Guthrie Near To England Under-21 Honors

Not many fans have been disappointed with the play of Danny Guthrie, the 21 year old who moved to Newcastle United from Liverpool in the summer.

Danny Guthrie challenges Michael Mifsud in Tuesday night’s game

Danny has only just turned 21 in April, and if he keeps his position in the first team starting line-up we would think Stuart Pearce would be almost compelled to have Danny in his England Under-21 squad.

Danny is about 15 months younger than our two current England Under-21 players Steven Taylor and James Milner, who were born in January of 1986.

Stuart Pearce talked to the Evening Chronicle before Tuesday’s match at the Ricoh Arena about out young impressive midfielder:

“I am having a good look at Danny Guthrie. He falls into the category of my age group.”“Anyone who is playing first-team football in the Premier League at his age has to be taken seriously.”

“He has not been our squad yet. We watched him at Bolton Wanderers last season and part of my job here tonight is to have another look at him.”

Guthrie was in the England schoolboy team when he was 15 years old but has not been capped by his country since that time.

But it would be fantastic if Danny does get capped, and we think if the lad keeps playing like he has been doing that will become a formality for Stuart, who is a good man.

And Pearce had glowing praise for the two current England Under-21 players Taylor and Milner, who are stalwarts in the side.

Pearce added:

“The two boys from Newcastle, Milner and Taylor, have been the cornerstones of the England Under-21 squad ever since I have been in charge.“They are the sort of kids you could build a house around.

“Milner is seven out of 10 every week. They are near enough the first boys I pick in my team never, mind the squad.”

“I am pleased that they are doing well for my old club and I am pleased that they are playing every week.”

There’s no doubt Danny has earned a call-up, and we’ll just have to see whether he makes the cut in Stuart’s next Under-21 squad.

But he’s an efficient and skilful player in midfield, and has the knack of nearly always playing the easy (and correct) ball – and that’s the sign of a very good player, when it looks so simple and easy what he does on the field.

Some of us, who have tried to replicate those skills on the football field, have proved many times over it’s not that easy. 😀

• The Entertainers

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:26 PM

His time will come!

• Safferman

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:26 PM

Dunno, he looked a bit quiet against bolton, hopefully starts making the headlines again after such a good start

• The Entertainers

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Anyway lads n lasses,

its all doom and gloom so if you want a quick pick me up just click on my name……

I bet it cheers you up!

• James

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:30 PM

He bossed the midfield at Old Trafford and I think in time he will turn out to be the bargin of the decade.

£1.5 million for someone who does more than the £20 million Modric is good business.

Could even be a future captain.

• Spyro

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:36 PM

great buy, tidy passer of the ball and always makes at least 2 or 3 superb passes per game

• never mind under 21’s, he deserves a place in the seniour squad on current form

• MMNUFC

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Careful he might be asking for a new contract soon! haha

• ToonRich

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:42 PM

At last a positive sign for people to see from the club!! I’d agree, if he can perform most of the season like the OT game then he could be worth a call up to the senior squad!

Off subject, I see SWP has gone back to ManCity for around £10million…shame we didnt make a bid at the last minute.
    I’ve also read that HENRIK LARSSON is considering offers from 3 EPL clubs, could we be one of them?? what do you guys think?
    I would love to see Larsson @ SJP, a proven goal scorer for cheap 🙂

• Ant

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:44 PM

I don’t know about bargain of the century James, we did sign Jonas for nowt as well!

• Tom

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Henrik Larsson would be a good short term option definitely. Agreed, it is a shame about SWP.

• Tom_Toon

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Guthrie looked great v Man Utd.
    Rubbish v Bolton.
    Brilliant v Cov.

• Ant

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:50 PM

What’s with the negativity in the Bolton game? You people did see it?

Not many players look good against Bolton, it’s like playing table tennis against a brick wall.

• Spyro

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:52 PM

even in the bolton game i remember him playing a couple of smart and accurate passes

• Neil Snowdon

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:53 PM

Dear Ed,

Guthrie and Butt work very well together and will probably be most effective away from SJP. Guthrie is fresh and learning fast. Some of his positional play needs refining, as he went missing for a short while in the later stages of the Coventry game – probably a bit tired!

I’ve deliberately kept my counsel during the last couple of days. I’m an optimist by nature and hope that we sign someone of quality by Monday.

I hope that if Milner plays on Saturday our away fans will not boo him as we will need even more fortitude than that shown at OT to gain a good result.

