Keegan Delighted With Gutierrez and Coloccini

Kevin Keegan was happy to take all three points on Saturday against a tough Bolton Wanderers side, and he is also delighted at the way his two Argentine players have settled so quickly into the Newcastle setup.

Jonas Gutierrez and Fabricio Coloccini – settled so quickly

Kevin Keegan talked today about Jonas Gutierrez first:

“I’ve never known a player settle so quickly. That’s how he came into the club.”

“Day one he put his music on, spoke in English to everybody and walked out on the training ground.”

“We did a bleep test on him and I’ve never seen anyone run like that. The next day we did a bit of football and I turned round to Terry Mac and said: ‘The fans are going to love him here’. That was the view of all my staff. Wow.”

“He’s got that dual strength of ability and putting work rate on the end of it. It’s a wonderful combination.”

“That’s what the fans love about him already, tackling, working hard, tracking back.”

And of course Coloccini has put it two performances that suggest his type of play is made for the Premier league and he has every chance of becoming one of the best center backs in the league if he continues with displays like the last two.

And he played in every game last season for Deportivo, and was consistent and good throughout the season, and If he remains fit this season, our defense should perform well, and certainly a lot better than last season.

Keegan is simply delighted with Gutiérrez and his compatriot Fabricio Coloccini at Newcastle – as he continued:

“These two guys I’ve fetched in have played in Spain. That was their first move, that’s the hardest one for them.”

“Spain was good for them because it was the same language. The two we’ve got are top notch. They’re not gambles. They can play at the highest level and have done.”

It certainly makes a difference to the team.; Gutierrez is skilled and works his socks off and Coloccini plays with that air of coolness and class, that his enormous skill warrants.

Two good signings by Keegan?

You bet – and now for three or four more before the end of the month, and we’ll be flying again.

• Isaac Hunt

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Superb

• toonoot

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Mmmm. Something not quite right with the code for this blog.

Both these lads are giving the club a better style of haircut. Let’s put barbers out of business I say!

• The Left Corner

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Top quality players. Not afraid to put the work in.

• young_geordie_lad

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:27 AM

these are quality

• StevieB

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Break the bank for Berbetov and buy a top quality central midfielder player and they will pay for themselves in their first season as Champions League football will no longer be just a dream

• toonarmy08

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:36 AM

so far they both look like superb signings .jonas is class with energy to burn ,and curly seems the coolest player on the pitch ,taylor made to be top prem defender.any suggestions on starting line up should be 4 coventry lads ?????
    my team .
    harper
    beye
    taylor
    bassong (save curly 4 arsenal game)
    enrique
    milner
    butt
    guthrie
    jonas
    owen
    smith

• BUDGIE

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Two great players, agood result at Arsenal and we can start looking forward.

• GraemeR

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Still need a creative midfielder as a priority – MOUTINHO. Then a striker (especially if EMO walks) – DERDIYOK. ZIGIC. A Fullback – BURDISSO. Throw in INLER and the two Argy Olympians and happy days are back.

• GraemeR

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:40 AM

OK – where has my comment gone?????

and it was my best

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:41 AM

I think it will be more of a weakened team to keep our big guns fit for the Arsenal game.

Given
    Beye Taylor Bassong Enrique
    Geremi Butt (c) Guthrie N’Zogbia
    Smith Milner

• beyethegreat

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:42 AM

as long as we get a creative midfielder ill be happy we could get diego bounanotte though at 5 foot 3 is probably too light weightso we should get pablo piatti

• ed_speed

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:43 AM

anyone know how the opera singer got on?

didn’t make the game was it as good as last time?

regards, ed speed

• Sav

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Should that not be; ‘Coloccini plays with that hair of coolness and class, that his enormous skill warrants. ‘?

• ice dog

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:49 AM

on transfers my mate is a phiso in the spl we laugh at press reports ie kk looking at a certain goalkeeper and left winger in spl take it from us it will never happen. two on thur if agreement on signing on fee for sav

• Stardust

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Ed, This blog is showing on NewsNow but not your home page – strange but true!

Even Stranger – I posted this then all the missing blogs appeared! (even after refreshing the other pages previously – even new blog entries werent showing on my comp)

• dick

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM

If we can bring 3 more players as good as these 2 we will be in good shape for rest of season, but I think we will need a big name signing to get crowd back. Ashley needs to show people he means buisiness, and not just a mid-table strugglers

• WesToon

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:01 AM

The signings we have achieved this summer are the best we have had in many years!!!!

We are still quit a few players short though,ATLEAST 3!!!

