Owen Couldn’t Have Wished For Better Comeback Match

After Michael’s winning goal on Saturday, it seems to us he made a great return to the side, after being laid up in the summer with injury and sickness.

Michael Owen – great start to season

Michael talked this morning of his injury and sickness over the summer:

“I wouldn’t be out here if I wasn’t 100%, but like anything you can’t have the illness that I’ve had and then just go and train and then after two minutes go and play straight away.”

“You need to almost harden your body. Like last season when the manager took over I played all 20 games under his reign and there wasn’t even an ounce of a problem because your body gets hardened to playing.”

“When I’ve always struggled it’s when I’ve been stop-start. The first 10 training sessions and the first two or three games after I’ve got injured are very important to me and as long as I can get through the next couple of weeks, the next couple of games, then I’m off and away.”

“I couldn’t have wished for a better comeback match. We would have liked to have played better, but to have got the win on my return was obviously nice and to come through the game fully confident and knowing I can play without feeling anything was really important given the summer I’ve had.”

Owen and his representatives are still in talks over Michael’s new contract, which will see him stay another 3 years, so he will be signed up until the summer of 2012, when he’ll be 32 years old.

The news today is there is still some shifting to be done from both sides, but we cannot believe the club or Michael would allow this to have Michael leave the club.  He’s too good for Newcastle’s future for that to happen.

The Newcastle Journal is reporting this morning that Michael’s basic wage is believed to be the main point of issue. Kevin Keegan is being diplomatic on both sides as he said:

“We do all want him to stay, all of us, but we’ve got to reach the point where we’ve got an agreement and that’s got to be right for both parties.”

“I know he wants to stay, I know he likes it here, I mean really likes it here.”

“It will run its course, but I think we’re pretty close. I’ll find out on Wednesday, but I don’t think he’s done his cause any harm, because he’s scored a goal.”

Let’s hope we can get 4 things achieved this week – get Michael signed up and bring 3 top players into the club.

But time seems to be running out if we are to get this particular job done.

• Coloccini's Curls

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:57 AM

1st!!!!!!!!!!

And im 1st in the NUFCBlog Premier League Fantasy football!!!!!!!!

• ERIC CRAMMY MAG

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM

and boy do we need it from him ,he is going to be so important this season

• ERIC CRAMMY MAG

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:01 AM

soz didn,t think it worked smb

• ELFER

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:03 AM

There must be some players lined up already…wondering what that WOW-signing will be (I guess a central midfielder).

• ed_speed

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:04 AM

anyone know how the opera singer got on?

didn’t make the game was it as good as last time?

regards, ed speed

• JJ

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Two questions….

Am I the only one who cant get to the homepage of this blog? Instead it comes up with BLUEHOST????

Second how do I join my fantasy team to the NUFCBLOG league.

Thanks, cheers

• liamtoonbirchy

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:17 AM

i’m worried about the long run if we dont sign at least 3 quality players before the deadline. Our squad needs to add depth to perform throughout the whole season. I have the faith KK.

• Toon1978

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I have mixed feelings about Owen. I do not believe he is worth over a hundred grand a week i don’t think any player is worth that much tbh. But at the same time we could lose him and get nothing so its catch 22 really. In the long run for the club it may be better for M.Owen to move on as the injuries he has and the amount of times he has played is not really good enough at the same time we would not have won that game if it had not been for Owen. There is a lot of thinking to be done and decisions to be made by the men at the top concerning Owen.

On Transfers, we are desperate for a top midfielder and this kid Diego buonanotte looks a top prospect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osZL-yekEBQ&feature=related, but looks pretty small but i believe KK and his merry men can sort that out. We still need a left back and many names have been mentioned ie POGONOLI,WARNOCK just to name a few and its important we get the left back situation sorted out quickly. And last, we need a striker and i could go through many many names some unrealistic some realistic. You may have a little snigger at me but i really do believe we could get Henry after all he is not getting any younger and it seems he is not enjoying life at the NOU CAMP and it seems Man utds interest has wained somewhat. So maybe we should at least try and get this kid in. Saviola is another option and the word is he would consider a move to NUFC on loan Anyway here’s to hoping we get these players in and if we do i really do believe we could push for a top 8 place fingers crossed.

• JJ

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Someone please tell me why I cant reach the blogs homepage………..
    Also what is the NUFCBLOGs fantasy league code??????????

• ed_speed

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:24 AM

where are my comments? they took ages t write.

regards, speed.

• ERIC CRAMMY MAG

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:27 AM

tried three times to post a response on the crowd issue give up its like the box office shite

• Carrick

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:27 AM

whats the fantasy football website and code???

• Spyro

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Owen is class, but if the rumours are true about 140k then he should go

• little willie

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Milner has been told that the club have accepted a bid from Villa.

He’s off.

• Matt

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Owen is so worth 100k a week if he can keep up his 1 in 2 record. He’s invaluable.

• bennufc

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:50 AM

any team news on th cov match ed cheers

• Oba

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Where’s this ‘WOW’ signing?

• Ben_BKK

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:04 PM

JJ – the blog homepage has been working fine for me ever since they moved to the new server, so it might just be you mate…

• 9 Shearer

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Hi Guys NUFC for Champions league.

• 9 Shearer

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Little willie get a life………. No one is going out.

• 9 Shearer

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM

little willie get a life……………… No one is going out.

• ELFER

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Sorry this off-topic post, but SENDEROS did just complete his (loan)move to AC Milan….

• ELFER

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Sorry for the off-topic, but SENDEROS did just seal his (loan with buy option) to serie A gigants AC Milan…

• Charlie

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Anyone got the code for the fantasy league for the blog??

• SwedeEric

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Don´t understand why you all are sitting and wishing for a “wow” signing all day along. That was a rumor that come out that Ashley had said that… Might just be bs…

Cant belive people STILL take the media as fact…

I would also love to turn on the computer, go to this site and scream wow over who we have signed… But will not sit and expect it because of some rumor that Ashley said that it might come…

• Keegan is King

milner
    guti
    smith
    owen

• Lew Davies

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Little willy – you may be right, but no one believes a word you write anymore. Funny as….all this double posting and stuff

• sweendog

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Could this Wow signing be Arshavin .. looks likely..