The chairman doesn’t need to say anything by the way – the club just need to post up the next signing!

Regards,

Neil

• James

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Ant – Gutierrez will be marked out of games a lot of times by teams doubling up two defenders on him. Happened at Coventry already.

As for Guthrie this boy can handle himself. Some of his passing has been superb. A newspaper article at the weekend said Guthrie will be our Carrick.

I know a lot of Liverpool fans who were really annoyed Guthrie was sold. They believe he is exactly the type of player who should be coming through into the first team to learn from Gerard.

• Ant

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Well put Neil.

But a true optimist would not see the need for new signings. Our current crop are more than capable of securing European football for next season.

A couple of squad players would be nice. We do get unlucky with injuries.

• ToonRich

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Be fair to the lad, he’s still settling in with his new team mates… take a look at Robbie Keane, we all know he’s a very good player, but in a L’pool shirt he’s looked average/crap so far!!

• ice dog

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:02 PM

just a pity FC,BASEL got though CL last night they have canny CF and just a kid wont need the money now,10mill into coffers

• harumph

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM

Liverpool have been woeful this season so far… drabber than usual. Without Torres, Carragher and Gerrard they would be a mid-table side… I think 18mil on Keane whilst letting Guthrie go for peanuts is shameful by Benitez. Still, it’s only 2 league games in and there is absolutely no way of knowing what we have in Guthrie… signs are promising though.
    Has SWP gone for sure? Shame… don’t want Milner staying after he has submitted a transfer request now. Who could we replace him with though in time?

• shoesoff

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM

A great signing by the looks of it and not the only one.
    Silence from the club = 4 great signings 2 wins and a draw at Trafford.
    They can keep me in the dark and feed me with sh1te as long as that continues.

• Bobby Ollox

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Early days – once upon a time I would not have rated anyone that Liverpool let go, but these days they dont have the same pulling power.

It might be the case that we end up swapping him for Milner + £8M, which seems like a good deal.

• shoesoff

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM

As for contracts, if milner is worth more than 35k a week (my opinion is he’s not) then what should we pay Owen? 150k, 200k he brings so much to the club, not just the team, that I don’t understand why people have it in for him.
    The fact that he is here will sell the club to a lot of players, JM won’t.

• James

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM

10 years ago, Guthrie would be given a chance at Anfield and we’d all be saying wish we could get him to Newcastle but we know we have no chance.

Nowdays we get english players like this on the cheap because the top four only want proven foreigners.

It really amuses me that they wanted Barry for all that money when they had a player of Guthrie’s ability for free right under their noses.

Benetiz was a fool for letting him go. KK is a god for bringing him to SJP.

• green13

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:25 PM

can anyone helwhn i put a fm 2008 disc into my computer it says that there is no disc in the computer,

at first i thought it was the disk but then i bought a new one and the same happens

any help thanks!!

• MMNUFC

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:27 PM

is your cd drive knackered…see if it reads anything else

• green13

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:28 PM

please can some one help,

liam perhaps?

• green13

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:28 PM

no it reads everything but fm and it cans support it cause its a vista

• green13

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM

but thanks mmnufc

• JC

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Replacments for Milner?

• Ross

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM

green13-i had problems with my copy of FM08 too. installed it onto my laptop and it worked fine but after a while it just stopped, laptop was unresponsive when i put the game into the machine. however i installed it onto a different pc, and it worked fine. so like my laptop, it could just be your pc!?
    either that or a dodgey batch of games is a possibility, doubt it though?

• green13

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:34 PM

hhhmmm yes same with me but when i put it on my mates laptopit still didnt work thanks though

• bingo wing

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM

edd i think you should put up a story on larrsson because i think he would be a class edition

• Mikel Alonso

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Hi, i am the brother of Xabi and he tells to me that Newcastle want to play him for them. they offer liverpool 18m and he will go if they allow him.

buenos diaz

• t-g-w

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:40 PM

• shearer9

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:41 PM

is anybody else as eager as me to see kk’s pre match press conference tomorrow? i think it will give a pretty clear indication as to how the meeting went, you can always tell when keegans not happy about something

• Born Again Geordie

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Well I think he deserves a shot at it – has been class for us so far and I can only see him getting better Ho’way the lads

• Hertz

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Agree with Neil.
    Booing your own player/team/manager is utter ignominous!

• Born Again Geordie

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:54 PM

OFF SUBJECT – but i see SWP has re – signed for Manc Shity !!!! Why the f**king hell were we not after him !!!!!!! 🙁

• Hertz