City Council And Fans Soldily Behind Keegan

Last night Kevin Keegan was given the backing of the Newcastle City Council, in the ongoing discussions about his future as Newcastle United manager.

Kevin Keegan – the unknown drama continues

Negotiations have been going on since Tuesday, following the blow-up between Kevin and the Newcastle Board, presumably over transfer policy, and who has final say on who leaves or goes.

But in all honesty, we still don’t know exactly what it’s all about, since the press and the fans have been told very little by the club. The club just MUST communicate better in the future with their fans, because this is getting to be little short of ridiculous.

Newcastle councilors unanimously passed a motion last night calling for an end to the confusion at Newcastle United and said they regretted the bad publicity that has yet again been caused to the club. Good for them.

Nick Forbes, the Labor leader of the opposition on Newcastle City Council, brought up the motion last night which said:

“Council recognizes the widespread public support for Kevin Keegan, and knows how much he means to Newcastle United fans.”

“Council believes that he is an asset to the club, the city and the wider community and expresses its support for his continuation in the role of manager.”

“Council regrets the adverse publicity being caused as a result of the current situation and urges Newcastle United (which has been awarded freedom of the city by the council) and Kevin Keegan to come to a mutually acceptable agreement which will allow Mr Keegan to remain in post and manage the team effectively.”

David Faulkner, who is the deputy leader of Newcastle City Council and executive member for policy development and coordination, and who seconded the motion, also said:

“This is an issue that is more than just a contractual issue between employer and employee.”“Because of the special place of Newcastle United in our community, it affects
the reputation of the club and to an extent the city.”

“We hope that it can be resolved soon and that Kevin Keegan stays, with his
position both clarified and enhanced.”

The state of affairs which now exists and has exited for almost three days now, must be brought to an end, and this is hardly the way to run a football club, or any business for that matter.

The Board is demonstrating they have no idea how to run a football club, which is not surprising because Ashley’s people, like Llambias, have no experience in this business whatsoever, and the sooner a Chairman, experienced in managing a football club is hired, the better for all concerned.

But this situation just cannot go on much longer, and lo and behold if Kevin ends up leaving the club, after all of this, because the flood-gates will then really open.

• big dunc

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:04 PM

keegan resigns

• Dannufc

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:06 PM

No way hes gone!

• PDiddy

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:07 PM

I will never watch a game of football as long as I live!

• Chris F

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:07 PM

bit late with this one ed.

if Wise gets the job, we riot.

• Gazzatoon

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:07 PM

keegan has gone. what a disgrace, how could wise be chosen over keegan!!!!!!!!

• Matt

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:07 PM

A truely dark day.

I actually don’t feel like it’s my club at the moment.

• Tore Torell

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:08 PM

KK has resigned now. Disaster for the club, now Dennis Wise will be the manager. Terrible news

• D.C.

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:08 PM

No word from the club site yet but the reports are coming that KK has indeed resigned.

• piman

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Yes, looks like he’s away, bollocks!

• J MILLS

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:08 PM

THE BOARD HAVE OBVIOUSLY CHOSEN WISE OVER KK……NOW THE FIREWORKS START !!!!

• Flan

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:09 PM

fu(king disgrace!!

• ZMILER70

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Nobody other than shearer will do and shearer will never come at this time.

Hopefully some rich billionaire seeing this drama and the passion of the fans buys the club and reinstates keegan

• scandinavian magpie

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:11 PM

He has left! I can’t believe this. Relegation scrap here we come.

• Frankie Wilde

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Time for boycott’ s and protest. Get Ahley out!

• Steeley

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:12 PM

KEEGAN HAS OFFICIALLY RESIGNED!! OH DEAR!

I CANT SEE THE STADIUM BEING EVEN HALF FULL NEXT WEEKEND, COZ I THINK SO MANY PEOPLE WILL ABANDON THE GAME.

THE OWNER NEEDS TO SELL NOW, AS THERE IS NO WAY ON GOD’S EARTH THAT ANY FAN CAN BACK HIM OR ANY OF HIS COCKNEY CRONIES EVER AGAIN!

• piman

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:13 PM

for once let us stand up for what is right and vote with our feet, I know we can only stand it for so long because we all love the club but in this case we should calmly and quietly make a huge agreement to stay away.

• King Kev Foreva

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Zmiller70 I agree with you… I am praying this is the case… that Indian fellow… top 5 richest list in the world he is…

• Gazzatoon

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:14 PM

talk of a boycott is stupid as this will only affect the players and thats the last thing we want!! if you want to do something go to the game cheer on the lads and then after the game let ashley know what u think!!!

• Jeff D

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:16 PM

I bet the place will be empty on saturday!!! I hope it is anyway they dont deserve to be supported.I Feel sorry for the players having a bunch of tossers in charge of them.

• Steeley

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:16 PM

At Post #11, to be honest mate, I cant see ANY manager wanting to come here now. Who in there right mind would want to take a manager’s position when they cant manage!?

And I swear if they think they can install Wise as manager then I can promise that I will never watch an NUFC match again until Ashley and every single one of his cronies has left the club!

• geist

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:17 PM

Do not boycott because the players need us most now. Let us protest after the games like we did in the latter stages of the sheperd era. I hope ambani takes over and wise gets sacked.

• Steeley

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:18 PM

http://www.nufc.com are trying to sort out some sort official protest and are asking for ideas. I recommended a few minutes as soon as the whistle goes where everyone turns to the Directors Box (as though looking for answers) and not bothering to watch the football.

