Newcastle Club Statement Denies Shearer Sacking

The Newcastle club has been quick to deny that Shearer has been sacked from his position of Club Ambassador.

Alan Shearer – not sacked

Alan Shearer – Club Statement

Alan Shearer had a contract for ambassadorial duties which ran out at the end of last season.

As a gesture of goodwill from the Club, Alan was given a complimentary corporate box back in June for use at St. James’ Park and the Club continues to have an excellent relationship with its all-time greatest goalscorer.

Any suggestion that Alan was stripped of this role because of recent events is completely inaccurate.

It’s good the club put that story to rest quickly, and indeed the story originated in the Daily Mail, but was then given some credence by being reported in the Telegraph.

It seems to us the story was put out to discredit the current regime, and as we said the club has done the right thing to kill the story.

• Born Again Geordie

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Let me guess – you got the original story from the Sun ??????

• The Entertainers

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Hey by the way, well done NUFC PR team, your learning.

After the bloody awful Daily Mail spread its vicious rumours again about Shearer, the club responded and responded with speed to deny this story.

You see, you can do it.

I’m ashamed i bought the story this morning, not realising it came from the poisoned pen of the Mail. Apologises again and well done.

Boycott the mail……..are we still using the ‘B’ word … 🙂

• Xsico golden boot

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Thetruth is we belived it because we do think they would stoop that low so what they say is he can no longer have a free box or am i wrong please put me right this buisness is really starting to confuse me.

• DanToon

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Did anyone else notice that Hull were playing in Newcastle shorts an socks on saturday?? Weird!

• Paul

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Xsico, they haven’t “sacked” him, his contract ran out last year and he still has a corporate box there. Nothing happened and the story was all made up by the Daily Mail then some other papers copied it. That’s about it!

• BenjiToon

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:40 AM

I still don’t know if I buy this but at least they’ve learnt to actually talk to us!

• SteveM

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Still after what the club has been through the s***stiring continues. They will never stop because the people writting them have the same attitude towards people from the north as the cockney hating bigots have for the people down south. Its sad that in the absence of decent information people believe the worst about someone rather than the best. Its sad that people from outside the area have to prove themselves to some people rather than being respected from the start.

• Ganiyu

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:47 AM

I cant wait 2 see oba back. More threatful than owen

• Xsico golden boot

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Do you think if the arabs take over we will get 10p a litre off are fuel for being a season ticket holder

joke lol

• TOONPIPES

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Hitman / Hate Prawn Sandwhiches / Obafan / Normski / NIck 69 / GerodieJayne …

I havent agreed with much you have said … I think you are a fair representation of the ”geordie nation” and I respect your passion and love for the toon…. and you have got what you wanted – which is better than me!! …..

We have some differences of opinion ……….. both on the specific situations and possibly it seems on what we want from the club.

1) – We could have an owner who is going to spend cash on established top players – Gerrard / Beckham / Lampard …….. if we can get them to come to the toon !! ……. it seems that is what people want ……. problem Is that MA didn’t agree with that, and I think I have decided that I would PREFER his method, to have an operation where the set-up is about buying in the best young talent in the world and developing them into world-class players. Im not talking about complete unknowns, I mean players up to like 23-24 ………. you could still pay 32 mill for someone at that age.

This way the club becomes self-sufficient and the emphasis is placed on youth. This makes more business sense and its could be f cuking exciting seeing us produce a world-class player.

Also I detest the amount of money footballers earn + when buying a Bekham or a Lampard you are giving an already hugely wealthy player and even greater amount of money. You might argue that the best young players still earn ridiculous amount of money, + they certainly earn more than most of us, but at least there would be a chance to see them emerge as top players. We all work hard for our cash and end of the day part of that will go toward players wages. I like the idea that we could be involved in the making of a player rather than just lining an already wealthy mans pockets.

I am sure you will argue that MA is a wealthy man whos pockets we are lining, but ultimately in the world of owners, he is probs down the list – hence his strategy which I seem to be in agreement with.

2) – Re: Keegan walking.

I am still 100% against Keegans decision to walk + I hold him as equally responsible for the current mess as MA. I don’t care if he didn’t get players he wanted in and I don’t care if he felt underminded. I struggle to keep my reasoning and comments on this considerate. Sarcastic side of me, says ”the poor lamb, he only has 4 mill a year. Do you think Benitez up the road gets on with the board? – after they went after Klinsman to place him etc etc. NO he doesn’t, but he gets on with the job he is paid to do”.

