This Is A Black Day For Newcastle United

My father supported Newcastle United all his life, and used to go to all the away games during the successful times of the early 1950s.

A much prouder day in Newcastle United’s History  – 1955
My Dad’s the 4th from the right at the back – 6 rows down
see him?

He attended the FA Cup Final in 1955, with my mother, when we whipped Manchester City 3-1, and were ahead 1-0 after just a minute with a goal (a header!) from the great Jackie Milburn.

Both my parents are now dead, but I think my Dad will be turning in his grave tonight, at the events of this week, that have made Newcastle United into a laughing stock, if we weren’t already.

The new regime at Newcastle United have proved to us this week, just how inadequate and unqualified they are at being the custodians of this proud football club.

At best they don’t seem to have a clue of how to run a football club, which of course they have never done before.

The have proved to be utterly incompetent at best.

We would hope that things may be better tomorrow, and right now we feel like quoting Scarlett O’Hara in Gone With The Wind

After all – tomorrow is another day.

We hope it’s a lot better one than today, that’s for sure.

• scottynine

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:58 PM

F**king Ar*e Holes can’t even speak to the poor Bas*rd face to face or over the Phone.

What a Disgrace this club is !!!!!

09:00 I will be on the phone to NUFC Box Office to cancel the 3 year direct debit and will defo BOYCOTT the Hull Game What Twatts

• Yeomsta

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Hear hear Ed! S0 sad seeing pics like that and comparing it to todays sorry excuse for a club 🙁

• Durham mag

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:02 PM

forty years supporting the mags and never felt like felt so sick. When will the club stop taking us for granted?

• graeme

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:03 PM

Ed my dad was at all 3 cup finals in the 50’s and saw bring the cup home all 3 times. They were the proudest days of his time as a fan.

I’m sure he would be utterly disgusted at the way special K has been treated this time round.

I didnt think he was the right man when they appointed him to replace BSA and said so many times, however, once he was back in charge he has had 100% repect from me and every other fan.

Mike Ashleys time in charge of NUFC is now “borrowed time” he just hasnt realised it, but he has to sell up and go. He has clearly demonstrated that he hasnt a clue what this club means to the ordinary people like you and me and everyone else who comes on this site.

• scott9

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:04 PM

all the stuuf that has been going on is exackly why newcastle united will never be a big football club i now understand wot my dad means wen he always said that to me.

• toontony

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:05 PM

the bastards of got a cheek to say they tried everything to keep kev, yet they sent him a letter of proposals and said he didnt take option to discuss them …
    cockney twats f**k off ashley and co hope you realize what you have done

• dave v

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:05 PM

scotty9

that is the only way I’m afraid to remove these people.

EVERYONE CANCEL THERE SEASON TICKET.

• I Made 1000

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:06 PM

AAAH THE GOOD OLD PAST EH

• sheffstev

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:06 PM

ED i am glad of your support as you are a proud and dedicated FAN. i really believe the FAT GREEDY PIG has already sold NUFC. there is no other logical x planation. On the Positive side it has to be someone WITH MEGA BUCKS

• Tom B

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Guardian have a piece on it for tomorrows paper – http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/05/newcastleunited.premierleague?gusrc=rss&feed=sport – implying Ashley kept his ground and waived the £2m compensation that Keegan would be paying the club for resigning (an odd contract in the first place – neither side would ever want to be rid of the other!).

And Poyet? Please no.

• dave v

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:08 PM

CANCEL ALL SEASON TICKETS

• ciaran

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:09 PM

Well put Ed. I love this club so much, days like this make me wonder why. How dare Ashley do this? I have said it before, and I will repeat it, if Dennis Wise is put in charge my long assosciation with this wonderful club will end

• BUDGIE

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:10 PM

I feel so sad this is the worst day in NUFC history, I went to my first game in 1965, I don,t know yet if I will ever go to another one.

• ite

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:11 PM

protest ideas anyone

• toonfan

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:11 PM

great piece ed….read most your posts…am a geordie lad whose great uncle was goalkeeper late 30’s so yeah it hurts us bad all this crap mate….but when your black and white – well those stripes stay their forever, like you said mate.

howay lads

• hitman

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:13 PM

the only way our football club can survive if ashley goes now,theres no other way

• Robby Bobson

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:13 PM

I feel sorry for the players as well as the fans…what must Xisco be thinking right now, as any boycott will affect them but what 0ther way will there be to show Ashley what its like when you try and take the Toon army for muppets.

