Given – Special Word For Kevin – A Great Guy

Goalkeeper Shay Given has been at the club since the summer of 1997, accepts the club is again is in a state of turmoil, following Kevin Keegan’s resignation last Thursday evening.

Shay Given – preparing for game against Montenegro

Shay had suffered a slight injury in training with Ireland, but he looks to be ready for tomorrow’s World Cup qualifier against Montenegro.

Asked if he felt for the Newcastle fans Shay said:

“Of course I do – I don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. It’s frustrating because Keegan’s a great manager and a great guy too so he will be missed.”

“That’s all really I can say. I can’t say too much on what has happened or what might happen. But a special word for him because I think he’s a great guy.”

Ireland will play Montenegro in Podgorica tomorrow night, in a tough game, after getting all 3 points with a 2-1 win over Georgia on Saturday. Given was able to train yesterday, which is good news for Newcastle fans.

It looks like Newcastle will not be appointing a new manager until next week at the earliest, with the indications that Gianfranco Zola will be the new West Ham manager, before the end of the week.

Chris Hughton and Richard Money will be managing the first team for the game against Hull City on Saturday, and until a new manager is appointed.

We have no idea who the club are after, to fill the vacant manager position.

• Ian

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Funny, I have never heard Ashley and a ‘great guy’ in the same sentence, I am sure Wise will have said it a number of times.

• sirjasontoon

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Since keegan has gone and all the turmoil has happend I have not been following Newcastle in the same capacity..it’s like I don’t seem so bothered…I think it stems from a massive build up of negatives that i think began when we missed modric and it just seemed the negatives where constant along with all the speculation and effectivly ruined the summer.

I think my head must have just went on meltdown (or maybe a mini breakdown)but over the last week I maybe have a quick flick on newsnow once a day max.

All the managers we are linked with suck compared to kk..you can’t buy that bond he had with the Fans and i really miss him.

I don’t think the club can hurt my feelings much more or my head,Keep up the good work Mr Harrison Top man.

Go Fatty it is getting boring now.

• Ganiyu

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Kk would bring short term success.but a new one and a trophy.

• Ganiyu

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:42 AM

Hull city 4 life

• geordiejayne

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Pass this on to everyone you can think if, if you are going to the match or not we can all do something

• Ganiyu

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Now a new coach has 2 follow my advise and sell viduka owen smith bartoon abombi duff.get competition for beye and jose.

• Prandom

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

sirjasontoon i agree it’s just not the same anymore.
    i just feel let down by everything and everyone at the club.
    i wonder if ed’s site views have reduced at all?

• Ganiyu

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Wats that?

• Greg

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Carn the gooners

• Ganiyu

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Owen is a good player but not 4 dis club.free transfer pls:-

• Ganiyu

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM

I have a feeling hull would win d league

• Toon Chicken

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:59 AM

What a pile of carp that YouTube video is.

“What have Ashley done?”

Frigging hell, I’m not one for having a go at spelling and grammar but if you’re going to release a load of propaganda sh!te at least try and not come across like a total dumb-ass.

All this “Put the entire first team up for sale” sh!te n’all. I’m sorry but if you believe that then you have to believe that Keegan wanted to buy Becks, Lamps and Hypia – you can’t just pick and choose.

Just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse too.

• geordiejayne

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Toon Chicken you are doing it again………….

I am passing it on I did not make and neither you are I know the truth let others have their opinions and decide what they want to do.

AHSLEY OUT

• vic

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:21 PM

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!
    NUFC going bring extraordinary Manager’s tandem from SWINDON Town FC – DENISE WISE & GUS POYET.
    The pair was moved from the Swindon just in 5 months… to LEEDS FC who was relegated under DW guidance straight away.
    By the way PAUL STURROCK who replaced them guided Swindon to promotion to League One(!).
    So, Sturrock probably is the better choice for the Premier League NUFC than this extraordinary pair. Just think Mike about this.
    Our team realy needs winning mentality
    What a mess

• Toon Chicken

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM

geordiejayne – what are you chatting about love?

You say you want to let others make their own opinions because no one knows the truth and yet you are spamming an amateur video on every comment that is presenting itself as fact.

• Fippy

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Well well well, what a week in football.

What doesn’t break us can only make us stronger.

The overwhelming outcome to this whole sorry saga is that unity has been restored and again we can call ourselves an army. Keep in mind though that things shall inevitably get worse long before they start to get better and pride alone should give us the strength to unite BEHIND the team and not against them.

It is interesting that the British media are showing an unseen levelof compasion to ourselves now and I wonder if they feel in some way responsible for losing the best thing they ever had to sell papers in our region.

Rather than pander to their needs I suggest we boycott te very rags that perpetuated the events we are now surrounded in.

Money talks and Ashley walks.

Interesting to know what share he has in Media partners

• AO

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM

a great guy who walked out on us a second time. the blokes a fraud.had he been sacked i could understand everyone getting angry with ashley but he wasnt. keegan had a paddy and walked.

• Toon4Life

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM

He really should be captain, always has a true word and never affraid to be honest with the press or the supporters…

I understand that the lure pf the captains armband may have been used to keep Owen at the club but really there should only be one captain and thats shay…

• Spitfire

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Just boycott the Hull match. It is one match for gods sake and boycotting it would make such a massive statement. The players will understand its not directed at them. The rsult win lose ort draw does not matter. Its the bigger picture that is really really important. EVERYBODY please boycott the Hull match

• geordiejayne

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:11 PM

I said let them make their own opinion to this video.

I am not arsed what you have to say Toon Chicken. Enjoy arguing with all and sundrey.

Have a nice day

ASHLEY OUT. TOON ARMY 4 EVA

• Desmond - GoalSnip.com

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Haha…Given thinks KK is great…too bad Ashley doesn’t

• WesToon

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:06 PM

@ Spitfire // Sep 9, 2008 at 12:50

U say its just one match!!! Mate the hull game is NOT ONE we can afford to loose,ITS A MUST WIN…incase we might just need those points..you never know,whether it be to sneak in2 europe or to avoid relegation!!!

Plus what is 1 boycott gona do mate???
    Doesnt it make more sense to BOYCOTT club merchandise…it will hurt him more in the long run Lads!!

C’mon the players NEED US more than ever NOW!!!

Howay NUFC !!!

• toon Olly

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Toon4life i totally agree, have been saying it since shearer left give shay the armband! MO’s no captain anyway…

• neeraj

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM

i would have loved it if OWEN and BARTON had spoken these words……….

• Ian

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Shay just says it how it is.

• Ian

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Neeraj, good point Owen should have, Barton wouldnt be a good idea.

• reillers

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:40 AM

I’m glad he’s fit for tomorrow, we’re going to need him I’d say, he had a wee knock from the Georgia match but nothing more then a few wee bumps and bruises. He was rested for training the yesterday buy he’ll start tomorrow thankfully. In fairness to him, he always says it how it is. Hopefully we’ll pick up full points tomorrow so he’ll be in a better mood for the weekend, it wont change things but it might help him.