Keegan Delighted With Character and Fitness Of Players

The Newcastle United manager Kevin Keegan had every right to be proud of his players last night, after their Carling Cup extra-time victory over Coventry City.

Jose Enrique challenges Coventry captain Jay Tabb for the ball

Newcastle looked like they were cruising home with two goals in the first half from N’Zogbia (21) and Milner (38) and were looking for a 3rd when Clinton Morrison pulled one back in first-half injury time.

And Coventry fought every step of the way in the second half, to play much better than they had done in the first 45 minutes, and finally forced the game into extra time with an equalizer very late in injury time.

And it was that man Michael Owen once again, who scored another opportunist goal, to put Newcastle into the third round draw. The news about Fabio capello not being sure of Owen will certainly have to be put to bed if michael keeps scoring like this.

And a little note to Mike Ashley, who we hear was dining on Cornish pasties throughout the second half, please get that pen out and have Michael sign his new contract.

There’s no way this lad will not be at Newcastle for another four years, so let’s get him signed up now.

The Newcastle manager after the game praised the pluck and character of his players, as he told nufvTV:

“It was a hell-of-a-game,” “There were a lot of positives for us in the first half.”
“We were two up and could’ve been three or four up by the time we conceded in injury time.”

“In fairness it was a great goal by Clinton Morrison but it’s changed the complexion of the half-time team talks.”

“They have then equalized with a last throw of the dice, but where they got the extra three-and-a-half minutes from I don’t know.” “In the end we’ve won this match three times.”

“But I was delighted with the character and fitness of my players in extra time.” “They can be proud of themselves tonight and there were some great performances.”

“It was hard work and I don’t know how much I’ve aged during that one, I’ll have to check the mirror.” “But I think the fans would’ve enjoyed it and I’m relieved we’re in the hat for the Third Round.”

A great performance from the Newcastle United team, and the lads have done us proud, once again.

• Allman20

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:35 AM

Get on lads, new players needed soon as though!!

• James

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:52 AM

I must say I was very impressed with the style of football KK has got us playing.

Last night, despite the bone crunching tackles from Coventry, the lads kept putting their foot on the ball and passing it around with a confidence and swagger we haven’t seen since KK’s last reign as Manager.

Being the cup we were always going to have some last minute goals against us, because it happens every season in the cup to the big teams. But the fitness levels of the lads, the tremendous work rate of the team, and the world class of Michael Owen brushed Coventry aside with time to spare.

If we manage to add a further 3-4 signings in the class of Coloccini, then we will be one of the best footballing teams in the country.

• James

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:58 AM

We will beat Arsenal at their own game on Saturday

• fippy

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:00 AM

You can see the benefit of youth last night, energy, fearless and willingness to carry on playing in a fluid atacking prose. #

KK mentioned in his intervirw after the game the magical “Entertainers” tag we once had, I can see, just like in the early 90’s, the nucleus of that exact same brand of entertainment.

KK never did this with Fulham, Man City or indeed england……….I just wonder if we are about to move into the great era we churn, I think indeed we are!!

• Lew Davies

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:18 AM

My only criticism would be for Colo. He got out muscled from that long throw for their 2nd goal, and barely got off his tip toes. But apart from that it was good to see some nice passing on the ground, but sometimes long ball football does work too.!
    A good work out for the lads, but worried it has taken too much out of them for saturday.
    Allardyce – you should hang your head in shame you total and utter muppet. Take a lesson from the King. 😀

• dick

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:23 AM

theres one bit of bad news this morning in the journal KK thinks it will be very hard to add any new players to the squad before the start of season.

• dick

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:25 AM

this blog has started to play up again ed ,comments dont get posted

• lesh

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Thought I’d commented but nothing to be seen. Server problems back?

Given KK’s meeting the London mafia today, let’s hope it includes MO’s contract offer and a list of deals 99.99% in the bag and subject to Kev’s final approval!

Realistically, if they’re still window shopping at this late stage, the club’s gonna be at the mercy of the sellers. What chance for three of four by Monday night?

Why couldn’t Ernier and his cronies do the business before or when the shop opened rather than as the shutters are going up on the window??

Ho hum, happy days

• MMNUFC

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:34 AM

the website is doing my head in refreshing is not working neither is clearing the cache with mozilla open..have to shut it down clear it and open it again..ed get on the phone to these jokers who are hosting this and tell them to get it sorted!!!

• WesToon

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:58 AM

@ dick // Aug 27, 2008 at 9:23

Just read the article mate…IM P###ed OFF man,this is so pathetic!!

At least the Lads played well last night,Thanx Lads,always proud of you

SAD SAD SAD Wednesday this is…..(on other fronts)

• Whumpie

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Let’s not read too much into KK’s comments about new signings. All the management have shown that they’re not averse to throwing the odd verbal curve-ball at the press.

When you look at the nature of our signings so far, it’s clear that they are deliberately throwing the press off the scent to minimise the chances of other clubs jumping in on targets.

Besides – what a match! You know you’re confident and enjoying a match when you find yourself applauding good play from both sides. The Coventry lads should be proud – but we were absolute class out there.