What manager is going to want to come to Newcastle now. I do think that Vetere and Jimene have done a good job in bringing in some players, but they should be working an advising Keegan, not listeinng to Dennis Wise and doing things behind the managers back.

WISE OUT!!!

ASHLEY OUT!!!

BRING IN THE ARABS!!!

• Rich

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:16 PM

I feel sick

• Ross R

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:17 PM

A very sad day indeed. The papers and mackems will milk this for all its worth. Its embarrassing.

Sort this out Ashley and quick. We dont want Wise or Poyet as manager either.

• OnePutt

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:18 PM

I too am depressed with this. Feel bad gor KK. But guys boycotting will do nothing. I think this is a time to bet behind THE PLAYERS. how must they be feeling? As sad as this is we must still support them. we can still have a resonable season. anyone agree?

• daiv

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Most of you are hypocrites for supporting Ashley all year. Now suddenly you want to kill the guy.
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY. WHY?
    Because it signals the end of Ashley. It took the Kings depoarture to effect it but it is worth it. Ashley is toast.
    Ed Harrison, for Gods sake speak the truth rather than blandly spouting the clubs diatribe. I thought you wrere MAs dad all year. Changed your tune all of a sudden

• SD Toon

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:19 PM

My great Uncle was former NUFC Captain & Manager Joe Harvey is he in this picture?

• Long Live The King!

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:25 PM

They sent him a letter!!!

Dirty Cockney Scum!

• WildWillyWilson

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM

So what we gonna do then lads? Let Ashley ruin our club or stand up and let him know this simply isnt going happen and were not putting up with it. Quite frankly we, and Keegan, have been treat with utter contempt. Its apparant that the southern b*stards are so out of touch with the club and its supporters its untrue.

I only wish our Hull game was this Sat instead of next. A boycott is possible but will it actually affect Ashley??? Most people have already paid for their seats upfront and hes already had our cash in that respect.
    Ideas welcome, nufc.com are running a few on their site.
    WE MUST LET THIS FEELING SUBSIDE- ITS THE FUTURE OF OUR CLUB AT STAKE.

• Danny

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM

I have supported this club for 12 years, im now 26, and i have never been so close to crying over the football club of my heart, as i’ve been today.

For me KK, you have been our greatest manager of all my time!

• hitman

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:27 PM

daiv:im on here all the time mate, i never trusted ashley never,ask spyro and we all know he had his head up ashleys ahole

• WildWillyWilson

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:27 PM

Meant to say WE MUSNT LET THIS FEELING SUBSIDE!!

• Toon of Bahrain

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Let’s just pray Dubai’s boys are watching!!!

DISGRACE

• Jordeeboy

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM

What?……………I repeat…….What ?….as a proud footballing nation (The Geordie Nation) have we let happen to our…YES… OUR game and our … YES… OUR team?
    I have followed this team for years and even when things were bad we always were optimistic about the next game/season/transfer window.
    I feel like this has all been taken away from us today.
    Not just because KK has gone…..believe me it’s more than that. They have taken away our soul. Everything we used to sing and cheer about at St James Park… the banter before and after the game, win, lose or draw.
    I am so very very sad about what has happened. I feel empty, hurt and bewildered.
    We didnt really deserve this ….did we?

• daveyboy

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:29 PM

2.5words! Gutted & annoyed!

• Irish John

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Ashley out..This isa digrace…They have made the biggest mistake ever in how theyhave treated KK…

You would’nt see manure and the asre treating Ferguson and wenger like this….Absolute farce

• Long Live The King!

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:33 PM

I for one will not stay away, the players need us right now!

Lets get behind them!!

Till Death Us Do Part!!!!

Keep The Faith!!!!!!!

• Phil

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Totally gutted by the events of the last few days. Signed players which the manager did not want? Great confidence boost to our new signings and no doubt Owen has had his mind made up for him!
    Laughing stock is right, I’m bitterly disappointed and even questioning my support for a club which is no longer a footballing club

• daiv

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:35 PM

SD Toon
    Never saw Joe play but was a real quality manager. Joe Harvey is a legend.

• Lintoon

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:35 PM

Excellent article ed. I’m impressed that your writing didn’t express anger which I know you must have.

Fancy sending a letter. Disgraceful.

