Given Like Buffon Says Ireland Manager Trapattoni

Shay Given has spent almost his entire career at Newcastle United, and is the best goalkeeper ever at the club, shading Ronnie Simpson, who after leaving Newcastle in 1960 went on to Celtic and Scotland fame.

Shay Given – in brilliant form this season

Kenny Dalglish brought Shay in from Blackburn Rovers in the summer of 1997 for £1.5M, one of the best buys ever for the club. But despite Shay’s undoubted quality, he has yet to win any trophies at the forever underachieving Tyneside club.

Newcastle are again in crisis after manager Kevin Keegan resigned last Thursday evening, and Trapattoni, the new manager of Ireland, believes the player is wasting his career at St James Park.

The Italian coach who won honors at Juventus, Inter Milan and Bayern Munich, believes that Given is a truly world-class goalkeeper, and has advised Serie A clubs to try to take the goalkeeper to Italy.

Trapattoni said:

“I would recommend Italian clubs to buy Shay Given from Newcastle,” “He resembles Gianluigi Buffon and I am not exaggerating when I say this.”

“He is a born goalkeeper and there is a vacancy for players like this in Serie A.”

Given will be gaining his 89th cap tonight when Ireland take on Montenegro in their second World Cup 2010 qualifier, and there’s no doubt Shay is back to his brilliant best this season, after two years of suffering through groin injuries.

But Shay is settled in Newcastle, so we think there’s very little chance of him moving from the club, and we expect he will be playing until he’s almost 40 years old, another 8 seasons.

• Ian

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Was settled.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:49 AM

D devil is at work.shay dont worry u get some tin soon.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Ian has he signed a new contract

• Born Again Geordie

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Shay Given – Legend and back to his best !!!

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Any 1 know any football manager Blog?

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Best but poor and sick team players

• faustino

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Er…. do what. Yeah tell you what next time your after Shay for a friendly in the arseh*le of the planet how about we tell you to do one Giovanni you cheeky t*t.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Shay sign 4 ac milan.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Any 1 know wen cacapa leaves d club.i have a message 4 a pal of mine in brazil

• Angryman the Angry Fan

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Lets not kid ourselves here ED!!

In the current climate, If i was Shay Given and any of the top 10 Italian sides come in for me….ta ta toon!!

Wouldnt want to stay and play for the incompetent tossers currently in charge of the club!!

• GoesseN

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:20 PM

i would only ever move across to my homeland to play if i played for the toon and an offer came in, i have no interest anywhere else.

• Michael

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Thats an unbelievably unprofessional comment to make.
    What kind of international manager tries to unsettle players, he has nothing to gain.

• clinta

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:23 PM

the best player we’ve ever brought in my opinion- i wasn’t around for the Milburn days,

feel Shay has even been a better servant for us than Shearer, and at a fraction of the price.

• mitch

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Shay loves the toon but with MA in charge anyone has there price remember

• reillers

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:33 PM

He’s a great keeper, he’s modest, too modest maybe. But something he hasn’t kept secret is his real want to win trophies.

Everytime after a match when he’s told oh you kept them in the game again or oh you werse fantastic he always says something like he’s just doing what he’s been paid to do or that the lads in front of him were fantastic as well..etc. He never buys into it.

I wouldn’t hold him back though, if an offer came in tomorrow morning from a top team then I’d want him to take it. He could have left 100 times over and gone to Arsenal or walked into any other top 4 team where he could have won silverware, but he stuck it out with us, he should his loyalty. He loves Newcastle and I think he almost feels he owes them something for making him the player he is today.

I don’t know about ye but I wouldn’t begrudge him for a second if he left to go somewhere else, he’s knocked back offers or potential offers again and again and stuck with us threw so much crap and joke defending but I think it’s just gotten to the stage of ridiculous now with what’s going on at the club. The amount of times at away games where I’d hear lads talking about how good he is, it would always be followed up with what the hell is he still doing at Newcaslte.
    I think to be honest that I’ve to agree. And he is wasting his talent here, we’re not, at this rate anyway, going to win something in the next 4 or 5 seasons, and he deserves a trophey or so.

As for Italy, I don’t think it’d suit him. He’s no Italian for starters and the heat, he hates the heat, everytime it shows these lads training away from home like today in Montengro, he’d be there with the white tshirt over his head in the shade, he can’t stand the heat, we’re not meant to. All we’re used to is rain and at the very most 20 odd degrees.
    But if an English side like Arsenal knocked on our door for him tomorrow I wouldn’t hold him back.

He’s a great, great keeper and words can’t describe how much he’d be missed. But it’s gotten to a point where he’s wasting his talent. I wish to God I could say that he should stay, sure we’ll win a trophey our two in this season, next season..etc. But that’s about as likely as Ahsley growing a wee set of balls.
    He’s a great lad, a fantastic keeper and he deserves a trophey or two before he finishes. I thought, I honestly thought that that was possible with Keegan, but now..who knows.

