We could be way off base here, but we don’t think Mike Ashley is quite as daft, stupid and unattached as he has looked over the last two weeks.
Ashley – he can clear things up – but must move quickly
When Kevin Keegan resigned a week last Thursday night, Mike was in New York City, and we thought then that Kevin had surprised those negotiating with him when he suddenly resigned.
We’re sure the order from Mike to Derek Llambias and Dennis Wise, was to work something out with Kevin, after the last hectic day of the transfer season the previous Monday, when reports suggest that Kevin walked out on them.
We had expected that Ashley would even have patched things up the following day, or some short time thereafter, but have been amazed that he has left the situation open ended, and not said anything to the Newcastle fans.
If we were Ashley right now, we’d meet again with Kevin Keegan, put the Newcastle United club first for a change, and work through some working conditions that would be acceptable to Keegan, to take the helm at Newcastle again.
The big no no with Newcastle fans, whether it’s true or not, is that it appears that Dennis Wise has gone and brought in a couple of players behind Kevin’s back, which is exactly what he said he would not do when he was hired.
If that’s true Kevin has plenty to be upset about, and he cannot manage under those conditions, but things are not yet beyond redemption.
Here’s what Ashley should, and can, (and we hope will) do – to right the faltering ship at Newcastle.
- Meet with Kevin Keegan and get him back as manager at Newcastle
- Give Kevin the first and last say on who comes into the club, and who leaves the club – that surelty cannot be a big deal – and if Dennis Wise doesn’t like it – so be it
- Give Kevin a certain amount of cash for the January transfer window, so that he can bring in a few players to see us through the rest of this season
- Bring in Chris Mort again as Chairman, or a Chairman who can work closely with Kevin and send Derek Llambias on his way – he will not be missed
- Keep Kevin informed of most goings on at the club – it’s obvious Keegan likes to know what’s going on – and he is the number one man at the club – so keep him informed – and keep him happy
- Admit to the Newcastle fans Mike made a mistake in allowing Kevin to leave the club, but that will not happen again – and it’s now full steam ahead with Kevin at the helm
If Ashley would do that, do it quickly, and stand by his word, this panic situation at the club could be over very quickly.
What’s happening is that people are getting in the way, with their own opinions on various things, and the club and the fans are the big losers in all of this.
It’s time the club was put first and if we do that – this mess could be cleared up very quickly.
We really do believe there’s a good chance this scenario could happen.