For the first time I can see what other fans see of this club.

I see it this way:
    Kev was sick of not being able to “manage” in the true sense in football so ended up leaving. The big man seen the uproar and tried to talk him round but giving very little. Big man said here’s how we’re going to do it.
    Quote:
    “Over the last few days the Club has devoted itself to the discussions it has held with Kevin and as a result of those discussions had put together a set of practical suggestions for how to move forward.”

Notice the ” put together a set of practical suggestions”. In a letter if I’m reading it right.
    So they’ve said these are your options take it or leave it.
    Quote:
    “The letter which Kevin received today from managing director Derek Llambias has failed to resolve the matters at issue between him and the club, and accordingly he feels he has no alternative other than to resign.”

I feel sick to the pit of my stomach. My club is being torn to shreds by someone who doesn’t understand or care. The finances are sorted and we are now an attractive purchase. He’ll make a nice profit. Don’t worry though. It’s just business.

• simon376

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:38 PM

I’m the first to admit, I did support the bloke thought a lot of this could be down to the press. After seeing what they did to my cousin when he played for Newcastle I’ve never trusted the press. But for the past few days I have changed my opinion of Ashley. I know its too late and I’m sorry. Should have seen it all earlier, I was wrong.

As for what we can do, I’m not sure. As WildWillyWilson has just said, he already has a lot of our money for this season, so not going to the games isn’t going to mean anything to him. I think it might have to be a case of some kind of display outside before the game. Get behind the players between 3:00 to 4:45 (they are NUFC along with us fans after all) then as soon as the wfinal whistle is blown, make our feelings known.

After that I just don’t know. We can only hope he sells up to this Indian bloke. I’ve been against forigne owners, was happy that an English bloke owned an English premier league club. But what good has it done??? All we need is somebody doesn’t matter where they are from to come in and bank roll the club.

As for who would manage us, who knows. In a dream world, the new owners would bring Keegan back, but I don’t think there is much chance Keegan would want to burn his hands again. Unles he gets the perfect offer and wants to finish of some buisness for us. I know its unlikely, but we can only dream and hope

• daiv

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:39 PM

Hitman
    I know you and a few others (Prawn Sand) have slated MA but the vast majority were blowing sunshine up his backside. Including the owner of this blog. Within the space of a few days thet all want to kill the guy. No recognition of the fact they were terribly wrong for months on end. Just find it all so incredible. Good on you Hitman.

• Brave New Toon

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:40 PM

tommorow is not another day ed,
    thats obviously what the board think..
    “it’s ok theres a week til the next game.. the stupid northeners will have forgotten about it by then”
    well let me tell you thats not the case.. we have long memories.. and will not forget and not forgive.. in no uncertain terms..
    like you.. my grandad and dad stood in the stands.. flat caps and all, day off from hard labour.. cheering on, wor mac.. robledo and keegan.. I stood/sat! in the same place, watching kilcline,mirandino,micky quinn, sellars,peacock,fox, beardsly,steve watson,robbie elliott,ginola,robert,asprilla,ferdinand, shearer,martins, and colocinni.

I’ve had my heart ripped out.. and your blog makes me think about my old grandad.. who i’m sure can’t believe his eyes.

and you got in in one.. the current board and owner are 100% unqualified to run our beloved and great club.

They have broken the heart of a nation..

And have surely only succeeded in waking a sleeping giant, We are the toon and must unite to emencipate ourselves from the cockney spivs.. who have ripped our club apart.

TOON ARMY.. DO NOT FORGET…
    STAND NOW.. AND STAND TOGETHER,.. OUR CLUB IS A CLUB HANDED DOWN THROUGH GENERATIONS.. AND I KNOW FOR ONE.. MY GRANDAD WOULD NOT HAVE ACCEPTED IT

• mart

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:41 PM

I am 51 years old and I have never felt so ashamed and so gutted. I am so angry I can barely speak, but my initial reaction (maybe in the heat of the moment) is to boycott the next home game against Hull and I call on all those who signed up for three years to cancel your direct debits tomorrow. We may have signed a legally binding document, but let them take 20,000 of us to court. Its time to stand up and be counted lads n lasses. They are taking the piss out of us and I for one have had enough.
    Forget all the embarrassment and the fact we have become a laughing stock ,its just a sad sad day in the history of football and The Toon.

Gutted

• Ally

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:43 PM

What a shambolic day for OUR club!