For me, if Kev didn’t like the job, he should have approached MA and told him so. If they couldn’t work it out and Kev wanted to go, he should have gone to MA and told him and said, but I know that without me, there is going to be an almighty s hit situation, + so I will stay for 4-6months and help you find a replacement.

===================

So…. not sure if that covers everything particulaly clearly, and I have possibly missed somat for which apologies …. but havent got any more time left to type so this will have to do ………………..

• lesh

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Pity they hadn’t got teh PR message some months ago!

Am I imagining things or did I read that Llambias was leaving, before all this blew up?

• Ganiyu

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Apart from cars wat do u people use fuel for?just asking

• bowburnmag

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:58 AM

TOONPIPES – thoroughly decent post mate.

• TOONPIPES

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Cheers Bowburnmag … im gutted at the moment ..

• BenjiToon

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:03 PM

Toonpipes – a measured post, most welcome. Even though I disagree, I’m glad some people can hold their heads in all this and keep to their views…not be swayed by the press. I’m guilty of that sometimes, although I still think KK was pushed out and Ashley has royally messed things up – execution not necessarily his plan that was wrong.

• Ganiyu

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I would die a happy boy if i found out that Nufc produces world class players from the feeder team and sell them for large profit.

• TOONPIPES

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Cheers Benji … yeh perhaps the execution not quite right, i would advocate giving him another chance …… Keegan could have been an advisor in finding the next manager!..

• Micky Toon

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:06 PM

XGB – If that happened I think we would be the club with the biggest season ticket waiting list in the UK. 🙂

• Ganiyu

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Ashley had that ambition.does anyone disagree wit me.if i said wenger brings in some unknown youngsters and finishes with d top four?

• Ganiyu

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:09 PM

• Ericles

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Another Mail lie. Can fans stop buying this rag, and the Sun? They have obviously got a down on NUFC and its fans.

• TOONPIPES

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Ganiyu ,.. i 100% blv MA had the ambition ..

• bowburnmag

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:23 PM

TOONPIPES – regardless of anyone’s feelings about this latest farce, the one thing we can all agree on, and it doesn’t really need to be said, is that we want what’s best for our club. We all care hugely about it. Whether your happy with Ashley’s approach or someone spending their own fortune, we all agree we’re happy as long as we’re not borrowing against the club and risking it’s existence. We all want quality plays on the pitch. On the Keegan thing, you either dig him or you don’t, so you blame him or you don’t. I might be simplifying it slightly but you get my drift. Despite reports to the contrary, most of us are quite patient provided we believe in the plans sold to us. Not sure where we go from here but I hope wherever it is, we become slightly more united than we’ve been of late.

• rooks

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:27 PM

can’t say I’m happy about the idea of being owned by some foreign multi billionaire owner. They’d drop us quicker than a sh1t sandwich if they needed the cash. It’ s all about the money boys and (to quote from our good friend Ganiyu) foreign ownsership is too ‘threatful’ to the Premier League’s future – it’s going to IMPLODE as soon as one (or more) of these guys stock s / shares goes t1ts up. Much less dangerouserer to have someone with less dosh who cares about the club.

• TOONPIPES

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:31 PM

We do all want what is best for the club .. problem is that i blv the ”geordie nations view” of MA ooot and King Kev back …. will bring about the worst for the club and it is this that has in part made me so angry with Keegan ….. Also you refer to possible ways of financing purchases – whilst not a geordie, i do not blv MA would saddle the club with debts – HOWEVER i strongly blv most other investors would …….. glaziers / gillet+hicks / abramovich (lent 500 million to Chelsea) .. these guys are all either lending money to the clubs or borrowing against future earnings .. another reason why i like MA – we dont know we are born with him … honestly ..

• TOONPIPES

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Roocks … agreed mate … thats what i think too … i think MA does care ….. the geordie nation blvs that becos we havent singed Beckham – that he doesnt ..

• bowburnmag

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:34 PM

rooks – that’s a risk we take with anyone really though? Any owner’s cash can start disappearing? If an owner needed to sell, they’d need to sell. I don’t think the fact it’s a foreign investor would expedite the threat. Personally, I’m not sure I like the idea of a foreign investor and although I’m not a xenphobe, I have nothing to back up my words other than to say I’m old-fashioned and traditional (despite being only 30) and like the idea of regional belonging and control. For that matter, I’m comfortable with foregoing my likes and dislikes, in favour of what’s best for the club. And I hope I’ll be vindicated in the end.