• steveM

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:44 PM

The Kübler-Ross model is suprisingly accurate at describing the reactions of the fans:

1. Denial:
    * Example – “I feel fine.”; “This can’t be happening.”
    2. Anger:
    * Example – “Why me? It’s not fair!” “NO! NO! How can you accept this!”
    3. Bargaining:
    * Example – “Just let me live to see my children graduate.”; “I’ll do anything, can’t you stretch it out? A few more years.”
    4. Depression:
    * Example – “I’m so sad, why bother with anything?”; “I’m going to die . . . What’s the point?”
    5. Acceptance:
    * Example – “It’s going to be OK.”; “I can’t fight it, I may as well prepare for it.”

• 51times

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:55 PM

What a greasy wop moron, why would Shay want to go to Italy? Italian football is horrible.

• Quazi

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:00 PM

if shay does stay till he’s 40 then Tim Krul’s probably not gonna be happy about it. neither is steve harper

• Toon Chicken

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:02 PM

That’s rich – coming from a sweaty sock, 51 Times!

• TOONALE

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:05 PM

SteveM – so whats your point Mr Amateur Psychologist

I see that this is a direct cut and paste from Wilipedia – you might have made up some real life examples based on fans behaviour to bring it to life a little.

So have you gat anything more to add or a point to make?

I’d say it’s simple – Ashley is incompetent and hasn’t properly realised that the fans are the club. He assumes he can take us all for fools. While some have been sucked in (and there are plenty on this board) as they are to daft to realise what is happening the majority are not so easliy fooled and intend to fight back and hurt him where is matters – in his pocket and – if the papers follow events planned for Saturday he’ll be embasrrassed too (my favourite behavioural state for not-so-Wise Ashley

• reillers

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM

I doubt he wants to go to Italy, it was his coach who was from Italy in a press conference with Italian journalists, where he said he should be looked at by Italian clubs because he was that good.
    He’d hardly turn around in that interview and said oh well he’s fantastic, I think English clubs should go and buy him.
    Given hasn’t said a word about it yet.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Ashley is right.football is business.y cant d queen of england take over Newcastle?spend wisely.

• maltese geordie

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:34 PM

i hate to hear this com on lads put yourself together we dont want any crap managers we want big names like ZICO dont let wise and co do what they want venebales ,o leary ,poyet ,ince they all sh*te we must go foward not back wards and given will stay

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Im 100 percent in support wit ma.he has d money and power so he avoids losses and creates more profits which is good.:-)I can remember when fat sam
    Tried 2 sell martin and get extra craped players no 1 complaine but wen ma tried 2 get rid of dat small high earning and greedy injury shit who refused a contract .u guys were fuming like demons.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:40 PM

I would prefer a foreign coach not some english failures:-(.

• cooldj

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:42 PM

hope the new manager makes him captain.

• AO

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:43 PM

mitch- if man city , spurs or any of the top 4 came in with an offer given would be off and to be honest i wouldnt blame him.

i reckon the best thing that could happen is we get relegated and build from the bottom back to the top again.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Captain of greedy twat fc

• WesToon

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:46 PM

@ Ganiyu

Mate,i think you need to sit down,have a cup of tea & SERIOUSLY think about STOPPING all the crack you smoke!!

Blimey i have never read SO much bollocks in my whole life

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Newcastle would b a very rich club if every 1 of u thinks like ma
    But not act like him

• dick

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Given is a top keeper, buts lets face it he has won nothing, only way he can is if he moves to another club, will only have a relagation struggle at toon. Paul Ince name in frame now, how many best mates has that little sh** Wise got

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Westoon u round like fat sam brother.

• jay b

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:00 PM

just heard some terrible news

two peanuts walked in to shearer’s bar, one was a salted

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Fans are also cause of most problems.too much expectations.i want dennis wise as Newcastle manager and u tell me is shit

• Toon4Life

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:08 PM

Hope he is made Captain of the Team once the new manager comes in, who better knows the club and it’s players and has the experience he has… I was never a Fan of having a front man as a Captain as the play is always (of should be always) behind them instead of in front of them…

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Zico pls

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Agreed wit u toon4life.i sometimes feel fat sam got headaches wen he was choosed.i prefer jb even if he is a thug

• ObaFan2

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:21 PM

So far 7% want to “Appoint A New Manager And Get On With It”

• bowburnmag

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:24 PM

jay b – Shearer being Shearer, he’ll have stuck the nut on one of them.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:25 PM

Geremi was ok. My mobile is hot i would take my leave.bye