with not winning nowt for donkey’s……and as soon as the attendance drops even though there is a credit crunch & bills are more expensive,the press couldnt wait to jump on the fans for not being there…..Yes we ARE the loyalist supporters but sometimes there are things slightly & I mean slightly more important Like heating your home and well basically paying bills to make sure you have a home………So here anyone reading this from the press F@@K YOU WE DONT GIVE A SHIT WHAT YOU THINK,SOUTHERN BASED MACKEM TOSSERS!!!!!!

• Ericles

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Agree with comments that point out press distortions and lies. Typically the NOTW today has another Owen twist knowing that IN REALITY negotiations are going on and most likely will conclude amicably soon. Likewise our old friend (?) Mail on Sunday says we are bidding 12m for Malouda. Why? Truth is any bullshite will do as long as it IS shite and aimed at upsetting NUFC and the Toon Army. Honestly – they must HATE, I mean HATE, us being 4th this morning. Love it KK, just love it.

• howway geordies

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:21 AM

reply 3, tom tomb:
    ????

• Paul

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:32 AM

I dont think we should be concerened abou thte low attendance. From what I can see the areas that were empty were the corprate, posh seats and away fans. Apart from the away end we need LESS of these stupid premium areas. Look at the leazes that new section at the top (Leazes bar or something) had about 10 peopl ein it and about 400 empty seats. MA will relaise these areas are a waste of time in Newcastle and he needs to price the real fans in. As for the comment that ticket prices went up this is not really true. This wa sonly if you bought a one off ticket but in reality you had the option to get your ticket CHEAPER than last year and the new leazes courner is the cheapest adult ticket in years. I think we will see attendences back to normal when we play a better side. Bolton are one othe most dull prem team sin its history!!!!

• Davy C

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:38 AM

Well said Mitch!

• El Toonio

Aug 24, 2008 at 8:43 AM

With all due respect Ed, you just paraphrased an article in the Sun, which was at best, lazy journalism. Why perpetuate the myth? Why provide the shite papers with even more ammunition?