• Big Dave

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Toonpipes well said i can agree with most of what you said as i said all along there is 3 side’s to this mess MA’s side KK’s side and the truth.

• TOONPIPES

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Know what you saying Bowburnmag .. it is difficult to reason against the big foreign investor without givin people a chance to call you xenephobe .. but its just a personal traditional preference!! nothing more .. im 30 too and i ustand your point .. poiint with MA is that i think he was trying to minimise the risk to the club if his personal fortune was threatened .. whilst it might be that situation arises whereby he would have to sell .. the idea would be that NUFC would not be unduly affected .. due to lack of debts ..

• TOONPIPES

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Big Dave – cheers ……. could have been sweet with MA and right man in charge ….. part of me hopes that as MA will insist on selling only to the right buyer .. it might take enough time for people to come round to understand what he was trying to do …………… then again i cud be walking in a dream land …. such a pity

• Micky Toon

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:48 PM

TOONPIPES – Walking in a dream land? So not a Keegan wonderland then? or are they the same thing 🙂

• Stamford Toon

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM

TOONPIPES; you have talked more sense than I have heard for a long time. Well done. Keep it up even if you like others agreeing with you face so much abuse. It looks just a little bit more like a discussion site now and we will all be the better for it. At times yo wouln’t think we all supported the same club.
    I always thought MA was good for the club, although lacking in his ability to communicate with the fans, and I shall be sorry to see him go.

• Ganiyu

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Toon pipes- i suggest an english billionaire or consortium buys the club and there by improving communication witho the club.it a shame if none is available.
    We av lads that can buy Nufc in my country but are not fans

• rooks

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:54 PM

actually thinkin about it perhaps my last comment was a little xenephobic. I just the want the new owners whether they be foreign or not to have INTEGRITY.

• SwedEric

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Good toonpipe… Said what I have tried to say for mounths! What I saw on sjp against Hull was short of embarrasing! Here in Sweden the football shows have almost made fun of us. Talked about the problem ofcourse, but showed fans talk absolute nonsense about Ashley.

Then I´m still confused how Ashleys statement yesterday can have changed so many peoples mind! What he said has been clear quite a long time. Just that people seem to want to look at the worst case possible and blame it on 1 (or two) people.

Guess Ashley wanted to own a football club, and when he got the chance he did it. The problem here is that people seems to think that just because someone bought the club we should start spend money like Abramovich and Abuh Dabi. When he could do that but tried to do it another way, a slower way, people started to hate him.

What you saw on saturday was a disgrace, and all Because Keegan didn´t get on with some on from the board.

Think you have done a good job here Ed. But the last 3 weeks you have listend to what the papers says, and takes that as the truth.

Understand people want to se us spend money, and we have a very thing squad atm… But this hate campain is stupid. And as you pointed out so many times Ed that Ashley and Wise showed the lack of leadership by not showing up… He didn´t do that because of the police told him, because the fans have got crazy.

Everyone know what was gonna happen, ofcourse he couldn´t be there…

• Toon Chicken

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Mickey Toon – the only one who’s walking is Keegan (AGAIN) but sadly we’re a million miles away from a friggin wonderland!!!

• Micky Toon

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Ganyiu – Is it you who keeps sending me e-mails about sending you money in return for even more money?

• Big Dave

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Thinking about all the stuff going on who in there right mind would buy us as the clear message is that if the new owner dosn’t do what the fans want there is going to be a big backlash from the fans so who in there right mind would want that bother. in a way i think the Cockney mafia banner was a bad idea as that is just turning more people against us. lastly i honestly believe in a few years from now a lot of people will believe that this has been a big mistake as it could take years to get over all this. As i have said numerous times i adore KK and he is the main reason i started to support the toon but i ALLWAYS believed that he would walk out on us at some stage as he is that type of person. but the strange thing about KK is that i would be glad to see him back again lol. and I for one would hate to see the club going the same route as chelski + man city etc.

• TOONPIPES

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Exactly Big Dave …. we are just making ourselves even less attractive to investors …… we shud be hoping and praying that MA stays …

• TOONPIPES

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Cheers stamford toon .. having taken quite a lot of abuse recently its re-assuring to think someone might agree with some of the things im saying … instead of me wondering if im going insane .. !!