• cam_toon

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Fantastic…

All in all I am thrilled with the game last night. Yes we didn’t help ourselves, but I believe a lesson was learnt last night that will put us in good stead for the season to come.

We played for the most part like a TOP four team, with pass of passing, strength and flare.

Milner, Jonas, Guthrie, Butt, Zog, Colo, Bassong, Jose, Beye, Given.. All were outstanding (besides the odd slip or two).

I only have an issue with Geremi, who incidentally was boo’s off. His passing and awareness let him down last night.

All in all 8/10. We did slip up, but the last half of ET showed jus how far we have come.

• Archie Brand

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Watched the game last night from the comfort of my pad in Bahrain.

It kicked off at 9:45pm our time and I thought I’d watch half an hour and then off to bed (I’m not getting any younger)
    Saw it all the way through normal, and then extra time.

Anyway – what a game.

Milner was unlucky a few times, N’Zogbia did well up front, and Bassong and Enrique (or Henry Coeey as the Arabic commentators call him) both played well.

Guthrie played well too .

Give Colo a break – 2 weeks and 3 games in – he’s not doing too badly.
    I think he prefers the left centre back position.

Even with that squad it looks promising.

Could this be an epidemic of hope spreading across the North East?

A point against Arsenal and I’ll consider it a good season

• nomis_jade

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:50 AM

didnt get to see the game last night breat great result, thank god we are through. Could neone tell me, will the performances of jose and Nzogbia persuade KK to play them in their correct positions on sat?
    And whens the draw for the next round?
    Cheers

• sirjasontoon

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:07 AM

I just read the Keegan interview and he say’s he is less confidant that he will get anyone in before this window closes…just what I wanted to read after a summer of constant disappointment.

Now not so long ago it was the “24 hr signing” “3 maybe four”,then a “wow signing” then talk of nothing…I hope he is pulling my pecker because this isn’t going to go down very well in my view.

This squad has the backbone to do great things a few more class players and we are seriously looking like Euro challengers but surely if we can’t field a fully fit striker (for 90 mins)3 games into the season that should give Ashley the hint?

This is not a swipe at Ashley before the rose tinted toon gang start I just think Keegan needs more funds pronto !

• sirjasontoon

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Not working again ED,
    it was smooth yesterday : )

• mushy

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:10 AM

To all those who criticise James Milner (and unbelievably there are a lot on here), I hope you saw the game last night… and I look forward to hearing your comments.
    £9million from Villa, they’re having a laugh.

• chuck

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Watched the game, could have had a bag full in the first half.
    Which exposed the obvious need for a striker.
    This squad badly needs reinforcements and to go into the season without is asking for trouble.
    What I would like to know is why the excessive number of injuries at the club over the last few years ?
    The window is about to close without recruiting
    the required reinforcements, guess its a mid table finish again, resulting in lower attendence
    and a disgruntled fan base, ah well !

• scotty

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:47 AM

The football that is being played now can actually “penetrate” the opposition. Something that has lacked since SBR.

• chuck

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Got problems Ed.
    Read posts that subsequently dissapear, been happening for the last couple a days, an observation not a criticism.

• Matty

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:19 PM

my posts arent showing but milner is on his way, has asked for a transfer

• GraemeR

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Milner has put in a transfer request.

After his display last night I will not be sorry to see him go – man of the match. With the amount of the ball he has and the freedom he should of has a hatrick.

15million from Villa (if GB is 18 million) should do it – then lets get Moutinho, Derdiyok and inler

• Gazzatoon

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:22 PM

what the hell milner has handed in a transfer request!!!!! i hope weve got a replacement lined up as he played quality last night

• bigted28

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Milner is a total pri@k! Why would he think that he is better than our club. Makes me laugh actually, he never was good enough imo anyway, never beats the first man. He can struggle at Villa for me, or rot in Liverpool’s reserves for the next few years. We seriously need players, would expect a bid for SWP to materialise today, or tomorrow, but we still need 3 more on top.

• sirjasontoon

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Never rains but it pours…I can’t believe he has handed in a request this late in the window,muppet !

How come spurs can just call up pauluchenko and he is off to sign the next day…questions need to be asked about the credability of our recruitment team as my original comments that they are a useless bunch of pricks is starting to come true.

I just don’t think there has been any strategy in this window like january before,very angry me.

• sirjasontoon

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:32 PM

still not working

• sirjasontoon

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:40 PM

“James has a three-year contract with us at the moment,” he said. “I don’t even want to talk about losing James Milner.

I don’t think Keegan has a clue what is going on..this was him quoted last night.

• Tom

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Its disgraceful, I’m disappointed in him, too hand in a request 5 days before the window closes is appalling conduct.

Villa maybe guilty of tapping him up too.

• sirjasontoon

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:54 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Punk Skunk

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Milner played well v a CHAMPIONSHIP team last night, well done to him!..

…Btw, Shay was back to his old self…standing 6 yards out of goal with someone about to shoot from 20…Goal!..& didn’t even stick a leg out to stop the equalizer, in case his groin went again, i suppose?..Goal!..