AM,STR,LB
    Pls Mike & KK

• dick

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM

I’m having same trouble stardust new bloggs dont appear till I post another one , they will most likely all come on now

• OzZyMaG

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Sell : Milner, Ameobi = 11 Million

Buy : SWP, Buonanotte, Insua, Derdiyok = 26 Million

Starting 11 (When fit)

—————-Given——————-

Beye—–Taylor—–Colo——Insua

– – – – Barton- – – – –
    SWP Jonas

– – – – Owen – – – – –

——— Duke ———- Martins——

Bench = Harper, Bassong, Zog, Duff, Buonanotte,Guthrie, Derdiyok

Love it absolutely love it…

• Spyro

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:26 AM

fantastic signings

• Spyro

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Coloccini was class yesterday

• Sad Sack

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:31 AM

8 GraemeR // Aug 25, 2008 at 10:39

————-

Deluded.

• ObaFan2

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Spidey is a breath of fresh air and he is certainly become one of my favourite players already. Colo seems to be doing well also but I’d like to see him play more before I hail him as sensational.

KK certainly has found some gems out there at a bargain price.

• Tommy

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Can’t remember the last time I warmed to a player like I have Guiterrez.. Everything about him is just pure class..

• Stardust

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Dont know how many articles have been posted since my entry at 15 Ed but I can not see a new entry yet – its 12.06hrs in the UK, my last entry was timed at 10.50 hrs, Ive tried clearing my cache, temp internet and history but I simply cant see the entries, I understand the difficulties in the transfer, hope this feedback helps you understand whats happening.

• nomis_jade

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:12 PM

i would try milner in a central role against coventry and see if he can add any more creativity. Also give bassong and enrique a run out.
    Should be a good game. Im hoping we have the experience and quality in our side to not make this a banana skin, which games like this have been in the past.

• Will

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I have to admit i was delighted at getting Coloccini, didn’t know much about Guthrie or Gutierrez and i have been pleasantly suprised by them both. Guthrie to me is what scott parker shud have been, more direct and attack minded:)

Fantastic, refreshing signings in my eyes.

• Geordie SPIDERMAN18 (GG7)

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM

thank god senderos has gone to milan.

• ilkkatoon

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:08 PM

i agree with the lineups but i would switch taylor with bassong. Id like bassong with collochini to get collochini some more experience playing with the team

• Bill F

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Does anyone remember the Bablyon 5 episode where someone piss*d off a TechnoMage (the Centauri) and he put gremlins into his computer. Have you done likewise Ed. 🙂

• Punk Skunk

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Is that true about senderos goin to milan GG7?..
    …If so, PHEW!..

• Punk Skunk

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Oh crap!..The posts thing is well boring now!..
    …ARRGGGGGHHHHH!..

• Tom

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:52 PM

I’d give Zogs the creative role against Coventry, give him a go and see if he can cut it in an AM position!

Team v Coventry for me:

Given
    Beye, Taylor, Bassong, Enrique
    Milner, Guthrie, N’Zogbia, Jonas
    Owen, Zamblera

Subs: Harper, Colo, Butt, Geremi, Ameobi/Smith/Donaldson

Enrique deserves a run out at left back, he is our left back, not a repackaged left winger! Bassong should get his debut at the Ricoh, save Colo for the Gunners, and I would also like Zamblera to have a run out, possibly alongside Owen!

• Tom

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Zamblera, Donaldson, Jonny Godsmark, Nile Ranger, you’d imagine they will all potentially be options for Coventry with Duke, Carroll, Martins, Ameobi and Smith all being injury doubts to greater or lesser degrees! Along with Owen regaining fitness!

• Michael

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Is something up with the blog? There seems to be fewer people posting – is it down to people having just given up on the site with all the recent problems, or is it because comments are being lost?

Also, is this still Ed writing all the articles, as the style, quality of writing and grammar doesn’t seem to be as good as it was.

• The Entertainers

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:35 PM

I have always supported bring in 2 foriegn players from the same country at the same time. I remember the Dutch trio at Milan or the German trio at Inter in the 80’s

It has worked again for us and would love to see a couple of Swiss lads at the club too!

• The Entertainers

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Oh for the Coventry game i would :

Harper
    Beye Taylor Bassong Enrique
    Geremi Butt Guthrie
    Jonas Zog
    Smith

I really believe we need to give a confidence to boost by playing Bassong, Enrique, Geremi and Smith. It would be nice if Zog got a more forward role to.

• Tom

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I think if we are going to play one up top, he needs to have some pace. Unfortunately, I don’t see Smith being able to fulfill that role, as he has none, nor can he hold the ball up to allow Jonas or Zogs to run

• The Entertainers

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:33 PM

I agree he is limited in the pace department, but believe he can hold the ball up well enough for the supporting cast.

But with Owen wrapped in cotton wool, Oba out, Viduka out and Shola well hes all but gone in my eyes…..it only leaves us with Smith.

I am a supporter of Smith and hope he gets a game to boost his confidence, because the lad is quality and would be a big assest to us.

• Timberhead Toon

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:10 PM

Yeah Gutierrez is class, and Coloccini is just the best CB I’ve seen in the black and white love it.

Got 18 Gutierrez on my shirt yesterday and the where struggling with the ‘J’s for everyone getting Jonas on there shirt. now that really does say something.