Send them thoughts…

• KKK

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:18 PM

So annoyed…just watching SSN, newcastle fan on the line almost crying down the phone and i’m with him on that.

The only person i could see saving us now is Shearer. Lets just support the team lads im sure they are just as disillusioned as we are.

SACK THE BOARD!

• D.C.

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:18 PM

LMA statement: http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/viewfromthetop-6170.html

Names Llambias by name, and no one else. If Ashley’s next move isn’t to sack Llambias, he best sell up or invest in a Popemobile.

• walker

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:19 PM

f***ing clueless cockney cun*s

• craig chisholm

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:20 PM

thats it lads. for as long as we have ashley and those other twats at newcastle, i no longer support our once great club and i will not be using my season ticket again until this twat is out. All the players will revolt now too – this is going to kick off massive for ashley, he has made a wrong descision. Now listen up lads, dont go being suckered in by the bullshit statement that nufc will be makeing as they try to deflect and get away with what is their fault. stand strong and ctrue to what we all know is the truth. Cumon all you ashley fans………where have you all gone. Speak up please, tell us why ashley is so fking good now.

• Jeff D

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:22 PM

If you do pay to go to the match you are only putting money into yhe fat bsatrds pocket, and keeping his cronies in a job. Boycotting the games may be the only way of forcing him to sell.

• Steeley

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:24 PM

I can bet every last penny I have in my bank account that Owen will be off as soon as he gets the chance now!! And others!

• The Crooked Mag

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:26 PM

I’ll be at the match and I’ll be shouting for KK for the full 90 minutes. If Wise is made temporary manager I wouldn’t be surprised if someone belts him on the day. Just shows how much Ashley cares …. off on holiday now, probably the safest place for him !

• dick

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:28 PM

what top manager is going to come to toon with the thread-bare squad we have, it will be 4 months before he can bring any players in, then they have to play themselves in, let wise take charge he signed them he can pick the team, I DONT GIVE A F*** CAUSE I WONT BE THERE, relagation certs

• Jeff D

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Wont be going back and ive stopped my direct debit for my season ticket already!!!!Bollocks with the lot of them.

• pit yaka

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:41 PM

Ashley is a disgrace and should keep the black and white shirt off and never step out in the Big market again for his own sake, as geordies never forget. The club will be boycotted and shoudl be. The players will also revolt, they will be as gutted as us. It will never buy anything to do with the club whilst Ashley is the owner. Just sell the club and stay away. We are not your toy!!! The guys is a fool and has lost loads of money because he cannot take crticism or accept when he’s wrong. Your not from the North East so stay away and that goes for the poisened cokcney dwarf as well. You thought it was bad when you left Leeds, well wait until you see the Geordies get going. We dont do taking prisoners. Ashley will be hounded out now, might as well take what you cvan get now as he has runied any assets he had!

• daiv

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:44 PM

You guys crack me up!!!!!
    All year long you have been saying how great MA is and now its a differnt story. TOTAL HYPOCRITES. Ed harris you are one too. Worse a sychophant as well!!!
    Wait til we find out Ashley could have sold the clud to the Arabs but turned them down!!! Where do you want me to pour this pint Mr Ashley.
    KK has gone and MA has done his own legs. Could not make it up.
    MOST of you on this blog are hypocrites who are jumping on the bandwagon.
    I regret I was right all along. At least my integrity is intact. I can slag MA off along with the rest of you who thought he was a saviour!!!

• sirjasontoon

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:47 PM

I was right all along as well.
    Fk off Ashley.
    Fk off Wise
    Fk off Owl Head

• magpie6699

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:47 PM

I never thought I’d say this – but I DO think the only protest now is to stay away from my beloved NUFC – what about not going INSIDE the ground – perhaps organise a rally OUTSIDE on the streets?
    If we could get more supporters standing outside the ground than in it on Match day that would be a powerful message.

• SuperShearer

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Where now? It pains me to say it but right now our club are a joke, run by a man that has no idea what we the fans want. At the end of the day we were before him, and we’ll be here after him. Without the fans there is no Newcastle United Football Club. The best thing we can hope for right now is that Ashley sells the club and the new owner brings in a Manager that we can trust and works well with the current, yet small, squad. If not Ashley is going to have to pull a miracle out of his a*s to bring the fans round…Wise is the last name we want to see on the Manager’s rosta.

• Oleg G

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Ed, everytime u r going to say the same thing ?

“The club just MUST communicate better”

I am sure that someone from the club read already what you said, trust me, they know.

but the DON’T CARE !!!

so thats it- the only solution is a different Owner and different people in the club !

• Chris F

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:56 PM

Frankly i’m disgusted with events of the past few days.

Yes i was behind MA over the summer, and even to an extent Wise and Co, because i felt that, as professionals, they should know what they were doing.

but with the truths coming out now, it’s hard for anyone to understand just how much of a mess our club is behind the scenes, and frankly the blame for that can only lie at the feet of the man who is ultimately responsible for hiring and firing these people, and that is the owner.

It’s easy for people to try and score points and say “I told you so” now, but the fact of the matter is, I’m man enough to admit i got it wrong. If Ashley, even if through Llambias as proxy, has chosen to support Dennis Wise over Kevin Keegan, he has drawn a very poor hand and better be ready to hand over his chips.

• Ian

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Bring in Peter Reid, we need cheering up.

• Ian

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Dont turn up for three games, even the season ticket holders,

Hit Ashley in the pocket, next year he will be holidaying at Blackpool.